where do I find an 11/16 spark plug socket

xyz

Nov 30, 2001, 10:52:45 AM11/30/01
I have an 11/16 deep socket for removing the spark plugs on my 2000
XL1200S, but what I really need is a spark plug socket that has the
little rubber grommet inside to grip the plug. I've been unable to find
one by calling local stores, or by internet search. Any ideas?

-----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! ==-----

Panhead

Nov 30, 2001, 11:14:30 AM11/30/01
xyz wrote:

> I have an 11/16 deep socket for removing the spark plugs on my 2000
> XL1200S, but what I really need is a spark plug socket that has the
> little rubber grommet inside to grip the plug. I've been unable to find
> one by calling local stores, or by internet search. Any ideas?

All the rubber is for (IMHO) is to "help" hold the plug tip in
the socket so that it don't fall out when removed ,or installing
in those hard to reach places where you can't first put the plug
in with yer fingers for the first few turns.

Totally unnecessary for a Harley, ifn ya ax me.

Make yer own if you feel you need it.

Jon

Nov 30, 2001, 1:53:24 PM11/30/01
Try Sears but actually you can use any deep 11/16 the rubber isn't all that
necessary.

Ryder Rick

Nov 30, 2001, 12:02:15 PM11/30/01
Any Mac, Snap-On, or Matco dealer should all be able to get you the correct
plug socket, which is by the way 17mm (not 11/16") which may be why you are
having trouble finding it.

RickB

"xyz" <x@y.z> wrote in message

Phil Boutros

Nov 30, 2001, 1:17:29 PM11/30/01
xyz <x@y.z> wrote:
> I have an 11/16 deep socket for removing the spark plugs on my 2000
> XL1200S,

How attached are you to your spark plugs? Try using a 5/8",
next time.

> but what I really need is a spark plug socket that has the
> little rubber grommet inside to grip the plug. I've been unable to find
> one by calling local stores, or by internet search. Any ideas?

Try again with the proper size, and you should be able to find
it almost anywhere (Sears, etc).

Phil
--
AH#61 Wolf#14 BS#89 bus#1 CCB#1 ph...@total.net
http://www.total.net/~philb http://eddiekieger.com

Phil Boutros

Nov 30, 2001, 1:34:05 PM11/30/01
Panhead <Panmy...@fcc.com> wrote:

> All the rubber is for (IMHO) is to "help" hold the plug tip in
> the socket so that it don't fall out when removed ,or installing
> in those hard to reach places where you can't first put the plug
> in with yer fingers for the first few turns.

Indeed,

> Totally unnecessary for a Harley, ifn ya ax me.

UNLESS you happen to have an XL1200S. This is the Sporty with
the dual plug heads, and the "second" plugs are basically in that
little chamber right in the center of the head.

You can try it with a piece of rubber hose as well, to get
them started.

Waro

Nov 30, 2001, 4:31:47 PM11/30/01
"xyz" <x@y.z> wrote in message
> I have an 11/16 deep socket for removing the spark plugs on my 2000
> XL1200S, but what I really need is a spark plug socket that has the
> little rubber grommet inside to grip the plug. I've been unable to find
> one by calling local stores, or by internet search. Any ideas?

Was working on a Yamie sport bike last weekend and Wedge showed me a neat
little trick. Use a piece of gas hose and shove the spark plug in one
end....great extender until you get it started.

--
Waro, 95ci 99 FXD, SENS

Roger Mauck

Nov 30, 2001, 7:40:46 PM11/30/01

Or an old plug wire boot off of a GM car. That makes a nice little
grip for a plug.

PAROADHOG

Dec 1, 2001, 10:15:20 AM12/1/01
>All the rubber is for (IMHO) is to "help" hold the plug tip in
>the socket so that it don't fall out when removed ,or installing
>in those hard to reach places where you can't first put the plug
>in with yer fingers for the first few turns.
>
> Totally unnecessary for a Harley, ifn ya ax me.

I've come to think the rubber's in there to cushion any contact the socket
could make with the porcelain .I recently traced a mysterious low speed miss to
a cracked plug insulator in an Autolite plug that I had installed . My deep
11/16 socket doesn't have the rubber either so from now on ill -borrow- the
rubber from my 5/8 socket when installing plugs.

Panhead

Dec 1, 2001, 10:43:29 AM12/1/01
PAROADHOG wrote:

> >All the rubber is for (IMHO) is to "help" hold the plug tip in
> >the socket so that it don't fall out when removed ,or installing
> >in those hard to reach places where you can't first put the plug
> >in with yer fingers for the first few turns.
> >
> > Totally unnecessary for a Harley, ifn ya ax me.
> >

> I've come to think the rubber's in there to cushion any contact the socket
> could make with the porcelain .

I believe that would be true if the socket didn't fit properly
or wasn't square on the hexagonal flats it was loosening, or
tightening.
But I was later told about the four plug heads where "easy
access" could be a factor.
If that is the case, or what you are seeing/saying below is the
case, making a "donut" to fit into the proper sized socket should
work just dandy if one can't be found.

Craig

Dec 1, 2001, 3:12:27 PM12/1/01
Warpo sez:
<you get it started.

Don't get me started big boy. That bike is back too.

I agree with Mr Boutros-- use a 5/8 socket and yer problems will go away.
regards
Craig

--
thanks for stopping at:
www.intowncycles.com

xyz

Dec 1, 2001, 10:41:29 PM12/1/01
In article <MPG.167175536...@binarykiller.news-feed.org>,
x@y.z says...
> where do I find an 11/16 spark plug socket

Thanks to all the kibitzers.

I do indeed have an XL1200S. It has four
plugs, two of which are deep inside a hole
(through which my big hands won't fit).
I bought an 11/16 deep socket,
(no the 17mm is too small) and I will use
a piece of fuel line to raise the old plugs out
of the hole and lower the new ones back in.

Dennis Peterson

Dec 2, 2001, 1:52:07 PM12/2/01
xyz wrote:

> In article <MPG.167175536...@binarykiller.news-feed.org>,
> x@y.z says...
> > where do I find an 11/16 spark plug socket
> >
> Thanks to all the kibitzers.
>
> I do indeed have an XL1200S. It has four
> plugs, two of which are deep inside a hole
> (through which my big hands won't fit).
> I bought an 11/16 deep socket,
> (no the 17mm is too small) and I will use
> a piece of fuel line to raise the old plugs out
> of the hole and lower the new ones back in.

Make certain you use an air hose or can of compressed air to blow the
debris out of the recess before you pull the plugs. Keeps your cylinders
clean.

dp

ThangFish

Dec 2, 2001, 9:09:17 PM12/2/01
Take a deep 11/16" socket (I welded a nut on top of mine to use with an
adjustable wrench on the road)
and shove a piece of fuel line or oil line in it. Works great.

The size IS 11/16" and if you think Mac, Snap-On or Matco even have it
listed in their catalog, it's because
you haven't checked.
--
TF

Put my handle in front of the domain name to email.

---
"Ryder Rick" <despam...@spamcop.net> wrote in message

pacifi...@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2014, 3:57:38 PM11/23/14
Actually, they are 17.5mm, and ARE exactly 11/16" according to NGK.

al...@m2dvd.com

Apr 4, 2019, 11:15:12 AM4/4/19
It's the same as the 18mm spark plug socket (3/8 inch drive available at Home Depot)$3.47

Phil Boutros

Apr 4, 2019, 2:20:18 PM4/4/19
al...@m2dvd.com <al...@m2dvd.com> wrote:
> On Friday, November 30, 2001 at 7:52:45 AM UTC-8, xyz wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> It's the same as the 18mm spark plug socket (3/8 inch drive
> available at Home Depot)$3.47

Do you really think he's still looking? If you read the thread on
Google Groups, like it seems you are, you'll notice he solved his
problems two days later...which was 17.5 years ago!

Phil
--
AH#61 Wolf#14 BS#89 bus#1 CCB#1 SENS KOTC#4
ph...@philb.ca http://philb.ca

Video Source One Business Account

Jun 28, 2022, 8:07:24 AM6/28/22
Yes, home depot has an 11/16 and it is an exact fit for nkg...that are on a 2000 40hp four stro k e mercury