Sport Bike for Guys 6' Tall

Kel620

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98

Which sportbikes would fit someone that's over 6' tall?

Honda CBR 1100?
Kawasaki ZX-11?
Yamaha YZF-1000?
Suzuki GSXRs or TLs?

K.W.
Kel...@aol.com

fu...@pucker.net

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
Most of the open classers suffer from a very short seat to peg
relationship. I had short ride on a Katana 1100, and knew
I couldn't live with it!

Sorry not to give a specific endorsment...my 86 FJ1200 fits me at 5'10"
just super! So I've no need, or CASH, for a new scoot!

Dave H.
86 FJ1200 to play
92 F150 to harrass the cagers!

Kel620 <kel...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19980929212316...@ng112.aol.com>...

Dominic Fisk

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
Kel620 wrote:

> Which sportbikes would fit someone that's over 6' tall?
>
> Honda CBR 1100?
> Kawasaki ZX-11?
> Yamaha YZF-1000?
> Suzuki GSXRs or TLs?

All are fine for 6' tall. Depends on how comfortable you want to be and
over what distance.

Apart from the Suzi's all the others you mention are really sports
tourers, is that what you are looking for or an out and out short burst
supersport ?

Best advice is go down the shop and try out the ones you like. Most
places will let you at least sit on the bikes.

Dom...(6ft 4 and YZF600)

mebe...@nospam.acornmedia.com

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98

>Which sportbikes would fit someone that's over 6' tall?
>
>Honda CBR 1100?
>Kawasaki ZX-11?
>Yamaha YZF-1000?
>Suzuki GSXRs or TLs?
>

>K.W.
>Kel...@aol.com

You probably don't have to go to such big displacement to get a bike
that'll fit you. All the YZF's I've been on have been pretty roomy,
even the 600's.

Go dealership hopping, and try some on for size. They won't let you
ride, most likely, but they will let you sit. Many places will hold
the bike so you can get both feet on the pegs.

Whatever feels right. Chances are, you'll know it when you feel it.
Things to look for: reach to the bars, footpeg height, width and level
of padding in the seat, how wadded up you feel on the bike, and, IMHO,
how thin it makes your wallet feel. If it feels too thin to you, the
bike doesn't fit, no matter what size it is.

BikeBoy
'95 YZF 600
Greater DC, USA

"The horn is not the brakes, John."

Martin Schuessler

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
Kel620 wrote:

> Which sportbikes would fit someone that's over 6' tall?
>
> Honda CBR 1100?
> Kawasaki ZX-11?
> Yamaha YZF-1000?
> Suzuki GSXRs or TLs?

I'm 6'2" and weigh 220. My current bike is a '96 Kawasaki ZX-9R.
Fits me well - no complaints. The ZX-11 is definitely more plush.
You shouldn't have any problems there either, ditto the Honda XX.
I've sat on both, but haven't ridden either.

THe Yamaha YZF600 was pretty comfy too, surprisingly so for a 600.
The Yamaha guy said the 1000 was the same size. No opinion on
the Suzukis. From everything I've read, they're supposed to be
medieval torture implements, but every once in a while you
run across a comment from a tall rider who is as happy as a
duck in water.

Martin
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ridge/7979

Greg Richardson

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
I'd say any of those are good, except the Suzukis. I'm 6'4" and tried
each of those - I ended up with a '98 YZF600 which I tour with all the
time. Legs just too cramped on the Suzis. Blackbird and Thunderace are
great choices, a little higher $ obviously. I would have gone for the
'ace, 'cept the clip-ons are below the triple clamp - tough on my tall
wrists. Just my $0.02.

mebe...@nospam.acornmedia.com wrote:

> >Which sportbikes would fit someone that's over 6' tall?
> >
> >Honda CBR 1100?
> >Kawasaki ZX-11?
> >Yamaha YZF-1000?
> >Suzuki GSXRs or TLs?
> >

> ><snip>

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
I'm 6'3" and ride a 97 YZF1000. Plenty of room and plenty of sportbike.

Dominic Fisk wrote:

> Kel620 wrote:
> >
> > Which sportbikes would fit someone that's over 6' tall?
> >
> > Honda CBR 1100?
> > Kawasaki ZX-11?
> > Yamaha YZF-1000?
> > Suzuki GSXRs or TLs?

Cscheels

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98

900!! unles you want a pig for cornering.

fu...@pucker.net

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98

Dominic Fisk <domini...@nwpeople.com> wrote in article
<36120A17...@nwpeople.com>...

> Kel620 wrote:
> >
> > Which sportbikes would fit someone that's over 6' tall?
> >
> > Honda CBR 1100?
> > Kawasaki ZX-11?
> > Yamaha YZF-1000?
> > Suzuki GSXRs or TLs?
> >

> All are fine for 6' tall. Depends on how comfortable you want to be and
> over what distance.
>
> Apart from the Suzi's all the others you mention are really sports
> tourers, is that what you are looking for or an out and out short burst
> supersport ?
>
> Best advice is go down the shop and try out the ones you like. Most
> places will let you at least sit on the bikes.
>

> Dom...(6ft 4 and YZF600)

MAN, ANOTHER praise piece for YZF600...I GOTTA ride on of them THANGS!!!

Dave H. Texas boy
86 FJ1200 for play
92 F150 for cage control!

Mike Beglinger

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98
: Kel620 <kel...@aol.com> wrote in article
: <19980929212316...@ng112.aol.com>...
: >
: > Which sportbikes would fit someone that's over 6' tall?

: >
: > Honda CBR 1100?
: > Kawasaki ZX-11?
: > Yamaha YZF-1000?
: > Suzuki GSXRs or TLs?
: >
: >
: > K.W.
: > Kel...@aol.com

My '98 ZX-9R gives me (6'-1") plenty of leg room. I've got 6'-5" friend
that's comfy on a '94 ZX-9R.

-Mike

Cully

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98

Kel620 wrote:

> Which sportbikes would fit someone that's over 6' tall?
>
> Honda CBR 1100?
> Kawasaki ZX-11?
> Yamaha YZF-1000?
> Suzuki GSXRs or TLs?
>
> K.W.
> Kel...@aol.com

I'm 6' 1"...I used to sometimes get charley horses and cramps and
stuff on both my FZR and CBR. I have found BMW's and Triumphs to be very
comfy for tall people...T-509s and T-595s, as well as BMW's R-1100
series are all a little taller...and the seat heights are adjustable.

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98
I'm 6'10" and the only bike I fit on properly is the CBR1100XX. What a
shame !!

Mike Beglinger <begl...@news.uidaho.edu> wrote in article
<6uv5c9$41h$1...@newshound.csrv.uidaho.edu>...

> : Kel620 <kel...@aol.com> wrote in article
> : <19980929212316...@ng112.aol.com>...
> : >

> : > Which sportbikes would fit someone that's over 6' tall?

> : >
> : > Honda CBR 1100?
> : > Kawasaki ZX-11?
> : > Yamaha YZF-1000?
> : > Suzuki GSXRs or TLs?
> : >
> : >
> : > K.W.
> : > Kel...@aol.com

Scott F Dunham

Oct 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/3/98

> I'm 6' 1"...I used to sometimes get charley horses and cramps and
>stuff on both my FZR and CBR. I have found BMW's and Triumphs to be very
>comfy for tall people...T-509s and T-595s, as well as BMW's R-1100
>series are all a little taller...and the seat heights are adjustable.

Good point! I'm 6'4 1/2" and my Triumph Trident fits me GREAT! In fact
one of the 'faults' I've read in magatines regarging the new Triumphs
(specifically the T3 models) is that they're too tall for most riders, but
it was one of the reasons I got mine in the first place. Anyway, make sure
you try the T595 and T509 before you buy anything!
Good luck either way,

--
<-------------- Scott F Dunham ------------->
<-------- - dun...@microweb.com ------------>

moseven

Oct 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/3/98
I imagine it depends on how much over 6' you are.
My friend is 6' $" and has a 97 GSXR-1100. He rides often and rarely
complains about the fit. He does wish the handlebars were a bit higher
because after about two hours of riding with his weight shifted forward, his
wrists are a bit numb.
He says that he probably should have gone with the GSXR-750.
Oh, I'm 5' 11" and I'll be getting a new Katana 750 for Christmas. Good
power, handling and lower insurance rates to boot.

Sasu Mattila

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98
I am 6'2" and very happy with my 1998 GSX-R600. I have done 400 mile day rides
with no complaints. And I commute daily in stop-and-go city traffic, too.

And on the track - whoah!

sasu

Iwan van der Valk

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98
How tall is that in metrics ?

Iwan

--
!! To reply remove SPAMBAN from my E-mail adress !!

____ _ _ _____
| _ \ | | | | | __ \
| |_) || | __ _ __| | ___ | |__) | _ _ _ __ _ __ ___ _ __
| _ < | | / _` | / _` | / _ \| _ / | | | || '_ \ | '_ \ / _ \| '__|
| |_) || || (_| || (_| || __/| | \ \ | |_| || | | || | | || __/| |
|____/ |_| \__,_| \__,_| \___||_| \_\ \__,_||_| |_||_| |_| \___||_|

Search and Destroy

Honda CBR900RR "FireBlade"

jau

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98
Suzuki, litre size, katana is gentler on the knees and has a longer stretch
to the bars as does the Kawasaki zx11.Both peg placements are less severe
than the GSXR.
I'm 6' + w/long legs and arms.
Of course it depends how long you usually spend on the bike and
what type of riding you do.
Jim

SteKwack

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98

I am about 188cm, and my RF was very comfy, completely stock. but my passengers
suffered, very high rear pegs
Steve. UK

Scott Winders

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98
Folks,

I am 6' 3" (1.91 meters) tall and the Kawasaki '98 ZX-9R fits me
well. So does the Honda VTR1000F and even the Yamaha YZF1000R1. I
have not ridden the TLS for any distance but that bike works as
does the TLR.

My inseam is 36" (91 centimeters) if that helps.

Scott Winders
sc...@winders.com

In article <01bdf193$86620820$d65baccf@default>, "hurleb2"
<hur...@erols.com> wrote:

> 6 feet equals 1.83 meters.
>
> Iwan van der Valk <Iwanita...@wxs.nl> wrote in article
> <3619186C...@wxs.nl>...

hurleb2

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98
Well not truly a sport bike, I ride a 94 Suzuki Katana 750 and am 6'4.5"
tall and 220 lbs.
I've ridden my bike out to Albany from Hartford all around that day and the
next and back. At that point the riding was getting to be a bit much but I
think 8-10 hours out of 36 is a bit much for most.

moseven <mos...@email.msn.com> wrote in article
<OjJYFz379GA.159@upnetnews05>...

> I imagine it depends on how much over 6' you are.
> My friend is 6' $" and has a 97 GSXR-1100. He rides often and rarely
> complains about the fit. He does wish the handlebars were a bit higher
> because after about two hours of riding with his weight shifted forward,
his
> wrists are a bit numb.
> He says that he probably should have gone with the GSXR-750.
> Oh, I'm 5' 11" and I'll be getting a new Katana 750 for Christmas. Good
> power, handling and lower insurance rates to boot.
>
> Kel620 wrote in message <19980929212316...@ng112.aol.com>...
> >

> >Which sportbikes would fit someone that's over 6' tall?
> >
> >Honda CBR 1100?
> >Kawasaki ZX-11?
> >Yamaha YZF-1000?
> >Suzuki GSXRs or TLs?
> >

> >K.W.
> >Kel...@aol.com

hurleb2

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98
6 feet equals 1.83 meters.

Iwan van der Valk <Iwanita...@wxs.nl> wrote in article
<3619186C...@wxs.nl>...
> How tall is that in metrics ?
>
> Iwan

Iwan van der Valk

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98
In that case: being 1.88 I'm perfectly OK on my Blade, and so is my
riding-buddy who is 1.95.

Iwan

hurleb2 schreef:

Robbin

Oct 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/9/98
so only 1100 cc bikes will fit someone 6'?

what if one (me) is a newbie and doesn't wanna start off on a people killer?

Sasu Mattila

Oct 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/9/98
to Robbin
> so only 1100 cc bikes will fit someone 6'?

I am 6'2" (188 cm), and perfectly happy at least on these bikes:

Suzuki GSF-600 Bandit '97
Suzuki GSX-R600 '97
Kawasaki Z250C '82
600-750 enduro-tourers (Tenere, Africa Twin)
Kawasaki GPZ500
Suzuki GSF-750 from the 1980s

Right now I am considering buying a Suzuki RGV250 or Aprilia RS250.
I am not at all afraid that they would be uncomfortable.

sasu

Erik Astrup

Oct 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/9/98
On Fri, 09 Oct 1998 14:05:40 +0200, Sasu Mattila
<sasu.m...@regex.fi> wrote:

>Right now I am considering buying a Suzuki RGV250 or Aprilia RS250.
>I am not at all afraid that they would be uncomfortable.

You should be. I'm 6' and have ridden and raced a TZR 250 and after 40
minutes on the thing (racing) I started getting really uncomfortable.
At your height, especially if you have long legs (32"+) the problem
is fitting on the thing. It can be done of course, but an F3 feels
like a lounge chair in comparison.

** I'm not an expert, but I play one on the Internet **
Erik Astrup
1995 Triumph Tiger - 1993 TDM850
Team Iguana Racing (Ret!)
http://www.mother.com/~eastrup/

Dave Haines

Oct 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/12/98
Robbin wrote:

> so only 1100 cc bikes will fit someone 6'?
>
> what if one (me) is a newbie and doesn't wanna start off on a people killer?

A 250 is a people killer if you don't respect it.

I am 6' 1" and have never found any bike too uncomfortable to ride for
at least one tankful of petrol as long as it has a fairing - even an
NSR250 MC21 which has to have the most ridiculous riding posistion ever.

Footpegs/bars can always be moved/adjusted.

Ryan Hill

Oct 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/12/98
Pretty much any of the sport bikes would be adequate for someone thats 6'
tall. I'm 6' and have long legs (36" inseam) and I ride a '97 YZF600R, which
fits me just fine. I bought my machine as a left over and have not put too
many miles on it yet but 100 miles is perfectly comfortable in one sitting.

Jon

Oct 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/14/98

Dave Haines <d.ha...@virgin.net> wrote in article
<36226C...@virgin.net>...

> Robbin wrote:
> >
> > so only 1100 cc bikes will fit someone 6'?
> >
> > what if one (me) is a newbie and doesn't wanna start off on a people
killer?

> A 250 is a people killer if you don't respect it.

Ditto to that last line.
I am 6'0" and ride a '89 Ninja 250. I really enjoy it. On last weekend's
ride from Pittsburgh, PA to Niagara Falls, NY, the most uncomfotable
experience was the seat itself. It could really stand a gel insert and some
new foam. But that WAS a 5-1/2 hour ride...