Poll... a good flame topic for the day ;-)

coca cola girl

Nov 26, 2002, 8:00:46 PM11/26/02
Am i an awful mother???

Tyler wants to walk everywhere/go outside all the time. I like to let him
walk without holding my hand... so today... I bought a *gasp* harness and
reins....

So... for a nice flamey topic ;-) what are your thoughts on safety
restraints for little ones?

I know I used to look at children with harnesses on and go 'How awful' but
since having a little boy who wants to walk more and more I'm trying to
reach a compromise...

--
Sue
***There are still cheques in my cheque book...

Alissa

Nov 26, 2002, 8:10:30 PM11/26/02
I agree it looks awful....but now I have one I can imagine how hard it is, I
could not possibly chase dd if she ran away from me, ( oh what asight it
would be) I think you have to go with saftey first but expect to get some
looks....as long as you don't drag Tyler along like a dog...lol..
let us know how you go...
"coca cola girl" <n...@goaway.com> wrote in message

coca cola girl

Nov 26, 2002, 8:18:22 PM11/26/02

"Alissa" <tak...@ihug.com.au> wrote in message

> I agree it looks awful....but now I have one I can imagine how hard it is,
> could not possibly chase dd if she ran away from me, ( oh what asight it
> would be) I think you have to go with saftey first but expect to get some
> looks....as long as you don't drag Tyler along like a dog...lol..

LMFAO... you know.. I was walking with him and thinking "who needs a
puppy"... ;-)

Sue

Alissa

Nov 26, 2002, 8:19:23 PM11/26/02
you just need to teach him to bark at the people who give you a strange
look.....now that would be funny!

Teri

Nov 26, 2002, 8:51:07 PM11/26/02

"coca cola girl" <n...@goaway.com> wrote in message

That reminds me - when my gf's nephew was 2.5yo - his mom used one of those
harnesses, because he was a real run-awayer and she couldn't keep him in
check ... the first time she used it - in a mall - the little boy started
barking like a dog and wouldn't stop. LMAO thinking about it!
-Teri

Nan

Nov 26, 2002, 8:58:36 PM11/26/02
coca cola girl wrote:
> Am i an awful mother???
>
> Tyler wants to walk everywhere/go outside all the time. I like to
> let him walk without holding my hand... so today... I bought a *gasp*
> harness and reins....
>
> So... for a nice flamey topic ;-) what are your thoughts on safety
> restraints for little ones?
>
> I know I used to look at children with harnesses on and go 'How
> awful' but since having a little boy who wants to walk more and more
> I'm trying to reach a compromise...

I used one with ds because he liked to walk, but he'd wander off in stores.
I never gave a rip what anyone thought about it ;-)

Nan

michelle downunder

Nov 26, 2002, 9:03:23 PM11/26/02
On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 14:00:46 +1300, "coca cola girl" <n...@goaway.com>
wrote:

>Am i an awful mother???
>
>Tyler wants to walk everywhere/go outside all the time. I like to let him
>walk without holding my hand... so today... I bought a *gasp* harness and
>reins....
>
>So... for a nice flamey topic ;-) what are your thoughts on safety
>restraints for little ones?
>
>I know I used to look at children with harnesses on and go 'How awful' but
>since having a little boy who wants to walk more and more I'm trying to
>reach a compromise...

i have 2 sets .... one for the high chair.. and one for the car...
would you rather a child that is alive and safe or......

i used to have the wrist strap style... but they were useless.

Michelle

Jarkat2002

Nov 26, 2002, 9:24:08 PM11/26/02
>Am i an awful mother???
>
>Tyler wants to walk everywhere/go outside all the time. I like to let him
>walk without holding my hand... so today... I bought a *gasp* harness and
>reins....
>
>So... for a nice flamey topic ;-) what are your thoughts on safety
>restraints for little ones?
>
>I know I used to look at children with harnesses on and go 'How awful' but
>since having a little boy who wants to walk more and more I'm trying to
>reach a compromise...
>
>--
>Sue

You are NOT a bad mother .. your a mom that wants her child to be safe.
I used them ... and I'll used them again ... no matter what the rude old people
in the mall say!
so there! lol
~Kat

*****Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again. *****

Cheryl

Nov 26, 2002, 10:01:45 PM11/26/02
<n...@goaway.com> wrote:

>Am i an awful mother???
>
>Tyler wants to walk everywhere/go outside all the time. I like to let him
>walk without holding my hand... so today... I bought a *gasp* harness and
>reins....
>
>So... for a nice flamey topic ;-) what are your thoughts on safety
>restraints for little ones?
>
>I know I used to look at children with harnesses on and go 'How awful' but
>since having a little boy who wants to walk more and more I'm trying to
>reach a compromise...

I've used them with Drew and still use the threat of one to keep him
in line. It was better for my sanity with a newborn to have a
harness to keep Drew inside the shopping centre instead of out in
the carpark. He learnt how to climb out of the 5 point harness at
around the same time as Reece was born.

--
Cheryl

DS#1 (Mar 99), DS#2 (Oct 00)
DD born 30 Jul 02

bimbette

Nov 26, 2002, 11:28:41 PM11/26/02
Michyshelly said:

> i have 2 sets .... one for the high chair.. and one for the car...
> would you rather a child that is alive and safe or......

So you tie them to the highchair and have them run beside the car? :p

bimbette

<shell...@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

Christine & Steve

Nov 27, 2002, 12:08:44 AM11/27/02
i am thinking of getting one myself. I would rather have grumpy old
biddies/new age freedom types in the shopping centre tell me i am a bad
person (not that they have) than a squashed child. I have a wrist strap,
and it is sort of ok....

annabellz

Nov 27, 2002, 12:09:29 AM11/27/02

"coca cola girl" <n...@goaway.com> wrote in message

Personally I think they are okay. They keep a child safe in a world that at
times may not be safe for them to walk alone. One of those personal
parenting decision I support either way.

Our older dd never ran out or away so we wouldn't have needed such a device
but our 2nd lil one is a runner and boy can she run... so if we were to be
in a situation where I thought this would be unsafe I'd get a harness too.

Anni

little bunny fu-fu

Nov 27, 2002, 12:41:38 AM11/27/02
In article <as15g2$qgd$1...@lust.ihug.co.nz>, n...@goaway.com says...

> Am i an awful mother???
>
> Tyler wants to walk everywhere/go outside all the time. I like to let him
> walk without holding my hand... so today... I bought a *gasp* harness and
> reins....
>
> So... for a nice flamey topic ;-) what are your thoughts on safety
> restraints for little ones?
>
> I know I used to look at children with harnesses on and go 'How awful' but
> since having a little boy who wants to walk more and more I'm trying to
> reach a compromise...

I never used one, I was the mean ol' mom *dragging* a kicking screaming
toddler across the busy street or down the toy isle instead. (because
he'd decided to throw a tantrum in teh most inconvenient of places)

/waves

--

Christine

if you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen.

how can I miss you if you won't go away?

coca cola girl

Nov 27, 2002, 12:44:45 AM11/27/02

"little bunny fu-fu" <goodfai...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> In article <as15g2$qgd$1...@lust.ihug.co.nz>, n...@goaway.com says...
> > Am i an awful mother???
> >
> > Tyler wants to walk everywhere/go outside all the time. I like to let
him
> > walk without holding my hand... so today... I bought a *gasp* harness
and
> > reins....
> >
> > So... for a nice flamey topic ;-) what are your thoughts on safety
> > restraints for little ones?
> >
> > I know I used to look at children with harnesses on and go 'How awful'
but
> > since having a little boy who wants to walk more and more I'm trying to
> > reach a compromise...
>
> I never used one, I was the mean ol' mom *dragging* a kicking screaming
> toddler across the busy street or down the toy isle instead. (because
> he'd decided to throw a tantrum in teh most inconvenient of places)

Hey stranger!!!
WB
*hugs*
/pulls out a packet of tim tams quietly and hands em over

I just hate trying to hold his hand/arm when he's trying to pull away... he
usually manages to get out of my grip... must admid tho, walking down the
street today i felt like I was walking a puppy... but puppies don't stop and
sit down paddying cause you make them go YOUR way
;-)

Sue

little bunny fu-fu

Nov 27, 2002, 12:53:51 AM11/27/02
In article <as1m4f$9ea$1...@lust.ihug.co.nz>, n...@goaway.com says...

I put my pinkie finger in behind his wrist. That way when he *does* let
go he can't just slip away running. <g> my mom used to do it to me, even
when I was 9! (can you picture it? imagine him holding your forefinger
and then you holding his hand normally except slipping your pinkie
around his wrist)

NO SPAM@optusnet.com.au Melissa Young

Nov 27, 2002, 1:30:48 AM11/27/02
hmmm ok I have no problem with a harness. If having my child on a harness
means he can walk with me safely rather than running off and getting hit by
a car then that what's important. I know I couldnt have chased my kids down
the street whjen they ran off lol!
Melsisa

the3girls

Nov 27, 2002, 3:19:20 AM11/27/02

coca cola girl wrote in message ...

>Am i an awful mother???
>
>Tyler wants to walk everywhere/go outside all the time. I like to let him
>walk without holding my hand... so today... I bought a *gasp* harness and
>reins....
>
>So... for a nice flamey topic ;-) what are your thoughts on safety
>restraints for little ones?
>
>I know I used to look at children with harnesses on and go 'How awful' but
>since having a little boy who wants to walk more and more I'm trying to
>reach a compromise...

I'd tie a sleigh on & get *right* into the Chrissie spirit ..... or

I'd tie on a sled and let the kidlet pull around all the stuff you usually
haul

Seriously tho Sue ... how about a compromise in buying an umbrella stroller,
I can almost guarentee its the short term answer to just about all your
problems :) heheh (you might end up with a boy racer on your hands tho)

"packhorse Sandi"

coca cola girl

Nov 27, 2002, 3:30:31 AM11/27/02

"the3girls" <the3...@iprimus.com.au> wrote in message

ya know... I was looking at them today but they are too expensive
considering the value of our fantastic buggy... his main problem is he
doesn't wanna sit in the pushchair... he wants OUT... and going to the park
etc would be great if he could walk as it's just up the road and he loves it

> "packhorse Sandi"

Marcelle

Nov 27, 2002, 4:06:55 AM11/27/02
"coca cola girl" <n...@goaway.com> wrote in message news:<as15g2$qgd$1...@lust.ihug.co.nz>...
> Am i an awful mother???
>
> Tyler wants to walk everywhere/go outside all the time. I like to let him
> walk without holding my hand... so today... I bought a *gasp* harness and
> reins....
>
> So... for a nice flamey topic ;-) what are your thoughts on safety
> restraints for little ones?
>
> I know I used to look at children with harnesses on and go 'How awful' but
> since having a little boy who wants to walk more and more I'm trying to
> reach a compromise...

I agree it is awful. I hated the look of it. But ...

I did use one on Chelsea for about a week, until she learned if she
didn't stay out of other people's gardens on a walk, the harness would
go on. DS has never let me hold his hand much on walks, but if we're
in crowded places he stays pretty close.

Good luck
Marc

otterbOt

Nov 27, 2002, 4:22:03 AM11/27/02
"coca cola girl" <n...@goaway.com> wrote in message
> Am i an awful mother???
>
> Tyler wants to walk everywhere/go outside all the time. I like to let him
> walk without holding my hand... so today... I bought a *gasp* harness and
> reins....
>
> So... for a nice flamey topic ;-) what are your thoughts on safety
> restraints for little ones?
>
> I know I used to look at children with harnesses on and go 'How awful' but
> since having a little boy who wants to walk more and more I'm trying to
> reach a compromise...

i do think they're awful & wouldn't use one, but i accept some people
probably need them so i don't think anything bad of people who use them (i
just assume their kid must have a behaviour problem or something).

having said that, i made sure my children knew & respond to several commands
very early on in the piece, one was "stop", & the other was "hold hands". if
they wanted to walk, fine, but they had to either hold my hand or hold the
pram handle with my hand over theirs, no ifs or buts cos if they didn't i
would carry them or put them in the pram.

two things i dislike seeing are children not holding hands or attached some
other way, & children on a harness walking along sideways & tripping people
over in shopping centres. the reason i think harnesses are mostly a blight &
rarely a blessing is that the child learns nothing except how to get tangled
around upright displays in shops. :-)
kylie

Diana Stötzer

Nov 27, 2002, 4:10:38 AM11/27/02
In article <as15g2$qgd$1...@lust.ihug.co.nz>, n...@goaway.com says...
> So... for a nice flamey topic ;-) what are your thoughts on safety
> restraints for little ones?
> I know I used to look at children with harnesses on and go 'How awful' but
> since having a little boy who wants to walk more and more I'm trying to
> reach a compromise...
gg I used to think the same, until DS got old enough to really start
running.

I have a harness myself for DS, but more as a threat.
I have used it twice or so in the zoo, when I was there alone with the
kids.
DS hates it, as it means he has to go exactly where I want him to, but
I am better safe than sorry.
I have heard of too many kids that ran onto the street or that were
abducted or that were missing for hours.

In the meantime he stays where I want him to most of the time, so I
haven't used it since the summer.

Bye from Hamburg,
Diana
who has a day off thanks to DD being feverish. :-(

Rorqhual

Nov 27, 2002, 4:28:19 AM11/27/02
"coca cola girl" <n...@goaway.com> wrote in message
> Am i an awful mother???
>
> Tyler wants to walk everywhere/go outside all the time. I like to let him
> walk without holding my hand... so today... I bought a *gasp* harness and
> reins....
>
> So... for a nice flamey topic ;-) what are your thoughts on safety
> restraints for little ones?
>
> I know I used to look at children with harnesses on and go 'How awful' but
> since having a little boy who wants to walk more and more I'm trying to
> reach a compromise...

I dunno, Sue. Harnesses may *look* bad, but isn't that better than Tyler
getting caught in the treads of a juggernaut and stencilled across major US
Highways?
Seriously, can you be *sure* you can watch him every second? If not (and I
speak as one who barely remembers such things) a harness/restraint might
well give him the feeling of freedom (he's not holding Mum's hand, after
all), while still giving you the peace of mind you might need.
Just a thought (barely)
:o)

coca cola girl

Nov 27, 2002, 5:08:03 AM11/27/02

"Rorqhual" <macf...@bticonnect.com> wrote in message

> "coca cola girl" <n...@goaway.com> wrote in message
> > Am i an awful mother???
> >
> > Tyler wants to walk everywhere/go outside all the time. I like to let
him
> > walk without holding my hand... so today... I bought a *gasp* harness
and
> > reins....
> >
> > So... for a nice flamey topic ;-) what are your thoughts on safety
> > restraints for little ones?
> >
> > I know I used to look at children with harnesses on and go 'How awful'
but
> > since having a little boy who wants to walk more and more I'm trying to
> > reach a compromise...
> >
> I dunno, Sue. Harnesses may *look* bad, but isn't that better than Tyler
> getting caught in the treads of a juggernaut and stencilled across major
US
> Highways?

*grin* guaranteed NOT to happen ;-)
I'm in NZ :D

Sue

coca cola girl

Nov 27, 2002, 5:08:12 AM11/27/02

"Diana Stötzer" <di...@adck.de> wrote in message

Oh no!!!
Hope she will be ok!

Diana Stötzer

Nov 27, 2002, 7:20:17 AM11/27/02
Hi, Sue!

In article <as25ie$tns$1...@lust.ihug.co.nz>, n...@goaway.com says...

> > who has a day off thanks to DD being feverish. :-(
>
> Oh no!!!
> Hope she will be ok!

If I recall the english name correctly, she has tonsillitis (or
something like that, you surely know what I mean).
The fever has dropped now, but her temperature is still not back to
normal. At least she is not as clingy today as she was yesterday.
I hope she will be okay enough to go to daycare on friday, as I really
need to go to lessons that day, but I doubt it.
She gets antibiotics since yesterday evening, and I am again astonished
how fast these meds help her.

I plan to do risotto today for dinner, and I think I will plan in ice
cream as a dessert.

Bye from Hamburg,
Diana

Rorqhual

Nov 27, 2002, 10:07:13 AM11/27/02

> "Rorqhual" <macf...@bticonnect.com> wrote in message
> > "coca cola girl" <n...@goaway.com> wrote in message
> > > Am i an awful mother???
> > >
> > > Tyler wants to walk everywhere/go outside all the time. I like to let
> him
> > > walk without holding my hand... so today... I bought a *gasp* harness
> and
> > > reins....
> > >
> > > So... for a nice flamey topic ;-) what are your thoughts on safety
> > > restraints for little ones?
> > >
> > > I know I used to look at children with harnesses on and go 'How awful'
> but
> > > since having a little boy who wants to walk more and more I'm trying
> > > reach a compromise...
> > >
> > I dunno, Sue. Harnesses may *look* bad, but isn't that better than Tyler
> > getting caught in the treads of a juggernaut and stencilled across major
> US
> > Highways?
>
> *grin* guaranteed NOT to happen ;-)
> I'm in NZ :D

Sorry. kidlet. Not in the US either, but I tend to assume that anyone except
me posting to Usenet *is*
preparing the toasted bootlace as we speak (or is that squeak?)
:o)

Sarah

Nov 27, 2002, 4:12:09 PM11/27/02

Diana Stötzer wrote:

> If I recall the english name correctly, she has tonsillitis (or
> something like that, you surely know what I mean).
> The fever has dropped now, but her temperature is still not back to
> normal. At least she is not as clingy today as she was yesterday.
> I hope she will be okay enough to go to daycare on friday, as I really
> need to go to lessons that day, but I doubt it.
> She gets antibiotics since yesterday evening, and I am again astonished
> how fast these meds help her.
>
> I plan to do risotto today for dinner, and I think I will plan in ice
> cream as a dessert.
>
> Bye from Hamburg,
> Diana

I hope she feels better soon, tonsillitis is awful. It sounds like you have
a good menu planned though.
Sarah

llama mama

Dec 2, 2002, 11:59:06 AM12/2/02
"coca cola girl" <n...@goaway.com> wrote in

> Am i an awful mother???
>
> Tyler wants to walk everywhere/go outside all the time. I like to let
> him walk without holding my hand... so today... I bought a *gasp*
> harness and reins....

we bought one for Boo <shrug>. we travel a lot & it really makes sense at
highway rest stops where a snatched kid could be gone in seconds, not to
mention keeping them out of the travel lanes, etc.
we thought the harness was too stiff & the 4' lead too short, so we
switched to using a retractable dog lead clipped to a beltloop. he even
picked out his own :) the retractable leads come in different lengths,
from 6' to 50', and most have a lock feature, so you can decide how far
you want to let him get from you. if i have to shop alone with Boo, i
lock it at 10'. that way he can't get into anything i can't see.
for general walks, i don't use it though. not enough traffic or people
around here to warrant it.
lee
--
The most effective kind of education is that a child should play amongst
lovely things. -Plato, philosopher (427-347 BCE)

Jarkat2002

Dec 2, 2002, 12:04:45 PM12/2/02
>we bought one for Boo <shrug>. we travel a lot & it really makes sense at
>highway rest stops where a snatched kid could be gone in seconds, not to
>mention keeping them out of the travel lanes, etc.
> we thought the harness was too stiff & the 4' lead too short, so we
>switched to using a retractable dog lead clipped to a beltloop. he even
>picked out his own :) the retractable leads come in different lengths,
>from 6' to 50', and most have a lock feature, so you can decide how far
>you want to let him get from you. if i have to shop alone with Boo, i
>lock it at 10'. that way he can't get into anything i can't see.
> for general walks, i don't use it though. not enough traffic or people
>around here to warrant it.
>lee

I remember seeing a retractable harness that you could hook on your belt loop.
Keeping your hands free to push a stroller or whatever :)
I'm thinking of getting one for DD but can't find one anywhere.

llama mama

Dec 2, 2002, 12:08:47 PM12/2/02
"Christine & Steve" <s...@REMOVETHISbigpond.net.au> wrote in

> i am thinking of getting one myself. I would rather have grumpy old
> biddies/new age freedom types in the shopping centre tell me i am a
> bad person (not that they have) than a squashed child. I have a
> wrist strap, and it is sort of ok....

the wrist straps are kinda false security. i used to work in a mall. one
day a mom & her aprox.2-3 year old son were in the mall. mom stopped to
look at one of the kiosk shops. little boy took off his wriststrap &
carefully fastened it to mom's purse, which she had also set down. he
then proceeded to tear off up the mall (during Christmas shopping season)
while mom continued to look at the kiosk. since she felt weight at the
end of the lead (her purse), she wasn't paying attention to those of us
trying to tell her the kid took off....

jay jay

Dec 2, 2002, 12:19:07 PM12/2/02
My opinion ...

I am all for leashes and restraints on kids. I admit - it looks a little
odd. But seriously. Kids are kids - the little ones are sneaky. I
recall when DS was 3 yrs old I was in the mall shopping with a friend. DS
was in his stroller (umbrella type) I had stroller next to me and was
looking at some shirts as I was shopping for a gift. Turned back to
stroller, DS was gone. I panicked. My friend and I are searchign the
store - luckily a store clerk found DS (who was also scared) picked himup
and had him on his shoulders (busy store, etc) so that adults could see him.
I'll never forget that.

And, there is always the old "hiding in clothing racks" trick that kids love
to do. I know I did it as a child, and DS has done it to me. Luckily
though - he's never done anything serious since that one incident. My mom
is manager of a local retail discount clothing shop - so when we are in her
store he has free reign and does the clothing hiding thing - but its a small
store, very quiet and I don't lose him there.

Parental control over kids is needed. If you have a wild child and need a
restraint to keep child from roaming - I commend you for doing it! I can
say - after the week on the cruise and seeing how many parents left their
children unsupervised - I was amazed! I seriously think parents need to
regain control of their kids. (example - on a cruise ship with 3500
passengers, 1000+ staff so about 5000 people - its 11:30pm and a 10 yr old
kid was in the lounge watching a comedy show by himself. When asked where
his parents were his response "they are in their room sleeping". WTF -
what is a 10 yr old kid doing in a lounge at 11:30pm by himself,
unsupervised. OK - that is a rant for a different subject....

"coca cola girl" <n...@goaway.com> wrote in message

> Am i an awful mother???
>
> Tyler wants to walk everywhere/go outside all the time. I like to let him
> walk without holding my hand... so today... I bought a *gasp* harness and
> reins....
>

> So... for a nice flamey topic ;-) what are your thoughts on safety
> restraints for little ones?
>
> I know I used to look at children with harnesses on and go 'How awful' but
> since having a little boy who wants to walk more and more I'm trying to
> reach a compromise...

llama mama

Dec 3, 2002, 8:46:23 AM12/3/02
jarka...@aol.come.on (Jarkat2002) wrote in

look in the ad section of Dog Fancy or one of the dog magazines. i've
seen ads, but never seen one in person. i'd forgotten about them,
actually, but now that you reminded me, they do seem really handy
especially with more than one kid to wrangle :)