6 yr old w/Leukemia in T.O - Update

Sharky

Sep 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/5/96

Shawna Update - September 4, 1996
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Shawna Mathurin is a 6 yr old Ottawa-area (Kanata) girl, presently
at the Hospital for sick children. She underwent a bone marrow
transplant on August 15, 1996 at 8pm. Her mom, Tammy, is in Toronto
with her.

Shawna is presently receiving morphine and demerol to help with a
series of ulcerative sores in her throat and mouth, common in this
procedure after receiving several bouts of radiation. Constant
vomiting is irritating the sores. She is fed intravenously only.

She is also receiving anti-rejection drugs. The match they found
for Shawna was not perfect, only meeting 5 of the 6 matching
criteria. Shawna is in total isolation, cannot be touched, held
or kissed by mom or relatives. Her feet are not permitted to
touch the floor.

Cell activity has been negligible since the BMT. Counts have gone up
to a '3', only to fall back down to '0'. They are currently back up
to '3'.

Two weeks ago we reported Shawna's BMT and asked that folks send
a card or note to Shawna wishing her well, in the hopes that this
would cheer her up. We would like to thank Shawna's "angel" in
Halifax, Nova Scotia. We ask that those of you who read please
send Shawna a card. She is bored to tears, literally. Help us
bring some smiles to this courageous little girl's face. She will
be celebrating her 7th birthday on September 18, 1996, at the
hospital no doubt.

Also, there has been a webpage set up, without a counter, at

http://www.icom.ca/~sharky/14Sands.html

that includes a special poem written for Shawna, and others like her,
together with some links to Leukemia Resources and pages of other
kids with successful, unsuccessful, and pending BMTs. Please feel free
to pass the poem along to others.

Shawna's Address is:

Shawna Mathurin
c/o Hospital for Sick Children
555 University Avenue
Floor 8b
Toronto, Ontario
M5G 1X8
phone (416) 813-6915 (for verification of this post)

Thanks to all.

Christine & Mike Robinson (Aunt & Uncle)