VCUG results

JEANNEPAUL

Sep 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/20/00
I am the mom who posted VCUG questions here about 6 weeks ago. We fought the
Dr. and they finally agreed to sedate her. She had the procedure today and the
oral Versed was wonderful. She was awake and even alert during the whole
process, but very very relaxed. The VCUG itself showed no abnormalities. As
kind of an afterthought, the Radiologist order an ultrasound of her kidneys to
see if everything was alright there. Well, things are not allright. She
doesn't have a right kidney. Her left kidney is quite enlarged. They think
they found some type of a small mass behind her bladder that might be her right
kidney "tissue". More tests are needed and I am devastated. I need help from
you all. My baby girl is 2 and she is adopted..so that explains why this was
not detected in utero. Anyone out there living with just one kidney..I could
sure use some reassurances that she will have a full, long and normal life.

melvalena

Sep 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/20/00
sorry to hear that they have found a problem with your little girl!
thank that radiologist for doing that extra ultrasound! Who knows how
long it would have been before you found out!

My MIL has 2 kidneys, but one is very small, and doesn't work. This
wasn't discovered until about 15 years ago. the other is enlarged..
She's doing fine. She's in her mid 70's.
They wanted to go in and remove the smaller one, but she refused.

Don't know if this helps you at all. But there are people who do just
fine with one kidney, after donating one to someone else. I'm sure
there are things they have to be careful about tho. surely someone who
has more experiance or knowledge than I will have some encouragement
for you.

research research research. Isn't your husband a dr? I kinda
remember something along those lines in this discussion..

good luck and keep us informed.

jeann...@aol.com (JEANNEPAUL) wrote:

Competition brings out the best in products and
the worst in people.--David Sarnoff

Don't be reckless with other people's hearts.
Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours

sam

Sep 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/20/00

I'm so sorry about your little girl.Its good they found it while she still
young though.She and you as the rest of your family are in my prayers.
My boss is 56 years old.Has had 2 healthy children.And she has only one
kidney.I am not sure of her exact circumstances.But I can tell you she lives
a happy and active life.
Sam

just me

Sep 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/21/00

"JEANNEPAUL" <jeann...@aol.com> wrote in message

> I am the mom who posted VCUG questions here about 6 weeks ago. We fought
the
> Dr. and they finally agreed to sedate her. She had the procedure today
and the
> oral Versed was wonderful. She was awake and even alert during the whole
> process, but very very relaxed. The VCUG itself showed no abnormalities.
As
> kind of an afterthought, the Radiologist order an ultrasound of her
kidneys to
> see if everything was alright there. Well, things are not allright. She
> doesn't have a right kidney. Her left kidney is quite enlarged. They
think
> they found some type of a small mass behind her bladder that might be her
right
> kidney "tissue". More tests are needed and I am devastated. I need help
from
> you all. My baby girl is 2 and she is adopted..so that explains why this
was
> not detected in utero. Anyone out there living with just one kidney..I
could
> sure use some reassurances that she will have a full, long and normal
life.

I am so glad to hear that you are getting some answers, even if they are not
quite what you were prepared to deal with. <<<<Big hugs>>>>>. About four
years ago my mother discovered that she has a congenitally malformed kidney,
which means that the other kidney does about 90% of that work and has,
apparently, since she was born. The way that this all came up was that she
kept getting UTI's that just wouldn't quit for about a year. She'd just get
over one and get a new one and they became pretty tough to clear. Since
they figured this out and treated aggressively once for the right UTI cause
she has not had further problems. She also eats properly for her age and
degree of activity and eats little red meat [although that probably has
nothing to do with kidney functioning] and keeps good hydration up. The
good news? She didn't have any problems until she was 69 years old and has
led [and continues to lead] a very active life.

Do so me research. I think it will go a long way to ease your worries.
But, do feel free to vent and share with us as you go through this whole
process. And, by the way, you do know how special you are for adopting that
very wonderful little girl, don't you! :-)

-Aula

Jan

Sep 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/21/00
OH! Thank God the problem was discovered now! When news like that comes
unexpectedly it is even more upsetting. Hang tough mom... I have no
personal stories, but know that people DO live long full lives with only one
kidney.

~Jan

TAWms

Sep 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/21/00
My dad was in the service and they discovered he had one kidney... never
had a problem with it before this and didn't after either. So you have all
good news here on that end. But I can well understand your being
devestated. You need big hugs and lots of warm thoughts coming your way.
{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}! Anni
Message has been deleted

Mary MacKenzie

Sep 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/21/00
I went to Junior High with a girl with one kidney, she didn't seem to mind. She
said her aunt had only one too.
Mary
In article <20000920181809...@ng-fz1.aol.com>, jeann...@aol.com
says...

Jen

Sep 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/21/00
((((((((((((((((((((((BIG HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))))))))
I am glad you finally got some answers! I had kidney problems when I was
little. The flaps that are between the bladder and the kidneys were not
there when I was born. I had TONS of kidney infections so I finally got
in to see a WONDERFUL doctor. I had surgery to replace the "flaps" at
age 4 and have been fine since! I know that my grandmother had to have
one of her kidneys removed but not sure why. She lived for a long time
with just one. Things are going to work out for you and your daughter.
Just remember that she is going to be okay. The more you stress about
things the more she may stress. (I know it hard to stay un-stressed) You
have my thoughts and prayers! Good luck with all the test coming up.

Jen :) Mom to Kyle & Allyson