Brutal Battles of Vietnam: America’s Deadliest Days, 1965-1972

JackPineSavage

Jan 8, 2017, 3:35:26 PM1/8/17
In case anyone is interested, the VFW has compiled a book of stories
about 65 battles during the Vietnam conflict. It will be available
early this year. If interested, you can get updates on the book and
notification of when it will be available here:

https://www.vfw.org/oms/vietnambook/default.aspx

Colonel Edmund J. Burke

Jan 8, 2017, 5:20:33 PM1/8/17
How much am I willing to pay for reading about something I LIVED?

Jack.G

Jan 8, 2017, 5:43:52 PM1/8/17
Crickets.......................Do trolls have lives?

a425couple

Jan 8, 2017, 6:26:35 PM1/8/17
"JackPineSavage" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in...
Thank you for letting us know about this.
I'll be interested in hearing reviews of it.

Here is more information and the contents:

Brutal Battles Of Vietnam
Robert Widener
BASED ON VFW MAGAZINE’S AWARD-WINNING SERIES

Based on VFW’s past award-winning magazine series and its continuation for
the 50th anniversary, this volume will be one-of-akind. Brutal Battles of
Vietnam: America’s Deadliest Days, 1965-1972 covers some 80 battles. The
combat narratives are told by those who actually engaged in the
life-and-death struggles.

The book is replete with battle maps, seldom-seen photos, an array of
statistical facts, the definitive listing of the war’s most highly decorated
warriors and the most complete combat chronology of the war ever compiled
and published.

This book is about, as famed war correspondent Ernie Pyle once put it, “the
men who do the dying.” Its objective is simple: to emphasize sacrifice. In
doing so, it was necessary to be highly subjective. In defining the
“deadliest” battles, we had to create cut-off casualty counts. For battles
fought between 1965 and 1969 that meant about 30 U.S. KIA; for 1970-72
approximately 20 KIA. Chapters in the book are about definable individual
battles—not ongoing operations or offensives. Time—hours involved—was a key
factor. The two exceptions are the invasions of Cambodia (1970) and Laos
(1971).

Furthermore, our goal is to emphasize the forgotten and largely unknown.
Hence, the more famous battles that are already well-written about do not
proportionately receive as much space.

In preparation for making Brutal Battles of Vietnam available, we are making
a list of interested buyers. We need names, mailing addresses, telephone
numbers and e-mail addresses to guarantee notification when the book is
complete.

Look for progress updates.

The book is estimated to be 452 pages with some 700 photos. Every effort is
being made to keep costs to a minimum.

If interested, fill out the web form at www.vfw. org/VietnamBook, or write
VFW Magazine, Attn: Vietnam Book, 406 West 34th St., Kansas City, MO 64111.

No phone calls, please.

CONTENTS
1965
Qui Nhon, 1965: Terrorism Takes a Toll
‘Remember Dong Xoai!’
Battle of Chu Lai
Battle of the Ia Drang Valley: ‘A Terrible Bloodletting’
Hell on Hill 65
Bushwacked at Ap Nha Mat

1966
‘Graveyard’ at LZ 4: Battle of Cu Nghi
Battle for the Kim Son Valley: Clutched in the Eagle’s Claw
‘We Have a Tiger by the Tail’: Chau Ngai
Hot Pursuit in the Vinh Tuy Valley
‘Inferno on the Ground’: Courtenay Rubber Plantation
‘Meeting’ at the Loc Ninh Rubber Plantation Special Feature: Siege of Hill
488
Ambushed at Srok Dong
Donnybrook in the Bong Trang Woods
Trapped Along ‘The Valley of a Thousand Ghosts’
Standoff at Dau Tieng
Steady Stand at LZ Bird

1967
Truong Son
Suoi Tre/FSB Gold
Binh Son
Deadly Struggle in the Hills: The First Battle of Khe Sanh
‘Nine Days in May’ (Cambodian Border)
Suoi Cat/QL1
Battle of LZ Eagle
Vicious Ambush at Vinh Huy
Xom Bo II/LZ X-Ray
Riverine Warfare on the Rach Nui
Battling on the ‘Slopes’ of the Central Highlands (near Dak To)
Mayhem in the ‘Marketplace’ (Con Thien) Sidebar: Operation Buffalo
Duc Co
Thom Cam Son
Deadly Day at Dong Son Sidebar: Struggles at Vinh Huy & Hill 43
Con Thien/Nui Ho Khe/Hill 43
‘Black Lions’ Battle at Ong Thanh
Dak To: ‘33 Days of Violent, Sustained Combat’ Special Feature: 4th Division
Role Often Overlooked
FSB Nashua
Going Toe-to-Toe at Tam Quan
Battling Along a ‘Street Without Joy’ (Thom Tham Khe)

1968
Death Valleys: Que Son and Hiep Duc Special Feature: Battle of Cemetery Hill
Three Deadliest Days at Khe Sanh
Hue: Combat for the Ancient Capital Special Feature: ‘We Have Tanks in Our
Wire’ (Lang Vei)
Ambush at Hoc Mon Special Feature: Ap Nam Phu
‘Walking Dead’ Show Valor on Hill 689 Sidebar: The Rescue of Cpl. Hunnicutt
‘Magnificent Bastards’ Battle at Dai Do Sidebar: Gimlets Hold the Line at
Nhi Ha
Street Battle in Saigon
Fierce Fight at Kham Duc
Going Gets Rough on Go Noi Island
Forward Operating Base 4 (deadliest Special Forces action)
Ap Trang Dau: ‘A Living Hell’
Deadly Dilemma at LZ Margo

1969
Hell Rains Down on Russell and Neville Special Feature: Inside the Wire:
Sappers Attack Cu Chi Airfield
Ambush in Plei Trap Valley
Sappers Take a Beating at Liberty Bridge
Dong A Tay: Costly Victory in the A Shau Valley Special Feature: Condors
Fight Mile-High Battle (Dong Ngai Mtn.)
Screaming Eagles Tackle ‘The Mountain of the Crouching
Beast’ (Hamburger Hill) Chart: 1969: A Deadly Year Special Feature: Firebase
Crook: Body Count Beyond Belief Special Feature: Firebase Tomahawk: The
National Guard’s Deadliest Day in Vietnam
‘Screaming Eagles’ Hold Firm at Firebase Airborne Sidebar: Beallsville’s
Dubious Distinction
Hiep Duc: Death Valley Special Feature: Deadly Firefights of 1969

1970
FSB Illingworth Illuminated in a ‘Titanic Roar’
Hell Night at Henderson Sidebar: Valor at FSB Maureen
‘Pure Blitzkrieg’: Sacking Sanctuaries in Cambodia Special Feature:
Cambodian Invasion Long Overdue
Rendezvous at Ripcord Sidebar: Bravery Abundant
Helicopter Loss Possibly War’s Deadliest
Hostile Crash (LZ Judy) Chart: Deadly helicopter crashes during the Vietnam
War Special Feature: Daring POW Raid at Son Tay

1971
Hitting the Ho Chi Minh Trail (Invasion of Laos) Chart: Heroism on Display:
Laos operation, 1971 Special Feature: KIA: Laos, 1961
Sixty Minutes of Terror at Mary Ann
Rangers in Peril on Hill 809 Sidebar: NVA Deal Lethal Blow at LZ Liz Special
Feature: Nam Hoa: Firefight in the ‘Valley of Death’
Deadly Climax of U.S. Ground War on Firebase Charlie 2 Sidebar: Saga of
Firebase 5 Special Feature: Last Stand of Recon Team Kansas

1972
‘Into the Teeth of the Tiger’ Sidebar: POWs vs. Press Sidebar: Strikes Equal
Negotiation
1st Aviation Brigade Suffers Its Greatest Air Loss in Vietnam

Navy and Air Force

Navy’s Deadliest Actions in Vietnam Chart: U.S. Navy combat Deaths in
Vietnam Sidebar: Navy’s Only Medal of Honor Helicopter Pilot
‘Wesco’ Mined at My Tho
Commando Hunting over Laos: Spectre Gunships in Action Special Feature:
Secret Radar Site Succumbs to Sappers on ‘Sacred Mountain’ (Lima Site 85)

Addendum
Vietnam War: Courage Unrivaled (Most highly decorated)
War’s Deadliest Battles
Vietnam War Combat Chronology & Map
Major U.S. Combat Unit Casualties in Vietnam
Vietnam Warriors: A Statistical Profile
Recommended Reading

http://digitaledition.qwinc.com/article/Brutal_Battles_Of_Vietnam/2544112/324472/article.html

dino

Jan 9, 2017, 12:47:28 AM1/9/17
In article <o4uhp...@news3.newsguy.com>, a425couple says...
>CONTENTS
>1966
>Trapped Along ˜The Valley of a Thousand Ghosts."
>Steady Stand at LZ Bird
>1967
>Battling on the ˜Slopes" of the Central Highlands (near Dak To)
Site 85)

Those three are the ones that I was involved with.

Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D.

Jan 9, 2017, 10:33:18 AM1/9/17
dino wrote:

> In article <o4uhp...@news3.newsguy.com>, a425couple says...
>
>>"JackPineSavage" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in...
>>
>>>In case anyone is interested, the VFW has compiled a book of stories about
>>>65 battles during the Vietnam conflict. It will be available early this
>>>year. If interested, you can get updates on the book and notification of
>>>when it will be available here:
>>>https://www.vfw.org/oms/vietnambook/default.aspx
>>
>>Thank you for letting us know about this.
>>I'll be interested in hearing reviews of it.
>>
>>Here is more information and the contents:
>>
>>Brutal Battles Of Vietnam
>>Robert Widener
>>BASED ON VFW MAGAZINE’S AWARD-WINNING SERIES
>>
>>Based on VFW’s past award-winning magazine series and its continuation for
>>the 50th anniversary, this volume will be one-of-akind. Brutal Battles of
>>Vietnam: America’s Deadliest Days, 1965-1972 covers some 80 battles. The
>>combat narratives are told by those who actually engaged in the
>>life-and-death struggles.
>>
>>The book is replete with battle maps, seldom-seen photos, an array of
>>statistical facts, the definitive listing of the war’s most highly decorated
>>warriors and the most complete combat chronology of the war ever compiled
>>and published.
>>
>>This book is about, as famed war correspondent Ernie Pyle once put it, “the
>>men who do the dying.†Its objective is simple: to emphasize sacrifice. In
>>doing so, it was necessary to be highly subjective. In defining the
>>“deadliest†battles, we had to create cut-off casualty counts. For battles
>>fought between 1965 and 1969 that meant about 30 U.S. KIA; for 1970-72
>>approximately 20 KIA. Chapters in the book are about definable individual
>>battles—not ongoing operations or offensives. Time—hours involved—was a
>>key
>>factor. The two exceptions are the invasions of Cambodia (1970) and Laos
>>(1971).
>>
>>Furthermore, our goal is to emphasize the forgotten and largely unknown.
>>Hence, the more famous battles that are already well-written about do not
>>proportionately receive as much space.
>>
>>In preparation for making Brutal Battles of Vietnam available, we are making
>>a list of interested buyers. We need names, mailing addresses, telephone
>>numbers and e-mail addresses to guarantee notification when the book is
>>complete.
>>
>>Look for progress updates.
>>
>>The book is estimated to be 452 pages with some 700 photos. Every effort is
>>being made to keep costs to a minimum.
>>

>>CONTENTS
>>1966
>>Trapped Along ˜The Valley of a Thousand Ghosts."
>>Steady Stand at LZ Bird
>>1967
>>Battling on the ˜Slopes" of the Central Highlands (near Dak To)
>
> Site 85)
>
> Those three are the ones that I was involved with.

Yeah, but did your glorious battles win the war?

!Jones

Jan 9, 2017, 9:49:37 PM1/9/17
x-no-idiots: yes
Or here?

http://www.phillcoleman.com/cf.htm

Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D.

Jan 10, 2017, 2:20:26 AM1/10/17
help i dunno what to do well the thing is i am a very skiny girl but i
have these big muscular footballers legs and they look silly with my
thin frame what shall i do?

a425couple

Jan 10, 2017, 10:09:08 AM1/10/17
"!Jones" <¡Jo...@fubahor.com> wrote in message
> JackPineSavage <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>In case anyone is interested, the VFW has compiled a book of stories
>>about 65 battles during the Vietnam conflict. It will be available
>>early this year. If interested, you can get updates on the book and
>>notification of when it will be available here:
>>
>>https://www.vfw.org/oms/vietnambook/default.aspx
>
> Or here?
> http://www.phillcoleman.com/cf.htm

A passage from Phill's book:

"Jones had a Playboy folded inside that manual." Joe informed me,
trying to straighten his face. "He goes over to the RTT rig to jack-off."

Immediately, Ernie and Bill broke out howling. Joe, unable to keep his
face straight, followed suit bending over in a gut laugh.

In total disbelief, I challenged them. "That's bull----. You guys are full
of....."

"That's the God-awful truth, Phill," Bill followed, running his forefinger
down his chest then across it. "Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a bayonet
in my eye."

!Jones

Jan 10, 2017, 10:28:36 AM1/10/17
x-no-idiots: yes

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 07:08:19 -0800, in alt.war.vietnam "a425couple"
<a425c...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>A passage from Phill's book:
>
>"Jones had a Playboy folded inside that manual." Joe informed me,
>trying to straighten his face. "He goes over to the RTT rig to jack-off."
>
>Immediately, Ernie and Bill broke out howling. Joe, unable to keep his
>face straight, followed suit bending over in a gut laugh.
>
>In total disbelief, I challenged them. "That's bull----. You guys are full
>of....."
>
>"That's the God-awful truth, Phill," Bill followed, running his forefinger
>down his chest then across it. "Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a bayonet
>in my eye."

It does have the ring of truth, you know.

Jones