What Would You Do?

Steve Goodfellow

Jan 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/27/00
Here's another teaser for you ...

Late one night two cars pull onto a petrol station forecourt and park
off to one side away from the petrol pumps. Both drivers get out of the
cars and start to talk to each other. The attendant notices that they're
dressed in camouflaged clothing and starts to get nervous.

One of the drivers opens the boot of his car and gets out a rifle, which
he hands to the other driver before reaching back into the boot and
getting another. The attendant sees what he takes to be the rifle being
cocked and starts to get nervous. He is convinced he's about to be
robbed and hits the panic button under the counter which sets of a
silent alarm in the local police station. He then goes into the back
room of the petrol station so that he's out of sight, uses the telephone
and tells the police what he's seen.

After a few minutes there is a sound of sirens approaching so the
attendant comes out of hiding. The two drivers are still on the
forecourt chatting next to their cars and not taking any notice of the
approaching police cars - he's confused!

Armed police arrive and block the entrances to the forecourt. They shout
to the two drivers to lay down on the ground, etc., which they do. When
the fun is all over it transpires that the two drivers are ACF
instructors and they were swapping DP rifles from one car to another on
their way home from cadets. After several hours of questioning, the
police decide that no crime has been committed or was intended and
release the two instructors.

Question: If you were the County Commandant, what (if anything) would
you do?

--
Steve Goodfellow
OC D Company

*** TO INSPIRE TO ACHIEVE ***

me

Jan 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/27/00
"Steve Goodfellow" <st...@imjin.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> Here's another teaser for you ...
> <snip>

Well,

1. One way conversation with the persons involved enquiring how they could
be so damned stupid
2. Letter of apology to the garage owner, staff and police

- Rob

me

Jan 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/27/00
"me" <m...@here.org> wrote in message news:38904...@news.ifb.net...

> 1. One way conversation with the persons involved enquiring how they could
> be so damned stupid
> 2. Letter of apology to the garage owner, staff and police
Oh yes, and

3. Put a notice in routine orders reminding people that the general public
can get tetchy about firearms, especially the ones who work in high-risk
locations like petrol stations, banks etc.

Ian Ferguson

Jan 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/27/00
This is a situation that I can speak of from experience. Many moons ago, I
unloaded my platoon's DP weapons (No4s & LMG, that long ago!) from a
landrover into my house, the idea being after the l/r was returned to take
the weapons to the platoon. In the mean time a well being neighbour of mine
called the police. It took a lot of explaining that the weapons were DP ie
deactivated etc and that no firearms offence had been committed. I'm still
not sure that they were convinced. Fortunately I heard nothing more of it,
but I still got a bol***ing from my Commandant, because I played on the safe
side and reported the incident. Should have kept my mouth shut!!

I think the moral of the story is that the general public don't know the
difference between a DP & live firing weapon, they all look the same, so we
should all be aware when in public areas and be more discreet. As for
swapping weapons in a public place.......?!

--
Ian Ferguson
OC A Company

Phil Mc Carty

Jan 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/27/00
Leaving aside the notion that when I still had
'you-can't-see-me-pyjamas' you shouldn't be seen obviously in uniform
out of duty, I was simply astounded by the stupidity of the action. I
used to drive with beads of sweat on the brow simply of the knowledge
that I had weapons in my boot - DP or otherwise - and would never even
have contemplated waving them around in public.

What this pair have overlooked is the negative-PR aspect, and resultant
damage. We (sorry, still feel some attachment, despite dis-attachment)
all have to battle the view of us as closet gun-nuts, however wrong that
is. I hope this hasn't made the local papers yet. Or worse.

A definite Commandant's 'IWOC' (as we used to say in the Regulars... an
'Interview without Coffee') and serious disciplinary sanction.
(Demotion? Transfer?)

Phil

De...@minden.fsnet.co.uk

Jan 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/27/00
As commandant (hehehehehe)

what were they doing with them off TAVR premisses?

Why were they swapping them?

Why wasn't the CAA involved?

Why pick such a stupid place, meet and drive somewhere else.

Wonder what else they do?

Set up a policy rule. If this really needed to happen, for the cadets
training, find a way so that cadets and DP are in the same place.

I will imagine that they normally have 2 or 3 DP in a Pl and borrowed
some more from a near by pl to test or train more cadets.

Dewi WW
Platoon Commander, 4th Cdt Bn RWF
(Remove spam to email)
Never forget the 'C' in ACF
www.minden.fsnet.co.uk

Steve Goodfellow

Jan 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/27/00
Interesting responses so far. I'm surprised no-one has suggested hanging
yet. This is a true story - happened a few years ago now - and the two
instructors concerned were severely reprimanded by the Commandant who
explained the error of their ways and how the incident would affect
their future in the ACF.

Both adults involved have continued to progress in terms of rank and
responsibility ... but they are VERY careful with firearms and the
public.

They did make a personal apology to the petrol station attendant.
Nothing appeared in the local press despite the fact that the incident
took place within 50 metres of the local BBC studios. Fingers on the
pulse of local news :-p)

So, anyone else got some teaser for us to think about?

Martin Craven

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
Steve Goodfellow <st...@imjin.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Here's another teaser for you ...

Snip

> Steve Goodfellow
> OC D Company
> Bristol ACF
> http://www.bristol-acf.org.uk

They would probably be promoted in our battalion!! we seem to have our fair
share of dangerous dim wits with rank!!

De...@minden.fsnet.co.uk

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
I thought you were going to say....

'That's a true story, cos I was that Boy'
:-)

Steve Goodfellow

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
In article <86sovq$7g2$1...@news7.svr.pol.co.uk>, Martin Craven <secretary@
reanorthwales.fsnet.co.uk> writes
They're out there. I bet we all know at least one.

I remember filling in a reference form for a potential adult once (back
when ACF people could still be referees) and the question was; would you
trust this man with your own child? Yes, no problem. Would you trust
this man with your wallet? What? No Way! Get out of here!

You gotta get the priorities right :-)

--

Steve Goodfellow
OC D Company

*** TO INSPIRE TO ACHIEVE ***

Steve Goodfellow

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
In article <f2n39s0nvl4o9be43...@4ax.com>,
De...@minden.fsnet.co.uk writes

Tweren't I vicar ... but it is true (sadly).