severe pain

1 view

Mac

Apr 11, 2004, 4:15:11 PM4/11/04
Hello,
I have a student (college) in one of my classes with endometriosis and I
have a couple of questions (I've read everything on webmd).
Can the pain be so severe as to cause loss of consciousness? If this
occurs, is there something I can do (besides call 911) to make her
comfortable? She claims that the pain can be so severe that she passes-out.
If this should happen, should I monitor her pulse and breathing? (probably a
no-brainer).
Any advice would be appreciated.
-Mac
Email or post, either is fine. Please remove "whatapain" (no pun intended)
from address to email.

Linda Scheimann

Apr 17, 2004, 12:40:12 PM4/17/04
Hi, Mac,
Pain might be that severe, especially if uterus is contracting severely. In
my case (resolved by complete hysterectomy, including cervix and no cap,
12/2000), I had for several years previous contractions so severe that only
cadged Robaxin (muscle relaxant) helped, plus sometimes Benadryl (OTC). The
uterus felt like a clenched fist.

Linda

"Mac" <mar...@mindspringwhatapain.com> wrote in message

Mac

Apr 24, 2004, 5:05:18 PM4/24/04
Thanks Linda, I will keep that in mind.
She does seem to be pretty secretive about the whole thing, I think I
understand why. However, as far as I know, the only med she will take is
Tylenol. She's young so I get why she hasn't had the surgery but I would
think the pain would be a bit more manageable.
-Mac

"Linda Scheimann" <geb...@niia.net> wrote in message

Mac

Apr 24, 2004, 5:06:00 PM4/24/04
Oh yes, I neglected to mention: she has no insurance. Maybe why there are
no meds. Any gov't programs for a young, single, poor college student?
Thanks again

Linda Scheimann

Apr 24, 2004, 5:06:44 PM4/24/04
Yes, IMHO, the pain can be that severe. Think hypoglycemia and elevate feet,
no social engagements, and hold off as long as possible on surgery, as go
for complete excision of endometrial implants then............

Linda

Susan

Apr 25, 2004, 10:09:26 PM4/25/04
Women with endometriosis are frequently not treated well, deal with inadequate
pain management, and face surgery after surgery in the hands of doctors who are
not thorough in removing the disease. Although we all wish there were something
simple, effective and affordable that would just make endometriosis go away, we
don't have that option.

It would probably be hard to find a doctor who would be happy about prescribing
narcotics for an eighteen-year-old college student who needs pain relief for a
long-term illness. It's primarily a political situation and has little to do
with how much pain the young woman might be experiencing.

Endometriosis surgery doesn't have to mean hysterectomy and removal of the
ovaries. This drastic surgery is not usually recommended for college-age women.
Many young women have been helped by surgery in which the endometriosis lesions
are removed but the organs are left in place. A young woman might not be able
to afford surgery, as a student, or she might want to wait for a school break so
she won't have to miss a lot of class when she goes in for surgery.

Your student is a trooper, to continue her education when she is in pain. I
admire her. It may be the best choice for her life... with a college education
she will be more likely to be able to afford competent treatment for an illness
which may plague her throughout her life. Without insurance and without money,
there are few treatment options.

It's not surprising that the young woman is not being more forthcoming with
information. It is important that her teachers know that she is experiencing a
health problem, however, she may have no desire to discuss the details or review
her treatment options with her teachers and she should not feel obligated to do
so.

I admire you, too, Mac, for taking an interest in learning about what your
student is experiencing. With endometriosis, though, there just aren't easy
answers, and your student will probably have to just live through this the best
she can. Perhaps the best thing you can do for her right now is let her know
you are pleased that she is staying in school.

--Susan Strandskov

Kirk

Apr 25, 2004, 10:44:44 PM4/25/04
Mac,

In another post you mentioned that she seemed secretive about the whole thing.
Of course there are some reasons she might not want to discuss her female
reproductive system with you or anyone else. But the most likely reason is
that she has no idea what to do. There are so few doctors in the US, or
anywhere else in the world, who have enough knowledge to deal effectively with
severe endometriosis, there is no way she can have any good answers to what is
wrong with her.

There is a great lack of knowledge, and plenty of downright misinformation about
Endometriosis, even within the medical community. Endometriosis patients
struggle with decisions about their treatment options, with little more to go on
than contradictory advice from their doctors.

Given the considerable disagreement about Endometriosis among the supposed
experts, there is little you can or should do as an unrelated third party. It is
appropriate to acknowledge that she may need medical attention someday when
she is in your classroom. If it happens, summon medical help, and turn the
situation over to the medical personnel who respond.

Kirk (endo husband)

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 22:50:36 -0500, Susan <sta...@sprintQQQmail.com> wrote:

>Hi Mac,
>
>It is unusual for endometriosis to produce enough pain to cause loss of
>conciousness, and if a woman is experiencing this much pain with endometriosis
>certainly the intervention of a skilled surgeon is called for. However, you
>might be dealing with someone who is trying to get through the semester before
>having to take time off for surgery. I would also consider the possibility that
>the problem is actually severe loss of blood with menstruation rather than
>endometriosis itself, but it is more socially acceptable to say "endometriosis."
>Usually when someone passes out from the pain of endometriosis, it is a very
>brief loss of conciousness, and she has barely hit the floor before she begins
>protesting, "I'm okay, really..."
>
>If I had a friend who had warned me that sometimes her endometriosis pain caused
>her to pass out, I'd probably drive her to the doctor if it happened, rather
>than call 911, as long as she regained consciousness immediately. The emergency
>ambulence is probably not needed for this. (If someone remains unconscious,
>though, it is of course a very different issue.) With your students, though,
>you do have liability issues, and as a policy issue your employer would probably
>prefer that you call 911 rather than take any chances.
>
>Normal first-aid would involve trying to keep her from hitting her head on the
>way down (if possible), lying her down in a comfortable position with legs
>extended rather than leaving her collapsed in a heap, and elevating her head
>slightly. Monitoring her pulse and breathing will tell you if you need to take
>more extensive measures. She'll probably regain consciousness quickly but still
>feel disoriented, so keep her lying down or at least sitting and don't let her
>wander off. If she seems to be in a lot of distress and medical assistance is
>delayed, you might consider putting an ice pack on her lower abdomen, if one is
>available, but that is the only thing I can think of other than normal first aid
>which might be helpful in this situation. (I am not a doctor. If anyone has
>more information on this, or has a correction for this information, please
>post!)
>
>Some women swear by heat for pain relief, but in case something is going
>seriously wrong with the person who has passed out, I would stick with ice in
>this situation since ice is less likely to cause harm and can still offer some
>pain relief.
>
>Having fainted once myself, I am aware of the warning signs that I might be
>losing conciousness and I can avert a crisis by sitting down or lying down. In
>the days of corsets, fainting was so common among women that "birds and bees"
>discussion included instructing a young woman that if she felt faint, she should
>sit down, bend forward, and rest her head on her knee (or at least her desk).
>Hopefully your student will learn what to do, as well.

> [...]

Mac

May 19, 2004, 11:11:56 PM5/19/04
Thanks to all that responded to my post. Your insight has been very
helpful. Since then I have learned (she opened up without any pressure from
me) that there is another serious illness along with the endo, one of a more
mental nature. I got together with an old counselor buddy of mine and we
made a list of resources, financial and medical, she could consult if
needed.
Last I knew, she was making a couple of appointments. Finals are over now
so I may never see her again.
Thanks again,
-Mac

"Kirk" <sta...@newsguy.com> wrote in message