Opinions?

1 view

Dan Gervason

May 27, 2004, 8:38:00 PM5/27/04
My problem has been with me for ...oh, about thirteen years now. It's easier
for me to just give a list of surgeries/hospitalizations - whatever - then
you can get the idea. by the way, I'm 32.

Spring 92 - ectopic pregnancy - left ovary & tube removed (docs blamed it on
scarring in tube)
Spring 94 - vaginal birth (no problems - beautiful little red-haired boy :)
Spring 95 - conal biopsy (precancerous cells in cervix), also tubal ligation
and rather major removal of adhesions (I had told him for a year that I was
always hurting; after the Sx, he apologised to me for just giving me a
couple of Rx's for painkillers.)
Spring 95 - viral pneumonia (hospitalized for a week - caught while at
hospital for biopsy less than a week earlier!)
Summer 97 - hysterectomy due to extreme pelvic and abdominal pain (involving
uterus [cervix?? I don't know], remaining tube - but he was also supposed to
remove the remaining ovary! After I woke up, he told me he decided to leave
it because I was so young (25) and he didn't want me going into menopause.
But when I asked him about it, he agreed that I would probably have to have
it out within ten or 15 years. I hate that man!!!! He never asked me!) Also
removed adhesions - again. One week before Sx, I had first bloating
episode - within an hour, I went from being relatively skinny to looking 7
1/2 months pregnant - it hurt so much - and it was scary!)
November 99? - enterocele & rectocele repair (and remove adhesions) -
apparently, pelvic floor fell - doc said he "tacked everything" up onto back
wall, also removed 5" section of colon because it kept "flopping over" and
wouldn't stay put. (Rectocele = wall between vagina & rectum collapsed - had
to reinforce it.)
November 99? - repaired ureter - the day after last Sx - apparently, ureter
got "kinked up" during Sx - they straightened it out for me - had to bring
in urologist for it
Fall 2002 - intestinal obstruction - possibly. Also found I had a large
ovarian cyst - would have ordinarily removed it, but with my adhesions, were
not about to cut into me again unless I'm actually dying (they told me
that).

That's not counting the assorted ER visits - not the bloating episodes. They
used to only be once a year and lasted for - usually - a day; now, they have
gotten to where I am like this more than half the time (70% or so), and it
can last anywhere from 2 weeks to three months at a time without a break.
Painkillers do no good, and I've begun to drink more than I should (I know,
I know...)

No one seems interested in any kind of long-term diagnosis. One ER doc said
Irritable bowel syndrome, but they never even did X-rays, CAT scan,
ultrasound, etc. So I've looked up my symptoms and realised that endo seemed
to be the only one that fit - except I had had my uterus removed - so that
couldn't be right.

But after talking to my sister (diagnosed with endo a few years ago - worst
case her doc & nurses had seen in 20 years), she said it might be.

So I did more checking - and lo and behold - you can still have it after
uterus removed - especially if an OVARY is left (if you hear of a doctor
assassinated in Ocala, FL, you'll know why!). So -

The BIG problem now - I'm broke. I have no job (can't hold one - I'm sick
too much of the time - I won't tell you how long it took me to write this
much), no health insurance, no money; I survive by working on the computer
for my roommate, who has his own business. He can't afford to pay me
anything, so I get room, rent, board, etc., by doing what work I can, when I
can. This has destroyed my marriage, my life (my son lives with his father -
3 hours drive away - because I can't even take care of him! Should a
10-year-old be taking care of his mom?! NO WAY!). I can't even afford a
car - or anything else, for that matter!

As for a doctor's visit - and testing? I remember all that - my last Sx's
took a 3 months of testing from my first visit with him to the actual
operation, then the follow-ups, of course.

I really am so sorry for the length of this post. I'm just at my wits' end.
Sometimes I get so depressed ..

Does anyone have any ideas??