diet and nutrition

julie caley

Jul 19, 2004, 11:49:59 PM7/19/04
Has anyone had their endo symptoms diminish after they changed their
diet and ate more nutritious, whole foods? I read a book about
eliminating all wheat, dairy, sugar and red meat from the diet and I'm
going to adher to this diet for several months to see if my symptoms
ease up. Julie in Arizona

Susan

Jul 21, 2004, 11:57:51 AM7/21/04
I think that anyone, with any ailment, is going to feel better on a diet of
fresh, healthy food. Other than that, I haven't been impressed with the dietary
approach to treating endometriosis. I worry when I see a diet recommending that
we not just limit, but "eliminate all" of the food in a particular category. I
worry that with harsh restrictions, someone could end up with dietary
deficiencies that will make them feel worse instead of better.

Americans do tend to eat too much red meat and too much sugar, however. Many
people do notice an improvement in their health when they eat more vegetables
instead.

--Susan Strandskov

In article <bi5pf0pjusmvh52o8...@4ax.com>, julie caley says...

kahluagal

Aug 2, 2004, 12:54:52 AM8/2/04
Related to this, I wonder if anyone has had any luck with finding
dieticians who deal with endo, or knows of any 'endo-friendly' eating
plans. While there are books and sites that discuss the topic, I
wonder if anyone can share any experiences with a dietician. Please
contact me offline at kahl...@bust.com.

Thanks!

ww_williams

Aug 15, 2004, 10:52:55 PM8/15/04
Hi

The answer is yes - I read a book called 'endometriosis - A guide to healing
through nutrition' by Dian Shepperson Mills.
I ate a reasonably healthy diet before reading it, but this book was very
informative as it explained how endo functions and what nutrients have
natural painkilling / anti-inflammatory properties etc. I also learned
that painkillers etc kill off the body's natural painkilling ability.

I don't eat oily fish, for example, so to help produce good prostaglandins
(to ease pain and inflammation) I started taking fish oil supplements a few
months ago as well as including nuts, seeds and dried fruits in my diet. I
never ate what i considered to be a lot of red meat, but I now limit it to
once a week or once every 2 weeks. I have to say that I have noticed a big
difference - my periods these last couple of months have been virtually pain
free and I no longer have pain on intercourse.

I think it has made a big difference for me. It did recommed reducing or
excluding wheat and dairy because these are the most popular things people
have an intolerance to, and an intolerance will affect the body's ability to
absorb nutrients. I also found this interesting - I could be eating all the
'right' foods in a balanced diet, but if I'm wheat or lactose intolerant
this will upset my natural ability to absorb nutrients. I have not tried
cutting them out totally so cannot comment on that, but I think that the
idea is to cut them out completely and gradually re-introduce to see if they
have a negative effect.

Reading this book, has improved my understanding of the disease and whilst I
am making an effort to follow its guidance, I think I would find it useful
to see a nutritionist to check that I am actually getting the balance of
nutrients I require from the foods I am eating now.

I look upon the book I read as providing guidance and based on the symptoms
I had my advice would be to write down what nutrients may ease your symptoms
and discuss this with a nutritionist.

Hope this helps - every one is different though. :)

regards

Pauline (UK)

Amazon Link to book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0007133103/qid=1092609714/sr=8
-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-1206767-0944648?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

"julie caley" <julie...@co.mohave.az.us> wrote in message

ThinkingOfKids

Aug 31, 2004, 6:37:02 PM8/31/04
I too have this book, and eliminated most dairy, meat, and eggs from my diet
and that has made all the difference. I do consume all of the above in
small amounts. I was already eating mostly whole foods, and fresh fruits
and veggies whenever possible, but that in itself wasn't making a
difference. I have cut back a little on wheat, but I didn't cut back on it
at first, and I still had a drastic improvement.

I experienced pain during my entire luteal phase of my cycle and perhaps the
first day of my period. Within 4 days of changing my diet, my pain went
away completely. It did come back a little, but nowhere near the levels it
had been before.

The biggest problem I'm having now is maintaining my weight. I have lost 5
pounds in the month that I've been doing this, and I really didn't need to
lose any more weight. In any case, I highly urge women who suffer from
endometriosis related pain to try the diet for a month or two. What have
you got to lose other than a great deal of pain?

:-),
Thinking of Kids

"ww_williams" <ww_wi...@h0tma1l.c0m> wrote in message