NREMT question

I don't Know

Jan 24, 2003, 1:40:31 AM1/24/03
Can anyone tell me how through of a background check they do? I got into
some trouble as a teen about 10 years ago (was in a stolen car with some
'friends') and was wondering if they would reject me for it if I check the
yes box on the form or if they would find out I was convicted if I check the
no box. I would get the paperwork from the state I was convicted in but they
will not respond to my letters and emails.

Jerome B. Senturia

Jan 24, 2003, 6:42:21 AM1/24/03
to I don't Know
Explain it to your state EMS office. Many states have laws that "seal"
juvenile crime records. Generally lying on the certification form is
worse than explaining the prior offense. A friend of mine had a prior
conviction for a serious offense, but was able to explain it to the EMS
office -- it did take some effort, but he is an EMT now and doing fine.

I hope this helps.

Jerry Senturia
EMS officer, Peacham Volunteer Fire Department
http://www.peacham.net/fire

Bob

Jan 28, 2003, 6:59:15 PM1/28/03
In NJ, if you are convicted of a crime, no go as an EMT. Don't know if the
NREMT is the same. If you mark NO, and they find out you were convicted, I
would think you would definitely be rejected.

"I don't Know" <episodeNO...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Carey Gregory

Jan 28, 2003, 7:42:59 PM1/28/03
"Bob" <r.mor...@verizon.net> wrote:

>In NJ, if you are convicted of a crime, no go as an EMT.

What crimes? Any crime?

Bob

Jan 29, 2003, 8:09:01 AM1/29/03
This is right out of the regulations:

N.J.A.C.8:40A-6.7 Student qualifications:
"4.Has not been convicted of a crime,or any offense contained in Chapter 14
of the Criminal Justice Code (N.J.S.A.2C:14-1,et seq.)Also,no person shall
be enrolled in a basic EMT program who has been convicted of a non-criminal
drug offense within the 24 months prior to the starting date of the program.
i.An individual may apply for a waiver of this requirement.All requests
will be considered in compliance with the Reformed Convicted Offenders Act,
N.J.S.A.2A:168A. roster (Appendix C,incorporated herein by reference)."

"Carey Gregory" <anti...@attbi.com> wrote in message

Steve Mower

Jan 29, 2003, 9:06:55 AM1/29/03
Need more info...
...ten years ago? in a stolen car with friends...?
How old were you? were you actually charged?
was it a felony? misdemeanor? small town? big city?did you go to court? jail
time?
can you call the department, see what comes up in a background search?
If you are past that stage in life, I would think you should progress
forward until you hit difficulties.

--
smower
Woodbury Heights, NJ

"Are you ready? Let's roll." - Todd Beamer, Flight 93
"Bob" <r.morgan...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Penal Blister

Jan 29, 2003, 10:53:33 PM1/29/03

"Steve Mower" <smo...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Need more info...
> ...ten years ago?

1994 (about 9 years ago

in a stolen car with friends...?

Yes, the actual charge was "possesion of stolen motor vehicle"

> How old were you?

19

were you actually charged?

Yes

> was it a felony?

Yes.

big city?

Just outside of Chicago, same county (Cook)

did you go to court?

Yes

jail time?

Did 4 months in state 'boot camp' program. IIP (boot camp) is for non
violent, first time offenders.

> can you call the department, see what comes up in a background search?

I have tried getting a record of the 'time' from the IDOC, they do not
repsond. Calling a court clerk the size of Cook County is a joke (i now live
3 states away). I was told by IDOC that the record gets expunged if no other
charges or convictions in 7 years during my 'stay' there. I have only had
traffic tickets since then (most of those while driving a cab)

> If you are past that stage in life, I would think you should progress
> forward until you hit difficulties.

Thats what I have been doing. I have been trying to get the information
requested by NREMT. As far as the 'stage in life' I was at the wrong place
at the wrong time with no money for a real lawyer.

I am just wondering, if I cannot get the info could the NREMT?

Steve & Susan

Jan 29, 2003, 11:59:28 PM1/29/03
On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 03:53:33 GMT, "Penal Blister"
<penalNOSP...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have tried getting a record of the 'time' from the IDOC, they do not
>repsond. Calling a court clerk the size of Cook County is a joke (i now live
>3 states away). I was told by IDOC that the record gets expunged if no other
>charges or convictions in 7 years during my 'stay' there. I have only had
>traffic tickets since then (most of those while driving a cab)
>

>I am just wondering, if I cannot get the info could the NREMT?

You may have to hire an attorney to do the legwork and write the
official letters to get all of the information you need to present to
not only the Registry, but to potential employers.

YMMV.

1994 was a long time ago. It's good you've done what you had to and
moved on. If you demonstrate that to the powers that be, there
shouldn't be any reason to exclude you. If they do, there should be an
appeals process and you should definitely have a (real) attorney for
that.

Steve

Carey Gregory

Jan 30, 2003, 12:29:28 AM1/30/03
"Bob" <r.morgan...@verizon.net> wrote:

>This is right out of the regulations:
>
>N.J.A.C.8:40A-6.7 Student qualifications:
>"4.Has not been convicted of a crime,or any offense contained in Chapter 14
>of the Criminal Justice Code (N.J.S.A.2C:14-1,et seq.)

Err, okay, but what's in Chapter 14? Are these felonies,
misdemeanors, a mix of both?

Steve Mower

Jan 30, 2003, 8:39:11 AM1/30/03
This link...

http://www.nremt.org/about/policy_felony.asp
will take you to EMT Certification - Criminal Convictions (NREMT website).
I'm no lawyer, but it looks like you should be ok. The crime does not appear
to be that serious, and there has been significant time passed. I have a
son, who had to learn some rough lessons though his older teens (been there
myself), he's quite an upstanding individual these days. Here is an excerpt
form the above link...Good luck...

General Denial
Registration of individuals convicted of certain crimes present an
unreasonable risk to public health and safety. Thus, applications for
certification by individuals convicted of the following crimes will be
denied in all cases.

Felonies involving sexual misconduct where the victim's failure to
affirmatively consent is an element of the crime, such as forcible rape.

Felonies involving the sexual or physical abuse of children, the elderly or
the infirm, such as sexual misconduct with a child, making or distributing
child pornography or using a child in a sexual display, incest involving a
child, assault on an elderly or infirm person.

Any crime in which the victim is an out-of-hospital patient or a patient or
resident of a health care facility including abuse, neglect, theft from, or
financial exploitation of a person entrusted to the care or protection of
the applicant.

Presumptive Denial

Applications for registration by individuals in the following categories
will be denied except in extraordinary circumstances, and then will be
granted only if the applicant establishes by clear and convincing evidence
that certification will not jeopardize public health and safety.

Applications for certification by individuals who have been convicted of any
crime and who are currently incarcerated, on work release, on probation or
on parole.

Application for certification by individuals convicted of crimes in the
following categories unless at least five years have passed since the
conviction OR five years have passed since release from custodial
confinement whichever occurs later:

Serious crimes of violence against persons, such as assault or battery with
a dangerous weapon, aggravated assault and battery, murder or attempted
murder, manslaughter except involuntary manslaughter, kidnapping, robbery of
any degree; or arson.

Crimes involving controlled substances or synthetics, including unlawful
possession or distribution, or intent to distribute unlawfully, Schedule I
through V drugs as defined by the Uniform Controlled Dangerous Substances
Act.

Serious crimes against property, such as grand larceny, burglary,
embezzlement or insurance fraud.

Any other crime involving sexual misconduct.

Discretionary Denial

Applications for registration by individuals convicted of any crimes
including DUI, but not including minor traffic violations may be denied
after consideration of the following factors.

The seriousness of the crime.

Whether the crime relates directly to the skills of prehospital care service
and the delivery of patient care.

How much time has elapsed since the crime was committed.

Whether the crime involved violence to, or abuse of, another person.

Whether the crime involved a minor or a person of diminished capacity.

Whether the applicant's actions and conduct since the crime occurred are
consistent with the holding of a position of public trust.

--
smower
Woodbury Heights, NJ

"Are you ready? Let's roll." - Todd Beamer, Flight 93

"Penal Blister" <penalNOSP...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Bob

Jan 30, 2003, 2:27:08 PM1/30/03
Chapter 14 deals with sexual crimes, but don't overlook the one part that I
quoted:

N.J.A.C.8:40A-6.7 Student qualifications:
"4. Has not been convicted of a crime...,"

it says, "...a crime,..." then goes on to talk about the chapter 14 crimes.
It is not saying that you're excluded if you were convicted of crimes
pertaining to chapter 14 (sexual) crimes only, it starts out by saying "a
crime" which means any...

"Carey Gregory" <anti...@attbi.com> wrote in message

jasonde...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2018, 6:23:22 PM1/24/18
I got in trouble in a different state than when I would be taking my NREMT test and being a practicing EMT more than 10 years ago. None of the charges I got in trouble for fall under what they would consider dis-qualifiers. When a background check is run in my state it goes through the state patrol and nothing ever comes back. I have even worked for a college and a middle school since then and nothing stops me. I have seen other posts on other site that say if you got in trouble in lets say Florida and take your test in Illinois it doesn't show up and your able to test and get on the National Registry. My question is does NREMT run a national background check or just the state someone is seeking to be certified in?