Traffic

Andy

Jul 20, 2005, 4:33:15 PM7/20/05
When I was suscribed to CFS-L in the days of one list for both that and CFS-CHAT, there seemed to be much livelier discussion with far more threads and posts every day.

I am subscribed to both lists now but it just doesn't seem the same. Or am I missing something, or is the action elsewhere? If so, where?!

I should introduce myself BTW. I have just joined this list. I am 39 and have had CFS for 17 years. I live in the UK. I have been on CFS-L on and off for several years.

Andy

512k Broadband £14.99 per month
Unlimited Downloads - No extra Costs
£14.99 per month (inc. VAT)
Order Now www.adsl4less.com

Roger Burns

Jul 20, 2005, 10:09:06 PM7/20/05
Andy wrote:

> When I was suscribed to CFS-L in the days of one list for both that
> and CFS-CHAT, there seemed to be much livelier discussion with far
> more threads and posts every day.
>
> I am subscribed to both lists now but it just doesn't seem the same.
> Or am I missing something, or is the action elsewhere? If so, where?!

As the moderator of CFS-L, I can only answer part of your questions.
Perhaps others will respond too.

Your question comes at the peak (or trough?) of our seasonal slow-down
that happens every year during the summer months (northern hemisphere).
So one reason why there are few posts at this moment is simply because
of the season.

Nonetheless, there have been many factors contributing to this list
getting smaller over the years, the biggest factor being the creation
of Yahoo groups that anyone can set up instantly and at no cost.
Before such group were available, it was not unususal for CFS-L to
see 100 messages posted daily. Back then, our topics system was not
merely convenient but was vital in keeping the river of messages
manageable and useful to readers.

More recently when there has been much less traffic, we tried a
topicless arrangement for a while. That seemed to evolve into
a system where medical posts were virtually pushed out. Around the
same time there were a coterie of frequent posters who focused on
pure chat, no medical discussions. Keep in mind, the original
purpose of CFS-L was to enable medical discussions about our
illness where previously there had been no CFS-focused discussion
on the Internet at all.

As I returned to more active moderating (in tandem with my own
wavering health issues) I tried to craft a revised system where the
then-current chat could continue along with a renewed emphasis on
encouraging medical discussion. Sadly, the previous high-volume
chatters seemed to have no interest in an arrangement where their
personal non-medical chat wasn't the center of attention. There was
indeed a "livelier" discussion back at that time, but it was all
non-medical.

If anyone wants to stir up more amicable discussion here on CFS-CHAT,
I'd (naturally) be all for it. :)

- Roger Burns, CFS-L Moderator