Worm and gear

David Raleigh Arnold

Nov 19, 2013, 11:02:05 PM11/19/13
Years ago I saw a proof, made in the 18th or 19th century, that
it was impossible to design a worm gear pair such that there
was no period when the screw was turning and the gear did not
move. The explanation is that the transfer of the load from
one tooth of the gear to the next accounts for this.

I have a group of people who don't believe me. Why can't I
find anything about this proof on line? This is ridiculous.
Anything? Anyone? What was this proof called? TIA. Regards, Rale

--
For All Guitar Beginners: The pages of very easy solos missing
from all of the published guitar methods of others.