I need help writing "The Math Song"

Toren G. Atkinson

May 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/18/99
Hello, I am in a band and I need help from people who deal with math on an
ongoing basis, or who are just plain smarter than me.

We (The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets) are writing a song called "The Math
Song." It is just like any other song except that this song is an equation
that can be solved. You can see the tentative lyrics I have written for it
below. I would like to make the equation as clever as possible while keeping
the lyrical phrasing the same, i.e. 'tangent' could be replaced with any other
word that has two syllables with the accent on the first syllable. Similarly,
a whole line can be changed as long as the accents and number of syllables
remain pretty much the same.

Can you a) solve this equation (to 2 decimal places)
b) suggest ways to make the equation more tricky or clever while
keeping the basic lyrical phrasing the same?
c) see any errors in what I have already done (misused terms, etc)?
d) rewrite the equation so that "cosine" (in the third verse) is
replaced with some other function that allows the result of the line to be a
number of a much greater value than .9986295, which is the current result (as
cosine 3 = 39986295). I don't know how to use facient, secant, coefficient,
and most other well-known math terms, but I would like to. What IS the secant
of 3?

Y….
Y equals X over 5
5 to the power of E
E is the square root of 3
3 is the number for me

X…
X by the tangent of N
N minus 10 over pi
That equals negative 9
Negative 9 is so fine

(CHORUS)

N…
N is the quotient of V
V and the cosine of 3
Cube it and add 44
And not a decimal more

V…
V equals 6 times the sum
Sum of 101
And 83 over 5
What is the value of Y?

(CHORUS)

(Chorus: You got a brain, and nobody really needs another love song)

___________

To put the lyrics in a more proper mathematical formula:

y = x
---
5 (to the power of E, where E is equal to the square root of 3)

x (tan [N - {10/pi}]) = -9

N = {(v ÷ [cos 3]) cubed } + 44

V = 6 (101 + [83/5])

Y= ?

If you can help me, please email me at mailto:thic...@uniserve.com

The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets next performances:
May 27 (Thu) Royal Hotel in Chilliwack, BC
May 29 (Sat) Gibson's Restaurant in Seattle, WA (116 Stewart St, phone: 206-448-6369)
June 5 (Sat) Columbia in Vancouver, BC
June 11 (Fri) Anza Club in Vancouver, BC (in association with CineMuerte horror film fest at Blinding Light! Cinema.

BIG FAT CARTOON PAGE, Toren's Mainly Lovecraftian Art Gallery, & Cannibal Culture Horror Film magazine: http://users.uniserve.ca/~thickets/
"Return to Innsmouth"movie: http://www.beyond-books.com/productions/innsmouth
"From Beyond"movie http://www.look-ear.com/beyond
"Sleepwalker" Lovecraft video game http://www.arkhamlab.com