karate make you taller?

Joseph Munro

Dec 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/6/99
I heard that strenous excercise in karate and slow kicks will make u taller?
anyone have anything about this?

George Winter

Dec 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/6/99
On Mon, 06 Dec 1999 03:18:34 GMT, "Joseph Munro" <sus...@home.com>
wrote:

>I heard that strenous excercise in karate and slow kicks will make u taller?
>anyone have anything about this?

I do karate and I'm 6'3 -- in fact I kept right on growing throughout
college *while* I was doing karate.
--

George
George Winter gwi...@q-sys.com

Roberto A. Alvelais

Dec 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/6/99
<sus...@home.com> wrote:

>I heard that strenous excercise in karate and slow kicks will make u taller?
>anyone have anything about this?

When I started taking lessons, in 1971, I was under 5 ft.
tall. I'm now 6'. Yes, I'd have to say that Karate made
me taller!

Rob
R...@jko.com

Shawn Jefferson

Dec 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/6/99
On Mon, 06 Dec 1999 09:30:59 -0500, George Winter <gwi...@q-sys.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 06 Dec 1999 03:18:34 GMT, "Joseph Munro" <sus...@home.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I heard that strenous excercise in karate and slow kicks will make u taller?
>>anyone have anything about this?
>

>I do karate and I'm 6'3 -- in fact I kept right on growing throughout
>college *while* I was doing karate.

Come to think of it, I was growing as I was training too. I didn't
even think that karate was responsible!

--
Shawn Jefferson
sjeffers(at)home(dot)com

David Manise

Dec 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/6/99
On Mon, 06 Dec 1999 07:10:41 -0800, Roberto A. Alvelais <r...@jko.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 06 Dec 1999 03:18:34 GMT, "Joseph Munro"
><sus...@home.com> wrote:
>
>>I heard that strenous excercise in karate and slow kicks will make u taller?
>>anyone have anything about this?

Didn't quite work for me...

Some guys grow up to the age of 25 yo... Growing about an inch in
college can be normal.

>When I started taking lessons, in 1971, I was under 5 ft.
>tall. I'm now 6'. Yes, I'd have to say that Karate made
>me taller!

What age in 71 ? ;^)

I guess that since karate strenghtens all the postural muscles around
the spine and abs, of course, it can make you stand upright more
easily and thus give the impression that you are taller, but does the
skeleton actually grows, I doubt it.

David

George Winter

Dec 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/6/99
On Mon, 06 Dec 1999 21:04:48 GMT, mo...@videotron.ca (David Manise)
wrote:

>I guess that since karate strenghtens all the postural muscles around
>the spine and abs, of course, it can make you stand upright more
>easily and thus give the impression that you are taller, but does the
>skeleton actually grows, I doubt it.

I hate to disagree but all the evidence points to karate=growth. I
forget, you do karate, how tall are you? Lets have another data point.

Jeff Wright

Dec 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/6/99

>>On Mon, 06 Dec 1999 03:18:34 GMT, "Joseph Munro"
>><sus...@home.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I heard that strenous excercise in karate and slow kicks will make u
taller?
>>>anyone have anything about this?

As a matter of fact, there is a direct relation between the height of
the karateka, and his or her level of advancement. For instance, the
famed Ozimoto ("The Great and Powerful AMAKS 18th Dan, Handcrafted
Swords at Reasonable Rates") is reported to be in excess of 15 feet
tall. This is due to the fact that his training has been unbroken for
the last 100 years. All this karate training made him that tall.

Me, I'm just 6" tall......

Curt Coman

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
Joseph:

Come to think of it, someone did recently comment to me that I looked
taller than when he had last seen me. Could be the training! ;-)

I have a friend who is about 5' - 7"...a little on the short side for a
Caucasian male. He recently began training in Tang Soo Do. I have high
hopes for him.
(No pun intended, of course.)

Curt

Genj...@webtv.net

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
Jeff Wright states

'Ozimoto -reported to be in excess of fifteen feet tall.'

16'' 4 1/2 inches, to be exact.

'This is due to the fact that his karate training has been unbroken for
the last 100 years.'

More'n that, Sonny.I trained with the veneralble Ku San Ku in 1762.After
a hiatus of seventy years after he died at the age of five hundred and
eighty, during which I studied the art of swordmaking with Miyamoto
Musashi, who did not die at age fifty-four as others have reported, as a
matter of fact I saw him just last week in Modesto,I resumed my training
WITH MATSUMURA(FRIENDS CALLED HIM SOKON), and then his students Itosu
and Yabu.Funny thing, all these guys looked and dressed exactly
alike.:-)

Yes this training made me tall, and also gave me incredible inner peace
and perfection of character. And I'll clobber anyone who says it didn't!

Ozimoto,
G&P AMAKS Eighteenth Dan,
16' 4 1/2 " tall from training,
978 lbs.sterlng,
(8" Chest and Bicep(Been working out lately:-)
Purveyor of Fine Handcrafted Swords at a Reasonable Price, e-mail
Ozi...@Thirtysevenchambers.com for catalog.

Sergio

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
In article <384d2432...@news.videotron.ca>, mo...@videotron.ca
(David Manise) wrote:

> I guess that since karate strenghtens all the postural muscles
> around
> the spine and abs, of course, it can make you stand upright more
> easily and thus give the impression that you are taller, but does
> the
> skeleton actually grows, I doubt it.

> David

I agree with George, I think it is at least possible that good assidous
training increases your actual height.
To support this idea I can add:
1 Bones (believe it or not) are not fixed structures: there is a
continuos exchange of cells and materials, so that microfractures are
always repared, and also the bones can adapt to the kind of stress they
undergo.
2 If you measure your height in the morning after a good sleep you'll
be taller than the evening before. You can try, but you'll need to be
very accurate.
3 Good training requires that you strech the spine in the moment of
kime in most movements. It is never correct to press the vertebral
disks one toward the other, you should do the opposite, having a
"stretching/elongating" feeling.
Taking 2 and 3 you may conclude that after a training session one might
be slightly taller.
Add 1 and you can consider the idea that bones together with all the
spine structures will adapt and grow a little.

I am not saying this truly happens, but it may be, and the fact that
many of us have this impression is reinforcing my supposition.

Cheers,
Sergio

Jan Selschotter

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
Sergio (serrrN...@tin.it.invalid) wrote:
: In article <384d2432...@news.videotron.ca>, mo...@videotron.ca
: (David Manise) wrote:

When I sleep during the day, and you see me in the evening, do you notice
I'm taller than in the morning? No.

When you sleep, you grow. I have slept a lot (far more than training
karate), so I have grown a lot. Simplistic and erratic conclusion.

It is possible to grow, but only when you break your bones and increase
the distance by .25 mm a day or something like that. Seen it on TV.
I think one has to train for *many* years to actually grow a little.

Jan.

+----------------------------+
| Virtus crescit in adversis |
+----------------------------+

----------------
Jan Selschotter
Lindenlaan 12
B-8920 Langemark
Jan.Sel...@advalvas.be
URL=http://studwww.rug.ac.be/~jselscho

Tom Mitchell

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Joseph Munro wrote:
> From: Joseph Munro <sus...@home.com>
> Subject: karate make you taller?
> Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 03:18:34 GMT

> I heard that strenous excercise in karate and slow kicks will make u taller?
> anyone have anything about this?

I have heard exactly the opposite for children. The strong
impacts can cause the growing ends of bones to stop growing.
This was noted by a young shortish japanese/american man in
his 30s now. He started training at age six.

My personal opinion is that there is little correlation with
training except in some very extreme situations. On the
flip side training improves circulation, burns off calories
that would have been fat and is generaly a good physical
activity. So karate would help one grow as much as socer,
track, gymnastics, basketball, baseball and swimming would.

Bones do respond to stress. They get thicker and stronger
from exercise as simple as walking.

SUMMARY:
Karate would help one grow as much as socer, track,
gymnastics, basketball, baseball and swimming would.

Later,
mitch

David Manise

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
On Mon, 06 Dec 1999 17:11:20 -0500, George Winter <gwi...@q-sys.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 06 Dec 1999 21:04:48 GMT, mo...@videotron.ca (David Manise)
>wrote:
>

>I hate to disagree but all the evidence points to karate=growth. I
>forget, you do karate, how tall are you? Lets have another data point.

I'm 6'2", but that doesn't prove anything, since I don't know how tall
I would have been if I didn't actually train.

Being tall in karate certainly is an advantage, so I think it is
reasonable to think that taller guys will like karate better and stick
to it. But did they actually grow ? I am still not convinced.

David

David Manise

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
On Tue, 07 Dec 1999 06:04:59 -0800, Sergio
<serrrN...@tin.it.invalid> wrote:

>In article <384d2432...@news.videotron.ca>, mo...@videotron.ca
>(David Manise) wrote:

>I agree with George, I think it is at least possible that good assidous
>training increases your actual height.

Maybe temporarily (although I would say it is the opposite, thanks to
impacts on the spine). True, when you sleep your spine "grows", but
after an hour or so standing you get back to your "average" height.

For what comes to microfractures, they will make your bones tougher,
but making them actually grow ??? Significantly ??? Nah.

David

Shawn Jefferson

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
On Tue, 07 Dec 1999 20:42:13 GMT, mo...@videotron.ca (David Manise)
wrote:

>>I agree with George, I think it is at least possible that good assidous
>>training increases your actual height.

<snip>

George, you should really start using smiley faces. Look what you
started. LOL!

I contemplated sitting back to see how long this would last, but I
couldn't help myself.

--
Shawn Jefferson
sjeffers(at)home(dot)com

George Winter

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
On Tue, 07 Dec 1999 12:44:42 -0800, Shawn Jefferson
<sjef...@home.com> wrote:

>George, you should really start using smiley faces. Look what you
>started. LOL!
>
>I contemplated sitting back to see how long this would last, but I
>couldn't help myself.

Sometimes if you draw back, deeper truths reveal themselves.
You must study this deeply.

Paul Tanenbaum

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
In article <eWF24.3594$227....@news.rdc1.md.home.com>,

"Joseph Munro" <sus...@home.com> wrote:
> I heard that strenous excercise in karate and slow kicks will make u
> taller?
> Anyone have anything about this?

Let's see...

I have registered my hands with the police.
I attained green belt by rolling around in the grass.
I developed my ki to the point of throwing people without touching
them.
I can lie on a bed of nails and walk on hot coals through my
Karateman willpower.

Now I will stretch my leg bones through the action of centrifugal
force resulting from roundhouse kicks. Logic suggests fast, not slow,
kicks.

Where would we be without urban rumor?

---
Paul T.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Paul Tanenbaum

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
In article <WMhLOHp17+EtjxeeadUlgI=P1...@4ax.com>,
gwi...@q-sys.com wrote:

> On Mon, 06 Dec 1999 03:18:34 GMT, "Joseph Munro" wrote:
> > I heard that strenous excercise in karate and slow kicks will make u
> > taller? Anyone have anything about this?
>
> I do karate and I'm 6'3 -- in fact I kept right on growing throughout
> college *while* I was doing karate.
> George

Now, George, you know that anecdotal evidence is hardly scientific.
Coincidence does not imply causation.

However, if we saw instances of the converse, the case would become
stronger. Does hiatus from karate make one shorter? Hmmm... what
about all those old men who wear their trousers around their nipples?
Could it be that their spines shortened after giving up karate?
Notify the medical journals.

con...@s3group.com

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99

> I have heard exactly the opposite for children. The strong
> impacts can cause the growing ends of bones to stop growing.
> This was noted by a young shortish japanese/american man in
> his 30s now. He started training at age six.

I would have to agree with this, having started training at 14 years
old, around 5'2"-5'6", now 26, and 5'8" tall...

> SUMMARY:
> Karate would help one grow as much as socer, track,
> gymnastics, basketball, baseball and swimming would.

As for gymnastics, this could also explain the stunted looks and height
of female olympic gymnasts, then again, they are all around 10 years
old these days :-)

Regards,

Conor Clifford.

David Manise

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
<sjef...@home.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 07 Dec 1999 20:42:13 GMT, mo...@videotron.ca (David Manise)
>wrote:
>
>>>I agree with George, I think it is at least possible that good assidous
>>>training increases your actual height.
>
><snip>
>

>George, you should really start using smiley faces. Look what you
>started. LOL!

DOH !!!

I can't believe what a fish I am... <sigh> I'm disgusted :^)

David

Joseph Munro

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
whats assidous training?
David Manise <mo...@videotron.ca> wrote in message

Tom Mitchell

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999 con...@s3group.com wrote:

> As for gymnastics, this could also explain the stunted looks and height
> of female olympic gymnasts, then again, they are all around 10 years
> old these days :-)

We should not use extreme sports (Olympic Level) as a base
line. There are very strong ectomorphic aesthetic selection
processes involved, just like ballet. If you do not look
right then you are almost never given the level of training
that would put you on top.

For some things, long levers (arms and legs) are a
disadvantage. Strength moves like an iron cross are a whole
bunch easier with short arms. Some extreme power lift
records based on personal mass to lifted mass ratios have
been set by dwarves.

As near as I can tell the single largest factor involved in
growth is diet, exercise and the timing of both. i.e. the
classic training table.

Compare and contrast sports with dual scoring, artistic
merit and technical merit against physical measurement.

How high can you jump, how fast can you run. Or how fine
you look when you jump (ice skating).

The melding of the martial and art in Karate is a strange
thing and causes some funny stuff. It is present but less
visible in the art of boxing. It is invisible when the
decision is by KO. We have all seen boxing decisions where
the decision went the 'wrong' way. Compare and contrast the
scoring of olympic and professional boxing matches.

Zolly Skocic

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99

Tom Mitchell wrote:

> As near as I can tell the single largest factor involved in
> growth is diet, exercise and the timing of both. i.e. the
> classic training table.

I think heritage is also important.

Tom Mitchell

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99

Yes.

I excluded it because it is not something that could be
selected in the way the mix of food on the dinner plate can
be selected. Horse breeders work very hard to select the
parents of a colt. They cannot select specific genetic
material (today).

The trainer can feed and train the colt.

Of interest in this discussion are the age limits that exist
Colts too young are not permitted to be raced for fear that
they be damaged for life.

Joseph Munro

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99

Tom Mitchell <mi...@csd.sgi.com> wrote in message
why are we talking about horses?

Andrew Knowles

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
con...@s3group.com wrote

New poster FAQ'd

Andrew

Andrew Knowles

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
Joseph Munro wrote

>I heard that strenous excercise in karate and slow kicks will make u taller?

In exactly the same way that pulling yourself will make you longer...

Paul Willoughby

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
On Mon, 06 Dec 1999 09:30:59 -0500, George Winter <gwi...@q-sys.com> wrote:

>I do karate and I'm 6'3 -- in fact I kept right on growing throughout
>college *while* I was doing karate.

>--

I have to agree with your findings, George. When I started karate I was under
5'10" and now I am 6'3", as well. Must have been the training.

Paul

Devon Oslund

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99

Andrew Knowles <cz...@bigpond.com> wrote in message

> Joseph Munro wrote
>
> >I heard that strenous excercise in karate and slow kicks will make u
taller?

> In exactly the same way that pulling yourself will make you longer...

You mean I've been wasting my time?

Damn!

-Devon

Bill

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99

Devon Oslund wrote:

It's not the destination that's important... it's the journey. ;-)

Bill

Andrew Knowles

Dec 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/16/99
[Joseph Munro]:

I heard that strenous excercise in karate and slow kicks will make u
taller?

[Andrew]:

In exactly the same way that pulling yourself will make you longer...

[Devon]:

You mean I've been wasting my time?

Damn!

[Bill]:

It's not the destination that's important... it's the journey. ;-)

Occasionally this group comes up with what can only be classed as "Champagne
Comedy". Congratulations Devon and Bill. I nearly fell off my chair laughing
at your follow-ups.

Andrew

Scott

Dec 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/16/99
Have you been wasting your time...Maybe not.

Stretching yourself etc might be counteracting the effect
of the jumping kicks where the landing might be compressing
the spine, and making you shorter! Maybe we all should
have been in the NBA. :)

C A III A

Dec 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/18/99
no you were not wasting your time. think.

--
C A III A

http://solnishko.webjump.com

"Devon Oslund" <devo...@elevatedtemperaturepostalservice.com> wrote in
message news:82sslm$rs0$1...@holly.prod.itd.earthlink.net...

> Andrew Knowles <cz...@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> > Joseph Munro wrote
> >

> > >I heard that strenous excercise in karate and slow kicks will make u
> taller?
> >

> > In exactly the same way that pulling yourself will make you longer...
>

> You mean I've been wasting my time?
>
> Damn!
>

> -Devon

kumar...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2020, 11:51:30 PM7/22/20
I'm doing hard exercise but not kicks and punches