Breathing

Shawn Jefferson

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/19/96

big...@mindspring.com (24 Fighting Chickens) wrote:

I think you caught a big fish. Here's my contribution:

>Another thing that bothers me is people who are afraid to do
>particular body actions because of something they heard in aerobics
>class...

This bothers me as well. I figure if your body can do it, it isn't
bad for you. Maybe when I get older I'll think differently...

>For example, not bending your knees all the way down during squat
>kicking. Just shut up and bend them! Jeez! What'd someone do, run a
>controlled experiment for 40 years testing the squatting action? I
>think not. Exercise rules seem to come and go faster than the
>Macarena.
>
>Another thing that bothers me is the "modern" sit up. People barely
>crunching their bodies 20 or 30 times? Stupid! Back strain? Of
>course, it's called exercise! Your back is weak...do something to
>strengthen it.

I don't really think situps like we all do them is really the best way
to exercise your abdominals. But I ain't no fitness guru...

Shawn

Brad Nation

Dec 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/21/96

Richard L. Frazier wrote:

> With 10+ years of performing all types of wazoo workouts, some of my
> invention and others from even greater minds than mine, I have found
> THE definitive abdominal/lower back exercise. The flutterkick.

Having done more than a few of those, I must agree with you whole
heartedly. When I was going through basic training, it was frequently
done as a form of torture :)

Brad

Richard L. Frazier

Dec 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/21/96

On 21 Dec 1996 15:09:14 GMT in
<19961221150...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, newag...@aol.com
(NewAgeHawk) wrote:

:In the flutter kick are the toes pointed away or "up"? How much does the
:foot travel?

The toes are pointed away, just as if you were swimming with a set of
fins on.

The distance that the foot travels depends on you. The foot should
never dip below 6" from the ground. It can be raised anywhere from
18" to as high as you can lift your leg and still keep it straight.

The larger the movement, the greater the energy exerted and the hip
flexor muscle is worked. The strain on the abdominals is about the
same for small or large movements, as is the strain on the lower back.
Remember, the key to this exercise is having the hands behind the neck
and the legs remaining straight.

:Do the chicks really dig "washboard" abs?

Of course!

^v^
Rick

Appointed Keeper of the One True Book of Netiquette
Guardian of The Secret Order of the ^v^
And Doler of Frivolous Castigations

NewAgeHawk

Dec 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/21/96

Rick,

In the flutter kick are the toes pointed away or "up"? How much does the
foot travel?

Do the chicks really dig "washboard" abs?

Thanks,

Ken Hawkins
St. Louis, Mo

elmar

Dec 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/21/96

In article <32cce551...@news.mindspring.com>
big...@mindspring.com (24 Fighting Chickens) writes:

>Yes, as have I. One of the most annoying things that I have ever come
>across in karate is having a senior do the "warm up."

There is a place for this, but a very small place. In my dojo, the first
month includes "formal" warmups, generally run by my senior since I have
been through all of it by running the previous hour's beginne's class.
After that first month of the new semester, each person in the general
class is expected to be warmed up and stretched before class officially
starts. Beginners get the full warmup treatment for the entire semester,
but I run it myself.

>For example, not bending your knees all the way down during squat
>kicking. Just shut up and bend them! Jeez! What'd someone do, run a
>controlled experiment for 40 years testing the squatting action? I
>think not. Exercise rules seem to come and go faster than the
>Macarena.

Actually, I think there is documented clinical case sets that show
the effects of doing full squats with the heels clamped to the floor.
Doing this with speed and "bounce" results in a shearing motion in
the knee joint, and thus is not good. If you allow the heels to rise
such that the knee always acts as a hinge joint whose bisector remains
parallel to the ground, you should have not physiological reason not
to do it.

>Another thing that bothers me is the "modern" sit up. People barely
>crunching their bodies 20 or 30 times? Stupid! Back strain? Of
>course, it's called exercise! Your back is weak...do something to
>strengthen it.

I trust you allow pads under the butt? My tailbone sticks out, and if I do
standard situps that force the pelvis to roll, I bleed all over the floor.

- elmar schmeisser (back from Army Reserve duty at last)

Robert Agar-Hutton

Dec 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/21/96

In article <32cce551...@news.mindspring.com>, 24 Fighting Chickens
<big...@mindspring.com> writes

Hi Rob, (and All),

>Another thing that bothers me is the "modern" sit up. People barely
>crunching their bodies 20 or 30 times? Stupid! Back strain? Of
>course, it's called exercise! Your back is weak...do something to
>strengthen it.

Yeah, all this modern scientific crap, pisses me off too....

When I was training we used to do knuckle press-ups on broken glass, and
do full squats, with a big heavy guy sitting on our shoulders, and loads
of ballistic stretching exercises, and it never hurt me at all.... Of
course now that I have arthritus, bone cancer, and am in this
wheelchair, I have had to tone down one or two of the harder exercises,
but I still go Lion hunting in Africa once a year, and I always kill
them with my bare hands.

(For the humor impaired... The above was an untrue and satirical comment
on Rob's posting, some exercises can be replaced by better exercises,
e.g. doing sit-ups with knees bent rather than legs straight. Some
exercises will always be dangerous, so it is up to the instructor (and
the student) to push past the comfort zone, but not into the danger
zone.)

Yours in the Arts.

--
Robert Agar-Hutton.

I East Coast CyberDojo Meet I
I Been there, Done it, Got the T-shirt! I
+--------...@winghigh.demon.co.uk----------+

(G.H. Bush)

Dec 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/23/96

OPH...@ukcc.uky.edu (elmar) wrote to let us know he was still alive
and sucking on a Mint Julip:

}After that first month of the new semester, each person in the
}general
}class is expected to be warmed up and stretched before class
}officially
}starts. Beginners get the full warmup treatment for the entire
}semester,
}but I run it myself.

If I have an hour and a half class and I spend the required 20 mins or
so of warm up and the 20 mins or so of warm down then I have spent 40
mins of a 1 1/2 hr. class on non instructional material. My time is
more valuable than that. The students get to the dojo in time to warm
up or they start cold. We start slow but the stretching, once taught,
is done on one's own time.

}>controlled experiment for 40 years testing the squatting action? I
}>think not. Exercise rules seem to come and go faster than the
}>Macarena.

Rob you are fined 50 cyber pushups for mentioning this hemoriod of the
musical community.

jiin

George Winter

Dec 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/23/96

On Sat, 21 Dec 96 12:06:34 EST, OPH...@ukcc.uky.edu (elmar) wrote:

rob.

>>For example, not bending your knees all the way down during squat
>>kicking. Just shut up and bend them! Jeez! What'd someone do, run a

>>controlled experiment for 40 years testing the squatting action? I
>>think not. Exercise rules seem to come and go faster than the
>>Macarena.
>>

>If you allow the heels to rise

>such that the knee always acts as a hinge joint whose bisector remains
>parallel to the ground, you should have not physiological reason not
>to do it.

This is really interesting. I have dropped most of the sqatting stuff
from my warmups & exercises because my knees are going & I do not want
to hasten the day of orthoscopic surgury. If at all possibly I would
appreciate the medical low-down on sqat-kicks & etc. because I find
these exercises very difficult to replace with kinder gentler
versions.

>I trust you allow pads under the butt? My tailbone sticks out, and if I do
>standard situps that force the pelvis to roll, I bleed all over the floor.

My class can vouch for this. We have been ending the class with ~100
situps & that damn tokaido cuts a hole in my butt. Which is almost a
disabling injury to a "knowledge worker" such as myself. Now
everyone scampers to the sidelines & gets a towel.

>- elmar schmeisser (back from Army Reserve duty at last)

Welcome back.

George
George Winter
QSYS Ltd. gwi...@q-sys.com (work)
Information Systems Consulting George...@msn.com (home)

George Winter

Dec 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/23/96

On Mon, 23 Dec 1996 16:32:50 GMT, big...@mindspring.com (24 Fighting
Chickens) wrote:

>I did the same at one point, then I started doing heavy-duty iron
>pumping a few years ago. When I did squat thrusts, knee lifts, and
>hamstring exercises with real heavy weights for 6 reps @ 3 sets, my
>knee problems *vanished!* I was able to continue my looney training
>drills while the weight lifting seemed to hold my knees together.

Anyone else had this experience? I am certainly willing to give it a
try as being weak kneed (is this where the expression comes from) is a
pain in the but when you have young children.

It seems logical that the stronger the muscles surrounding the knee,
the better off it is. I just did not see what exercises could
strengthen the knee without stressing it.

Thanks

Richard L. Frazier

Dec 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/23/96

On Mon, 23 Dec 1996 17:06:48 GMT in
<32bfbb73...@news.alterdial.uu.net>, George...@msn.com (George
Winter) wrote:

:Anyone else had this experience? I am certainly willing to give it a

:try as being weak kneed (is this where the expression comes from) is a
:pain in the but when you have young children.

You betcha. Medial miniscus in the right knee is gone-daddy-gone.
Weight training is the best recuperative exercise that I've found.

:It seems logical that the stronger the muscles surrounding the knee,

:the better off it is. I just did not see what exercises could
:strengthen the knee without stressing it.

In order to strengthen it you have to apply some amount of stress.
The key here is to walk that razor's edge of *just enough but not too
much* exercise. A technique you may try is starting with ridiculously
light weight in various exercises, then progressively increase the
weight over time, allowing the knee to become use to the added stress.
Several quality exercises are:

-squats
-leg extensions
-leg curls
-hack squats
-leg presses
-lunges

Hmmm... I just noticed how the topic of this thread changed from
breathing into knee exercises. Seven deep. Interesting, huh?

.

rick

Dec 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/27/96

George Winter <George...@msn.com> wrote in article
<32bfbb73...@news.alterdial.uu.net>...

> On Mon, 23 Dec 1996 16:32:50 GMT, big...@mindspring.com (24 Fighting
> Chickens) wrote:
>
> >I did the same at one point, then I started doing heavy-duty iron
> >pumping a few years ago. When I did squat thrusts, knee lifts, and
> >hamstring exercises with real heavy weights for 6 reps @ 3 sets, my
> >knee problems *vanished!* I was able to continue my looney training
> >drills while the weight lifting seemed to hold my knees together.
> >

> Anyone else had this experience? I am certainly willing to give it a
> try as being weak kneed (is this where the expression comes from) is a
> pain in the but when you have young children.
>

> It seems logical that the stronger the muscles surrounding the knee,
> the better off it is. I just did not see what exercises could
> strengthen the knee without stressing it.
>

> Thanks
>
> George
> George Winter

Yes. Let me introduce myself. I have been studying and teaching Shotokan
in Atlanta for seventeen years now.

I hurt my knee running earlier this year, and what I found that helped the
most was doing fairly light reps on a leg
extension machine followed by a leg curls. I would keep the weights light,
and I wouldn't do any squats or leg
presses until your knee feels strong enough. I have been keeping this up,
and my legs are stronger than ever. I also did and still do one-leg knee
dips (not sure of the techincal name). This is where you bend your front
leg like front stance, and come up on the back leg on the ball of the foot
with the back leg bent a little more than 90 degrees. Slowly drop the knee
til is a fraction of an inch above the floor, and come back up again. Try
to keep the front knee over the foot during the excercise.

Hope this helps.

Rick Yuzzi
ri...@america.net

(G.H. Bush)

Dec 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/28/96

"rick" <ri...@america.net> wrote to let us know he was still alive and

sucking on a Mint Julip:

}Yes. Let me introduce myself. I have been studying and teaching
}Shotokan
}in Atlanta for seventeen years now.

Rick did you study with Ren Halverson? Give me a good e-mail address
or someone tell me why I can't e-mail this. I get the "needs domain
address" error message.

jiin

Shawn Jefferson

Dec 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/29/96

big...@mindspring.com (24 Fighting Chickens) wrote:

> >These headers and the email address are forged. While I don't mind a

Anonymous email is incredibly easy to do. And email to newsgroup
gateways are plentiful. Anyone who wished to be annoying in this
manner could easily. Most people have a LIFE though and don't have
time for this crap.

>Well, now Rick has sent me some email, and it bounced when I tried to
>respond to it. Any explanation Rick? I'm not sure that you even know
>what a header is!

That's part of a car engine or something ain't it?

Shawn

Kevin Hawley

Dec 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/31/96

Daniel M. Arner <shot...@fll.mindspring.com> wrote in article

> Who'd ya train with, what are your credentials??

Now where I have I heard this before???

- Kevin.

Daniel M. Arner

Dec 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/31/96

while lying through his teeth "rick" <ri...@america.net> wrote:

>Yes. Let me introduce myself. I have been studying and teaching Shotokan
>in Atlanta for seventeen years now.

Liar!!!!, you may train, you may teach - but it ain't shotokan bucko.

I bet that you think Dan McFarland trains shotokan too..

This is the problem with the web, any peckerhead, no name 12 year old
can claim to be president of the US.

Unfortunately some of us know better.

Who'd ya train with, what are your credentials??

You have none. If you did, I would know ya, Rob would know ya, or
Jiin would know ya.

Liar!!!!!

>Hope this helps.

Hope this helps -

Rob says come on by and teach him some shotokan.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

ps - do you know the dojo kun??????????

rotflmao

dan

Daniel M. Arner

Dec 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/31/96

"Kevin Hawley" <KHa...@Starlinx.com> wrote:

while under the influence of imported beer and deliberately baiting:

>Daniel M. Arner <shot...@fll.mindspring.com> wrote in article

>> Who'd ya train with, what are your credentials??

>Now where I have I heard this before???

yep, I plead guilty of deliberately baiting a liar to come out and
give the very credentials that I have posted should not be necessary
to this group.

my reasons are thus:

1) I taught shotokan in Atlanta for several years. See there yet
another gem of a credential.

2) I had the only yellow pages ad in Atlanta for over three years.

3) I attempted to contact every legitimate shotokan instructor in town
during this timeframe.

4) Many other shotokan students and instructors contacted me during
this timeframe. Most are now my friends - with a few exceptions. But
then again they don't like Rob either bahahahahahaha!!!!

5) Through the other instructors I networked, attended tournaments,
trained with Rob, trained with jiin, and got to know the extremely
small shotokan presence that is in Atlanta.

6) This numb nut - who has not bothered to respond to my baited posts
- was not there. He is NOT shotokan. He is a liar and I will expose
him as such.

Why should this matter???

Well its a personnel peeve of mine when people attest to
training/teaching shotokan and they do not. Its like houswives
calling themselves domestic engineers. I busted my tail to get my
chemical engineering degree (more self serving credentials) and don't
like that either.

this is the equivalent of the Joe Corely email that I received where
he stated that he was going to fix karate. Utter bs.

If he responds with the name and address of his school, I will have
him weeded out. If Darryl, Rob, and Jiin don't knock the pantywaist
back to lurkdom - I'll personally fly to Atlanta and do it.

The lying and politics in Atlanta are/were every bit as wretched as
anything that the JKA ever did, and I will not tolerate the
continuation of such.

Dan McFAGland - shotokan - I think not.
This liar is not either.

dan
up on his soapbox and spewing in a venomous rage

question answered to your satisfaction Kevin????

dlmcfar...@gmail.com

Nov 10, 2014, 2:51:08 PM11/10/14
How does my name keep coming up in these old texts ak was agood study in contrast. I'm dan mcfarland and I'm. Back!