handling a slow attack

markta...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2015, 4:26:21 PM8/26/15
Looks like a ghost town, but I'll give this a try anyhow...

I saw a movie the other day, two men facing each other,
both tall and lean, approximately equal size. One
approaches the other with both arms outstretched,
the other responds likewise, they grab each other,
struggle for a minute, then fall to the ground.

Notice this sequence is never covered in those self
defense courses, or any sports style combat art;
they invariably simulate a punch, or bear hug, or
the assailant rushes the defender. But they never
play out this 'slow assault': attacker simply walks
toward you, deliberately, reaching with one or both arms.

So: assailant walks toward you, both arms
outstretched, intending to grab and throw you to
the ground. Or, one arm forward, to grab and pummel.

How to respond? Important: assume villain has
a reach advantage. Hence counter-striking appears unlikely.

Reviewing my experience... in aikido, they focus on footwork,
against an opponent approaching fast. Evade, make him
miss, then counter. But if he's well balanced, not
over-committed, approaching deliberately, the aikido player
is at sea!

Karate is essentially a kickboxing sport, assumes an opponent
likewise, not suited for the scenario described.

Judo assumes a grappling situation: appropriate here, yes?
hmmm.... it starts with a grip contest, which assumes an
opponent playing by the same rules, not an opponent intending
to grab and pummel.

All other styles that I have seen, suffer the same limitations.

It seems to me, best counter is to drop altitude, go for
his legs, beneath his arms, a la freestyle wrestling, especially
if he's standing straight. Fine if you're young, with grappling
experience, not so practical for the rest of us.

It's absurd that these so-called martial arts don't address
such a simple scenario.

Mark

markta...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2015, 4:28:37 PM8/26/15
On Wednesday, August 26, 2015 markta...@gmail.com wrote:
> Looks like a ghost town, but I'll give this a try anyhow...

PS rec.martial-arts is also on life support -
are there any other boards where intelligent
conversation of karate or martial arts occurs?