Selling clothes - seasonal shopping trends

mag...@rahul.net

Jul 21, 2002, 1:09:36 PM7/21/02
I have a lot of unused clothes (in good condition) that I want to
sell. Right now, it's the middle of the summer. Do buyers
actively buy seasonal clothes in the middle of a season, is now a
good time for summer clothes? What about fall clothes, is it too
soon, or are people looking now for items to fill in their fall
wardrobe? Should I wait until I see the fall clothes ads for the
local department store? Or even later (when it actually cools
down)?

I have some items that would make good Halloween costumes. Is
there much market for these items before Oct 1, or do most people
wait until October to plan a costume (and then shop for it)?

I have some holiday party dresses (some have never been worn).
Again, how soon in advance of the holidays would be the optimal
time to advertise these dresses? Do you get diminishing returns
by waiting for the peak buying season because more sellers are
listing at that time (and thus you have more competition)?

THANKS!

jc

Don Lancaster

Jul 21, 2002, 4:48:15 PM7/21/02

We tried everything to sell our premium quality brand new military
surplus clothes.

All failed miserably and we finally gave thousands of dollars of
inventory to the thrift store.

Every auctioneer we talked to gives the same advice.

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster
Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
voice: (928)428-4073 email: d...@tinaja.com fax 847-574-1462

mag...@rahul.net

Jul 21, 2002, 5:44:57 PM7/21/02
On Sun, 21 Jul 2002 13:48:15 -0700, Don Lancaster
<d...@tinaja.com> said:

>mag...@rahul.net wrote:
>>
>> I have a lot of unused clothes (in good condition) that I want to
>> sell. Right now, it's the middle of the summer. Do buyers
>> actively buy seasonal clothes in the middle of a season, is now a
>> good time for summer clothes? What about fall clothes, is it too
>> soon, or are people looking now for items to fill in their fall
>> wardrobe? Should I wait until I see the fall clothes ads for the
>> local department store? Or even later (when it actually cools
>> down)?
>>
>> I have some items that would make good Halloween costumes. Is
>> there much market for these items before Oct 1, or do most people
>> wait until October to plan a costume (and then shop for it)?
>>
>> I have some holiday party dresses (some have never been worn).
>> Again, how soon in advance of the holidays would be the optimal
>> time to advertise these dresses? Do you get diminishing returns
>> by waiting for the peak buying season because more sellers are
>> listing at that time (and thus you have more competition)?
>>
>> THANKS!
>>
>> jc
>
>We tried everything to sell our premium quality brand new military
>surplus clothes.

Please be a bit more detailed about "everything". Did you try to
place similar auctions during different seasons to see if there
were any seasonal buying patterns for this type of product?

>All failed miserably and we finally gave thousands of dollars of
>inventory to the thrift store.

If you are following your own advice and trying to get 30x what
you paid for them while trying to sell numerous quantities of
identical items, I can see why this would be a problem. Also,
it's possible that you were trying to sell at the wrong time of
the year (the *point* of my question, not if clothes will or will
not sell at all) an issue which you totally failed to address in
this post.

>Every auctioneer we talked to gives the same advice.

A friend of mine recently (in June!) sold a wool sweater with
tags on for ~$40. I have similar garments (some with tags on,
some that have been worn once or twice but are "like new"). They
are just sitting there in the closet, taking up space. If I can
sell them, great. I'll go ahead and donate what I can't sell,
but I want to try selling first, and selling at the optimum time.

jc

Joe Smith

Jul 22, 2002, 10:44:45 AM7/22/02
like don said, sounds like you have a bunch of crap there that needs to be
donated, or better yet, thrown away. why ask a question and then not accept
the answer?

<mag...@rahul.net> wrote in message

Teh Te of Ms Poopie Pants

Jul 22, 2002, 1:04:43 PM7/22/02

I sell clothes on ebay but they are high end name brand so I usually
get a much better price than I would get if I had put them in a garage
sale.

Leov,

Ms Pants

usenet philosopher
***********************

Read my latest book: Change Your Pants, Change Your Life

It's a dead man's party, who could ask for more.

***********************

Be normal and the crowd will accept you.
Be deranged and they will make you their leader.
--Christopher Titus

mag...@rahul.net

Jul 22, 2002, 1:26:04 PM7/22/02
On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 14:44:45 GMT, "Joe Smith" <joes...@usa.com>
said:

>like don said, sounds like you have a bunch of crap there that needs to be
>donated, or better yet, thrown away. why ask a question and then not accept
>the answer?

If the question GOT an answer, I'd be happy. So far, there has
not been a single answer to the question I asked, concerning the
seasonal nature of clothes shopping/marketing, and thus when is
the *best* time to list clothes of a seasonal nature in this
particular market (online auctions, eBay in particular).

Don's identical military surplus clothing is not at all similar
to my inventory of individual items of high quality clothing, so
I see no reason to assume that his sales experience and mine will
be identical. Just because he has asserted that it will be so
doesn't mean it WILL be so. Don is fallible, in fact Don is
often wrong (as when he trots out his stale old advice about 10
words for terms and conditions, and then never follows his own
advice because it's impossible to follow).

I have a fancy autumn-toned beaded dress that was originally
priced at several hundred dollars, that is brand new and still
has the tags on. This type of garment sells in consignment
shops [1] all the time, while said consignment shops don't carry
(and thus don't sell) surplus military clothing. OTOH, the local
army surplus stores have stacks of surplus military clothing, but
no beaded dresses, and they sell their inventory just fine. The
military surplus store and the consignment shop are in different
towns, with different neighboring retail outlets etc, so they
draw from very different customer bases. Asking someone who has
success (or failure) in selling military surplus clothing for
advice on selling beaded dresses seems unwise due to the very
different nature of these products, and taking such advice seems
very short sighted.

jc

[1] Consignment shops take a 50% commission, and it generally
takes from 30-180 days for items to sell, thus I'd rather sell on
eBay, but I'd like to sell at the *right time* to get the maximum
potential audience for the items.

TyMeDwn1st

Jul 22, 2002, 3:51:59 PM7/22/02
mag...@rahul.net wrote:

>[1] Consignment shops take a 50% commission, and it generally
>takes from 30-180 days for items to sell, thus I'd rather sell on
>eBay, but I'd like to sell at the *right time* to get the maximum
>potential audience for the items.

I wonder if it wouldn't be helpful to spend some research time looking at the
current offerings of some of the bigger clothing sellers on eBay to see what
they're carrying right now?

For that matter, you might also check out your local consignment shops to see
what they're stocking; they're every bit as aware of who buys what when as the
regulars here will be.

--
Ty
Who is mostly just

This address is white-listed. Mail sent to it may ping back to the sender.

Kris Baker

Jul 22, 2002, 8:15:00 PM7/22/02

mag...@rahul.net wrote:
>[1] Consignment shops take a 50% commission, and it generally
>takes from 30-180 days for items to sell, thus I'd rather sell on
>eBay, but I'd like to sell at the *right time* to get the maximum
>potential audience for the items.

All you need to do is pay attention to what retailers are selling,
and at what times of the year. If I were selling clothing, I'd
key in to that schedule then add about 30 days (because the
retailers do seem to display new merchandise a bit ahead
of the season). The retailers DO know what they're doing,
you know; otherwise, they wouldn't be putting out summer
swimsuits in March.

Kris

mag...@rahul.net

Jul 23, 2002, 12:04:16 AM7/23/02
On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 00:15:00 GMT, "Kris Baker"
<kris....@prodigyy.net> said:

>mag...@rahul.net wrote:
>>[1] Consignment shops take a 50% commission, and it generally
>>takes from 30-180 days for items to sell, thus I'd rather sell on
>>eBay, but I'd like to sell at the *right time* to get the maximum
>>potential audience for the items.
>
>All you need to do is pay attention to what retailers are selling,
>and at what times of the year. If I were selling clothing, I'd
>key in to that schedule then add about 30 days (because the

Is that "30 days" a guess, or based on experience?

>retailers do seem to display new merchandise a bit ahead
>of the season). The retailers DO know what they're doing,
>you know; otherwise, they wouldn't be putting out summer
>swimsuits in March.

I'm already aware of all of that. Retailers *advertise* their
goods well in advance of when people actually *buy* them, but
when I place an auction, I'm selling (not advertising), and if I
place it too early it's not like in a store where the merchandise
can just sit and wait until the weather changes and people
actually start shopping for the new season. Also, they have
sales (translates to lower prices) early in the season. I don't
want to sell my autumn clothes at "sale prices" by listing them
too early in the season if I can get higher prices by waiting
until the peak market for these items.

My local newspaper today had an ad for fall/winter coats on sale
at a large department store. But somehow, given the present
summer heat and the summer auction duldrums, it just doesn't seem
very smart for me to try to sell 2 winter coats on eBay, just
yet.

That's why I'm trying to get feedback from people who actually
have had success selling seasonal clothing on eBay.

jc

Kay Hsueh

Mar 9, 2021, 1:23:32 AM3/9/21
Hello ,

Good day .

Please check our website - http://www.super-sourcingpro.com/

And let me know what you need , thanks !

Kind Regards,
Kay Hsueh ( Ms. )
TONGTONGMENGLI(AT)GMAIL(DOT)COM

mag...@rahul.net 在 2002年7月23日 星期二下午12:04:16 [UTC+8] 的信中寫道: