Paypal is getting ridiculous

1 view

targ

Jul 11, 2005, 10:35:19 PM7/11/05
as far as pushing you to use a bank account.

I was sending a payment to a seller earlier today and like usual a bank
account was default. I specified I wanted to use a credit card, and said
YES to the "are you really sure?" screen.

I was just about to send the payment and I decided to change the message I
had typed for him so I clicked "edit" and changed the message and clicked
ok. I certainly did NOT change the payment method back to a bank account.

I clicked send payment and checked the details and oh look, it defaulted
back to a bank account after the edit even though I didn't make such a
change.

Unfortunately the default bank account it used did NOT have sufficient funds
to cover the purchase. So I had to get my check book from my other bank,
write a check out to my self, and waste my time driving to the bank to
deposit it in the account with insufficient funds so it doesn't bounce 2
days from now.

Next time Paypal defaults my payment option back to a bank account with out
my doing so I'll be informing my bank they withdrew that money with out my
consent.

chaz

Jul 11, 2005, 10:51:08 PM7/11/05

"targ" <targ...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I think you would lose that arguement with your bank. PP isnt out to get
you, the system is set to reset some options if you decide to back up and
punt. I am assuing you didnt look to make sure you were funding properly? Is
it your position that PP should know you dont have money in the account? PP
isnt a bank, its a payment method. I understand your frustration, but taking
it out on yourself isnt going to help matters :)

Have you written to PP to complain and perhaps suggest they look at how they
do things? I bet they have a reason other than some kind of conspiracy to
"get" you. I hope this helps give you another vantage point.

chaz

ronald

Jul 11, 2005, 10:57:15 PM7/11/05

"chaz" <cha...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
PayPal does not like credit card chargebacks and rhat is why they want to
sucker the buyer into using bank funding.
ron

targ

Jul 11, 2005, 11:25:19 PM7/11/05

"chaz" <cha...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Actually I do think I would win that argument with my bank. I
*specifically* indicated I wanted to use my CC. I clicked the "edit" button
to edit the message to the seller. I didn't press the back button on my
browser. After I changed it I clicked ok and it took me back to the final
screen to send payment. The sellers email address obviously was the same.
The amount to be sent was the same. The note was edited as it should be.
But paypal apparently decides to pull a fast one and switch the payment back
to a bank account when you edit the message to send to the seller.

They made the change from credit card to bank account entirely on their own
after they were told I wanted to use a credit card. I could not imagine
they would make that change on their own when I had already specified I
wanted to use a CC for the payment. They did so with out my authorization,
and therefore anything they take from my bank account is unauthorized.
(which is a crime) Go try it out for your self.

Are they supposed to know there is not enough money in the bank account?
No - but when I had just selected CC instead of bank account there is a
REASON for that. They took it on themselves to make that change with out
being instructed to do so nor was I informed that change was made. Nor was
I suspecting them to pull such a trick.

> Have you written to PP to complain and perhaps suggest they look at how
> they do things? I bet they have a reason other than some kind of
> conspiracy to "get" you. I hope this helps give you another vantage point.

Yes I have written to complain. It's not a conspiracy to get ME - it's a
trick they pull with EVERYONE. Anyone clicking the "edit" button to change
the message they send to the seller will also find they change the payment
option from CC back to bank account despite the fact the user NEVER makes
that change - THEY do. Again, go try it out and the same thing will happen.

Angrie.Woman

Jul 11, 2005, 11:30:23 PM7/11/05
targ wrote:
> "chaz" <cha...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

> Yes I have written to complain. It's not a conspiracy to get ME - it's a
> trick they pull with EVERYONE. Anyone clicking the "edit" button to change
> the message they send to the seller will also find they change the payment
> option from CC back to bank account despite the fact the user NEVER makes
> that change - THEY do. Again, go try it out and the same thing will happen.

I had it happen too, but the account it defaulted to was closed. I just
sent some money to that PayPal account, so when the transfer bounced the
money was there to cover it.

TyMeDwn1st

Jul 11, 2005, 11:53:26 PM7/11/05
On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 02:35:19 GMT, "targ" <targ...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

You'll lose that dispute. All PayPal will need to do is provide the
electronic agreement you provided when you allowed the default choice
to go through. Whether you intended that result or not, that's the
way you left it.

--
Ty
Who is mostly just a

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.
--Edward Abbey

targ

Jul 11, 2005, 11:58:16 PM7/11/05

"TyMeDwn1st" <tymedwn1...@aol.com> wrote in message

The electronic agreement I agreed to was that a CC be used. I chose that
option. I did NOT agree for them to change it to a bank account. I was not
informed of the change, and the change from CC to bank account was made with
out my consent.

I did not "leave it" at the default. I changed it and they changed it back
with out informing me.

Lil' Abner

Jul 12, 2005, 1:36:31 AM7/12/05
"Angrie.Woman" <Angrie...@ggmail.com> wrote in

They really ought to let you set a default payment method. If you have
two bank accounts, you can set one of them as default, but you can't do it
with the credit card option.

--
-- If FedEx and UPS were to merge, would they call it Fed UP? --

Lil' Abner

Jul 12, 2005, 1:40:49 AM7/12/05
"targ" <targ...@hotmail.com> wrote in

They call the credit card "backup funding". I just wonder if you didn't
have the money in your checking account whether they would have
automatically taken it from your credit card anyway.

pkstore2

Jul 12, 2005, 5:11:00 AM7/12/05

"Lil' Abner" <blv...@dogpatch.com> wrote in message

Once Googlepay comes out you won't have to worry about Paypal anymore. The
only thing that might fix those people since they DON"T care, is a clas
action lawsuit. We had last week another issue where we used the Ebay
checkout page to pay a guy in Europe $450+ and he refunded it back to us for
his page said "unconfirmed" address where both of our addresses are
confirmed. I went back and paid him manually from the "send funds" tab
entering then info myself and both times it then said "confirmed". I looked
back at my receipt email and the first time from the Ebay checkout page it
did say unconfirmed. Their system has been changed & updated so many times
the only way it can be fixed is to revamp the whole system all the way from
Ebay to Paypal. They don't want to start over or admit their system is
flawed so someday when the new compeition finally comes they will be in the
mud over their head and then it will be too late to do anything
constructive. I just don't understand how they employed people in those
technical departments that can't get the job done. You'd think so the
company is based around computers/internet that they hire professionals from
Microsoft or soemthing ot make things work more streamlined. Anyways this
was a great 1st post.

targ

Jul 12, 2005, 6:01:58 AM7/12/05

> They call the credit card "backup funding". I just wonder if you didn't
> have the money in your checking account whether they would have
> automatically taken it from your credit card anyway.

Oh yes I know they would. Of course that would be after my bank charges me
fees & possibly decides to close my accounts.

chaz

Jul 12, 2005, 9:29:45 AM7/12/05

> Actually I do think I would win that argument with my bank. I
> *specifically* indicated I wanted to use my CC.

snipped>>>>>>>>>>>

Then try it. I have a buck that says they wont care. You are going to have a
heck of a time proving your case.

Angrie.Woman

Jul 12, 2005, 11:10:50 AM7/12/05

This is the kind of stuff that class action suits are made of. The only
way it wouls be worthwhile is if it affected a large number of people.

I think I remember noticing that PayPal's TOS gives them the right to
charge for bounced e-checks and failed transfers, but they don't yet. If
and when they start, this complaint will likely be seen a lot more often.

ronald

Jul 12, 2005, 11:15:40 AM7/12/05

"chaz" <cha...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Nice the way all you eBay whores miss the point.
The point being that PayPal gets creamed by CC chargebacks when PayP fails
to honour it's buyer protection scam. That is the reason that PP wants
funding by any means other than a credit card. The dumbest thing you can do
when dealing with PayPutz is to fund the account with your bank. You are
signing a blank check. Not too smart.
ron

Angrie.Woman

Jul 12, 2005, 11:33:49 AM7/12/05
Also, they pay more in fees with a CC than a bank transfer.

Lumpy

Jul 12, 2005, 3:43:14 PM7/12/05
Angrie.Woman wrote:

> This is the kind of stuff that class action
> suits are made of. The only way it wouls be
> worthwhile is if it affected a large number of

> people...

And if the potential payoff for the lawyers
was sufficiently exorbirant.

Craig

TyMeDwn1st

Jul 12, 2005, 5:19:26 PM7/12/05

Since I charge *everything* on PayPal to my credit card, I haven't
seen the situation being discussed. I wonder, though: don't you
still have to click the final <confirm> option before the payment is
made? If their system provides a return to the default option if you
add a comment or do any other action, I think you *still* have to
confirm the ultimate selection. If so, then PayPal's defense is that
they're sorry you failed to read what you were actually agreeing to,
but you *did* agree to it.

Message has been deleted