Re: Atheism and Religion

333

Jan 26, 2008, 1:07:05 PM1/26/08
50080125 xi

"Tani JantsangŠ" <tjs...@spampost.com> writes:
>Anyway - what's that from (that LONG thing you posted)? I said something
>very similar to that once about atoms, molecules, cells, organs, bodies.
>Hmm, it was my own thought, too.

they are from Liber Aleph, by Crowley. I enjoyed that more
than all others of his works save his "Book of Thoth".
Joseph's been posting them in sprinklings, and i hadn't
checked for any patterns, precisely. :) I wasn't even sure
they were from Aleph, but i confirmed it here:

http://www.hermetic.com/crowley/aleph/tbwf1.html

333

> [...]
>> regulated and formulated in Simplicity by the Operation of Pure Reason, to
>> thy great Comfort in the Work of our Transcendental Art, whereby the Many
>> become One.
>>

>> 48
>>
>> Au
>> SEQUITUR
>> (2) CLASSICA
>>
>> My son, neglect not in any wise the Study of the Writings of Antiquity,
>> and that in the original Language. For by this thou shalt discover the
>> History of the Structure of thy Mind, that is, its Nature regarded as the
>> last term in a Sequence of Causes and Effects. For thy Mind hath been
>> built up of these Elements, so that in these Books thou mayst bring into
>> the Light thine own subconscious Memories. And thy Memory is as it were
>> the Mortar in the House of thy Mind, without which is no Cohesion or
>> Individuality possible, so that the Lack thereof is called Dementia. And
>> these Books have lived long and become famous because they are the Fruits
>> of ancient Trees whereof thou art directly the Heir, wherefrom (say I)
>> they are more truly german to thine own Nature than Books of Collateral
>> Offshoots, though such were in themselves better and wiser. Yes, o my Son,
>> in these Writings thou mayst study to come to the true Comprehension of
>> thine own Nature, and that of the whole Universe, in the Dimension of
>> Time, even as the Mathematic declareth it in that of Space: That is, of
>> Extension. Moreover, by this Study shall the Child comprehend the
>> Foundation of Manners: the which, as sayeth one of the Sons of Wisdom,
>> maketh Man.
>>

>> 49
>>
>> Af
>> SEQUITUR
>> (3) SCIENTIFICA
>>
>> Since Time and Space are the Conditions of Mind, these two Studies are
>> fundamental. Yet there remaineth Causality, which is the Root of the
>> Actions and Reactions of Nature. This also shalt thou seek ardently, that
>> thou mayst comprehend the Variety of the Universe, its Harmony and its
>> Beauty, with the Knowledge of that which compelleth it. Yet this is not
>> equal to the former two in Power to reveal thee to thy Self; and its first
>> Use is to instruct thee in the true Method of Advancement in Knowledge,
>> which is fundamentally, the Observation of the Like and the Unlike. Also,
>> it shall arouse in thee the Ecstasy of Wonder; and it shall bring thee to
>> a proper Understanding of Art Magick. For our Magick is but one of the
>> powers that lie within us undeveloped and unanalysed; and it is by the
>> Method of Science that it must be made clear, and available to the Use of
>> Man. Is not this a Gift beyond Price, the Fruit of a Tree not only of
>> knowledge by to Life? For there is that in Man which is God, and there is
>> that also which is Dust; and by our Magick we shall make these twain one
>> Flesh, to the Obtaining of the Empery of the Universe.

alt.magick.moderated is a MODERATED newsgroup.
Consult http://www.alt-magick-moderated.org/ where you
may locate the newest Posting Guidelines and Charter
for the newsgroup before your first post. Contact the
Moderation Team at moder...@alt-magick-moderated.org

Joseph Littleshoes

Jan 26, 2008, 3:38:07 PM1/26/08
333 wrote:
> 50080125 xi
>
> "Tani JantsangŠ" <tjs...@spampost.com> writes:
>
>>Anyway - what's that from (that LONG thing you posted)? I said something
>>very similar to that once about atoms, molecules, cells, organs, bodies.
>>Hmm, it was my own thought, too.
>

> they are from Liber Aleph, by Crowley. I enjoyed that more
> than all others of his works save his "Book of Thoth".
> Joseph's been posting them in sprinklings, and i hadn't
> checked for any patterns, precisely. :) I wasn't even sure
> they were from Aleph, but i confirmed it here:
>
> http://www.hermetic.com/crowley/aleph/tbwf1.html
>
> 333

The kernel of wisdom buried in the magnificent prose that strikes me
most forcibly is the idea of letting the child express itself and any
fundamental orientation it may have before a superstructure is imposed
on that child.

Then any superstructure may be tailored to that child's own expression
of itself rather than trying to impose a standard on the child.

Reading between the lines it is possible to construe Crowley's meaning
to suggest that, for what ever reason, some people are born more
animalistic and are more problematical in their socialization.
--
JL

Joseph Littleshoes

Jan 29, 2008, 5:05:21 AM1/29/08
333 wrote:
> 50080125 xi
>
> "Tani JantsangŠ" <tjs...@spampost.com> writes:
>
>>Anyway - what's that from (that LONG thing you posted)? I said something
>>very similar to that once about atoms, molecules, cells, organs, bodies.
>>Hmm, it was my own thought, too.
>

> they are from Liber Aleph, by Crowley. I enjoyed that more
> than all others of his works save his "Book of Thoth".
> Joseph's been posting them in sprinklings, and i hadn't
> checked for any patterns, precisely. :) I wasn't even sure
> they were from Aleph, but i confirmed it here:
>
> http://www.hermetic.com/crowley/aleph/tbwf1.html
>
> 333

The kernel of wisdom buried in the magnificent prose that strikes me

most forcibly is the idea of letting the child express itself and any
fundamental orientation it may have before a superstructure is imposed
on that child.

Then any superstructure may be tailored to that child's own expression
of itself rather than trying to impose a standard on the child.

Reading between the lines it is possible to construe Crowley's meaning
to suggest that, for what ever reason, some people are born more
animalistic and are more problematical in their socialization.
--
JL

..

333

Feb 19, 2008, 12:05:55 PM2/19/08
bobo wrote:
>> they are from Liber Aleph, by Crowley. I enjoyed that more
>> than all others of his works save his "Book of Thoth".
>> Joseph's been posting them in sprinklings, and i hadn't
>> checked for any patterns, precisely. :) I wasn't even sure
>> they were from Aleph, but i confirmed it here:
>> http://www.hermetic.com/crowley/aleph/tbwf1.html

Joseph Littleshoes <jpst...@isp.com>:

>The kernel of wisdom buried in the magnificent prose that strikes me
>most forcibly is the idea of letting the child express itself

and then afterwards disowning or denying the child's authority?
Crowley did this to his "Magical Child" Frater Achad merely,
if stories be believed, because the latter had deigned to
turn the Tree of Life on its head (admirable, i say!).

>and any fundamental orientation it may have before a
>superstructure is imposed on that child.

that's a style of "loose" parenting. one might say that
the "Tough Love" movement runs counter to this theme.

>Then any superstructure may be tailored to that child's
>own expression of itself rather than trying to impose
>a standard on the child.

oh sure, the elder generation is going to refashion
their whole universe around their children? doubtful.

>Reading between the lines it is possible to construe
>Crowley's meaning to suggest that, for what ever
>reason, some people are born more animalistic and
>are more problematical in their socialization.

that temperament varies is certainly true, and one
child seems to fare better from slight discipline
or from harsh standards than another of different
character. the level of harshness brought to bear
upon me in my family served to destroy the integrity
of the whole, dividing it as surely as death. some
children have no tolerance for violence, even as it
may be brought to the service of "a greater good"
(to bring in a theme from the Harry Potter series
which i just finished).

"Joseph Littleshoes" <jpst...@isp.com> quotes Crowley's
"Liber Agape":

note here that the Bonds mentioned only pertain to the condition of
the child, possibly the parents, but nothing about their relation.

this sets the stage of a "liberation" of the child through the
artifice of repudiation. we might wonder whether the parent,
and in this case the father, sought to repudiate the (magical)
son on account of his fear of being eclipsed by him. why
otherwise bother to make such a fuss? fear of being
disappointed? upstaged? the biographers can speculate.

no children here, just struggling men.

here's the training integral to the indoctrination so mentioned.

again, the focus here is *freedom*, not security. your focus is good
in selecting this text, and yet we are not given any illustration of
the sensitive child, the one who needs not the rough discipline of
the harsh parent, by whose severe training such a Will emerges.

like Crowley's failure to appreciate the ovum, so his appreciation
of the "laws" of biology seem imprecise and ineffective. here he
lays emphasis on structuralization, when in fact a host of other
factors also contribute to development, most importantly DNA and
its integral facets of potentia. Crowley's Homunculus was his
blindspot, and link with an old-age, misogynist, gnostic delusion.

here is the supreme arrogance: conceiving that "the World" would need
such an ordering, that it is not in fact already so ordered, that it
needs some kind of human input to "perfect". this is a post-religious
bias which Crowley never relinquished. his training left him a cynic,
seeing the world as in need of management, reordering, and revision.

"the greater good" always justifies the efforts to achieve it.

does Crowley ever write about security, about the virtue of community,
of the convention borne aloft by countless generations? or is his a
soliloquy of becoming liberated, wrenching free of That from which
he could never emerge unconstrained?

as a jumble of contending forces does this Crowley portray the cosmos.
how they shall resolve is always ambiguous in his writ, from Liber OZ
with its "kill them" solution to volitional intervention to this text
and its conglomerate of vying irreconcilables.

exemplary of one subsumed to the remedial quality of nationalism.

and, ultimately, fascism, which Crowley supported and admired.

a top-down direction. we the parental shall indoctrinate you in the
3 and 90 rules of the art before you may shine your "Will" for us.

this and a good bit of the balance is sound principle.

bobo

Joseph Littleshoes

Feb 20, 2008, 2:54:39 PM2/20/08
333 wrote:
h/tbwf1.html

> and, ultimately, fascism, which Crowley supported and admired.

Dieu et Mon Droit :)
--
JL
.

alectrum

Feb 20, 2008, 11:50:50 PM2/20/08
On 19 Feb, 18:05, 333 <luckymojo.com@nagasiva> wrote:
> bobo wrote:
> >> they are from Liber Aleph, by Crowley. I enjoyed that more
> >> than all others of his works save his "Book of Thoth".
> >> Joseph's been posting them in sprinklings, and i hadn't
> >> checked for any patterns, precisely. :) I wasn't even sure
> >> they were from Aleph, but i confirmed it here:
> >>http://www.hermetic.com/crowley/aleph/tbwf1.html
>
> Joseph Littleshoes <jpsti...@isp.com>:

> >The kernel of wisdom buried in the magnificent prose that strikes me
> >most forcibly is the idea of letting the child express itself
>
> and then afterwards disowning or denying the child's authority?
> Crowley did this to his "Magical Child" Frater Achad merely,
> if stories be believed, because the latter had deigned to
> turn the Tree of Life on its head (admirable, i say!).

Some people have parents in name only. Their parents are so far from
benevolent given that they are struggling to emerge from the chaos
within and without themselves that they are seem more like stereotypes
to a child who can still see the merits of other humans and wish they
were their parents - and I speak of both maternal and paternal parents
here.

I think Crowleys parents were .... shall we just say - not the best
material? And the man - however brillient and inspired struggled
throughout his life to understand and adopt the sort of parentage
attitiude to others that he would have wished for himself. He was not
a particularly old man when he adopted Frater Achad, and I think he
did what he sensed his parents had did to him - and that is to abandon
them in the hope that it would make them stronger. Perhaps that was
the best and only thing that his parents could give him - and he
arrived at his indominateable and sometimes scarey behaviour towards
his friends and fraters because he had to survive on his own - this
strange unworldy poetic figure of a man...

However - The above does not mean that there is nothing of worth in
Crowleys Picture of the child expressing itself - only that his
interpretation was skwed and somewhat more unkind that is necessary.
We do have to remember that Victorian England promoted and praised
this attitude amongst presbiterian parents and whilst Crowley battled
against his inner demons he was also ruled by them too. An awareness
of ones inclinations can not always lead to their transformation
without outside help, and I do not think Crowley .... could ever
submit himself to the will of another even if it was an entirely
benevolent will that only sought to teach him what any parent would
teach them - and it's ironic that it's probably only by accepting this
that he could progress in the great work to the level he aspired to.
Without it he paid the price of egomania, and was not fit for anything
more than to be reborn.