Mac drive letters?

Commander Kinsey

Feb 20, 2022, 8:55:56 AM2/20/22
I mainly use PCs and thought, how do Mac users manage without drive letters? How do you enter a path for example? How can a program refer to a file if there's no letter?

nospam

Feb 20, 2022, 9:15:22 AM2/20/22
In article <op.1hv6b...@ryzen.lan>, Commander Kinsey
<C...@nospam.com> wrote:

> I mainly use PCs and thought, how do Mac users manage without drive letters?

quite well. not having drive letters is a huge advantage.

> How do you enter a path for example? How can a program refer to a file if
> there's no letter?

name-of-disk/path/to/file

it can also be a partial path, which is relative to a known location,
such as the user's documents folder.

there are other ways to locate a file, including if it moves.

unix, on which mac os is based and predates dos/windows, does not use
drive letters.

classic mac os, which was not based on unix did not have drive letters
and did not rely on path names (although they could be used).

Chris

Feb 20, 2022, 10:21:48 AM2/20/22
Commander Kinsey <C...@nospam.com> wrote:
> I mainly use PCs and thought, how do Mac users manage without drive letters?

Easily.

> How do you enter a path for example? How can a program refer to a file
> if there's no letter?

It's a UNIX system so all paths are relative to root '/'. Once you get used
to a unified system, drive letters make no sense.

Snit

Feb 20, 2022, 1:42:46 PM2/20/22
On Feb 20, 2022 at 6:55:54 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
<op.1hv6b...@ryzen.lan>:

> I mainly use PCs and thought, how do Mac users manage without drive letters?
> How do you enter a path for example? How can a program refer to a file if
> there's no letter?

It refers to it by name, and if needed the name of the drive.

Just got the path to a file on an external drive. This is what it looks like
(I did change the names for ease of reading):

file:///Volumes/External/Bearizona/IMG_1234.jpg

One cool thing about macOS is how flexible it is with this -- you can have a
link to a file (or app) and then change the name of the file and move it and
the link still works. You can even do this with the file open (in most cases).

Why should users have to remember a bunch of drive letters?

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Snit

Feb 20, 2022, 2:00:57 PM2/20/22
Add to that on macOS you can move and rename files even when they are open.

nospam

Feb 20, 2022, 2:07:17 PM2/20/22
In article <HdwQJ.23926$jxu4...@fx02.iad>, Snit
<brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> How do you enter a path for example? How can a program refer to a file
> >> if there's no letter?
> >
> > It's a UNIX system so all paths are relative to root '/'. Once you get used
> > to a unified system, drive letters make no sense.
>
> Add to that on macOS you can move and rename files even when they are open.

and most apps automatically update with the new name & path.

Snit

Feb 20, 2022, 2:10:17 PM2/20/22
On Feb 20, 2022 at 12:07:18 PM MST, "nospam" wrote
<200220221407189168%nos...@nospam.invalid>:
Correct. Recent files show it, etc.

nospam

Feb 20, 2022, 2:34:33 PM2/20/22
In article <smwQJ.56886$f2a5....@fx48.iad>, Snit
<brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Add to that on macOS you can move and rename files even when they are open.
> >
> > and most apps automatically update with the new name & path.
>
> Correct. Recent files show it, etc.

true, but i was thinking of the window title bar.

Snit

Feb 20, 2022, 2:40:16 PM2/20/22
Fair enough. I like the newer style where you can even change name and
location (and more) from there.

Commander Kinsey

Feb 20, 2022, 5:08:11 PM2/20/22
On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 18:42:45 -0000, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2022 at 6:55:54 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
> <op.1hv6b...@ryzen.lan>:
>
>> I mainly use PCs and thought, how do Mac users manage without drive letters?
>> How do you enter a path for example? How can a program refer to a file if
>> there's no letter?
>
> It refers to it by name, and if needed the name of the drive.
>
> Just got the path to a file on an external drive. This is what it looks like
> (I did change the names for ease of reading):
>
> file:///Volumes/External/Bearizona/IMG_1234.jpg

Could you open up your firewall so I can access that image, which is on your own computer.

Oh.... I thought you were sending a screenshot and forgot to upload first!

So that's not clear where on earth that is. c:\music\metallica\ride the lightning.mp3 is much better. The drive is the letter, the last one is the file, inbetween ones are folders. Why do you have file: at the start? WTF is the triple slash for? Is the drive called Volumes or External? Far more complicated if you want to refer to that file. A program you've installed wanting to refer to something in its data folder for example.

> One cool thing about macOS is how flexible it is with this -- you can have a
> link to a file (or app) and then change the name of the file and move it and
> the link still works. You can even do this with the file open (in most cases).
>
> Why should users have to remember a bunch of drive letters?

They don't. Everybody knows it's A: for floppy (not used now), C: for hard disk. If you add another floppy it's B:, if you add a CDROM or another hard drive it's D: etc. Or you cna get fancy and call a folder or partition a drive letter.

nospam

Feb 20, 2022, 5:24:10 PM2/20/22
In article <op.1hws3...@ryzen.lan>, Commander Kinsey
<C...@nospam.com> wrote:

> > Just got the path to a file on an external drive. This is what it looks like
> > (I did change the names for ease of reading):
> >
> > file:///Volumes/External/Bearizona/IMG_1234.jpg
>
> Could you open up your firewall so I can access that image, which is on your
> own computer.
>
> Oh.... I thought you were sending a screenshot and forgot to upload first!
>
> So that's not clear where on earth that is.

it's exactly clear where it is.

> c:\music\metallica\ride the
> lightning.mp3 is much better. The drive is the letter, the last one is the
> file, inbetween ones are folders.

which is basically the same as above, with the advantage of referencing
it by drive name instead of an abstract letter which is not always the
same.

> Why do you have file: at the start? WTF
> is the triple slash for?

go learn about file: urls.

it's also not needed.

> Is the drive called Volumes or External?

/volumes is where external drives are normally mounted. the drive can
have any name. in the above example, the name is external (which he
said he changed).

drives can also be mounted elsewhere, in which case it would be
/some/other/path/to/file.

> Far more
> complicated if you want to refer to that file. A program you've installed
> wanting to refer to something in its data folder for example.

an app wanting to refer something in its data folder would normally use
relative paths.

> > Why should users have to remember a bunch of drive letters?
>
> They don't. Everybody knows it's A: for floppy (not used now), C: for hard
> disk. If you add another floppy it's B:, if you add a CDROM or another hard
> drive it's D: etc. Or you cna get fancy and call a folder or partition a drive letter.

that does not scale well, plus driver letters are not always the same
across different pcs.

Commander Kinsey

Feb 20, 2022, 5:33:59 PM2/20/22
On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 19:00:55 -0000, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2022 at 8:21:46 AM MST, "Chris" wrote <sutmaa$e75$1...@dont-email.me>:
>
>> Commander Kinsey <C...@nospam.com> wrote:
>>> I mainly use PCs and thought, how do Mac users manage without drive letters?
>>
>> Easily.
>>
>>> How do you enter a path for example? How can a program refer to a file
>>> if there's no letter?
>>
>> It's a UNIX system so all paths are relative to root '/'. Once you get used
>> to a unified system, drive letters make no sense.
>
> Add to that on macOS you can move and rename files even when they are open.

All paths relative to root? How fucking stupid. If it's on another drive it should start differently. You know, like differentiating between your kitchen and mine. You start with what house it's in.

nospam

Feb 20, 2022, 5:47:22 PM2/20/22
In article <op.1hwua...@ryzen.lan>, Commander Kinsey
<C...@nospam.com> wrote:

> >> It's a UNIX system so all paths are relative to root '/'. Once you get used
> >> to a unified system, drive letters make no sense.
> >
> > Add to that on macOS you can move and rename files even when they are open.
>
> All paths relative to root? How fucking stupid.

welcome to unix.

classic mac os didn't have that limitation, which was lost when macs
moved to mac os x and its unix core.

> If it's on another drive it
> should start differently.

it does.

for two drives named red and blue, it would be /volumes/red and
/volumes/blue. the only thing that's common is /volumes, which is
usually where they're mounted. they can be mounted anywhere in the file
system, which is both good and bad.

Snit

Feb 20, 2022, 6:15:17 PM2/20/22
On Feb 20, 2022 at 3:47:21 PM MST, "nospam" wrote
<200220221747211474%nos...@nospam.invalid>:

>>> Add to that on macOS you can move and rename files even when they are open.
>>
>> All paths relative to root? How fucking stupid.
>
> welcome to unix.
>
> classic mac os didn't have that limitation, which was lost when macs
> moved to mac os x and its unix core.

But you can "fake it" in AppleScript and I assume other languages. Well, you
can in Unix, too.

>> If it's on another drive it
>> should start differently.
>
> it does.
>
> for two drives named red and blue, it would be /volumes/red and
> /volumes/blue. the only thing that's common is /volumes, which is
> usually where they're mounted. they can be mounted anywhere in the file
> system, which is both good and bad.

Snit

Feb 20, 2022, 6:16:12 PM2/20/22
On Feb 20, 2022 at 3:33:56 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
<op.1hwua...@ryzen.lan>:

> On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 19:00:55 -0000, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Easily.

>>> It's a UNIX system so all paths are relative to root '/'. Once you get used
>>> to a unified system, drive letters make no sense.
>>
>> Add to that on macOS you can move and rename files even when they are open.
>
> All paths relative to root?

Absolute paths are. You can also have relative paths.

> How fucking stupid. If it's on another drive it should start differently. You
> know, like differentiating between your kitchen and mine. You start with what
> house it's in.

If things are in my user folder the reference is just ~/whatever

Snit

Feb 20, 2022, 6:22:47 PM2/20/22
On Feb 20, 2022 at 3:08:08 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
<op.1hws3...@ryzen.lan>:

> On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 18:42:45 -0000, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 20, 2022 at 6:55:54 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
>> <op.1hv6b...@ryzen.lan>:
>>
>>> I mainly use PCs and thought, how do Mac users manage without drive letters?
>>> How do you enter a path for example? How can a program refer to a file if
>>> there's no letter?
>>
>> It refers to it by name, and if needed the name of the drive.
>>
>> Just got the path to a file on an external drive. This is what it looks like
>> (I did change the names for ease of reading):
>>
>> file:///Volumes/External/Bearizona/IMG_1234.jpg
>
> Could you open up your firewall so I can access that image, which is on your
> own computer.

You would need my IP. It was just an example, as a path with your C drive
would be.

> Oh.... I thought you were sending a screenshot and forgot to upload first!

:)

> So that's not clear where on earth that is. c:\music\metallica\ride the
> lightning.mp3 is much better.

How so?

> The drive is the letter, the last one is the file, inbetween ones are folders.

Pretty much the same but the first is noting it is in Volumes.

> Why do you have file: at the start?

It is a part of the URI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Resource_Identifier

> WTF is the triple slash for?

Part of the URI.

> Is the drive called Volumes or External?

The drive is "External".

> Far more complicated if you want to refer to that file. A program you've
> installed wanting to refer to something in its data folder for example.
>
>> One cool thing about macOS is how flexible it is with this -- you can have a
>> link to a file (or app) and then change the name of the file and move it and
>> the link still works. You can even do this with the file open (in most cases).
>>
>> Why should users have to remember a bunch of drive letters?
>
> They don't. Everybody knows it's A: for floppy (not used now), C: for hard
> disk. If you add another floppy it's B:, if you add a CDROM or another hard
> drive it's D: etc. Or you cna get fancy and call a folder or partition a drive
> letter.

You have remembered them. So have I. But why do we need to just to use a
computer?

Commander Kinsey

Feb 20, 2022, 9:46:50 PM2/20/22
On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 23:22:46 -0000, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2022 at 3:08:08 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
> <op.1hws3...@ryzen.lan>:
>
>> On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 18:42:45 -0000, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> It refers to it by name, and if needed the name of the drive.
>>>
>>> Just got the path to a file on an external drive. This is what it looks like
>>> (I did change the names for ease of reading):
>>>
>>> file:///Volumes/External/Bearizona/IMG_1234.jpg
>>
>> Could you open up your firewall so I can access that image, which is on your
>> own computer.
>
> You would need my IP. It was just an example, as a path with your C drive
> would be.

I know your IP.

>> Oh.... I thought you were sending a screenshot and forgot to upload first!
>
> :)

Opera newsreader displayed it as a link. Perhaps the notation which looks very much like a URL confused it.

>> So that's not clear where on earth that is. c:\music\metallica\ride the
>> lightning.mp3 is much better.
>
> How so?

See the very next line.

>> The drive is the letter, the last one is the file, inbetween ones are folders.
>
> Pretty much the same but the first is noting it is in Volumes.
>
>> Why do you have file: at the start?
>
> It is a part of the URI.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Resource_Identifier
>
>> WTF is the triple slash for?
>
> Part of the URI.

No idea what a URI is. It seems absurd to use three slashes. And why are they facing the wrong way? I use forward slashes for switches. Eg. programname /help

>> Is the drive called Volumes or External?
>
> The drive is "External".

So WTF is volumes for? Look, I write D: and you write file:///volumes/external. Which is shorter?

>> Far more complicated if you want to refer to that file. A program you've
>> installed wanting to refer to something in its data folder for example.
>>
>>> One cool thing about macOS is how flexible it is with this -- you can have a
>>> link to a file (or app) and then change the name of the file and move it and
>>> the link still works. You can even do this with the file open (in most cases).
>>>
>>> Why should users have to remember a bunch of drive letters?
>>
>> They don't. Everybody knows it's A: for floppy (not used now), C: for hard
>> disk. If you add another floppy it's B:, if you add a CDROM or another hard
>> drive it's D: etc. Or you cna get fancy and call a folder or partition a drive
>> letter.
>
> You have remembered them. So have I. But why do we need to just to use a
> computer?

It doesn't take any effort, and is easier than remembering all that file:///volume shit. It's no different to remembering that 1 in your speed dial is your granddaughter and 2 is the president (see Stargate).

Snit

Feb 20, 2022, 9:52:42 PM2/20/22
On Feb 20, 2022 at 7:46:47 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
<op.1hw5z...@ryzen.lan>:

> On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 23:22:46 -0000, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 20, 2022 at 3:08:08 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
>> <op.1hws3...@ryzen.lan>:

>>> Could you open up your firewall so I can access that image, which is on your
>>> own computer.
>>
>> You would need my IP. It was just an example, as a path with your C drive
>> would be.
>
> I know your IP.

Fair enough.

>>> Oh.... I thought you were sending a screenshot and forgot to upload first!
>>
>> :)
>
> Opera newsreader displayed it as a link. Perhaps the notation which looks very
> much like a URL confused it.

Likely.

>>> So that's not clear where on earth that is. c:\music\metallica\ride the
>>> lightning.mp3 is much better.
>>
>> How so?
>
> See the very next line.

As noted, it is pretty much the same -- but the human is not asked to figure
out letters instead of names.

>>> The drive is the letter, the last one is the file, inbetween ones are folders.
>>
>> Pretty much the same but the first is noting it is in Volumes.
>>
>>> Why do you have file: at the start?
>>
>> It is a part of the URI.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Resource_Identifier
>>
>>> WTF is the triple slash for?
>>
>> Part of the URI.
>
> No idea what a URI is.

See the link, above. Posted with a URI. :)

> It seems absurd to use three slashes. And why are they facing the wrong way?
> I use forward slashes for switches. Eg. programname /help

I did not make the standard... but it is used on macOS, Windows, and Linux.
And more.

>>> Is the drive called Volumes or External?
>>
>> The drive is "External".
>
> So WTF is volumes for?

This might seem too obvious, but for volumes.

> Look, I write D: and you write file:///volumes/external. Which is shorter?

Shorter is not always better... and, really, I cannot think of when I have had
the need to write that out. I am sure I have at some point... but when?

>>> Far more complicated if you want to refer to that file. A program you've
>>> installed wanting to refer to something in its data folder for example.

>>> They don't. Everybody knows it's A: for floppy (not used now), C: for hard
>>> disk. If you add another floppy it's B:, if you add a CDROM or another hard
>>> drive it's D: etc. Or you cna get fancy and call a folder or partition a drive
>>> letter.
>>
>> You have remembered them. So have I. But why do we need to just to use a
>> computer?
>
> It doesn't take any effort, and is easier than remembering all that
> file:///volume shit. It's no different to remembering that 1 in your speed
> dial is your granddaughter and 2 is the president (see Stargate).

:)

Commander Kinsey

Feb 20, 2022, 9:59:30 PM2/20/22
On Mon, 21 Feb 2022 02:52:40 -0000, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2022 at 7:46:47 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
> <op.1hw5z...@ryzen.lan>:
>
>> On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 23:22:46 -0000, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> You would need my IP. It was just an example, as a path with your C drive
>>> would be.
>>
>> I know your IP.
>
> Fair enough.

But can you work out where you let it slip? Hint: it wasn't in here.

>>> :)
>>
>> Opera newsreader displayed it as a link. Perhaps the notation which looks very
>> much like a URL confused it.
>
> Likely.

I wonder why they ended up so similar?

>>> How so?
>>
>> See the very next line.
>
> As noted, it is pretty much the same -- but the human is not asked to figure
> out letters instead of names.

Letters are quicker. Why do you think humans use anagrams?

>>> Pretty much the same but the first is noting it is in Volumes.

>>> It is a part of the URI.
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Resource_Identifier

>>> Part of the URI.
>>
>> No idea what a URI is.
>
> See the link, above. Posted with a URI. :)

No doubt some made up shit by Jobs.

>> It seems absurd to use three slashes. And why are they facing the wrong way?
>> I use forward slashes for switches. Eg. programname /help
>
> I did not make the standard... but it is used on macOS, Windows, and Linux.
> And more.

Windows does not use it for that purpose. It uses the backslash.

>>> The drive is "External".
>>
>> So WTF is volumes for?
>
> This might seem too obvious, but for volumes.

What else would you be referencing?

>> Look, I write D: and you write file:///volumes/external. Which is shorter?
>
> Shorter is not always better... and, really, I cannot think of when I have had
> the need to write that out. I am sure I have at some point... but when?

When you have letters, it's quicker than using the GUI. And think of programmers, or someone writing a script (as you do).

Snit

Feb 20, 2022, 10:10:35 PM2/20/22
On Feb 20, 2022 at 7:59:25 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
<op.1hw6l...@ryzen.lan>:

> On Mon, 21 Feb 2022 02:52:40 -0000, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 20, 2022 at 7:46:47 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
>> <op.1hw5z...@ryzen.lan>:

>>> I know your IP.
>>
>> Fair enough.
>
> But can you work out where you let it slip? Hint: it wasn't in here.

I am well aware.

>>> Opera newsreader displayed it as a link. Perhaps the notation which looks very
>>> much like a URL confused it.
>>
>> Likely.
>
> I wonder why they ended up so similar?

I believe a URL is a subset of URIs. I could be wrong on that.

>>> See the very next line.
>>
>> As noted, it is pretty much the same -- but the human is not asked to figure
>> out letters instead of names.
>
> Letters are quicker. Why do you think humans use anagrams?

Quicker to write... but having to remember computer letters to represent
drives is not as direct as names. Why do you give your files names? You could
have used c:\x\m\r.mp3

You did not. Much faster... but harder to use.

>>> No idea what a URI is.
>>
>> See the link, above. Posted with a URI. :)
>
> No doubt some made up shit by Jobs.

Nope.

>>> It seems absurd to use three slashes. And why are they facing the wrong way?
>>> I use forward slashes for switches. Eg. programname /help
>>
>> I did not make the standard... but it is used on macOS, Windows, and Linux.
>> And more.
>
> Windows does not use it for that purpose. It uses the backslash.

It also uses URIs.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/uwp/api/windows.foundation.uri?view=winrt-22000

>>> So WTF is volumes for?
>>
>> This might seem too obvious, but for volumes.
>
> What else would you be referencing?

Maybe my home folder. Or the current folder. Or other folders.

>>> Look, I write D: and you write file:///volumes/external. Which is shorter?
>>
>> Shorter is not always better... and, really, I cannot think of when I have had
>> the need to write that out. I am sure I have at some point... but when?
>
> When you have letters, it's quicker than using the GUI. And think of
> programmers, or someone writing a script (as you do).

You did not use c:\x\m\r.mp3

>>> It doesn't take any effort, and is easier than remembering all that
>>> file:///volume shit. It's no different to remembering that 1 in your speed
>>> dial is your granddaughter and 2 is the president (see Stargate).
>>
>> :)

Commander Kinsey

Feb 20, 2022, 10:15:56 PM2/20/22
Then you ought to correct it before Diesel finds it.

>>> Likely.
>>
>> I wonder why they ended up so similar?
>
> I believe a URL is a subset of URIs. I could be wrong on that.

The whole internet is based on Macs!?

>>> As noted, it is pretty much the same -- but the human is not asked to figure
>>> out letters instead of names.
>>
>> Letters are quicker. Why do you think humans use anagrams?
>
> Quicker to write... but having to remember computer letters to represent
> drives is not as direct as names. Why do you give your files names? You could
> have used c:\x\m\r.mp3
> You did not. Much faster... but harder to use.

There are many files and folders. I only have two letters on this machine, and a third if I plug in a USB stick or backup disk. C: is the SSD, E: is the hard disk.

>>> See the link, above. Posted with a URI. :)
>>
>> No doubt some made up shit by Jobs.
>
> Nope.

Then he stole it from Linux. At least MS designed theirs from scratch.

>>> I did not make the standard... but it is used on macOS, Windows, and Linux.
>>> And more.
>>
>> Windows does not use it for that purpose. It uses the backslash.
>
> It also uses URIs.
>
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/uwp/api/windows.foundation.uri?view=winrt-22000

Only for aliasing certain system folders which could be placed anywhere depending on user preference.

>>> This might seem too obvious, but for volumes.
>>
>> What else would you be referencing?
>
> Maybe my home folder. Or the current folder. Or other folders.

c:\documents

>>> Shorter is not always better... and, really, I cannot think of when I have had
>>> the need to write that out. I am sure I have at some point... but when?
>>
>> When you have letters, it's quicker than using the GUI. And think of
>> programmers, or someone writing a script (as you do).
>
> You did not use c:\x\m\r.mp3

Not enough letters to do that for everything. But nobody has more than 26 drives. Although DOS and Windows Server allows AA, BB, etc.

Bob Campbell

Feb 20, 2022, 11:35:39 PM2/20/22
Commander Kinsey <C...@nospam.com> wrote:

> The whole internet is based on Macs!?

Spoken like a truly clueless newbie. The internet is based on Unix/Linux.
Not Macs and certainly not Windows.

> Then he stole it from Linux. At least MS designed theirs from scratch.

Spoken like a truly clueless newbie. Nothing was “stolen from Linux”.
MacOS is based on Unix, which predates Linux by decades.

Also, MS designed NOTHING here. DOS was purchased from Seattle Computer
Products, not written in-house at MS. The SCP product 86-DOS was designed
to be CP/M compatible. Drive letters came directly from CP/M.

> Not enough letters to do that for everything. But nobody has more than
> 26 drives. Although DOS and Windows Server allows AA, BB, etc.

Spoken like a truly clueless newbie. Certainly no one using Windows has
that many drives. Unix and Linux run on mainframes. Do you think
mainframes are limited to 24 drives?

The real question is, how does Windows get along with the 42 year old
concept of drive letters and the totally arbitrary limit of 24 drives?

Commander Kinsey

Feb 21, 2022, 12:23:36 AM2/21/22
On Mon, 21 Feb 2022 04:35:34 -0000, Bob Campbell <no...@none.none> wrote:

> Commander Kinsey <C...@nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>> The whole internet is based on Macs!?
>
> Spoken like a truly clueless newbie. The internet is based on Unix/Linux.
> Not Macs and certainly not Windows.

Whoosh!

>> Then he stole it from Linux. At least MS designed theirs from scratch.
>
> Spoken like a truly clueless newbie. Nothing was “stolen from Linux”.
> MacOS is based on Unix, which predates Linux by decades.

Pedant.

> Also, MS designed NOTHING here. DOS was purchased from Seattle Computer
> Products, not written in-house at MS. The SCP product 86-DOS was designed
> to be CP/M compatible. Drive letters came directly from CP/M.

DOS was designed by Gates in a garage, this is common knowledge.

>> Not enough letters to do that for everything. But nobody has more than
>> 26 drives. Although DOS and Windows Server allows AA, BB, etc.
>
> Spoken like a truly clueless newbie. Certainly no one using Windows has
> that many drives. Unix and Linux run on mainframes. Do you think
> mainframes are limited to 24 drives?

Are you lacking the ability to understand English. I rephrase for the dumb:
"Not enough letters to do that for everything" was in reply to Snit which you stupidly snipped. He'd referred to letters for folders and files.
I never suggested Windows desktop has that many drives. But servers do. Servers can run Windows, we don't have to put geeky stuff on there.

> The real question is, how does Windows get along with the 42 year old
> concept of drive letters

Because it simplifies things. Do you write "the laboratory for reinforcement, concrete and ferroconcrete operations, for composite-monolithic and monolithic constructions, of the Department of the Technology of Building-assembly operations, of the Scientific Research Institute of the Organization for mechanization and technical aid" or NIIOMTPLABOPARMBETZHELBETRABSBOMONIMONKONOTDTEKHSTROMONT?

> and the totally arbitrary limit of 24 drives?

Because, as said by... oh it was you! "Certainly no one using Windows has that many drives"

nospam

Feb 21, 2022, 12:39:51 AM2/21/22
In article <op.1hxc9...@ryzen.lan>, Commander Kinsey
<C...@nospam.com> wrote:

> > Also, MS designed NOTHING here. DOS was purchased from Seattle Computer
> > Products, not written in-house at MS. The SCP product 86-DOS was designed
> > to be CP/M compatible. Drive letters came directly from CP/M.
>
> DOS was designed by Gates in a garage, this is common knowledge.

nope. he bought it.

nospam

Feb 21, 2022, 12:39:52 AM2/21/22
In article <op.1hw7c...@ryzen.lan>, Commander Kinsey
<C...@nospam.com> wrote:

> >> No doubt some made up shit by Jobs.
> >
> > Nope.
>
> Then he stole it from Linux.

nope. linux didn't exist when the original mac was designed, and jobs
had nothing to do with that level of the os anyway.

> At least MS designed theirs from scratch.

so did apple.

classic mac os did not use drive letters nor did it use file: urls,
which also did not exist at that time. classic mac os also didn't use
path names, except in very specific circumstances. because of that,
files could (and often did) move without any problems, even when open.

Snit

Feb 21, 2022, 1:32:56 AM2/21/22
On Feb 20, 2022 at 10:39:49 PM MST, "nospam" wrote
<210220220039495606%nos...@nospam.invalid>:

>>> Nope.
>>
>> Then he stole it from Linux.
>
> nope. linux didn't exist when the original mac was designed, and jobs
> had nothing to do with that level of the os anyway.

I would not say "nothing" -- but not his focus.

>> At least MS designed theirs from scratch.
>
> so did apple.

With Classic Mac, yes. With macOS they got it from NeXT -- though that was
with Jobs as well. But that came from different Unix backgrounds.

But so what? The Windows UI largely came from Apple.

> classic mac os did not use drive letters nor did it use file: urls,
> which also did not exist at that time. classic mac os also didn't use
> path names, except in very specific circumstances. because of that,
> files could (and often did) move without any problems, even when open.

Snit

Feb 21, 2022, 1:33:52 AM2/21/22
On Feb 20, 2022 at 10:23:32 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
<op.1hxc9...@ryzen.lan>:

>> Also, MS designed NOTHING here. DOS was purchased from Seattle Computer
>> Products, not written in-house at MS. The SCP product 86-DOS was designed
>> to be CP/M compatible. Drive letters came directly from CP/M.
>
> DOS was designed by Gates in a garage, this is common knowledge.

Common knowledge or not, it is not accurate.

Snit

Feb 21, 2022, 1:40:32 AM2/21/22
On Feb 20, 2022 at 8:15:50 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
<op.1hw7c...@ryzen.lan>:
Hmmm, then maybe I am not aware.

But, really, even if Gremlin/LegionX finds it I am not that concerned. I am
not as impressed with his abilities as others seem to be. All I see is talk
from him. Well, when I look.

>>> I wonder why they ended up so similar?
>>
>> I believe a URL is a subset of URIs. I could be wrong on that.
>
> The whole internet is based on Macs!?

Huh? The URI scheme existed before OS X / macOS.

>>> Letters are quicker. Why do you think humans use anagrams?
>>
>> Quicker to write... but having to remember computer letters to represent
>> drives is not as direct as names. Why do you give your files names? You could
>> have used c:\x\m\r.mp3
>> You did not. Much faster... but harder to use.
>
> There are many files and folders. I only have two letters on this machine, and
> a third if I plug in a USB stick or backup disk. C: is the SSD, E: is the hard
> disk.

And how many disks do you have? I like knowing what they are by name... as you
do with files. Heck, I have three external USB drives... if I plug then in
differently should I have to figure out what letter they NOW have?

>>> No doubt some made up shit by Jobs.
>>
>> Nope.
>
> Then he stole it from Linux. At least MS designed theirs from scratch.

URI's were defined, I think, by the Internet Engineering Task Force.

>>> Windows does not use it for that purpose. It uses the backslash.
>>
>> It also uses URIs.
>>
>> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/uwp/api/windows.foundation.uri?view=winrt-22000
>
> Only for aliasing certain system folders which could be placed anywhere
> depending on user preference.

Still uses them.

>>> What else would you be referencing?
>>
>> Maybe my home folder. Or the current folder. Or other folders.
>
> c:\documents

\documents. Takes me to the root folder and then documents. If I want to
specify a different volume I will call it out by name. Like you do with files.
And that name will be the same no matter what Mac I connect it to.

>>> When you have letters, it's quicker than using the GUI. And think of
>>> programmers, or someone writing a script (as you do).
>>
>> You did not use c:\x\m\r.mp3
>
> Not enough letters to do that for everything. But nobody has more than 26
> drives. Although DOS and Windows Server allows AA, BB, etc.

USB allows for, what... 127 devices? Something like that. But the point was
you used names for everything else... so why not the drive?

nospam

Feb 21, 2022, 1:46:36 AM2/21/22
In article <qmGQJ.72099$Wdl5....@fx44.iad>, Snit
<brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Then he stole it from Linux.
> >
> > nope. linux didn't exist when the original mac was designed, and jobs
> > had nothing to do with that level of the os anyway.
>
> I would not say "nothing" -- but not his focus.

he had nothing to do with the design of the mfs or hfs filesystems.

> >> At least MS designed theirs from scratch.
> >
> > so did apple.
>
> With Classic Mac, yes. With macOS they got it from NeXT -- though that was
> with Jobs as well. But that came from different Unix backgrounds.

nextstep, being based on unix, inherited unix paths, which wasn't
anything jobs designed and was also a huge step backwards from classic
mac os.

> But so what? The Windows UI largely came from Apple.

yep, with minor changes just to be different. the icons on the left
instead of the right, for example.

nospam

Feb 21, 2022, 1:46:37 AM2/21/22
In article <wtGQJ.25293$R1C9....@fx22.iad>, Snit
<brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Not enough letters to do that for everything. But nobody has more than 26
> > drives. Although DOS and Windows Server allows AA, BB, etc.
>
> USB allows for, what... 127 devices? Something like that. But the point was
> you used names for everything else... so why not the drive?

usb isn't the limiting factor. there are also thunderbolt drives,
network shares and disk images (and firewire for older macs).

Snit

Feb 21, 2022, 1:48:48 AM2/21/22
On Feb 20, 2022 at 11:46:35 PM MST, "nospam" wrote
<210220220146355934%nos...@nospam.invalid>:
Absolutely... and of course you can have more than one USB channel.

Commander Kinsey

Feb 21, 2022, 2:51:02 AM2/21/22
On Mon, 21 Feb 2022 06:33:49 -0000, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2022 at 10:23:32 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
> <op.1hxc9...@ryzen.lan>:
>

>>> Also, MS designed NOTHING here. DOS was purchased from Seattle Computer
>>> Products, not written in-house at MS. The SCP product 86-DOS was designed
>>> to be CP/M compatible. Drive letters came directly from CP/M.
>>
>> DOS was designed by Gates in a garage, this is common knowledge.
>
> Common knowledge or not, it is not accurate.

Yeah ok, and the earth is flat.

Kelly Phillips

Feb 21, 2022, 3:17:35 AM2/21/22
On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 22:35:34 -0600, Bob Campbell <no...@none.none> wrote:

>The real question is, how does Windows get along with the 42 year old
>concept of drive letters and the totally arbitrary limit of 24 drives?

One of my PCs has 16 drives and uses 2 drive letters. Another system has
7 drives and uses 3 drive letters. Drive pooling is one way to do it. I
use Drive Bender. www.drivebender.com

Wolffan

Feb 21, 2022, 10:01:19 AM2/21/22
On 2022 Feb 21, Commander Kinsey wrote
(in article <op.1hxc9...@ryzen.lan>):

> DOS was designed by Gates in a garage, this is common knowledge.

No. He literally emptied out MS’s bank account ($75,000) and bought
complete rights to an OS, and then turned around and sold limited rights to
that OS to IBM for 10 times as much; that was PC-DOS. MS-DOS was the version
of that OS after MS tinkered with it in-house. I’m not sure, but I think
that at the time MS had 15 employees total. It wasn’t in a garage, but it
was close to that. MS later hired the guy who’d created the OS and sold it
to them, and out him to work improving it.

see https://www.skrause.org/computers/dos_history.shtml and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS and many, many, MANY more articles all
over.

Wolffan

Feb 21, 2022, 10:06:13 AM2/21/22
On 2022 Feb 21, Commander Kinsey wrote
(in article <op.1hxj3...@ryzen.lan>):
it’s trivially easy to see where MS got MS-DOS from. That would have been
Tim Patterson at Seattle Computer Products. Refusing to admit your error does
not make you look particularly intelligent. Comments like ’the earth is
flat’, above, in response to actual facts make you seem as troll-like and
stupid as David Brooks. You’re not really Our David posting under yet
another nym, are you?

Chris

Feb 21, 2022, 10:33:52 AM2/21/22
That's fucking stupid ;) All drives are mounted on the same filesystem
so it makes sense to have a common path. C:, D:, etc is unhelpful
because it's limited to 26 volumes and has no semantic meaning.

S:\files\bob
Z:\files\bob

Are meaningless, whereas:

/Volumes/work.smb/files/bob
/Volumes/NAS/files/bob

You can tell the first one is a work samba share and the second is a NAS.

Chris

Feb 21, 2022, 10:48:04 AM2/21/22
On 20/02/2022 22:08, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 18:42:45 -0000, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Why should users have to remember a bunch of drive letters?
>
> They don't.  Everybody knows it's A: for floppy (not used now), C: for
> hard disk.  If you add another floppy it's B:, if you add a CDROM or
> another hard drive it's D: etc.  Or you cna get fancy and call a folder
> or partition a drive letter.

In business, different network shares are on different drives and the
policies differ between companies. I've seen H:, S:, U:, P: used for
specific reasons which have to be learned and getting them confused can
be a serious issue.

Whereas you only need to be able to read English to understand the
following.

/Volumes/Finance
/Volumes/HR
/Volumes/Shared

nospam

Feb 21, 2022, 10:51:21 AM2/21/22
In article <0001HW.27C3E1E001...@news.supernews.com>,
Wolffan <akwo...@zoho.com> wrote:

> On 2022 Feb 21, Commander Kinsey wrote
> (in article <op.1hxj3...@ryzen.lan>):

> > > Common knowledge or not, it is not accurate.
> >
> > Yeah ok, and the earth is flat.
>
> itıs trivially easy to see where MS got MS-DOS from. That would have been
> Tim Patterson at Seattle Computer Products. Refusing to admit your error does
> not make you look particularly intelligent. Comments like ıthe earth is
> flatı, above, in response to actual facts make you seem as troll-like and
> stupid as David Brooks. Youıre not really Our David posting under yet
> another nym, are you?

he's not, although he is almost as stupid.

nospam

Feb 21, 2022, 1:57:15 PM2/21/22
In article <j7i59n...@mid.individual.net>, TimS
<timst...@greenbee.net> wrote:

> Drive letters are such 1970s bollocks. On a Win98 PC, years ago, there was a
> script which referred to a mounted drive as Z: but when that drive was moved
> to the machine running the script, it became D: and the script failed.

exactly the problem with drive letters.

Chris Ridd

Feb 21, 2022, 2:00:27 PM2/21/22
On 21/02/2022 18:51, TimS wrote:
> On 20 Feb 2022 at 13:55:54 GMT, "Commander Kinsey" <C...@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> I mainly use PCs and thought, how do Mac users manage without drive letters? How do you enter a path for example? How can a program refer to a file if there's no letter?
>
> You really mean, how can one refer to a *Volume* without a letter. On my Mac,
> all mounted volumes may be found at /Volumes (excpet for the boot volume which
> is at /
>
> A drive may contain many volumes, and it is these that the user is interested
> in.
>
> Users may be found in /Users. So my desktop is at /Users/tim/Desktop and the
> path to some file there might be /Users/tim/Desktop/xyz.jpeg
>
> Drive letters are such 1970s bollocks. On a Win98 PC, years ago, there was a
> script which referred to a mounted drive as Z: but when that drive was moved
> to the machine running the script, it became D: and the script failed.

I recall that Windows NT doesn't actually have drive letters by design -
and Microsoft got the NT team to simulate them just for the sake of
backwards compatibility with MS-DOS.

Also NT can mount disks arbitrarily, like Unix.

--
Chris

Wolffan

Feb 21, 2022, 4:16:28 PM2/21/22
On 2022 Feb 21, nospam wrote
(in article<210220221051190508%nos...@nospam.invalid>):

> In article<0001HW.27C3E1E001...@news.supernews.com>,
> Wolffan <akwo...@zoho.com> wrote:
>
> > On 2022 Feb 21, Commander Kinsey wrote
> > (in article <op.1hxj3...@ryzen.lan>):

> > > Yeah ok, and the earth is flat.
> >
> > it¹s trivially easy to see where MS got MS-DOS from. That would have been
> > Tim Patterson at Seattle Computer Products. Refusing to admit your error
> > does
> > not make you look particularly intelligent. Comments like ¹the earth is
> > flat¹, above, in response to actual facts make you seem as troll-like and
> > stupid as David Brooks. You¹re not really Our David posting under yet
> > another nym, are you?
>
> he's not, although he is almost as stupid.

it’shard for anyone to achieve the consistent leavel of idiocy thatOur
David can. This twit does a pretty good job of it, though.

Graham J

Feb 21, 2022, 4:36:30 PM2/21/22
Other operating systems also used letters.

For example RT-11 used a two letter code to represent the drive type (eg
DX, RK, RL) and a logical code SY to represent the currently booted
system drive. Appended to these codes was a digit, to represent one of
perhaps several drives of the same type; followed by a colon. So a very
small system with two 8-inch floppy drives (about 600kbytes capacity
each drive) had devices DX0: and DX1: - and the filename followed the
device name - so invoking DX1:PROGRAM.EXE would run that program.

RT-11 had no concept of paths.

Any device could be made bootable, simply by creating a filesystem on
the media (FORMAT) and placing the driver's boot code into block zero
(INIT); then copying the operating system files and device drivers to
that media.

So a system running on an 8-inch floppy could be connected to the
controller and drive mechanics for a RK05 hard disk (a humungous 5
MBytes capacity, and very much faster) and the faster system booted with
a command of the form BOOT RK0:. I think this level of simplicy has not
been seen since!

A suitably skilled programmer could create a driver for completely new
hardware with a few day's work; so an OEM could run RT-11 on his own
custom-designed hardware.

--
Graham J

nospam

Feb 21, 2022, 5:13:03 PM2/21/22
In article <0001HW.27C438A701...@news.supernews.com>,
Wolffan <akwo...@zoho.com> wrote:

> > > On 2022 Feb 21, Commander Kinsey wrote
> > > (in article <op.1hxj3...@ryzen.lan>):

> > > it1s trivially easy to see where MS got MS-DOS from. That would have been
> > > Tim Patterson at Seattle Computer Products. Refusing to admit your error
> > > does
> > > not make you look particularly intelligent. Comments like 1the earth is
> > > flat1, above, in response to actual facts make you seem as troll-like and
> > > stupid as David Brooks. You1re not really Our David posting under yet
> > > another nym, are you?
> >
> > he's not, although he is almost as stupid.
>
> itąshard for anyone to achieve the consistent leavel of idiocy thatOur
> David can. This twit does a pretty good job of it, though.

keep reading his posts. he says some utterly crazy shit.

Bob Campbell

Feb 21, 2022, 11:43:38 PM2/21/22
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> keep reading his posts. he says some utterly crazy shit.

He sounds like Arlen. Spouting utter bullshit as “facts”.

Bob Campbell

Feb 22, 2022, 12:03:47 AM2/22/22
Commander Kinsey <C...@nospam.com> wrote:

> DOS was designed by Gates in a garage, this is common knowledge.

Giggle. Snort. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Common knowledge where? In clueless newbie land?

Common it may be. Knowledge it certainly is not.

Hint: Learn something about the topic before you pontificate about it.
Right now you look incredibly stupid.

Hello Arlen.

nospam

Feb 22, 2022, 2:30:35 AM2/22/22
In article <nM6dnQ3gSdwz84n_...@supernews.com>, Bob
thats minor compared to some of the other shit he's said.

> Hello Arlen.

it's not arlen.

Commander Kinsey

Feb 22, 2022, 10:03:22 AM2/22/22
Why not just use A to P?

Commander Kinsey

Feb 22, 2022, 10:03:51 AM2/22/22
On Mon, 21 Feb 2022 08:17:33 -0000, Kelly Phillips <KF...@podcasts.org> wrote:

You seem to have pooled your newsgroups, you sent this 5 times.

Commander Kinsey

Feb 22, 2022, 10:04:22 AM2/22/22
So near enough.

Commander Kinsey

Feb 22, 2022, 10:16:54 AM2/22/22
On Mon, 21 Feb 2022 18:51:35 -0000, TimS <timst...@greenbee.net> wrote:

> On 20 Feb 2022 at 13:55:54 GMT, "Commander Kinsey" <C...@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> I mainly use PCs and thought, how do Mac users manage without drive letters? How do you enter a path for example? How can a program refer to a file if there's no letter?
>
> You really mean, how can one refer to a *Volume* without a letter. On my Mac,
> all mounted volumes may be found at /Volumes (excpet for the boot volume which
> is at /
>
> A drive may contain many volumes, and it is these that the user is interested
> in.

Or files. For example c:\work\receipts\Jones.xls
A mac path would be far longer.

> Users may be found in /Users. So my desktop is at /Users/tim/Desktop and the
> path to some file there might be /Users/tim/Desktop/xyz.jpeg
>
> Drive letters are such 1970s bollocks. On a Win98 PC, years ago, there was a
> script which referred to a mounted drive as Z: but when that drive was moved
> to the machine running the script, it became D: and the script failed.

What a weird thing to move around. Drives live on one machine unless you're trying to repair one.

Commander Kinsey

Feb 22, 2022, 10:18:19 AM2/22/22
It's nothing to do with DOS. Most programs you install nowadays use say the path "C:\program files\program name\data\log.txt"

Commander Kinsey

Feb 22, 2022, 10:28:39 AM2/22/22
I think I'll beleive 100 people over you.

Commander Kinsey

Feb 22, 2022, 10:29:46 AM2/22/22
On Mon, 21 Feb 2022 15:06:08 -0000, Wolffan <akwo...@zoho.com> wrote:

> On 2022 Feb 21, Commander Kinsey wrote
> (in article <op.1hxj3...@ryzen.lan>):
>
>> On Mon, 21 Feb 2022 06:33:49 -0000, Snit<brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Common knowledge or not, it is not accurate.
>>
>> Yeah ok, and the earth is flat.
>
> it’s trivially easy to see where MS got MS-DOS from. That would have been
> Tim Patterson at Seattle Computer Products. Refusing to admit your error does
> not make you look particularly intelligent. Comments like ’the earth is
> flat’, above, in response to actual facts

"Facts" that you and one other claim to be true, going against "facts" I've read and heard countless times. I can only go with the majority.

> make you seem as troll-like and
> stupid as David Brooks. You’re not really Our David posting under yet
> another nym, are you?

I would never pretend to be a religious nut.

David Brooks

Feb 22, 2022, 2:04:03 PM2/22/22
On 22/02/2022 15:29, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2022 15:06:08 -0000, Wolffan <akwo...@zoho.com> wrote:

[....]
>> make you seem as troll-like and
>> stupid as David Brooks. You’re not really Our David posting under yet
>> another nym, are you?
>
>  I would never pretend to be a religious nut.

Yet here you are interacting with a known prolific *LIAR*!

Wolffan

Feb 22, 2022, 7:58:25 PM2/22/22
On 2022 Feb 22, Commander Kinsey wrote
(in article <op.1hzzz...@ryzen.lan>):

> On Mon, 21 Feb 2022 15:06:08 -0000, Wolffan<akwo...@zoho.com> wrote:
>
> > On 2022 Feb 21, Commander Kinsey wrote
> > (in article <op.1hxj3...@ryzen.lan>):

> > > Yeah ok, and the earth is flat.
> >
> > it’s trivially easy to see where MS got MS-DOS from. That would have been
> > Tim Patterson at Seattle Computer Products. Refusing to admit your error
> > does
> > not make you look particularly intelligent. Comments like ’the earth is
> > flat’, above, in response to actual facts
>
> "Facts" that you and one other claim to be true, going against "facts" I've
> read and heard countless times. I can only go with the majority.

Do a Google search for ‘history ms dos’.

> > make you seem as troll-like and
> > stupid as David Brooks. You’re not really Our David posting under yet
> > another nym, are you?
>
> I would never pretend to be a religious nut.

Our David is nuts in so many ways

Wolffan

Feb 22, 2022, 8:04:50 PM2/22/22
On 2022 Feb 22, David Brooks wrote
(in article <BsaRJ.42727$wLv5....@fx13.ams1>):
as usual, you can’t point out any lies, because, as usual, I haven’t made
any. A simple google for ‘history ms dos’ will show that Gates got DOS by
buying the rights from Seattle Computer Products for $75,000. He didn’t
create it. At the time no-one working for MS could create a working OS, that
being why he had to buy one. And he later hired the guy who actually created
it and set him to work on improving it, as no-one at MS had the skills to do
that.

As usual, believe it don’t. your choice. however in this case it’s
trivial to look it up. I even gave links in another post.

Bob Campbell

Feb 22, 2022, 11:26:31 PM2/22/22
Commander Kinsey <C...@nospam.com> wrote:
>I think I'll beleive 100 people over you.

Even if 1,000,000 people believe that Bill Gates wrote DOS, they are still
wrong.

You are a buffoon. Do some research. DOS was purchased, not
written/designed by ANYONE at Microsoft.

But keep on digging that hole.

Bob Campbell

Feb 22, 2022, 11:33:21 PM2/22/22
nospam <nos...@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> it's not arlen.

Perhaps not. But it is every bit as clueless and incapable of admitting
being wrong as Arlen.

Snit

Feb 22, 2022, 11:34:08 PM2/22/22
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS
——

Microsoft, which needed an operating system for the IBM Personal
Computer,[8][9] hired Tim Paterson in May 1981 and bought 86-DOS 1.10 for
US$75,000 in July of the same year. Microsoft kept the version number, but
renamed it MS-DOS.
——

somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Bob Campbell

Feb 22, 2022, 11:46:55 PM2/22/22
Snit <Brock.M...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bob Campbell <no...@none.none> wrote:
>> Commander Kinsey <C...@nospam.com> wrote:
>>> I think I'll beleive 100 people over you.
>>>

>> Even if 1,000,000 people believe that Bill Gates wrote DOS, they are still
>> wrong.
>>
>> You are a buffoon. Do some research. DOS was purchased, not
>> written/designed by ANYONE at Microsoft.
>>
>> But keep on digging that hole.
>>

> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS
> ——
>
> Microsoft, which needed an operating system for the IBM Personal
> Computer,[8][9] hired Tim Paterson in May 1981 and bought 86-DOS 1.10 for
> US$75,000 in July of the same year. Microsoft kept the version number, but
> renamed it MS-DOS.
> ——

Don’t confuse him with facts. He “believes 100 people”.

Snit

Feb 23, 2022, 3:35:07 AM2/23/22
97 of whom refuse to get vaccinated. :-)

%

Feb 23, 2022, 8:52:47 AM2/23/22
On 2022-02-23 1:35 a.m., Snit wrote:
> Bob Campbell <no...@none.none> wrote:
>> Snit <Brock.M...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS
>>> ——
>>>
>>> Microsoft, which needed an operating system for the IBM Personal
>>> Computer,[8][9] hired Tim Paterson in May 1981 and bought 86-DOS 1.10 for
>>> US$75,000 in July of the same year. Microsoft kept the version number, but
>>> renamed it MS-DOS.
>>> ——
>>>

>> Don’t confuse him with facts. He “believes 100 people”.
>>

> 97 of whom refuse to get vaccinated. :-)

and then they go eat meat from the supermarket

Commander Kinsey

Feb 23, 2022, 11:53:00 AM2/23/22
On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 00:58:18 -0000, Wolffan <akwo...@zoho.com> wrote:

> On 2022 Feb 22, Commander Kinsey wrote
> (in article <op.1hzzz...@ryzen.lan>):
>
>> On Mon, 21 Feb 2022 15:06:08 -0000, Wolffan<akwo...@zoho.com> wrote:
>>
>> > On 2022 Feb 21, Commander Kinsey wrote
>> > (in article <op.1hxj3...@ryzen.lan>):

>> > it’s trivially easy to see where MS got MS-DOS from. That would have been
>> > Tim Patterson at Seattle Computer Products. Refusing to admit your error
>> > does
>> > not make you look particularly intelligent. Comments like ’the earth is
>> > flat’, above, in response to actual facts
>>
>> "Facts" that you and one other claim to be true, going against "facts" I've
>> read and heard countless times. I can only go with the majority.
>
> Do a Google search for ‘history ms dos’.

Which will either give me one more example on your side or my side. I have enough data already.

>> > make you seem as troll-like and
>> > stupid as David Brooks. You’re not really Our David posting under yet
>> > another nym, are you?
>>
>> I would never pretend to be a religious nut.
>
> Our David is nuts in so many ways

Not as nuts as Snit.

Commander Kinsey

Feb 23, 2022, 11:53:42 AM2/23/22
You lie about the existence of god.

Commander Kinsey

Feb 23, 2022, 11:55:46 AM2/23/22
On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 08:35:04 -0000, Snit <Brock.M...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Bob Campbell <no...@none.none> wrote:
>> Snit <Brock.M...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS-DOS
>>> ——
>>>
>>> Microsoft, which needed an operating system for the IBM Personal
>>> Computer,[8][9] hired Tim Paterson in May 1981 and bought 86-DOS 1.10 for
>>> US$75,000 in July of the same year. Microsoft kept the version number, but
>>> renamed it MS-DOS.
>>> ——
>>>

>> Don’t confuse him with facts. He “believes 100 people”.
>>

> 97 of whom refuse to get vaccinated. :-)

You misspelt poisoned.

Commander Kinsey

Feb 23, 2022, 11:56:11 AM2/23/22
If you showed me a website that proved the earth was flat, I wouldn't beleive it.

Commander Kinsey

Feb 23, 2022, 11:56:39 AM2/23/22
I suppose you also believe the shite they've snuck onto the internet that the average cock size is 6 inches.

David Brooks

Feb 23, 2022, 2:11:44 PM2/23/22
No, that would be you!

%

Feb 23, 2022, 2:20:43 PM2/23/22
this should be good now he can say , " no you do ,
to which you can reply with a , " no , that's you " ,
and it can be an all day thread ,
yes you do ,
no i don't ,
yes you do
no you do ,
no i don't , you do

Commander Kinsey

Feb 23, 2022, 4:43:37 PM2/23/22
You forgot to use Snit's buzzword "denial".

Commander Kinsey

Feb 23, 2022, 4:43:55 PM2/23/22
I came here for an argument not a contradiction.

David Brooks

Feb 23, 2022, 4:48:51 PM2/23/22
The river in Africa?

David Brooks

Feb 23, 2022, 4:49:33 PM2/23/22
On 23/02/2022 21:43, Commander Kinsey wrote:
No you didn't!

Commander Kinsey

Feb 23, 2022, 4:54:38 PM2/23/22
Sorry I don't speak ebonics.

Commander Kinsey

Feb 23, 2022, 4:55:08 PM2/23/22
I.... there must be an argumentative answer to that.

David Brooks

Feb 23, 2022, 5:05:43 PM2/23/22
Well, you should. They are quite good:-

https://www.euronics.co.uk

David Brooks

Feb 23, 2022, 5:06:26 PM2/23/22
No there isn't!

Snit

Feb 23, 2022, 5:15:16 PM2/23/22
On Feb 23, 2022 at 2:43:34 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
<op.1h2by...@ryzen.lan>:

> On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 19:11:42 -0000, David Brooks <B...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 23/02/2022 16:53, Commander Kinsey wrote:

>>> You lie about the existence of god.
>>
>> No, that would be you!
>
> You forgot to use Snit's buzzword "denial".

I never use that word. Or if I do I am in... um... not sure what that would be
called.

Snit

Feb 23, 2022, 5:28:05 PM2/23/22
On Feb 23, 2022 at 9:55:42 AM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
<op.1h1ym...@ryzen.lan>:

> On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 08:35:04 -0000, Snit <Brock.M...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Bob Campbell <no...@none.none> wrote:

>>> Don=E2=80=99t confuse him with facts. He =E2=80=9Cbelieves 100
>>> people=E2=80=9D.
>>>

>> 97 of whom refuse to get vaccinated. :-)
>
> You misspelt poisoned.

Incorrect assumption on your part.

Commander Kinsey

Feb 23, 2022, 5:35:48 PM2/23/22
On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 22:15:12 -0000, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2022 at 2:43:34 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
> <op.1h2by...@ryzen.lan>:

>>> No, that would be you!
>>
>> You forgot to use Snit's buzzword "denial".
>
> I never use that word.

You constantly say I'm in denial when I say something you disagree with.

> Or if I do I am in... um... not sure what that would be called.

Superiority ego mode, or as some people call it, "American".

Snit

Feb 23, 2022, 5:41:41 PM2/23/22
On Feb 23, 2022 at 6:52:41 AM MST, "%" wrote
<Fp6dnTft9aG3oYv_...@giganews.com>:
And not the road? Ew!

Snit

Feb 23, 2022, 5:53:51 PM2/23/22
On Feb 23, 2022 at 3:35:44 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
<op.1h2ed...@ryzen.lan>:

> On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 22:15:12 -0000, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 23, 2022 at 2:43:34 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
>> <op.1h2by...@ryzen.lan>:

>>> You forgot to use Snit's buzzword "denial".
>>
>> I never use that word.
>
> You constantly say I'm in denial when I say something you disagree with.

You missed sarcasm again.

>> Or if I do I am in... um... not sure what that would be called.
>
> Superiority ego mode, or as some people call it, "American".

Commander Kinsey

Feb 23, 2022, 5:55:37 PM2/23/22
On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 22:53:50 -0000, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2022 at 3:35:44 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
> <op.1h2ed...@ryzen.lan>:
>
>> On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 22:15:12 -0000, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I never use that word.
>>
>> You constantly say I'm in denial when I say something you disagree with.
>
> You missed sarcasm again.

Then use the :-) as you were asked to.

Snit

Feb 23, 2022, 6:03:44 PM2/23/22
On Feb 23, 2022 at 3:55:34 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
<op.1h2fa...@ryzen.lan>:
Are you being sarcastic?

Commander Kinsey

Feb 23, 2022, 7:12:48 PM2/23/22
No. Or I would have written "Then use the :-) as you were asked to :-)"

Snit

Feb 23, 2022, 8:51:46 PM2/23/22
On Feb 23, 2022 at 5:12:43 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
<op.1h2iv...@ryzen.lan>:
You used smilies twice in that sentence.

John Hill

Feb 24, 2022, 2:29:24 AM2/24/22
On 23 Feb 2022 at 16:55:42 GMT, ""Commander Kinsey"" <C...@nospam.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 08:35:04 -0000, Snit <Brock.M...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Bob Campbell <no...@none.none> wrote:

>>> Don=E2=80=99t confuse him with facts. He =E2=80=9Cbelieves 100
>>> people=E2=80=9D.
>>>

>> 97 of whom refuse to get vaccinated. :-)
>
> You misspelt poisoned.

Oh, dear! You just got yourself killfiled.

John.
--
God made the integers; all else is the work of man.

David Brooks

Feb 24, 2022, 8:49:02 AM2/24/22
Only the first one worked for me! :-D + :-)

Commander Kinsey

Feb 24, 2022, 5:15:50 PM2/24/22
No, they're a proud sponsor of the women's you A fuckup.

I meant nigger talk.

Commander Kinsey

Feb 24, 2022, 5:20:28 PM2/24/22
Silly sheep.

Commander Kinsey

Feb 24, 2022, 5:21:12 PM2/24/22
On Thu, 24 Feb 2022 07:40:02 -0000, Alan B <alanrich...@nospamgmail.com.here> wrote:
> Good idea! Anyone with any sense killfiles most if not all of the
> alt.computer.workshop fraternity :(

And yet here you are reading my post.

Commander Kinsey

Feb 24, 2022, 5:23:18 PM2/24/22
Not according to my newsreader, only the first was converted to a picture. I guess the " scared it off.

Anyway, what's wrong with using smilies twice?

ROFL, I used to have a colleague called John Smilie. He never smiled. He was a stupid rule stickler like you. He once refused to fit a network switch because it was ONE INCH above regulation height (eye level). I told him to stand on a chair so it would be below his eye level. I never saw him again.

Commander Kinsey

Feb 24, 2022, 5:23:56 PM2/24/22
A friend used to call those emotions. I think he meant that stupid buzzword emoticons.

Snit

Feb 24, 2022, 6:12:48 PM2/24/22
On Feb 24, 2022 at 3:23:13 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
<op.1h38g...@ryzen.lan>:
Neither is converted to a pic here.

> Anyway, what's wrong with using smilies twice?

You are being sarcastic twice.

> ROFL, I used to have a colleague called John Smilie. He never smiled. He was a
> stupid rule stickler like you.

You are the one who creates your own rules and get bent out of shape when
others do not follow them (less / fewer)?

> He once refused to fit a network switch because it was ONE INCH above
> regulation height (eye level). I told him to stand on a chair so it would be
> below his eye level. I never saw him again.

Commander Kinsey

Feb 24, 2022, 6:52:33 PM2/24/22
On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 23:16:11 -0000, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2022 at 3:33:56 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
> <op.1hwua...@ryzen.lan>:

>>> Add to that on macOS you can move and rename files even when they are open.
>>
>> All paths relative to root?
>
> Absolute paths are. You can also have relative paths.

Talk about complicating matters. This shit belongs in linux.

>> How fucking stupid. If it's on another drive it should start differently. You
>> know, like differentiating between your kitchen and mine. You start with what
>> house it's in.
>
> If things are in my user folder the reference is just ~/whatever

nospam

Feb 24, 2022, 7:42:30 PM2/24/22
In article <op.1h4cl...@ryzen.lan>, Commander Kinsey
<C...@nospam.com> wrote:

> >> All paths relative to root?
> >
> > Absolute paths are. You can also have relative paths.
>
> Talk about complicating matters. This shit belongs in linux.

absolute and relative paths are not complicated, and actually simplify
things quite a bit.

mac os is built upon bsd unix so its paths are basically the same as
with linux, but unlike linux, there are additional ways to identify a
file than by using paths, which are very primitive and very limiting.

Snit

Feb 24, 2022, 10:11:39 PM2/24/22
On Feb 24, 2022 at 4:52:30 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
<op.1h4cl...@ryzen.lan>:

> On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 23:16:11 -0000, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 20, 2022 at 3:33:56 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
>> <op.1hwua...@ryzen.lan>:

>>> All paths relative to root?
>>
>> Absolute paths are. You can also have relative paths.
>
> Talk about complicating matters. This shit belongs in linux.

Makes it easier:

* Go to such and such address
* Go two doors up

Both of those fit with how we do things normally. Which is better depends on
the circumstances.

But, really, for general use when do you use either much?

>>> How fucking stupid. If it's on another drive it should start differently. You
>>> know, like differentiating between your kitchen and mine. You start with what
>>> house it's in.
>>
>> If things are in my user folder the reference is just ~/whatever

Commander Kinsey

Feb 25, 2022, 3:11:57 AM2/25/22
Sorry, I forgot you were indoctrinated and cannot say bad things about the holy jab.

Commander Kinsey

Feb 26, 2022, 12:18:39 PM2/26/22
On Wed, 23 Feb 2022 22:41:40 -0000, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 23, 2022 at 6:52:41 AM MST, "%" wrote
> <Fp6dnTft9aG3oYv_...@giganews.com>:

>>> 97 of whom refuse to get vaccinated. :-)
>>>
>> and then they go eat meat from the supermarket
>
> And not the road? Ew!

I've heard it on good authority that apparently meat is poisonous from the supermarket if you don't cook it correctly. Why is that allowed?

Commander Kinsey

Feb 26, 2022, 3:49:24 PM2/26/22
On Thu, 24 Feb 2022 23:12:45 -0000, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2022 at 3:23:13 PM MST, ""Commander Kinsey"" wrote
> <op.1h38g...@ryzen.lan>:
>
>> On Thu, 24 Feb 2022 01:51:44 -0000, Snit <brock.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> You used smilies twice in that sentence.
>>
>> Not according to my newsreader, only the first was converted to a picture. I
>> guess the " scared it off.
>
> Neither is converted to a pic here.

Luddite.

>> Anyway, what's wrong with using smilies twice?
>
> You are being sarcastic twice.

No, the first one was an instruction for you to do sarcasm properly.

>> ROFL, I used to have a colleague called John Smilie. He never smiled. He was a
>> stupid rule stickler like you.
>
> You are the one who creates your own rules and get bent out of shape when
> others do not follow them (less / fewer)?

No, I want to remove the rules.
It is loading more messages.