10 prominent candidates for NYC mayor - and their nuttiest proposals yet

Leroy N. Soetoro

Feb 1, 2021, 2:38:30 PM2/1/21
https://nypost.com/article/candidates-running-for-nyc-mayor-nuttiest-
proposals/

Raise taxes on the rich, who are already heading for the exits!

Ban cars in Manhattan!

Put up the homeless in office buildings!

A dozen-odd candidates have tossed their hats in the ring to be New York
City’s next mayor. Most are so far-left, so out of touch with the Big
Apple’s actual needs, they make the current mayor seem as centrist as a
1960s “Rockefeller Republican.”

To judge them by their words, even the least loony in the field is enough
to send the most passionate New Yorker to the exits. Their statements on
such key issues as policing, homelessness, taxation and quality of life
range from merely silly to borderline insane.

They’ve all got their eyes on the June 22 Democratic primary — decisive in
a city where registered Democrats outnumber Republicans by more than six
to one. It’s no wonder that most candidates lean liberal-and-beyond on
almost every major issue.

Their words matter. Here are some of the candidates’ nuttier
pronouncements. They’re all direct quotes from their websites, interviews
and one campaign video.

Read them and tremble for our future.

SCOTT STRINGER, New York City comptroller
Scott Stringer announces his run for mayor.
Robert Miller
“We will ask the most fortunate to pay a bit more in taxes,” he said at a
campaign announcement in upper Manhattan. “There will be some that leave …
[but] why would you risk your life going to Texas or Florida or anyplace
where you have governors who just ignore health and safety laws? You’ve
got to be nuts to go there.”

WHY IT’S DUMB Stringer’s in charge of the city’s finances. He knows that
finance billionaires Paul Singer and Carl Icahn are willing to “risk their
lives” by moving to Florida along with their companies. Even Goldman Sachs
is weighing a partial move to Fort Lauderdale.

Bloomberg reported that “the top 1 percent of New Yorkers … paid $4.9
billion in local income taxes [in 2018], making up 42.5 percent of total
income tax collected by the city,” according to the Independent Budget
Office.

So, sure — let’s drive them all away and leave it to the poor to fill the
city’s $9 billion budget deficit.

SHAUN DONOVAN, former US Housing Secretary; former NYC commissioner of
Dept of Housing Preservation and Development
Shaun Donovan, left, is joined by his wife Liza, as he announced his
candidacy for the 2021 New York City mayoral campaign.
Bebeto Matthews/AP
“We must have a city where the same benefits [which the “wealthy” enjoy]
“are available to all … we will prove this is possible by [creating] 15-
minute neighborhoods. Within 15 minutes of your front door, every New
Yorker should have a great public school, fresh food, access to rapid
transportation, a park,” he said in a recent speech.

WHY IT’S DUMB Although aimed at the disadvantaged, this pipe dream is more
reflective of the bellyaching of white Upper West Siders when a nearby
burger joint closes. And just how would you install a school or transit
“access” within everyone’s 15-block radius short of rebuilding the entire
city?

ERIC ADAMS, Brooklyn Borough President
Brooklyn Borough President and NYC Mayoral hopeful Eric Adams
Matthew McDermott
that were here and made New York City what it is,” Adams said at an anti-
gentrification rally in Harlem rally last January.

WHY IT’S DUMB Not many people move here from Iowa or Ohio. But blacks
comprise just 8.4 percent and 14.3 percent, respectively, of those states’
populations. As The Post reported, Adams played the race card in using
those states as code for white gentrifiers. Adams isn’t anti-white, but he
shamefully borrowed from Al Sharpton’s notorious “white interlopers”
rhetoric of the 1980s to fire up a Harlem crowd.

DIANNE MORALES, former CEO of several social service nonprofits
Dianne Morales
Dan Herrick
“I was the first candidate for mayor to call to defund the police … we
will divest from policing and reinvest in communities towards community-
based resources like youth support programs and childcare, safe community
spaces and parks, transportation and other public infrastructure … our
money is being directed towards the needs of the people rather than a
system that enforces racism and violence,” she stated on her website.

WHY IT’S DUMB Her feel-good strategy wouldn’t have helped Gloria Flores,
70, a Brooklyn bus rider who was hit by a stray bullet meant for a gang
member. In fact, many black leaders who represent crime-ridden
neighborhoods deplore the idea of police defunding. Bronx City Council
member Vanessa Gibson said her constituents “want to see cops in the
community.” Brooklyn Council member Laurie Cumbo termed defunding a form
of “colonization” pushed by white progressives.

RAY McGUIRE, former Citigroup vice-chairman and global head of corporate
and investment banking
Ray McGuire
Amanda Gordon/Bloomberg via Getty Images
“I am not for defund. I am for restructuring the police … We need better
policing, not fewer police.” (So far, so good!)

But then, he continued, in a Channel 11 interview on Dec. 7: “We need to
get police partners with mental health officials. We need to get police
partnered with community organizations that have been so effective at
managing what’s taking place.”

WHY IT’S DUMB What community groups are “managing” anything well? Surely
they can’t tame the gun violence that’s ravaged mostly minority
neighborhoods. As for “mental health officials,” does McGuire mean
ThriveNYC’s Chirlane McCray, whose agency has burned through $850 million
in public money while doing nothing for those suffering from mental
illness?

MAYA WILEY, former counsel to Mayor de Blasio
Maya Wiley announces her NYC mayoral run.
Paul Martinka
“We must reimagine through big ideas like high schools without walls, that
would untether students from particular assignments to specific buildings
to open up new opportunities for learning,” she states on her website. “We
must consider how kids can virtually join classrooms for courses that they
are interested in.”

WHY IT’S DUMB Remote learning since schools “reopened” has universally
been called a disaster for pupils and their families.

KATHRYN GARCIA, former NYC Sanitation chief
Kathryn Garcia
Stefan Jeremiah
“For the past 14 years, I’ve gotten up at 5 a.m. to make sure that by the
time most New Yorkers wake up, their trash has been collected and they
have clean water in their tap,” she declared on her campaign website.

WHY IT’S DUMB This might be the worst-timed campaign boast in history. Big
Apple streets have never been filthier with walls of uncollected trash.
It’s partly due to Mayor de Blasio cutting $106 million from the
department’s budget but it was little better before that. Worse, Garcia
hardly protested the cuts: “These were just really difficult choices,”
Garcia said last July.

LOREE K. SUTTON, retired Army brigadier general and Mayor de Blasio’s
first Veterans Services commissioner
Loree Sutton
Robert Miller
“We can respect the dignity of all seriously mentally ill New Yorkers and
their families through ensuring timely access to clubhouse communities,
clinical treatment, caregiver respite, residential programs and, when
needed, hospitalization,” she states on her website. “We can reach and
provide care for those who are depressed and despondent, whose suffering
may drive them to addiction and deaths of despair, whether by intention or
accident.”

WHY IT’S DUMB New Yorkers don’t want “clubhouse communities,” whatever
that means. They want to be safe from bipolar, screaming street defecators
and subway pushers. But to Sutton, it’s more important to “contain,
mitigate and prevent” the crisis that every New Yorker surely fears most —
“the increasingly disruptive threats caused by climate disruption.”

JOYCELYN TAYLOR, a self-described “working-class Democrat” and founder of
TaylorMade Contracting, a home-improvement firm
Joycelyn Taylor
Facebook
“There are a lot of companies that are right now going to have employees
that are going to be working from home. There’s a lot of office space
that’s going to be available,” she said. “Let’s take the Daily News for
example, they mentioned that none of their employees are going back.

“We can do quick conversion of some of these office spaces to provide more
stability and permanency for them in this moment.”

WHY IT’S DUMB People won’t be working from home forever. And as a business
owner, Taylor might have heard that office buildings are private property.
The city can’t just take them over to house the homeless. That is, not
unless it pays the landlord a lot of money as it’s done with hotels. And
we’ve seen how well that’s worked out.

CARLOS MENCHACA, City Council member who killed a worthy, small-scale
rezoning in Brooklyn’s Sunset Park neighborhood
Councilman Carlos Menchaca
Taidgh Barron
“When I think about the future of a city like New York, I think about car-
less boroughs. Boroughs, I’ll say it! Imagine if Manhattan was completely
car-less. And how do you get there? It’s by inching towards that, it’s
through conversation and experimentation,” he said in a May 2018 interview
with Transportation Alternatives.

WHY IT’S DUMB He travels only by bike and is neglecting to think about the
millions of New Yorkers who aren’t as young and fit and need four wheels
rather than two to get to their jobs.

--
"LOCKDOWN", left-wing COVID fearmongering. 95% of COVID infections
recover with no after effects.

ballots. Report voter fraud: sf.n...@mail.house.gov

fiasco, President Trump.

queer liberal democrat donors.