2000 c6500 (old uhaul truck) how to remove lock cylinder

Jonathan Filippi

Oct 18, 2023, 6:36:15 PM10/18/23
Hello, i am just about losing it, stuck on side of road. Truck started stalling when lock cylinder began to rotate without key, and bind when turning.

I got some info from just answer, it describes a screw holding in cylinder. Mine is not there, but the hole is.
I got a new lock cylinder, picking up new switch tomorrow.

I got the clip off by pushing down the horn plate with my feet, and using some pick tools to remover the clip.

But i am stuck now. Very frightening, its all i have in this trucj, many miles from home.

david

Nov 11, 2023, 5:52:17 AM11/11/23
In <news:adb98d65-20c0-4855...@googlegroups.com>, Jonathan
Good luck! That's a scary experience.
Let us know how it works out.

Jonathan Filippi

Nov 12, 2023, 11:34:08 PM11/12/23
well, i figured it out!

For one, to remove a lock cylinder, you have to turn the key to start position!. If you dont have the key, you have to drill out the lock first! then use a screwdriver to go to start position.

So turn it all the way... and then you will have either a screw, or some sort of tab to push down on. From there, it will just pop out!

My tab was hidden, i needed to use a pointy pick to push it down, and i could only tell it was there because i had a new lock cylinder already. I cleaned out the debris from there, and installed the new one! it was pretty easy.

ALSO: check with different autoparts stores, because some charge a fortune, some dont have lock cylinders as a RULE ... but i found mine for 20 dollars! It fit my GMC and also Cadillac!