Window next to front door, deadbolt side -- best way to secure?

Message has been deleted

MThomas859

May 24, 2003, 4:17:14 PM5/24/03
The double key deadbolt would be the best option from a security stand point.
Suggest before you take or reject the idea, you check fire codes. That is a
definate concern. You don't want to block your exit. Options could include
keeping the key in the inside cylinder while someone is at home and at night,
assuming someone would be alerted by breaking glass. Have alternate fire escape
plans in place also. Might also consider decorative iron bars over the window,
close enough to prevent a hand or arm from entering if they did break the glass
and to prevent a slender thief from entering through the window. (Probably
unlikely with shards of glass, but hey, we've all seen clips of "dumbest
criminals".)

>From: mi...@yourjump.com (Mike Gnitecki)

>I recently moved into a new house. Unfortunately, the house came with
>a vertical window (approximately 11 inches wide by 58 inches high)
>installed right next to the front door, on the deadbolt side. In other
>words, anyone could just break the glass, reach in, and unlock the
>deadbolt.
>
>I've thought that perhaps the best way to add some security would be
>to use a lock that requires a key to unlock the deadbolt from the
>inside (and the key would not be kept in the lock). The downside to
>this option, though, is that a potential burglar would still break the
>glass (which costs money to replace) before he realized that he
>couldn't unlock the deadbolt. In addition, in the event of a fire,
>there could be some issues ("Where's the key to unlock the door?"). Is
>there a better way of securing this?
>
>Thanks,
>Mike Gnitecki

Paul M.

May 24, 2003, 4:21:03 PM5/24/03
Hmm, that is a tough one. I would think use the double key knob, then maybe
put the key in some kind of combonation locked key box on the other side of
the door? Like one of these things?
http://www.kwiklocks.com/kwiklocks/keysafe.html#permanent

"Mike Gnitecki" <mi...@yourjump.com> wrote in message
> Hello,

Jim Billings

May 24, 2003, 6:18:44 PM5/24/03
Medeco makes a lock like that.

Jim Billings

"--Shiva--" <no...@abuse.net> wrote in message

> #1... go to the school architects go to and FORCE THEM to pass a
> test on life safety codes BEFORE they get their license... then
> they quit designing this...
>
> #2... someone else here can come up with the brand, but there IS
> (was) made a double cylinder dead bolt, that the inside key was
> trapped, UNTIL the key was inserted in the outside lock= then you
> could remove the inside key...
> open door, insert outside key, remove inside key, lock lock from
> outside...
> get home, insert key in INSIDE and its trapped again UNTIL you
> go thru this AGAIN...
>

> --Shiva--
> nuk pu nuk

Billy B. Edwards Jr.

May 24, 2003, 8:43:18 PM5/24/03
Change the glass to Lexan.
BBE.

Mike Gnitecki wrote:

> Hello,

Henry E Schaffer

May 24, 2003, 8:57:52 PM5/24/03
In article <3ED011A6...@thelockman.com>,

Billy B. Edwards Jr. <bedw...@thelockman.com> wrote:
>Change the glass to Lexan.

And also improve/strengthen the framing holding it in place.
--
--henry schaffer
h...@ncsu.edu

Henry E Schaffer

May 24, 2003, 9:00:23 PM5/24/03
In article <XtWdnUXqFpE...@comcast.com>,

Paul M. <pau...@comcast.net> wrote:
>Hmm, that is a tough one. I would think use the double key knob, then maybe
>put the key in some kind of combonation locked key box on the other side of
>the door? Like one of these things?
>http://www.kwiklocks.com/kwiklocks/keysafe.html#permanent

That would make it *very* difficult to leave the home in an emergency,
such as a fire situation.

Remember that all you would need is to have the lock outside the reach
of the broken window - so it might as well be hanging on a hook on the
other side of the door. However I prefer the lexan suggestion which
doesn't add any fumbling around at all.
--
--henry schaffer
h...@ncsu.edu

Roger Shoaf

May 25, 2003, 2:04:36 AM5/25/03
Or in the alternative to changing the glass, leave the glass in place and
mount the Lexan on the inside with screws so you can remove it to clean the
inside of the glass.

--
Roger Shoaf

"Billy B. Edwards Jr." <bedw...@thelockman.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

Billy B. Edwards Jr.

May 25, 2003, 8:10:36 AM5/25/03
Lexan isn't nearly as cheap as glass and hard to say what it would take
to strengthen your frame since there are many different types. People
at the link can tell you what your 5 sq. ft. would cost. I would
recommend 1/4" thick.
BBE.

http://www.emcoplastics.com/lexan.htm

Mike Gnitecki wrote:

> h...@hes01.unity.ncsu.edu (Henry E Schaffer) wrote in message news:<bap4eg$e4t$1...@hes01.unity.ncsu.edu>...

> > In article <3ED011A6...@thelockman.com>,
> > Billy B. Edwards Jr. <bedw...@thelockman.com> wrote:
> > >Change the glass to Lexan.
> >
> > And also improve/strengthen the framing holding it in place.
>

> Thanks to everyone for all of the replies. The Lexan option attracts
> me the most (no fire safety issues, etc). Approximately how much would
> the Lexan cost? $100? $200? $300? I don't want to spend a ton of money
> on this...
>
> Also, how critical would it be to strengthen the window frame? It
> sounds expensive...
>
> -Mike

Henry E Schaffer

May 25, 2003, 8:22:44 AM5/25/03
In article <f80080fe.0305...@posting.google.com>,

Mike Gnitecki <mi...@yourjump.com> wrote:
>h...@hes01.unity.ncsu.edu (Henry E Schaffer) wrote in message news:<bap4eg$e4t$1...@hes01.unity.ncsu.edu>...
>> And also improve/strengthen the framing holding it in place.
>Also, how critical would it be to strengthen the window frame? It
>sounds expensive...

IMHO doing something is important. This type of glass is often held
in with quarter-round going around its inside perimeter and fastened
with a few brads (at perhaps 1 foot intervals.) Strengthening this may
be as simple as adding more brads or screws to make sure that the
quarter-round isn't dislodged by a kick.

The rest of the frame may not be a problem.
--
--henry schaffer
h...@ncsu.edu

Message has been deleted

Henry E Schaffer

May 25, 2003, 3:30:00 PM5/25/03
In article <f80080fe.03052...@posting.google.com>,
Mike Gnitecki <mi...@yourjump.com> wrote:
>I'm thinking that perhaps the best option would be to mount the Lexan
>on the inside side of the glass, and hold it in place with a metal
>frame (or maybe just metal brackets?). ...

Remember that while Lexan/polycarbonate is very strong and shatter
resistant, it is also flexible. So if it is just held in by a few metal
brackets, a strong push might curve it enough to pop out of the brackets.
--
--henry schaffer
h...@ncsu.edu

Roger Shoaf

May 25, 2003, 6:28:28 PM5/25/03

"Mike Gnitecki" <mi...@yourjump.com> wrote in message

> I'm thinking that perhaps the best option would be to mount the Lexan

> on the inside side of the glass, and hold it in place with a metal

> frame (or maybe just metal brackets?). However, I'll have to see how
> much this would cost. If it ends up exceeding $200 or $300, I will
> look at other options (i.e. the deadbolt).

You don't really need a metal frame. You probably have at least 3 inches
between the inside of the glass and the inside of the wall.

Get some wood strips and fasten them around the edge of the window frame.
Now fasten the Lexan with oval head wood screws every 6 inches or so. You
should also use finishing washers.

If your glass is close to the inside wall, cut the plastic larger and screw
it to the wall.

THE LEAST OF THESE HIS BRETHERN

May 25, 2003, 10:48:33 PM5/25/03
Have we entertained the idea of getting a new solid core door. There may
be an architectural salvage company near you that would have some
interesting doors...or perhaps you local home center. At any rate you
can install a spy glass to see who is at the door without the window.
There are spy glasses that have a panoramic view of a wide area. I
myself would barter peace of mind over the cost of a new door....and the
next time your neighbor comes over early to borrow a cup of sugar for
their shredded wheat they don't get to see that you might wear the same
kind of briefs as Michael Jordan.

Joe Bramblett, KD5NRH

Oct 14, 2003, 7:20:06 PM10/14/03
On 24 May 2003 12:58:20 -0700, mi...@yourjump.com (Mike Gnitecki)
wrote:

>I recently moved into a new house. Unfortunately, the house came with
>a vertical window (approximately 11 inches wide by 58 inches high)
>installed right next to the front door, on the deadbolt side. In other
>words, anyone could just break the glass, reach in, and unlock the
>deadbolt.

How much do you like the window? You could always check with a local
cabinetmaker about making up a piece of hardwood patterned/stained to
match the door and replacing the glass altogether.

Joe Bramblett, KD5NRH
kd5...@myway.com

Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam)

Oct 14, 2003, 10:46:06 PM10/14/03
Joe Bramblett, KD5NRH wrote:
> How much do you like the window? You could always check with a local
> cabinetmaker about making up a piece of hardwood patterned/stained to
> match the door and replacing the glass altogether.

Or consider replacing the glass with Lexan, if you want to keep the look
but have it be shatterproof. The good stuff ain't cheap, unfortunately.

--
Joe Kesselman, http://www.lovesong.com/people/keshlam/

Putyourspamhere

Oct 15, 2003, 10:41:24 AM10/15/03
>Subject: Re: Window next to front door, deadbolt side -- best way to secure?
>From: "Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam)" kes...@attglobal.net
>Date: 10/14/2003 10:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time

Lexan and Plexiglass also become cloudy over time.

Jim Gaynor

Oct 15, 2003, 4:49:01 PM10/15/03
Is there any kind of label on the glass? Usually etched in one of the
corners. Its possible that it may be a safety glass or laminated. Since the
size of the side light is so large (11" x 58") it will be tough to
meaningfully secure. Just by way of comparison UL standards for burgalar
alarms consider anything larger than 96 inches square(with one side not less
than 6 '') to be a "man sized opening. conventional wisdom would be to use a
dual cylinder deadbolt in an application like this but since the opening is
so large i don't see that it buys you much. The key question is how likely
is it that someone would attack your front door? Is it visible to the street
and neighbors? Is the glass a higher grade than ordinary window pane? And as
others have mentioned, do you have other adequate means of evaquation in
case of fire?

"Joe Bramblett, KD5NRH" <kd5...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam)

Oct 15, 2003, 7:13:16 PM10/15/03
> Lexan and Plexiglass also become cloudy over time.

Part of this is how careful you are in cleaning 'em; they do scratch
more easily than glass. Lexan less so.

For some folks it's still the best option, even if they wind up
replacing the Lexan once or twice a decade.

Putyourspamhere

Oct 15, 2003, 10:40:26 AM10/15/03
>Subject: Re: Window next to front door, deadbolt side -- best way to secure?
>From: "Joe Bramblett, KD5NRH" kd5...@yahoo.com
>Date: 10/14/2003 7:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time

Given that the post you are replying to is almost 5 months old he has probably
fixed it by now if it was a big problem.

kd5...@yahoo.com

Oct 16, 2003, 1:47:00 AM10/16/03
putyour...@aol.com (Putyourspamhere) wrote:

> Given that the post you are replying to is almost 5 months old he has
> probably fixed it by now if it was a big problem.

Damn, I gotta quit switching servers. Long article retention is nice, but
it has its drawbacks.

--
Joe Bramblett, KD5NRH

Putyourspamhere

Oct 16, 2003, 3:19:48 PM10/16/03
>Subject: Re: Window next to front door, deadbolt side -- best way to secure?
>From: "Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam)" kes...@attglobal.net
>Date: 10/15/2003 7:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time

It is true that the stuff scratches easy but it also seems to have to do with
UV exposure as it seems to become cloudy faster when constantly exposed to
sunlight.

Henry E Schaffer

Oct 17, 2003, 9:12:34 AM10/17/03
In article <20031016151948...@mb-m27.aol.com>,

If the OP wants security and doesn't want the big risk (an
unacceptable one IMHO) of having a keyed inside lock - then the security
risk of that large window *must* be taken care of.

Lexan (polycarbonate) is one solution (if the perimeter of the lexan
is securely fastened) - and if it becomes cloudy - so what? It can be
replaced every decade - and I don't think that a requirment of clarity
was stated. Another solution is to replace the large window with a
solid wall. But that may be unacceptable because of esthetics. Yet
another solution that can look good and let in light - is to replace the
window with a decorative window (e.g. stained glass) with a lexan sheet
behind (inside) it. That way the lexan is protected, and cloudiness
becomes less of an issue.
--
--henry schaffer
h...@ncsu.edu

Absinthe

Oct 17, 2003, 9:40:09 AM10/17/03
Another thought that comes to mind is to move it.

From what I have read here it sounds like the window is only on one side of
the door. Perhaps another option would be to reconfigure the door window
such that the door either opens the other way (Great for lefties, but
annoying for the rest of us) or move the window to the other side of the
door (flip the whole thing upside down sort of and rehang the door the other
way.)

Maybe not the best ideas, but certainly worth noting :)

"Henry E Schaffer" <h...@hes01.unity.ncsu.edu> wrote in message

Putyourspamhere

Oct 17, 2003, 2:18:43 PM10/17/03
>Subject: Re: Window next to front door, deadbolt side -- best way to secure?
>From: h...@hes01.unity.ncsu.edu (Henry E Schaffer)
>Date: 10/17/2003 9:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time

All good points. Just through the cloudiness issue out there because I have
known at least one person who was very dissapointed that it wouldn't stay clear
indefinitely.

Joe Kesselman (yclept Keshlam)

Oct 17, 2003, 8:00:35 PM10/17/03
> decorative window (e.g. stained glass) with a lexan sheet
> behind (inside) it.

I like it... though I might suggest the other way around, since that way
the lexan protects the decorative glass. This is partly a question of
whether you want it to look its best from inside or outside, admittedly.

Lamont Payne

Jul 29, 2022, 12:32:18 AM7/29/22

Lamont Payne

Jul 29, 2022, 12:32:18 AM7/29/22