Institutional Locks

J.B. Wood

Nov 5, 2020, 10:59:36 AM11/5/20
Hello, all. In various magazines for school administrators over the
years Master Lock has advertised both their 1500 and 1525 combo padlock
models. Most schools purchased the 1525 (a 1500 w/key override). These
locks are still available but why would an institution want to purchase
the 1525 when keys are easily available to anyone online (e.g. from
CrazyhCactus)? 30 or more years ago obtaining control keys from other
than Master would've been more difficult. I don't think stamping
"Registered Do Not Duplicate" on the key amounts to much more then a
reminder to its possessor. Thanks for your time and comment.

--
J. B. Wood e-mail: arl_1...@hotmail.com

Jay Hennigan

Nov 23, 2020, 3:19:15 AM11/23/20
Decades ago when I was in high school we would just disassemble one
lock and file a key to fit. This was before the Internet and eBay so we
had to be a bit creative.

Keys are also available to anyone with a few dollars, a bit of social
engineering skill, and a nearby lock shop that can cut keys from code.

Locks serve the purpose of slowing down a substantial percentage of the
bad guys. The 1525 accomplishes this.