PLEASE READ HERRING HALL MARVIN SAFE !!!!!

CTucker223

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00
To the 2 people that gave me advice on how to open my safe.THANK YOU! It worked
and it only took 15 mins. I still cant believe what i found inside. A pocket
watch that belonged to my late grandfather, my old baseball cards and a bag of
wheat pennies. This was a dream come true. Again THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.

PS. To the people that kept on telling me to go to a locksmith thanks fo
nothing.Besides being a traffic control tech I own a small company I'm a
recovery diver and sometimes I get people who cant afford my rates or just need
advice on how to start.Well I give it to them for FREE.Sometimes its worth more
then money.

Jay Hennigan

Jan 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/5/00
On 05 Jan 2000 22:20:30 GMT, CTucker223 <ctuck...@aol.com> wrote:
:To the 2 people that gave me advice on how to open my safe.THANK YOU! It worked

: and it only took 15 mins. I still cant believe what i found inside. A pocket
:watch that belonged to my late grandfather, my old baseball cards and a bag of
:wheat pennies. This was a dream come true. Again THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.

That's what Usenet is all about. Congratulations on your success.

:PS. To the people that kept on telling me to go to a locksmith thanks fo

:nothing.Besides being a traffic control tech I own a small company I'm a
:recovery diver and sometimes I get people who cant afford my rates or just need
:advice on how to start.Well I give it to them for FREE.Sometimes its worth more
:then money.

Think of it as "giving something back to the net" when you're able to
help someone who you have never seen by sharing your expertise.

Many of the for-hire locksmiths here fear this type of open exchange of
ideas. They fear that if the public knows their "tricks of the trade" it
will cost them money. Some disguise this fear by suggesting that those
who help others and/or those who ask for help must be criminals.

--
Jay Hennigan - Network Administration - j...@west.net
NetLojix Communications, Inc. NASDAQ: NETX - http://www.netlojix.com/

NSLOCK1290

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
Here you go again Jay. You think you have it all figured out don't you. My
problem with giving out too much information is ETHICS something you seem to
lack.
You see, I may not think the individual asking for the information is a
criminal, but my problem is criminals have easy access to the information you
freely give. If you want to help, try just E-mailing that person individually.
Not spewing your knowledge, or lack of knowledge all over the newsgroup.

Keyman

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
Jay Hennigan

> Many of the for-hire locksmiths here fear this type of open
exchange of
> ideas.

Not this type, I told him that with the holes already in the
Safe that a Locksmith should be able to help him cheap.
What if that Safe had a Tear Gas container in the door ??
Have ya ever heard of relockers ??
A Trained Professional could have made all the difference if the
above was present..

> They fear that if the public knows their "tricks of the trade"
it
> will cost them money.

How could that be ?
The only way that could happen is if they were in the same town
and thats not likely...
I have never worried about such nonsense..
If everyone knew the "tricks of the trade" where would the
Security be ???

> Some disguise this fear by suggesting that those
> who help others and/or those who ask for help must be
criminals.

What fear ?
You have no concept of the reason.

------
Keyman

Keyman

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
"NSLOCK1290" ,

Some will never understand and Jay seems to be leading the pack
~!!!!

--
"Keyman"

.
"NSLOCK1290" <nsloc...@aol.com> wrote in message

> Here you go again Jay. You think you have it all figured out
don't you. My
> problem with giving out too much information is ETHICS
something you seem to
> lack.
> You see, I may not think the individual asking for the
information is a
> criminal, but my problem is criminals have easy access to the
information you
> freely give. If you want to help, try just E-mailing that
person individually.
> Not spewing your knowledge, or lack of knowledge all over the
newsgroup.

> >Many of the for-hire locksmiths here fear this type of open
exchange of

> >ideas. They fear that if the public knows their "tricks of
the trade" it
> >will cost them money. Some disguise this fear by suggesting

Rick

Jan 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/8/00
Seen it, myself.
About 15 years ago a show on the idiot-box called "That's Incredible"
featured a man opening a _really_ old safe. He whacked the dial off the door
with a sledge-hammer, and drove the spindle into the safe with a punch. WE
locksmiths know that this won't work on modern safes for various reasons,
but the dummies that were spending their mid-nights damaging safes to no
profit didn't! One clever fellow knocked the dial off even tho the combo was
written on the door. Another _locked_ an open safe before his heroic effort
at idiocy began. The rash of burglaries that resulted from sharing of
sensitive info on a public forum only really profited the locksmiths,
because the crooks went home empty-handed and the many business managers had
to find someone with the skills to open the damaged containers and repair or
replace them. We sold a lot of those Star safes with the removeable dial.
Seems the dummies couldn't figure how to get to step 2 if the dial was not
available to knock off, first. I'm all for profit, myself, but I won't sell
you a lock that doesn't meet my standards without TELLING you that it
doesn't meet my standards, and I won't disseminate information that can
cause such harm to the general public, nor to just anyone who asks. This
info _is_ harmful if employed by persons of a less-than-honest nature. I
wonder how you sleep at night knowing that some criminals may now be armed
with weapons taken from containers that they couldn't defeat before your
post. May they knock on your door instead of mine.
NSLOCK1290 wrote in message
<20000106122350...@ng-bj1.aol.com>...

johjok...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2020, 9:50:13 AM4/8/20
So what was the trick, I just bought a house and it csme with van old safe hidden in a back room, the combo is on the handle but what “sequence” do I need to follow? It’s a herring- hall Marvin safe

Jay Hennigan

Apr 8, 2020, 8:10:34 PM4/8/20
On 4/8/20 06:50, johjok...@gmail.com wrote:
> So what was the trick, I just bought a house and it csme with van old safe hidden in a back room, the combo is on the handle but what “sequence” do I need to follow? It’s a herring- hall Marvin safe

Turn the dial at least five full turns to the right.

Stop on the first number of the combination.

Then turn the dial to the left, pass the second number two times and
stop the THIRD time the second number comes up.

Then turn the dial to the right, pass the third number once and stop the
SECOND time the third number comes up.

Then turn the dial to the left. If you've done it right, the dial should
lock up and stop turning somewhere near the zero point before you make a
full turn.

Turn handle and open the door.

If the lock has a small silver butterfly-shaped insert in the middle of
the dial it's a bit different.

perronea...@gmail.com

Apr 27, 2020, 8:41:45 PM4/27/20
Hey I myself am trying to get Into a similar safe I thinks it's from the 20s

doneas...@optonline.net

Jun 22, 2020, 11:49:05 AM6/22/20
Hello. I recently purchased a Hall-Marvin safe (locked, no combo). I did manipulate it open. Would anyone be able to help me identify the lock? And possibly the age of the safe? The lock has a flat cover, with no name on it. It’s a 4 wheel group 2 lock. The dial looks similar to a York, but has no lettering on it.

stepo...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2020, 8:45:23 AM6/30/20
There's no handle to turn on the herring hall Marvin safe I'm trying to open. Will it just click and unlatch at zero?

Jon Dresser

Sep 28, 2020, 4:56:26 PM9/28/20
On Tuesday, June 30, 2020 at 8:45:23 AM UTC-4, stepo...@gmail.com wrote:
> There's no handle to turn on the herring hall Marvin safe I'm trying to open. Will it just click and unlatch at zero?

UGH! I can't get mine to open. I have a small "portable?" safe with HHM dial and just a little knob instead of a handle. the combo is written on the outside in two places, and no matter what method I try I cannot get it to open. the combo is 44, 1, 64, 5.
here are some pics of it. https://photos.app.goo.gl/uXEM2CBzMLCER7Kx9

Jay Hennigan

Sep 28, 2020, 11:43:35 PM9/28/20
On 9/28/20 13:56, Jon Dresser wrote:

> UGH! I can't get mine to open. I have a small "portable?" safe with HHM dial and just a little knob instead of a handle. the combo is written on the outside in two places, and no matter what method I try I cannot get it to open. the combo is 44, 1, 64, 5.
> here are some pics of it. https://photos.app.goo.gl/uXEM2CBzMLCER7Kx9

Turn the dial counterclockwise at least four complete revolutions and
stop at 44. Then turn it clockwise and stop the third time it gets to 1.
Then turn it counterclockwise and stop the second time it gets to 64.
Then turn clockwise and the dial should stop turning on its own around
number 5. Pull the door open using the little knob.

If the dial indeed locks up and stops turning, the lock itself is open.
You may need to pry the door open if it is stuck shut with rust or debris.

If this doesn't work repeat but swap clockwise and counterclockwise
throughout.

If the dial doesn't stop on its own you probably don't have the correct
combination.

To re-lock, close the door, then spin the dial a few turns opposite the
direction that caused it to stop turning. However, once you get it open
it might be worthwhile to take it to a locksmith to have the lock
inspected and serviced before closing the door. It's far easier and less
expensive to work on a safe that is open compared to one that is locked.

Jon Dresser

Sep 29, 2020, 7:29:17 AM9/29/20
Thank you for getting back to me Jay. I have tried this method many times. The dial never stops on it's own. :(
Question: how forgiving are these combinations? IE, how much wiggle room is there on the number? can I be off by one in either direction? If I could, then I could try some "trial and error" permutations of the combinations... - are their any common patterns of these? IE, could I reduce the number of different numbers to try if say, the pattern usually had some specified variation between the 1st-2nd, 3rd-4th, etc?

Jay Hennigan

Oct 1, 2020, 3:10:33 AM10/1/20
On 9/29/20 04:29, Jon Dresser wrote:

> Thank you for getting back to me Jay. I have tried this method many times. The dial never stops on it's own. :(

How sure are you that those numbers are indeed the combination? Did it
ever work to open the safe?

> Question: how forgiving are these combinations? IE, how much wiggle room is there on the number? can I be off by one in either direction? If I could, then I could try some "trial and error" permutations of the combinations... - are their any common patterns of these? IE, could I reduce the number of different numbers to try if say, the pattern usually had some specified variation between the 1st-2nd, 3rd-4th, etc?

Typically less than a full number. If the correct number is 44, dialing
43 or 45 won't work. 43 1/2 or 44 1/2 probably will. You could try
increasing all numbers by one or decreasing all by one in case the dial
ring has slipped.

Another thing to try, after dialing the last number, 64, tap the door
with a rubber mallet before turning the dial to open, then turn it about
3 numbers, tap again, etc. What's going on inside is a bar (called a
"fence") resting on notches (called "gates") in the wheels. You might be
able to nudge it into dropping in if something's a bit sticky. Even
tapping on the dial with something like a rubberized screwdriver handle
might do it. I'm not suggesting "beat on it with a hammer" by any means,
use relatively light taps.

Elisa Terra

Jul 3, 2021, 9:19:38 PM7/3/21
I have one with the small silver insert in the middle and S&G on it and it also has 2 white marks outside the dial, one at 12 o'clock, one at 10 o'clock.. Any suggestions on opening this type? I do have the combo but can't open it.