Removing Weiser doorknob cylinder

JJ

Dec 25, 2006, 6:30:23 PM12/25/06
Hi, I've Googled how to pull the cylinder out of a Weiser knob lock.
I'm reading where you pull the tail piece while turning & pulling the
key. Problem is....the tail piece has no pull or push to it. What are
we doing wrong? I need to rekey 5 of these buggers.
Thanks,
JJ

Message has been deleted

Roger Cann

Dec 25, 2006, 8:24:27 PM12/25/06
Depends on what model weiser.
do you see a truarc/snap ring by chance? you will have to remove this to
dissasemble the lock. Most though have the spindle that pulls out a bit.
then you can pop out the cylinder and rekey the lock.
Weiser has a few different designs though. it'll come, just got to play with
it a while..
lol
Roger
"JJ" <nom...@nomail.net> wrote in message

JJ

Dec 25, 2006, 8:26:03 PM12/25/06

<m...@notanywhere.net> wrote in message
> the little thin by almost 3/16" wide tail piece has no give??
> the key will turn a FULL TURN if you are in the proper mode..
> --Shiva--

The tail has no give at all. Inserting the key at the 6 o'clock
position, it will turn 45 degrees to the 9 o'clock position & swing
back past 6 o'clock over to the 3 o'clock position. It will not make
the full turn. This is a brand new lockset....Carlisle model (egg
shaped). That tail just will not move. It will twist, but not push or
pull.
JJ

goma865

Dec 25, 2006, 8:32:08 PM12/25/06

JJ,
Can you show me where your'e googling?

goma.

JJ

Dec 25, 2006, 8:54:26 PM12/25/06

"Roger Cann" <a1.R...@REMOVE.ec.rr.com> wrote in message

> Depends on what model weiser.
> do you see a truarc/snap ring by chance? you will have to remove
> this to dissasemble the lock. Most though have the spindle that
> pulls out a bit. then you can pop out the cylinder and rekey the
> lock.
> Weiser has a few different designs though. it'll come, just got to
> play with it a while..
> lol
> Roger

Hey, thanks, guys. I played around with it & got it open. There's a
hole on the side where a release button was. Even though I had tried
it earlier, it wouldn't release. I went back to that theory &finally
found the magic touch. It's been years since I did lock work. I guess
my bicycle just needed some training wheels. lol
JJ

JJ

Dec 25, 2006, 8:54:50 PM12/25/06

"goma865" <gom...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Sure, I googled, "How to remove Weiser lock cylinder". It sent me to a
thread here in alt.locksmithing.
JJ

goma865

Dec 25, 2006, 9:00:05 PM12/25/06

> Sure, I googled, "How to remove Weiser lock cylinder". It sent me to a
> thread here in alt.locksmithing.
> JJ

JJ,
Yep-the poke-hole.A few times I have had to take a small punch and
gently persuade them.
They get froze-up..even if they are new.

goma.

Message has been deleted

Roger Cann

Dec 26, 2006, 9:41:02 AM12/26/06
Did you have to turn the key and then depress the retainer by chance?
Sounds like wieser's going into schlage mode like so many imports have gone
in the past and future.
Glad you got it off.
good luck and hope you had a Merry Christmas.
Roger

"goma865" <gom...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Stormin Mormon

Dec 26, 2006, 8:52:05 PM12/26/06
Either Schlage mode, or Arrow mode. Lets hope Schlage doesn't go
cheap with their A-line like they did with the F/up line.

Sounds like we'll need some more techniques for Weiser. At least
the fellow didn't have Weiserbolts.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Roger Cann" <a1.R...@REMOVE.ec.rr.com> wrote in message

goma865

Dec 26, 2006, 8:56:24 PM12/26/06
The ones I love are the Harloc-90 degree channels.
Push in-twist to the left till you feel a click-or not-then pull
out-very tight after 30 years-lol

goma.

'Key

Dec 26, 2006, 11:59:15 PM12/26/06
"Roger Cann" <a1.R...@REMOVE.ec.rr.com> wrote in message
> Did you have to turn the key and then depress the retainer
> by chance? Sounds like wieser's going into schlage mode
> like so many imports have gone in the past and future.
> Glad you got it off.
> good luck and hope you had a Merry Christmas.
> Roger

kinda wonder if he actually was dealing with a Weiser ?
many different brands can be bought with a Weiser keyway.

--
"Key"
========

Roger Cann

Dec 27, 2006, 12:13:59 AM12/27/06
Yeah those weiserbolts can be a pain. especially out here on the coast!
and as far as schlage goes I think that was a big mastake with the "F" line.
It's my opinion that the cylinders are crap with the new head/bible design.
I'm surprised thay didn't go with the new Yale copy of harlock with kwikset
depth & spacing and slide over top pin springs that are constantly jaming up
the chambers, more imported trash if you ask me.
oh well enough of the rants and raves..lol
Roger
"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61-&spamblock*-@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Roger Shoaf

Dec 27, 2006, 12:15:03 AM12/27/06

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61-&spamblock*-@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Sounds like we'll need some more techniques for Weiser. At least
> the fellow didn't have Weiserbolts.

The Weiserbolt wasn't a bad knob lock, definitely not my favorite to service
(Especially if you haven't used the cap tool in a year or 2) but not so bad
if you do them from time to time.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Roger Cann

Dec 27, 2006, 12:16:51 AM12/27/06
it's starting to be a real pain to find a good reasonable grade 3 lock
that'll last for residential use.
then again soak'em down with oil and even a baron will last awhile. even
though an import at least the deadlatch is better then the ones kwikset has
been putting out lately.

Roger
"goma865" <gom...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Stormin Mormon

Dec 27, 2006, 4:06:57 AM12/27/06
Lucky me has only worked on two or three Weiserbolts. Someone
made a round tool for removing the threaded on piece on the back
of the plug.

Met a Weiser rep one time, who tried to assure me that his brand
was great quality. The plastic they use for the cylinders is
"Delrin 3, the same plastic they use for space helmets, and never
needs lubrication". I don't think it's relevant about the space
helmets. But, every Weiser I've seen has needed lubrication of
some sort or other.

I got a deadbolt install job earlier this year. Got the
deadbolts, and knobs in Schlage, cause I've had such good results
with them. I will never again reccomend Schlage to anyone
residential. The spring caps are miserable. The drivers are too
short, and they saved 10 cents by making a one piece exterior
knob instead of the old two piece knob.

Had a spring cap fly off, and I wasn't able to get it to stay
back on.

Now, Kwikkie has me worried. The new "do everything" bolts I
don't like. The ones that had the piece that slides out for 2 3/4
backset were a bad idea, and now they have a lift and slide
extender for the knob lock bolts. The twist bolts for the 660
were acceptable.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Roger Cann" <a1.R...@REMOVE.ec.rr.com> wrote in message

Roger Cann

Dec 27, 2006, 9:14:38 AM12/27/06
Maybe this was Schlage's answer to the A-1 Quick pull for F series knobs.
Haven't tryed it on a newer style yet. Oh and that new spring cap is wide
open for salt in my neck of the woods.

I'll tell you that long wieser tool is a Godsend, between that, a good set
of truarc pliers, and a good memory on how the blasted thing came apart. You
ought to be able to rekey the damn thing.

I did like the older style latches by kwikset, but as far as the new ones go
I don't like'em either.

Roger

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61-&spamblock*-@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

Roger Cann

Dec 27, 2006, 12:17:13 PM12/27/06
I agree the cal-royal is a good alternative also the PLS-400X3 Entrance Lock
KW1 PB. I like the latches they come with - round, square and drive-in and
strike plates to match.
I get them both at McDonald Dash.
Roger
> Cal Royal might be worth looking at in their grade 2..
> Doesnt have all the finishes as the Sclag heap, however, the bolt
> is far better than the KW.
> and by my supplier, the cost is not THAT much greater.
>
> --Shiva--

Roger Shoaf

Dec 27, 2006, 2:56:50 PM12/27/06

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61-&spamblock*-@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Lucky me has only worked on two or three Weiserbolts. Someone
> made a round tool for removing the threaded on piece on the back
> of the plug.
>
> Met a Weiser rep one time, who tried to assure me that his brand
> was great quality. The plastic they use for the cylinders is
> "Delrin 3, the same plastic they use for space helmets, and never
> needs lubrication". I don't think it's relevant about the space
> helmets. But, every Weiser I've seen has needed lubrication of
> some sort or other.

The plastic cylinders are OK, I have never seen a failure of that part.
Weiser's weakness seems to be where the knob is attaches to the rose and the
small square hole in the inside knobs.

--
Roger Shoaf

Message has been deleted

Stormin Mormon

Dec 27, 2006, 7:09:22 PM12/27/06
I think their biggest problem was the square hole for the inner
knobs. They did improve when they went to push twist like Schlage
A-line, instead of push the entire knob.

Not had much trouble where the knobs atach to the rose. Except
getting a little sloppy after a few years.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Roger Shoaf" <sh...@nospamsyix.com> wrote in message

Stormin Mormon

Dec 27, 2006, 7:14:13 PM12/27/06
While it's possible Schlage was trying to answer the quick pull,
I suspect the change was cause a one piece outside knob was a
little cheaper to manufacture.

I thought that salt and dirt came through the keyhole, not the
spring cap. I'm expecting the spring caps to start popping off,
in a couple years. Tiny bit of corrosion where they hold on, with
those itty bitty fingers. And then people will notice their locks
not working. Worse if the key hole is bible down.

The old KW latches were a pain, having to stock four styles. But
they did work fairly well. Except self closing kitchen doors,
from kitchen to garage. The dead latch trigger tends to break
off. And then the latch jams.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Roger Cann" <a1.R...@REMOVE.ec.rr.com> wrote in message

Terry Maddox

Dec 27, 2006, 7:03:52 PM12/27/06

"JJ" <nom...@nomail.net> wrote in message

you have to be weiser than the doorknob cylinder...

Roger Cann

Dec 27, 2006, 9:58:39 PM12/27/06
bible down... maybe for a wd-40 drain hole...lol
yeah salt through the keyhole thats a sure thing here. just don't like so
many open spaces on the cylinder.
caps probably going to be like the old nationals after awhile. after a few
hits with the pick gun and next thing you know all the pins and springs will
be rolling around the bottom of the knob.

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61-&spamblock*-@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Stormin Mormon

Dec 27, 2006, 10:25:37 PM12/27/06
Have you worked on one of the new Schlage? The top pins are so
tiny, I wonder sometimes how they work at all. Much like the
Chrysler top pins, but don't seem to be in matched sizes like
Mopar.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Roger Cann" <a1.R...@REMOVE.ec.rr.com> wrote in message

Roger Cann

Dec 27, 2006, 10:50:33 PM12/27/06
Yeah I worked on them alot. we have a Lowe's hardware store 10 minutes down
the street. I worked there for a few years in the late 80's and have been
doing lock work for them ever since.
those little teeth on the pin retainer cap are pretty strong I think as long
as they were never ever ever removed they might hold up.. might! hell,
plastic will rust and corode around here. I don't like the new top pins
like the old chrysler, they're jamming up the top pins and in turn are
stopping the pins dead in there tracks. Garbage!
they don't ask us! Nooooooo.. Yale did send a new rekeying kit free of
charge. I can't remember if I told them or not about the problems with the
new top pin design there're using. Just told them I couldn't find any of the
top pins after market and whoalah, they hooked us up with two kits, one at a
time, twice.

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61-&spamblock*-@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Roger Shoaf

Dec 29, 2006, 2:16:15 PM12/29/06

> Yeah I worked on them alot. we have a Lowe's hardware store 10 minutes
down
> the street. I worked there for a few years in the late 80's and have been
> doing lock work for them ever since.
> those little teeth on the pin retainer cap are pretty strong I think as
long
> as they were never ever ever removed they might hold up.. might! hell,
> plastic will rust and corode around here. I don't like the new top pins
> like the old chrysler, they're jamming up the top pins and in turn are
> stopping the pins dead in there tracks.

I think you have misdiagnosed the older Chrysler problem. My call on the
old Chrysler locks was not a driver problem, but rather when the lock was
with out lubrication accelerated wear would occur on the first pin chamber
causing it to oval. The short pin would then cock and cause the jam.

IIRC Chrysler had no depth in the number one position deeper than a 4 and on
locks pinned with a 3 or a 4 in the first position the problem seldom
occurred, but when it had a 1 cut it was almost a sure thing.

As to the New style F lock drivers, These are designed to be long enough for
pin lengths 3 through 9. If you will note original Schlage keys that are
not part of a masterkey system never use depths 0 to 2.

Next time you have one of the plugs on the bench, drop a #3 pin in the hole
and top it with an F driver. I bet you will find it is long enough.

The shoulder at the top of the driver is cut back to give the spring room to
fully compress if a blank is inserted in the lock with out crushing the
spring. They also use springs that do not taper so it will fit over the
shoulder.

Trouble will occur if some one cheats and tries to pin these locks with a 0
depth or not using the correct driver or spring, otherwise they should be
OK.

Roger Cann

Jan 1, 2007, 1:08:19 PM1/1/07
Roger,
I was referring to the new top pin design used on the Yale locks that "Looks
Like" the old Chrysler pins. The springs are sliding down the top pins and
jamming up the cylinders. Yes I've seen the jammed first pin in the old
Chryslers before. I'll try to be more specific for you next time so I won't
be misdiagnosed and or misunderstood... :-)
Happy New Year.
Roger

"Roger Shoaf" <sh...@nospamsyix.com> wrote in message

Roger Shoaf

Jan 1, 2007, 6:36:54 PM1/1/07
OK no problem. I didn't realize that the New Yale had the problem of spring
slip. Fortunately Yale locks are not common in these parts.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"Roger Cann" <a1.R...@REMOVE.ec.rr.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

Stormin Mormon

Jan 1, 2007, 9:09:24 PM1/1/07
Who mentioned Yale? We're talking about Schlage.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Roger Cann

Jan 1, 2007, 9:59:05 PM1/1/07
lol...
started at weiser.. lol

"Stormin Mormon" <cayoung61-&spamblock*-@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Roger Cann

Jan 1, 2007, 10:02:30 PM1/1/07
I did a few post back, you must've missed that one...
this is what it said btw... damn it's hard to follow the post saometimes...