J. Rubard noms des plumes 7/5/2023

Jeffrey Rubard

Jul 5, 2023, 2:53:54 PM7/5/23
Published book pseudonyms for Jeffrey Rubard (Oregon/US), 1990s-2020s

Fiction:

Russell Banks

T. Jefferson Parker

China Mieville

Dave Eggers

Jacques Roubaud

Paul Auster (less *Country of Last Things*, "by another hand")

Jeffrey Eugenides

John Wray

Jeffrey Lent

Jeff Noon

Andy Weir

Cixin Liu

Tom Rob Smith

Pascal Mercier

Paolo Coelho

Jamie Ford

Martin Solares

David Leavitt

Adam Rapp

John A. Heldt

Adam Levin

Russell Rowland

Edward Rutherfurd (shared, "city books" and *China* by Rubard)

Abdelrahman Munif (backdated to Intifada times, "Munif" not a person known to Arab world)

Laszlo Krasznahorkai

Simon Sebag Montefiore

Richard Russo (less *Mohawk*, "by another hand")

Richard Flanagan

Joshua Cohen

Nick Hornby

Jonathan Littell

Mark Z. Danielewski

Arturo Perez-Reverte

Brendan Mathews

Yann Martel

Roddy Doyle (less first three novels)

Douglas Stuart

W.G. Sebald (backdated)

Stieg Larsson

Anthony Doerr

Tom Drury

Keith Waldrop

M.T. Anderson ("Octavian Nothing")

Garth Greenwell

Wallace Cochran

Antonio Scurati (English texts original)

Domenico Starnone

Mark Helprin

Cormac McCarthy (“general Western life” comp. to Larry McMurtry)

Michel Houellebecq

Eugene Vodolazkin

Rohinton Minstry

History:

Gordon S. Wood

Alan Taylor

John Ferling (shared, 70s-80s books "by another hand")

David Hackett Fischer

Jon Meacham

Ted Widmer

Scott Reynolds Nelson

David W. Blight

David Priestland

Leslie Holmes

Ian Bell

Michael Dobbs (not the Dobbs of *House of Cards* and related series, separate individual)

Robert W. Merry

Richard White

James Sullivan

RJ Smith

Stephen Greenblatt (not the literary criticism)

Matthew Stewart

RJ Smith

Michael Azerrad

Nelson Lichtenstein

Timothy Egan

Tracy Daugherty

Greg Grandin

Bryan Burrough (*Public Enemies*, *Days of Rage* etc.)

Peter Hall

Louis Menand (imitations of William Shawn, etc.)

Simon Sebag Montefiore

Arthur Kempton

Mark Fisher

Robert Fisk

James J. McPherson (backdated, books not available in 1980s)

Taylor Branch

Sociology:

Charlie Bertsch ("Bad Subjects")

Craig Calhoun

William Rasch

Randall Collins (earlier books by another individual)

Göran Therborn (group)

John Roberts (not John Roberts, SCOTUS; fact known to Mr. Roberts)

Don Ross

Derrick Jensen

Gerd Baumann

Enzo Traverso

John Bellamy Foster

Richard A. Lanham (shared with other individual)

Joseph Carroll

Gerd Baumann

Jens Rubart

Hans-Georg Moeller

Michael Bentley

William H. Sewell Jr.

Jeffrey Alexander (less *Theoretical Logic in Sociology*)

John Roemer

Mark Fisher

Jan-Werner Müller

Oliver Zunz

Ulrich Beck

Michael Burawoy

Taylor Branch

Robert Brenner

Philosophy:

Philip Pettit (John Locke Lectures)

Tyler Burge (“Individualism and the Mental” backdated)

Frank Jackson?

Tim van Gelder

Peter Carruthers

Jeff Malpas

Manuel Delanda

Kojin Karatani (group)

R.J. Lipton

Patrick J. Hurley

Peter Godfrey-Smith

Huw Price

Evan Thompson

Kevin Lynch

Domenico Losurdo

Alexander Stern

Ian Hacking

Alain Badiou

Ted Sider (John Locke Lectures)

Axel Honneth

Detlev Claussen

Gilles Dowek

Jean-Luc Nancy

Jean-Pierre Dupuy

Joseph LeDoux

Terrence Deacon?

Eric Baum

Murray Clarke

Joshua Cohen

Paul Guyer

Tyler Burge

Matthew Stewart

Philip Kitcher

Jonathan Lear

Jeffrey Rubard

Jul 6, 2023, 11:43:32 AM7/6/23
"Alain Badiou? And not, say, Quentin Meillassoux? You are too good."
You research these things the way you research them, you know, and not through "hearsay"?

Jeffrey Rubard

Jul 7, 2023, 11:28:48 AM7/7/23
"Jean-Pierre Dupuy isn't too bad either..."

Jeffrey Rubard

Jul 7, 2023, 4:57:20 PM7/7/23
"Why don't you cross-post your remarks on Jean-Luc Nancy here, then?"
Cross-posting is very bad manners, even if only 'in memory of' a functionally useful Usenet.

Jeffrey Rubard

Jul 9, 2023, 11:30:53 AM7/9/23
"Those other people seem to know what they're doing, though."
They're doing what they're doing. As per usual for them, their "first move" is extremely gauche, and then...

Jeffrey Rubard

Jul 13, 2023, 11:22:32 AM7/13/23
"Is 'Jeffrey Rubard' itself a pen name?"
No, it was on my birth certificate.

Jeffrey Rubard

Jul 19, 2023, 2:47:40 PM7/19/23
Update: "Do you suppose any of the 'facts related to composition' changed recently?"
"It's not that simple."
"Oh, it would be."

Jeffrey Rubard

Jul 19, 2023, 6:13:44 PM7/19/23
"No, really, the way we talk about things *can* and *should* talk. It's actually really smart to think that..."
"You can change the way keyboards operated in 2004, so to speak?"
"No comment." #badpostmodernismalert

Jeffrey Rubard

Jul 19, 2023, 6:22:56 PM7/19/23
For the Audience: Um, "there's no time-machine here" is basically how *all kinds* of history as a discipline work...

Jeffrey Rubard

Jul 19, 2023, 6:46:21 PM7/19/23
Wider World: "So you would just guess?"
Yes, you would *just* guess.
"I think that word 'just' is doing too much work here."
It usually does.

Jeffrey Rubard

Jul 19, 2023, 6:48:04 PM7/19/23
"Are you just guessing?"
No. They're substantially pictures of my face - I would 'entertain' theories the author photographs were literally of other people,
but they are never presented.

Jeffrey Rubard

Jul 19, 2023, 6:48:46 PM7/19/23
"But still, it's only reasonable to think..."
That you just *wish* the world was different, and think things should have been 'made to your liking'?

Jeffrey Rubard

Jul 20, 2023, 11:17:45 AM7/20/23
"No, I'm pretty sure that..."
That sounds like fantasizing, and to 'too much point'.

Jeffrey Rubard

Jul 21, 2023, 5:31:21 PM7/21/23
"Am I supposed to ask Paul Auster how he feels about all of this for you, little man?"
No.

Jeffrey Rubard

Aug 14, 2023, 4:16:47 PM8/14/23
"What about Siri Hustvedt?"
That'd be a 'no', too.

Jeffrey Rubard

Oct 4, 2023, 3:24:53 PM10/4/23
"She's a woman."
Sure.

Jeffrey Rubard

Oct 5, 2023, 2:40:37 PM10/5/23
"Is she... your wife?"
No.

Jeffrey Rubard

Oct 29, 2023, 12:10:36 PM10/29/23
"Did you really write those books, though?"
I sure did.

Jeffrey Rubard

Oct 31, 2023, 11:25:09 AM10/31/23
"How can you tell, though?"
That's actually a good question.

Jeffrey Rubard

Oct 31, 2023, 4:04:49 PM10/31/23
Using the 'normal methods' of literary history?

Jeffrey Rubard

Nov 2, 2023, 5:38:05 PM11/2/23
"You're making it up."
I'm not making it up.

Jeffrey Rubard

Nov 4, 2023, 11:40:23 AM11/4/23
"I think we should go ask Alain Badiou about this, actually."
Maybe. I guess you could think that.

Jeffrey Rubard

Nov 5, 2023, 11:48:46 AM11/5/23
Where are you gonna find him, though?
"In Paris, silly."

Jeffrey Rubard

Nov 12, 2023, 11:49:08 AM11/12/23
"What if he doesn't live there anymore, though?"
Yeah, I guess it could be like that too. #noduh

Jeffrey Rubard

Nov 13, 2023, 11:10:12 AM11/13/23
"Maybe he never lived in Paris at all?"
You're getting ahead of yourself. #melenchonybabyindeed

Jeffrey Rubard

Nov 17, 2023, 11:22:26 AM11/17/23
"'Paris in the Present Tense', maybe?"
Oh, you are far too 'arch', dude.

Jeffrey Rubard

Nov 17, 2023, 4:26:25 PM11/17/23
(I did say that I wrote those books, though. It might be 'wrongheaded' but it's not 'trick argumentation'.)

Jeffrey Rubard

Nov 18, 2023, 11:14:05 AM11/18/23
"Like, that's a lot of published texts. I don't think so?"
You make a lot (but not an infinite number) of cars as an auto worker, right?

Jeffrey Rubard

Nov 18, 2023, 5:18:25 PM11/18/23
"What's the point?"
It's an analogy.
"I don't like analogies."
Hmm... oh, well.

Jeffrey Rubard

Nov 19, 2023, 2:14:13 PM11/19/23
"What does Badiou think of analogies?"
They... don't exist?

Jeffrey Rubard

Nov 19, 2023, 2:38:05 PM11/19/23
"Maybe Quentin Meillassoux would have insight on this."
Hmm...

Jeffrey Rubard

Nov 21, 2023, 4:13:15 PM11/21/23
"This all seems incredibly dubious."
Do you know how you actually go about inquiry, 'finding out about things the rational way'?
"TBH, yes, not like this."
Ok, that's good.

Jeffrey Rubard

Nov 23, 2023, 2:38:39 PM11/23/23
Too Old School: "On this day, do you think that David Hackett Fischer would..." No, no I don't.

Jeffrey Rubard

Nov 24, 2023, 4:39:33 PM11/24/23
Poofy Cheese: "No, I think you should ask Hackett Fischer about..." No, I won't.

Jeffrey Rubard

Nov 28, 2023, 6:37:34 PM11/28/23
Too Old School: "Is that a publishing house, 'Hackett Fischer'?" No, Hackett is a publishing house and Fischer is a publishing house in Germany.

Jeffrey Rubard

Nov 30, 2023, 2:09:00 PM11/30/23
Poofy Cheese: "Did David Hackett Fischer work for either of them, then, hah hah?"
Not as a historian of the American revolution, no. (They don't publish books on the topic.)

Jeffrey Rubard

Dec 2, 2023, 11:25:58 AM12/2/23
"What do they publish, then?"
Famous historical philosophers.
"In English?"
Hackett's books are in English, Fischer's are in German.

Jeffrey Rubard

Dec 5, 2023, 3:45:41 PM12/5/23
"I don't believe you."
Anyone knows those statements are true, man. (If they have any awareness of what those publishing houses are.)

Jeffrey Rubard

Dec 7, 2023, 11:29:48 AM12/7/23
"Who would be so 'knowing', though?"
Anyone who had bought a book by either of them?

Jeffrey Rubard

Dec 7, 2023, 11:31:10 AM12/7/23
"I didn't know that."
I guess not?

Jeffrey Rubard

Dec 9, 2023, 4:08:29 PM12/9/23
It's widely-known by people who follow the discipline, though. Hardly an 'elite' piece of knowledge at all.

Jeffrey Rubard

Dec 9, 2023, 4:17:07 PM12/9/23
(So these are people who jibe at any 'factoid' at all, really.)

Jeffrey Rubard

Dec 9, 2023, 4:30:09 PM12/9/23
"Those are some pretty dubious statements."
But they can't be gotten to agree to *anything at all*, no matter how uncontroversial the assertion is.
"Interesting..."
It's pretty easily figure-able.

Jeffrey Rubard

Dec 11, 2023, 11:26:43 AM12/11/23
They're crazy 'tosspot' dictators, that's all.

Jeffrey Rubard

Dec 12, 2023, 4:49:47 PM12/12/23
Wider World:
"I'm not familiar with the word 'tosspot'."
It's not standard US English, sure.

Jeffrey Rubard

Dec 14, 2023, 11:37:02 AM12/14/23
Poofy Cheese:
"Tell me about Nick Hornby."
That record really cost $40, f'reals.

Jeffrey Rubard

Dec 14, 2023, 11:52:51 AM12/14/23
"How's that?"
Like in *High Fidelity*? Businesses can charge what they want for their products.
"Oh."

Jeffrey Rubard

Dec 14, 2023, 11:54:09 AM12/14/23
"What about government boondoggles that cost millions upon millions of dollars, like NASA rockets?"
Take it up with NASA.
"What, 'Artemis' isn't available to help me?"
In so many ways, no, no they're not.

Jeffrey Rubard

Dec 14, 2023, 3:05:24 PM12/14/23
"That seemed, that seemed like a woman I could relate to, the one in the science-fiction novel."
That sort of woman might be both 1) too young and 2) too worldly for you, really.
So just generally, our "needs" don't make a world, okay? #youcantrustmehere

Jeffrey Rubard

Dec 28, 2023, 4:47:49 PM12/28/23
"Did NASA ask Andy Weir's permission to use the theme of 'Artemis' for the mission?"
They didn't have to. #noseriously

Jeffrey Rubard

Dec 29, 2023, 5:08:46 PM12/29/23
"Oh, so of course it would merely be 'in line' with their traditional use of classical mythology as themes for various programs?"
Basically.

Jeffrey Rubard

Dec 30, 2023, 5:10:54 PM12/30/23
"Is that sort of 'public domain' use common?"
Not at all, I don't think.

Jeffrey Rubard

Dec 31, 2023, 2:19:54 PM12/31/23
"So you have to pay them royalties, then?"
Not really. You have to 'respect' their IP rights, not infringe them.

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 2, 2024, 3:40:02 PMJan 2
Not make up stories about them, etc.

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 4, 2024, 11:47:44 AMJan 4
"What do you mean?"
That sort of 'bad fanfic' is a form of plagiarism.

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 8, 2024, 3:32:12 PMJan 8
"Really?"
Yes, I believe it technically counts as 'plagiarism' (and that's not good, either).

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 10, 2024, 4:31:14 PMJan 10
"They really just shouldn't make up stories about an entertainment avatar?"
They really shouldn't.

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 11, 2024, 11:39:31 AMJan 11
"What's the cost, TLDR?"
There are various problems with that idea, actually.

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 12, 2024, 5:49:29 PMJan 12
People can "fall back behind their own object" as they try to connive with a piece of mean-spirited "fan-fic", for one thing.
"Really? Kirk and Spock are gay? Really?"

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 12, 2024, 6:08:31 PMJan 12
It of course could really "infringe" the content creator's rights to control the use of their "avatar", too.

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 13, 2024, 12:13:21 PMJan 13
So, yeah, the "satirical fan-fic" thing is way less of a thing than you think it is.
"When I last saw Cormac McCarthy, he was..." kind of stuff.

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 15, 2024, 2:22:23 PMJan 15
"Well, what was he doing?"
Looking kind of unfoxy, really.

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 17, 2024, 12:20:08 PMJan 17
Poofy Cheese:
"Was he really from Texas?"
No.
"Not even metaphorically?"
Again, no.

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 18, 2024, 11:32:34 AMJan 18
The Joking Section:
"What's 'cormac'?"
It's another word for 'blacktop'.
"Ahh, I see."

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 20, 2024, 12:05:13 PMJan 20
Wider World:
"The title of his book is *The Passenger*, like the Iggy Pop song."
It is. They're 'lexically' the same.

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 22, 2024, 7:27:39 PMJan 22
"Yeah, wow."
"Might you need to tell the two things apart... and need some other standard than their literal names, dear?"

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 23, 2024, 11:59:26 AMJan 23
Wider World:
"One is a book and one is a song, dork."
"Sure. But they have the same 'literal identifier', you would 'call them the same thing' and need to distinguish them like that."

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 24, 2024, 11:37:19 AMJan 24
Less useful: There are two songs named exactly "Wrap It Up", one by the famous soul group Sam and Dave and another
more recent electroclash song by "Whitey".
"Yeah, you might want to tell those apart."

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 26, 2024, 3:13:34 PMJan 26
Wider World:
"What?"
"The other one is on the GTA IV soundtrack. They're pretty much not the same song..."

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 28, 2024, 6:14:03 PMJan 28
"Well, sure, two different things are two different things."

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 29, 2024, 12:18:40 PMJan 29
"Wow, that's insightful."
Okay... so maybe don't 'conflate' things so much then, huh?

Jeffrey Rubard

Jan 30, 2024, 11:27:52 AMJan 30
"What do you mean, 'conflate' things?"
What would you mean by the term?

Jeffrey Rubard

Feb 7, 2024, 2:53:20 PMFeb 7
"Mistake one thing for another, intentionally or unintentionally?"
That seems like a normal use of the word.

Jeffrey Rubard

Feb 8, 2024, 11:24:29 AMFeb 8
"Wouldn't that be a clever thing to do, though, to 'misdirect' people?"
How could you follow what you were doing?

Jeffrey Rubard

Feb 8, 2024, 3:27:38 PMFeb 8
"I think you could, though."
You *guess* you could, more really.

Jeffrey Rubard

Feb 9, 2024, 11:46:02 AMFeb 9
Wider World:
"You seem 'out of your depth', there."
Do you suppose things are always how they 'seem like' to you?

Jeffrey Rubard

Feb 9, 2024, 3:55:57 PMFeb 9
"Honestly, no."
Great. Great insight.

Jeffrey Rubard

Feb 10, 2024, 12:20:29 PMFeb 10
Wider World:
The 'appearance/reality' distinction, not quite in full effect.

Jeffrey Rubard

Feb 14, 2024, 11:53:09 AMFeb 14
Poofy Cheese:
"Oh, but it is."
Recently? Do you suppose this is a new thing? That seems "idealist" or "irrealist" of you.
"No, I guess it would be one of those for-all-time things."
Seems to "militate" for a particular conclusion.
"I guess."

Jeffrey Rubard

Feb 14, 2024, 3:38:19 PMFeb 14
"You presumably mean that there's no need to say things on the order of 'reality's an illusion' or 'you can't understand anything around you', since they are woefully under-funded as hypotheses on account of the problem's anciency."
Sure, that's what I'd think.

Jeffrey Rubard

Feb 14, 2024, 4:20:38 PMFeb 14
Additionally, most people believe in an additional hypothesis of an 'irreducibly external world' not subject to one's whims and desires...