linux timer interrupt stops

Andrew Gower

Nov 10, 2001, 4:21:04 PM11/10/01
I posted about this a few days ago, but I have a much better idea what is
going wrong now, so I'll post again with a far more accurate description.

My problem is that the timer interrupt (interrupt 0) on my linux box
suddenly stops. E.g If I cat /proc/interrupts a few times I can see that the
counters for interrupt 0 have suddenly stopped counting up. (although other
interrupts are still working). The side effects of this are pretty servere,
the system clock stops, various programs break, and the entire linux box
generally keels over a few hours later.

Does anyone know either
a) how I can reset interrupt-0 and resume the system clock without having to
hard reboot the box?
or
b) what might be going wrong, and therefore how I can stop the stupid thing
from stalling in the first place?

I'm going mad trying to fix this problem, I've spent litterally hours
searching using google, but I just can't find a solution. Are my 3 linux
boxes scrap? :-(

My server:
Redhat 7.1, 2.4.9 kernel, Ai7cxxx SCSI controller, 2x1ghz P3 (SMP), Intel
E100 net
card (I am using the e100.o driver not the eepro100.o which had even more
problems). 512meg ECC ram

Andrew

P.S I don't have physical access to the machines which are at a hosting
facility, which always makes things more tricky

Casey

Nov 11, 2001, 1:58:31 AM11/11/01
This is happening to three linux boxes all at the same time?? Must be
something in the water....

Must be time for a distribution switch :-)

"Andrew Gower" <ne...@jagex.com> wrote in message

Đčélürkęd Łăckę˙

Apr 24, 2002, 1:51:24 PM4/24/02
On Sun, 11 Nov 2001 00:58:31 -0600, "Casey" <ca...@jewishpimp.org>
wrote:

>This is happening to three linux boxes all at the same time?? Must be
>something in the water....

Cooling?

>Must be time for a distribution switch :-)

Sounds like one box going ape screwing up two others.
I had equally odd problems with cheapo linksys nics causing computers
to arbitrarily reboot during file transfers(also using telephone-grade
flat cable for an 80-foot run, so...)