Re: Good CAD-programs on Linux

1 view
Skip to first unread message
Message has been deleted

Adam

unread,
Jul 14, 2005, 5:16:28 PM7/14/05
to
>
> Who the hell would want to run CAD software on Linsux crapware, anyway?
>

anyone who didn't want to worry about loosing their work.

marthahadams

unread,
Jul 15, 2005, 10:37:02 AM7/15/05
to
I've been an engineering and an architectural draftsman in earlier
decades, so I know something about drafting. In my time, we worked on
paper, there was a whole technology around it. Now that we are moved
into computer technology, I've played with that and the very first
thing I see about it is,

I don't want a remote, expensive and not necessarily friendly stranger
to hold my work to ransom, just because he (claims he) owns the
software to make it. That's a short definition of vulnerability.
It's not where I want my work of days, weeks, *years* to be.

So I disagree with Mr. Dim Wittie, up this thread. I'm interested to
hear recommendations from people who have used it for serious work, of
what Linux CAD software they feel good about.

Cheers -- Martha Adams


Paul Hovnanian P.E.

unread,
Jul 15, 2005, 9:03:52 PM7/15/05
to

Perhaps you need to consider CAD apps that support open data formats and
standards rather than just the OS.

One candidate, LinuxCAD, supports the AutoCAD .dwg and .dxf formats.
But, if independance from proprietary formats is important to you, just
saving as a proprietary .dwg won't buy you much.

--
Paul Hovnanian mailto:Pa...@Hovnanian.com
------------------------------------------------------------------
f u cn rd ths u r usng unx

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Tim Smith

unread,
Jul 16, 2005, 10:06:18 PM7/16/05
to
In article <42D85CF8...@Hovnanian.com>,

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." <Pa...@Hovnanian.com> wrote:
> One candidate, LinuxCAD, supports the AutoCAD .dwg and .dxf formats.
> But, if independance from proprietary formats is important to you, just
> saving as a proprietary .dwg won't buy you much.

Did they go legit? A few years ago, their main method of marketing was
spamming news groups and sending email spam, they made questionable
claims about their software, and they attacked people who reviewed the
software and pointed out flaws.

Unless they've reformed, and have been clean for a few years, it's
probably a good idea to stay away from them.

--
--Tim Smith

ray

unread,
Jul 16, 2005, 11:26:25 PM7/16/05
to
On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 15:09:49 -0400, Black Dragon wrote:

> ray wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 08:06:40 -0400, Black Dragon wrote:


>
>>> Adam wrote:
>
>>>>> Who the hell would want to run CAD software on Linsux crapware, anyway?
>
>>>> anyone who didn't want to worry about loosing their work.
>

>>> You mean "losing".
>
>>> So what are you saying anyway? That Linux somehow magically prevents CAD
>>> applications from crashing from, say, a bug in the software, and losing
>>> any work that was done since the last save?
>
>> Well, at least the OS doesn't crash!
>
> No operating system is immune from crashes.

I have been running Linux on various machines, usually at least three at
any given time, for about five years. I have NEVER seen a linux system
crash, short of a hardware failure. I have occasionally seen X lock up for
a while, but that's it.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

ray

unread,
Jul 17, 2005, 5:06:43 PM7/17/05
to

> I've seen Linux crash several times. Each time it was brought down by X.
> X is an application. I thought good operating systems couldn't be
> brought down by bad applications? Now FreeBSD, I've never seen it crash,
> but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

I've not seen X crash Linux, though I have seen it lock up for a time.

Linønut

unread,
Jul 17, 2005, 11:12:49 PM7/17/05
to
Black Dragon poked his little head through the XP firewall and said:

> I've seen Linux crash several times. Each time it was brought down by X.
> X is an application. I thought good operating systems couldn't be
> brought down by bad applications? Now FreeBSD, I've never seen it crash,
> but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

I'm not sure what you mean by "crashed". I've had that happen (most
recently by running glxgears). The symptoms are no GUI response and no
NIC response, both of which X covers.

It's as good as a crash, as the machine is unusable until you reset it.

Linux is generally better and faster than Windows, but it has a
singularity or two that can really screw things up.

--
Tux rox!

Tom Shelton

unread,
Jul 18, 2005, 1:16:13 AM7/18/05
to

All I have to do to crash my Gentoo box is enable acpi in the kernel and
run the nVidia drivers. As soon as X starts 'she locks up like a
mother'... I suppose it isn't a crash in the sense of a kernel panic,
but you have to reboot the machine and make sure X doesn't start if you
want to actually use it.

I also had a kernel panic a few months ago killing a process... I'm not
sure what that was about.

--
Tom Shelton

The Ghost In The Machine

unread,
Jul 18, 2005, 2:00:04 PM7/18/05
to
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Paul Hovnanian P.E.
<Pa...@Hovnanian.com>
wrote
on Fri, 15 Jul 2005 18:03:52 -0700
<42D85CF8...@Hovnanian.com>:

> Martha, H, Adams wrote:
>>
>> I've been an engineering and an architectural draftsman in earlier
>> decades, so I know something about drafting. In my time, we worked on
>> paper, there was a whole technology around it. Now that we are moved
>> into computer technology, I've played with that and the very first
>> thing I see about it is,
>>
>> I don't want a remote, expensive and not necessarily friendly stranger
>> to hold my work to ransom, just because he (claims he) owns the
>> software to make it. That's a short definition of vulnerability.
>> It's not where I want my work of days, weeks, *years* to be.
>>
>> So I disagree with Mr. Dim Wittie, up this thread. I'm interested to
>> hear recommendations from people who have used it for serious work, of
>> what Linux CAD software they feel good about.
>>
>> Cheers -- Martha Adams
>
> Perhaps you need to consider CAD apps that support open data formats and
> standards rather than just the OS.
>
> One candidate, LinuxCAD, supports the AutoCAD .dwg and .dxf formats.
> But, if independance from proprietary formats is important to you, just
> saving as a proprietary .dwg won't buy you much.
>

Is it just me or does AutoCAD .DWG == Applicon Graphics System .DWG
files? :-)

We need more three-letter extensions! :-)

Personally, I would hope LinuxCAD does it right and looks for magic
numbers in the file, then converts it to a standard format for later
saving. I'm not sure what that format would be, admittedly -- SVG
isn't even close to sophisticated enough for CAD work (it might work
for physical geometries but that's about it), and I have no idea what
happened after EDIF attempted to standardize electronic CAD format.

--
#191, ewi...@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.

Adam

unread,
Jul 18, 2005, 5:35:52 PM7/18/05
to
if Linux crashes, their is generally a damn good reason for it. now i've
seen windows crash repeatedly due to a weak wi-fi signal. what's the
reason for that? the card? nope, Linux handles the same weak signal just
fine. browsing is really slow, but it doesn't crash. it's the little
things like that that i, and anyone spending long hours on a project,
worry about. the unexpected, stupid reasons for locking up. i'm not
really looking for an argument, just presented a reason why someone
would prefer Linux, and that's a big one. if you're computer uses
hardware from companies with open source drivers, your machine will be
rock solid. the proprietary drivers used in windows really limits what
you do with the hardware that you paid for. like recently my computing
adventures have taught me that windows drivers for wi-fi cards rarely,
if ever, support rfmon mode. sure there are obvious reasons for them
doing things that way, but i want to do with my hardware what i want.
the way big corporations are these days, it seems like it's getting to
the point where its illegal to void your own warrenty. Linux allows a
'no holds barred' approach to my computer explorations.

ray

unread,
Jul 16, 2005, 10:26:00 AM7/16/05
to
On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 08:06:40 -0400, Black Dragon wrote:

> Adam wrote:
>
>>> Who the hell would want to run CAD software on Linsux crapware, anyway?
>
>> anyone who didn't want to worry about loosing their work.
>

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages