I'm a furry and new to Usenet

Kavus Kazian

Aug 9, 2020, 1:05:14 AM8/9/20
At least, I think I'm a furry! If turians count that is. Is this place still active? :)

Ceru

Aug 9, 2020, 2:17:38 PM8/9/20
*bleaties*

Kavus Kazian

Aug 9, 2020, 2:42:17 PM8/9/20
On Sun, 09 Aug 2020 12:06:46 -0400
Dennis Lee Bieber <baron.w...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 22:05:13 -0700, Kavus Kazian <kavus...@dont-email.me>
> declaimed the following:
>
> >At least, I think I'm a furry! If turians count that is. Is this place still active? :)
>
> There are some grey-muzzles monitoring, but one can't say it is active
> -- I show about five threads a year, and some of those are SPAM.
>
> Mostly we get announcements like yours, a few responses, and then
> silence for a few months. Nothing like 15 years ago when we'd have more
> traffic in a single day.
>

> --
> Baron Wulfraed IISS Elusive Unicorn
> baron.w...@earthlink.net (detached)
> http://baronwulfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

That's a shame, Usenet seems really convenient. It's nice to have alllll this stuff in one place. I also love the X-Face concept.

Kavus Kazian

Aug 9, 2020, 2:42:42 PM8/9/20
On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 11:17:37 -0700 (PDT)
Ceru <cerulea...@gmail.com> wrote:

> *bleaties*
*pets* Hi!

Kavus Kazian

Aug 9, 2020, 8:17:39 PM8/9/20
On Sun, 09 Aug 2020 18:29:07 -0400
Dennis Lee Bieber <baron.w...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 11:42:15 -0700, Kavus Kazian
> <kavus...@dont-email.me> declaimed the following:
>

> >That's a shame, Usenet seems really convenient. It's nice to have
> >alllll this stuff in one place. I also love the X-Face concept.
>
> Yeah -- but the modern generation seems to think that
> anything that is text only is unusable, and fractured the community
> into dozens of online-only systems where they can track how many
> people are reading them, etc.

Yeah, I don't really like that. I think this is a pretty cool platform.
Although I suppose some people might want privacy features these days,
like end to end encryption and such. But to me it seems like Usenet is
meant to be more open, and I kind of like that. The spam is a little
annoying but it's not that bad, it's easy enough to tell what is spam
and what isn't.

How long have you been using this anyway?

Kavus Kazian

Aug 10, 2020, 12:58:00 PM8/10/20
I tried to use TIN but couldn't get it to work properly with my Usenet provider (Eternal September). Plus when I discovered X-Face, I really wanted to use one that supported it. I got Pan working, but there's a bug in it currently that makes X-Face not work, so I'm using Claws Mail while I wait for the bug to be fixed.

Nomen Nescio

Aug 11, 2020, 6:19:13 PM8/11/20
tom <t...@invalid.tld> writes:
> [...]
> walled garden centralized networks (even based on open protocols with
> federation stripped out) marketing themselves and open and private and
> "secure", but those are just words. Unfortunately a lot of people do
> not know how to actually test those claims that something is private or
> open and fall for the marketing just because some company claimed it to
> be.
>
> Telegram is a big example of this. They have the buzzwords 'private'
> and 'secure' and 'encrypted' on their website, but you need a special
> client to access their services, there is only one centralized server
> to access and it doesn't federate with anyone else, and all
> conversation logs are stored on the corporation's servers in plaintext.
> In addition to this they claim to respect warrants which means they
> have access to that data. Essentially another data mining operation
> under the guise of buzzwords.
>
> History does repeat itself. This same exact thing happened with EMAIL
> and AOL. AOL used SMTP for it's internal messaging service but you
> could only contact other AOL users with it because AOL forcefully
> turned off the ability to send email to external hosts. This meant you
> were in a siloed walled garden and could not email with all the people
> on smaller ISPs. By the time AOL reversed this change consumers had
> already gotten privy to the fact and had an expection to be able to
> email anybody they wanted with an email service. When AOL fixed their
> servers it was too late and people were leaving in droves.
>
> This is the state instant messaging currently is in. Eventually open
> XMPP federation will win out just like SMTP email did in the early 90s.
>
> People have already tried to clone social media like twitter but with
> federation and have made things like Plemora, GNU Social, and Mastodon;
> but as these systems simply cloned the Twitter social media model they
> brought along a lot of the same problems Twitter has even though it's
> not centrally controlled anymore. Like the Twitter medium itself seems
> to promote inflammatory short quips designed purely to attract the most
> eyeball time. Social media engineers designed their platforms this way
> in order to exploit the human psyche to maximize advertisement exposure
> time and surveillance capitalism.
>
> I think the open social media clones will eventually die out as well
> and We will come back to an open system as society and consumer
> expectations mature. Especially with all the shady big tech companies
> and Chinese influence people are getting more and more aware of their
> freedom when it comes to computing. I think forum-like systems will
> probably come after instant messaging though.
>
> Communities have even started to pool together guides and rating on
> what is spyware and what isn't, how free something is etc. Sites like
> the Spyware Watchdog https://spyware.neocities.org/ and writers are
> getting together to self-publish on their own websites here:

I think you meant to post it to both alt.privacy and
alt.lifestyle.furry.

Chrysi Cat

Aug 13, 2020, 11:34:08 PM8/13/20
On 8/9/2020 10:06 AM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 22:05:13 -0700, Kavus Kazian <kavus...@dont-email.me>
> declaimed the following:
>
>> At least, I think I'm a furry! If turians count that is. Is this place still active? :)
>
> There are some grey-muzzles monitoring, but one can't say it is active
> -- I show about five threads a year, and some of those are SPAM.
>
> Mostly we get announcements like yours, a few responses, and then
> silence for a few months. Nothing like 15 years ago when we'd have more
> traffic in a single day.

Hi! Sorta-grey-muzzle here who started with a teranews account and moved
to UsenetServer.com when teranews lost posting privileges most places,
but has never posted in THIS group. My first email program was Pine at U
of Denver, but I never bothered to access Usenet until just AFTER the
standard ISPs stopped running complimentary server access (I was
distracted enough with surfing the Web instead of doing my homework at
DU; after I flunked out the family finally had home access, but since it
was AOL I thought that their walled-garden discussion groups were
sufficient. So I had the opportunities to be here in '97 but wouldn't
have known it existed.

That said, I'm a kit(ten) compared to most of the semi-active members;
only 20 years UNDERSTANDING that I identify furry (which means it
started sometime between when I was 20 and 23), no active interaction
with the RL fandom (I TRIED to patronise Cafe Fur in Denver, but it had
closed a month prior; but I've had no money for a con appearance and the
only way I want to have fur in public is via genmod, not suit), and my
only montary support has been to Romeo Rabbit the past two years during
his pledge drive, and a standing donation to ND.Net so that I have
access to Terence and Isabel's commentary archive.

I'm also a kit in the other sense, in part because it was obvious even
18 years ago that I wasn't going to be able to keep wearing big-girl
panties anyway, and it's slightly less depressing to act like you need
them because you're too immature than that you're likely gonna fade from
the scene way too soon.

First furry webcomic was probably Doemain, though the one that was the
gateway to the majority of what else I followed was K&K (The exception
is that Doemain either led to Vinci and Arty, which led to Jack, or I
found Jack first, followed Arty to his home comic and then saw the link
to his appearance IN Jack), which in turn I found via a "Catgirl
Sighting!" posting on the TWC version of the forum for El Goonish Shive.
Always THOUGHT about ordering Shanda Fanstasy Arts products before I
lost the income to do so (so between 2000-2003,) but wasn't sure my LCS
had the proper understanding of how to check THAT box with Diamond Previews.

Am I the only one who would be willing to grow fur and a tail and fix my
ear shape but couldn't be convinced to suit for ANYTHING? Though
admittedly if I had to give up my ability to taste sweet, let alone
accept chocolate being able to poison me, I wouldn't even grow the furry
parts.

--
Chrysi Cat
Transgoddess, quick to anger.

Kavus Kazian

Aug 16, 2020, 1:39:30 AM8/16/20
Hi Chrysi! I've never heard of basically everything you mentioned,
other than Denver University and AOL. But I've only been a furry for
about 12 years. I'm sort of on the edge of it, since I identify more as
an alien than a furry. But I've always been part of the fandom since
discovering it. I have two sonas, Silent-Hunter and Kavus Kazian.
Silent is a vanguard, a species from a series of erotic novels by
LINCARD1000. Kavus is a turian, from the Mass Effect series.

I'd go for genmod too, I've always felt I was born the wrong species. x3

Kavus Kazian

Aug 16, 2020, 1:42:45 AM8/16/20
Aww damn, my X-Face didn't work! I fixed it now though. Can your Usenet
client display those? I hope so, it shows my sona, Kavus. :3

critter

Aug 16, 2020, 1:50:01 PM8/16/20
Huh. Just ran nn on this system and it ran, so of course had to look in
on alf. Kinda miss Homestead, was a far cry from the modern huge
cons.

Unfortunately my fingers have forgotten how to use nn, been so long.

Be safe and well, furiends.

- Critter a Greymuzzle

Cuddly Battleship Kattywampus

Aug 26, 2020, 9:49:04 PM8/26/20
I must say, I am fairly amazed to have seen a conversation with new users that are non-bots!
Greetings to you, fellow graymuzzles!

--Kattywampus

tom

Aug 28, 2020, 7:11:55 PM8/28/20
On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 09:57:57 -0700
Kavus Kazian <kavus...@dont-email.me> wrote:

Just recompiled claws with xface support. I see it!

Kavus Kazian

Aug 29, 2020, 2:09:28 AM8/29/20
Awesome! I'm a turian. I don't know if you ever played Mass Effect, but
they're from that.

Kavus Kazian

Aug 29, 2020, 2:10:09 AM8/29/20
I dunno if 32 years old is a greymuzzle!

tom

Aug 29, 2020, 2:34:47 AM8/29/20
On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 23:09:27 -0700
Kavus Kazian <kavus...@dont-email.me> wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 16:12:56 -0700
> tom <t...@invalid.tld> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 09:57:57 -0700
> > Kavus Kazian <kavus...@dont-email.me> wrote:
> >
> > > I tried to use TIN but couldn't get it to work properly with my
> > > Usenet provider (Eternal September). Plus when I discovered
> > > X-Face, I really wanted to use one that supported it. I got Pan
> > > working, but there's a bug in it currently that makes X-Face not
> > > work, so I'm using Claws Mail while I wait for the bug to be
> > > fixed.
> >
> > Just recompiled claws with xface support. I see it!
> >

> Awesome! I'm a turian. I don't know if you ever played Mass Effect,
> but they're from that.

I haven't, but it reminds of a really old cartoon called ben 10 or
looks like something out of teen titans

tom

Aug 30, 2020, 5:21:50 AM8/30/20
On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 23:10:08 -0700
Kavus Kazian <kavus...@dont-email.me> wrote:

> I dunno if 32 years old is a greymuzzle!

No, that's gandalfmuzzle

lo just kidding

Smrgol

Aug 31, 2020, 8:21:34 AM8/31/20
I'm 66. I've been furry since before you were born, kid. :)
-};>~

Kavus Kazian

Sep 1, 2020, 3:10:01 PM9/1/20
I've actually never seen those before.

Kavus Kazian

Sep 1, 2020, 3:11:06 PM9/1/20
How did furries communicate before BBS and the Internet? How did you
find each other?

Smrgol

Sep 2, 2020, 8:25:44 AM9/2/20
I'm not sure - I only "found" furry in 1998, so the web was already up and active.
-};>~

tom

Sep 3, 2020, 1:31:31 AM9/3/20
On Wed, 2 Sep 2020 05:25:43 -0700 (PDT)
Smrgol <smr...@optonline.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 1, 2020 at 3:11:06 PM UTC-4, Kavus Kazian wrote:
> > On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 05:21:33 -0700 (PDT)
> > Smrgol <smr...@optonline.net> wrote:

> > > I'm 66. I've been furry since before you were born, kid. :)
> > > -};>~
> > How did furries communicate before BBS and the Internet? How did
> > you find each other?
>
> I'm not sure - I only "found" furry in 1998, so the web was already
> up and active. -};>~

probably comic conventions.

Smrgol

Sep 3, 2020, 7:45:12 AM9/3/20

> probably comic conventions.

Nope! On a link on the internet in early September 1998.
Started here: http://triggur.org/silo/
Which led to here: http://triggur.org/coqo/
Which led to the now defunct Fursuit Ring
Etc, etc, etc ...

-};>~

Aquilux Raptor

Sep 3, 2020, 1:30:04 PM9/3/20
To my understanding it was mostly through other conventions (anime and scifi) and zines, and if you were lucky enough to know someone else in person.

In related news, there's the first in a series of documentaries about the fandom (made by an in-fandom film maker) that I've seen getting overall good responses about the generalized history of the fandom, with a promise of more focused installments later to drill down on subjects they had to gloss over in this first one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv0QaTW3kEY

*re-engaging lurk mode*

a random furry on the Internet

Sep 21, 2020, 7:55:53 AM9/21/20
On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 1:05:14 AM UTC-4, Kavus Kazian wrote:
> At least, I think I'm a furry! If turians count that is. Is this place still active? :)
yo another person here in 2020

Kavus Kazian

Sep 22, 2020, 4:28:15 PM9/22/20
I think Usenet is nice, no ads and no other weirdness a lot of web
stuff has. And it's consistent in design between forums.

a random furry on the Internet

Sep 22, 2020, 7:40:12 PM9/22/20
thank god it's not dead here

a random furry on the Internet

Sep 22, 2020, 7:43:40 PM9/22/20
how do you start a new convo?

Sfner

Sep 22, 2020, 8:48:02 PM9/22/20
> how do you start a new convo?Assuming you're on Google Groups from a desktop browser, you click the
"New Conversation" button on the top-left of the page.

Assuming you're getting notifications from GMail, you send an email to
alt.lifes...@googlegroups.com .

Assuming you're on Thunderbird or an equivalently similar email client,
you click the "Write" button and write as if it'd be an email.

a random furry on the Internet

Sep 22, 2020, 8:48:48 PM9/22/20
i can't post by email

Lakiya Windstalker

Sep 23, 2020, 6:33:32 AM9/23/20

20 years ago ALF was known as Homestead to many. I was lucky enough to know this place back then. I have met friends and dear ones here who since have passed on. I was a pup then and now I am growing old. Many furs indeed met here, Mucks and Moos were also popular at the time. (Oh, btw, the Internet has been active since the late 70s, I didn't discover it until was a teenager in the 90s, and back then it was all about AOL. America Online. , eventually free hosted portal websites took off and discovering furry content from there wasn't far off.)

Welcome! <^.^>

Kavus Kazian

Sep 25, 2020, 4:01:22 AM9/25/20
I've used three MUCK/MOO servers, but I haven't been on any in a while.
Thanks for the welcome! I'm glad this place is still around, although
I'm sure it's less active than it was back then.

phoebe

Oct 16, 2020, 9:11:59 PM10/16/20
this is all adorable - i love reading this history. (maybe not a
greymuzzle, i'm 29)

i think there is a weird surge of interest in usenet lately... well,
demonstrably, considering that there are two other new users here. i
chalk it up to everyone being stuck in their rooms during pandemic
times. i've been setting up my own news server to explore usenet /
figure out where people are talking / try and make things a little more
appealing and less hostile to others. it is a bit of a process and slow
going though, but anyway leafnode is up and (slowly) syncing, and i've
been writing some statistics scripts and spam filters :)

i agree that there is a huge appeal to usenet. i love this interface and
the minimalism quite a lot. everything's in order, i just see what i
want to see. can't say the same about twitter.

happy to see you all, hope things are going ok in your worlds.

Kavus Kazian

Oct 16, 2020, 11:59:48 PM10/16/20
Things are good for me! Honestly, I'd been meaning to check out Usenet
for years, but just never got around to it.

phoebe

Oct 20, 2020, 12:39:14 AM10/20/20
yeah same, but it's been an adventure! a lot of strange little pockets
of activity...

got sick enough with dealing with spam while clicking around that i
moved from thunderbird to slrn to make things a bit more tolerable :p

Kavus Kazian

Oct 20, 2020, 3:19:43 AM10/20/20
I'm using Claws Mail, I tried Pam, but X-Face support is broken and I
really wanted that. I dunno if you can see it or not.

phoebe

Oct 20, 2020, 8:32:04 AM10/20/20
i didn't see it in thunderbird, and now i definitely don't see it in slrn
(since it's text-based), i think claws works on osx too but i haven't
messed with it too too much yet.

i've been pretty pleasantly surprised with the amount of activity in
groups, definitely some, uh, interesting figures to talk to around.
cheers me up that the furry groups seem to be the friendliest ones
around.

Nomen Nescio

Oct 26, 2020, 4:36:56 AM10/26/20
phoebe <reactor.deliv...@gmail.com> writes:

> i think there is a weird surge of interest in usenet lately...

Too much censorhip going on on social networking platforms, so people
are looking for other ways to express themselves freely.

That's my guess.

Nomen Nescio

Oct 26, 2020, 4:37:56 AM10/26/20
phoebe <reactor.deliv...@gmail.com> writes:

> i've been pretty pleasantly surprised with the amount of activity in
> groups

Which groups are you thinking of? If that's not a secret.

Mechasquirrel

Nov 1, 2020, 8:19:27 AM11/1/20
Chrysi Cat <chry...@gmail.com> wrote in

> [...]
> gateway to the majority of what else I followed was K&K (The exception
> is that Doemain either led to Vinci and Arty, which led to Jack, or I
> found Jack first, followed Arty to his home comic and then saw the
> link to his appearance IN Jack), which in turn I found via a "Catgirl
> Sighting!" posting on the TWC version of the forum for El Goonish
> Shive. Always THOUGHT about ordering Shanda Fanstasy Arts products
> before I lost the income to do so (so between 2000-2003,) but wasn't
> sure my LCS had the proper understanding of how to check THAT box with
> Diamond Previews.
>
> Am I the only one who would be willing to grow fur and a tail and fix
> my ear shape but couldn't be convinced to suit for ANYTHING? Though
> admittedly if I had to give up my ability to taste sweet, let alone
> accept chocolate being able to poison me, I wouldn't even grow the

Ahh, Teranews. Best $3.95 I'd ever spent. Got started on Usenet back in
98 when I got my first dial-up account. (prior to that was all dial-up
BBS'es on an old 386sx... Ever spent a couple hours downloading a 200kb
jpeg just to find out your comp is too old and slow to actually view it?
I have! lol) Think I started with Mail & News on Win95, and my isp's
news server. It was like night and day when I switched to Xnews and
Teranews. With Hamster in the middle so I could just dial-up, yoink, and
disconnect, and not tie up the phone constantly.

And Furrynet. Was a sad day when its last server finally died. Every now
and then I'll fire up my ancient Hamster install and reminisce through
the bits I have saved. (most of fur.* from 98-99 to the end, started
with everything news.fur.com had when I redid Hamster one time and
decided to yoink the whole thing)

Tried to get myself to MFM several times back in the early 00's... Every
time I'd get serious about going, my truck would die expensively
anywhere from a few weeks to the day before, and I finally gave up.
(Seriously now. Two transmission swaps and multiple clutches in less
than a decade? I don't drive the thing /that/ hard...)

Modern furry is just too scattered to really keep up with, and most
websites are pretty much impossible to find new interesting things
hidden among the piles and piles and piles of generic latex-skinned
furry that everything seems to be nowadays. (Remember back when people
would talk about their favorite brush for making fur in whichever art
program? Actually drawing the floof seems to really not be much of a
thing any more...)

Most of my internet time nowadays is spent keeping up with a small pile
of webcomics, reading random fanfiction, lurking a few discords, and
half an eye kept on twitter. Much less so with twitter anymore. It's a
mess.

And yes, real functional changes would be most excellent (given that
I could keep my over-sugared coffee with a nip of cocoa, of course), but
suits... Ehh, might convince me to put on a headband with fuzzy ears for
the lols, but that'd be about it and even that would take some pretty
good effort on someone's part. I'd rather have the real thing. XD

--
Mechasquirrel
(and now, back to lurking all the lurks)

tom

Nov 1, 2020, 7:29:06 PM11/1/20
On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 21:11:56 -0400
phoebe <reactor.deliv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> this is all adorable - i love reading this history. (maybe not a
> greymuzzle, i'm 29)
>
> i think there is a weird surge of interest in usenet lately... well,
> demonstrably, considering that there are two other new users here. i
> chalk it up to everyone being stuck in their rooms during pandemic
> times. i've been setting up my own news server to explore usenet /
> figure out where people are talking / try and make things a little
> more appealing and less hostile to others. it is a bit of a process
> and slow going though, but anyway leafnode is up and (slowly)
> syncing, and i've been writing some statistics scripts and spam
> filters :)
>
> i agree that there is a huge appeal to usenet. i love this interface
> and the minimalism quite a lot. everything's in order, i just see
> what i want to see. can't say the same about twitter.
>
> happy to see you all, hope things are going ok in your worlds.
I'd be interested in picking your brain what running a USENET server is
like, and also ways your trying to make it more appealing to newcomers.

Kavus Kazian

Nov 1, 2020, 11:33:05 PM11/1/20
Is it possible to share these Hamster files? I'm curious to see.

Mechasquirrel

Nov 2, 2020, 2:58:35 AM11/2/20
Kavus Kazian <kavus...@tutanota.de> wrote in news:20201101203303.6aa90e89
@micropc:

> Is it possible to share these Hamster files? I'm curious to see.

Uhh... Hrmm...

Would have to give me some time to see what I could put together, just fur.* is 2GB or so
uncompressed, but I'd need to move that bit over to a clean install that didn't have the other
20-someodd gigs of stuff and things from ages past. And it's been /years/ since I last dug that
deep into the backend of the program...

I'll probably need to do all the things inside a windows vm, too, as while everything runs fairly
okay on Wine like I'm using it now, well, lets just say there's definitely some quirks. XD

But... Yeah. This might take a bit.

--
Mechasquirrel

tom

Nov 2, 2020, 3:00:13 AM11/2/20
I would greatly appreciated a compressed tarball of those archives
preferably in mbox or maildir format. I also offer my assistance in
creating those archives =3

Kavus Kazian

Nov 2, 2020, 3:41:53 AM11/2/20
Oh no rush! I just love old stuff like this.

Mechasquirrel

Nov 2, 2020, 11:59:35 AM11/2/20
-----------------------------

https://mega.nz/folder/qY9WmAjR#5uT10n-Kmi7WZHs61D8BHA

2.4GB (4.3 uncompressed) of FurryNet in Probably-Mbox format, 7zipped.

-----------------------------

Finally got everything to export correctly. (I think... The commandline
tool was just as buggyaf as I remembered, but a quick test and they all
seemed to import into Thunderbird 16 just fine...)

I had grand plans of putting all of it into a new instance of Hamster,
and bundling it along with Xnews as a pre-configured all-in-one archive
browsing setup, but, yeah, that dang commandline tool would just
silently die trying to import the binary groups, and no way to do it by
menu.

And I don't have a way to see if I could fix the tool, because my
Delphi 5 key expired over a decade ago. XD

So, in the interest of just going ahead and getting it out there,
here it is.

Anyways, have fun exploring some of the good ol' days!

--
Mechasquirrel
(Ow, my poor data cap... T-T )

Kavus Kazian

Nov 3, 2020, 4:14:56 PM11/3/20
Thanks! I'll check this out.

tom

Nov 5, 2020, 2:38:06 PM11/5/20
Hello all,

I made a torrent of all the files and recompressed them into a fast,
yet still small files for those that have trouble
downloading from the mega link full of nonstandard javascript. Please
seed this so that others may download as well

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:f99f8583957ba68dc5c01d2b7d0a748c7d8fa58b&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3a6969%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.cyberia.is%3a6969%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.opentrackr.org%3a1337%2fannounce

If your archiver program does not recognize .zst, try renaming or .Z or
use http://www.zstd.net/