Even more lifestyle questions

Direwolf

Oct 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/1/00
I have some questions on your lifestyle choices that might be influenced by
furriness, or if being furry is just who you are so you don't know how it
influences you, then just say what your preferred lifestyle seems to be.
(What a nice run on sentence that is.)

These questions are more intended for your RL self, however you can also say
what your furry persona (if any) is like as well for comparison.

Sorry if some of my questions might be repeats of the Furvey or Thervey or
other -vey. But perhaps you can go into more depth, and new furs might not
have seen the Furveys of furs who have been around awhile.

Conventions: Do you attend conventions? If so, which ones and are any
furry conventions? If not, do you hope to attend any in the future? (The
rest is for those who have been to a convention, if not then you can skip to
the next set of questions now). Would you attend a convention that was not
furry? Is going to conventions important for your expressing and feeling
furry? Do you wear a fursuit to conventions? Would you recommend going to
conventions to others? If so, which conventions and why? What do you do at
conventions? Is that common for conventions goers, or is it just want you
happen to do? Do you have any convention stories to share with Homestead?

Food: Ok, I have asked about meat and veggies, but how about a few general
food questions. What do you like to eat? Do you actually cook? Do you
like your food rather simple and plain or complex? Spicy, bland, or in
between? What condiments do you use often? What spices do you prefer to
use? What style of cooking do you like (either that you do yourself, or you
just seek out)? Do you prefer any particular type of ethnic food? Do you
eat with your hands or with normal utensils, or something else? Do you eat
primarily one type of food, or do you like a well rounded meal? How many
times a day do you eat? Any meal you particularly like, or one that you
always seem to skip? Are any of your choices influenced by furriness in any
way? Have your food choices changed because of furriness? Do you have any
recipes to share?

Names: Is your real name furry in any way? (You don't have to give your
real name if you don't want to). Have you or might you legally change your
name to something that better expresses your furry nature? The screen name
you use on alf, why did you choose it? Any other names you use that have a
particular meaning for you? If you could have any name, what would it be?
Do you think there is power in a name?

--
Direwolf
http://www.direwolfsden.com

Atara

Oct 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/1/00
Direwolf wrote:

Well, I'm feeling introspective tonight.

> Conventions: Do you attend conventions? If so, which ones and are any
> furry conventions?

I've attended AC99 and AC2K.

> Would you attend a convention that was not furry?

Yep. I have other interests, and it's healthy (IMO) to have a variety of
hobbies.

> Is going to conventions important for your expressing and feeling
> furry?

Not really. I go to conventions to catch up with folks I don't see
often, and to buy stuff. The moon would be just as bright, sunsets would
be just as beautiful, and wildlife would be just as fascinating if I'd
never gone to a convention.

> Do you wear a fursuit to conventions?

I would if I had (a finished) one.

> Would you recommend going to conventions to others?

Depends on the person.

> If so, which conventions and why?

If they're more fandom (ie, art) oriented, I would recommend Confurence.
Fursuiters should go to FurtherCon. If they are interested in both the
fandom and lifestyle aspects, I would recommend AC and Midwest FurFest.
And if they want a nice laid back con, go to Mephit.

> What do you do at conventions?

Attend panels and workshops. Browse through the dealers' room. Catch up
with friends. Lounge around chatting. Take pictures. Have fun.

> Is that common for conventions goers, or is it just want you
> happen to do?

There is a small subset of congoers who go simply to play on the
computers, or to hang out in the hang-out area. The rest seem to do what
I do.

> Food: What do you like to eat?

Food. Rocks and dirt make my mouth hurt.

> Do you actually cook?

I almost burned my apartment down making tater tots once. I am a very
bad cook, although I am learning. I *can* grill a good burger, tho, and
my toasted cheese is awesome (although George Foreman should take most
of the credit for that...)

> Do you like your food rather simple and plain or complex? Spicy,
> bland, or in between?

My tastebuds are decidedly unadventurous. I tend towards rich, garlicy
Italian foods. Spicy food is a good way to put me in a coma.

> What condiments do you use often?

Salt. Ketchup once in a while.

> What spices do you prefer to use?

Spices? No idea. I usually buy pre-mixed spice jars - "broiled steak"
spice or "lemon chicken" spice.

> What style of cooking do you like (either that you do yourself, or you
> just seek out)? Do you prefer any particular type of ethnic food?

Italian, and blander Mexican food. German dishes.

> Do you eat with your hands or with normal utensils, or
> something else?

I love forks. I'm not comfortable picking at my food. I'm learning to
deal with chopsticks.

> Do you eat
> primarily one type of food, or do you like a well rounded meal?

When I cook for myself, I'll make two servings of the same item (pasta,
soup, whatever) and just have that for a meal. If I'm cooking for
someone, I make several dishes. When I'm eating by myself, I can't be
bothered to make more than I have to.

> How many times a day do you eat?

Typically two and a half. I'll eat something when I get up (around
10am), and I'll have something for "lunch" (around 4:30pm), and then
I'll make a snack when I get home from work (about 9:45pm).

> Any meal you particularly like, or one that you
> always seem to skip?

I have a hard time eating breakfast. If I eat too soon after getting up,
I feel sick.

> Are any of your choices influenced by furriness in any
> way?

Only by how furry they get in the fridge - the furrier they are, the
longer they've been in there, and the less I want to eat them.

> Do you have any recipes to share?

(This sounds totally gross, but trust me - it's fantastic.)

Have spaghetti for dinner. Keep the spaghetti clean - don't put sauce on
all the noodles. Wrap the clean noodles up in plastic wrap and save them
for lunch the next day...

The next day, pull out the spaghetti and chop the sticky block into
one-inch squares. Fry the spaghetti in butter (or margarine) and bread
crumbs. I don't know how much breadcrumbs you need - just until the
spaghetti will be fairly well covered in crumbs.

Serve the fried spaghetti hot, with ketchup. Mmm, mmm. Delish! =)

> Names: Is your real name furry in any way?

Not that I know of.

> Have you or might you legally change your
> name to something that better expresses your furry nature?

No... I'm going to have a bad enough time getting everything switched to
my married name.

> The screen name
> you use on alf, why did you choose it?

"Atara" was chosen on the spur of the moment when I was at some log in
screen that asked for a handle, many years ago. The guy at the computer
next to me was looking at Atari stuff, so I'm sure that had some effect
on my pick. Atara also means crown in Hebrew, and there is a Xena slash
author who goes by "Atara."

> Any other names you use that have a
> particular meaning for you?

Me = AKA: Jalene, Jalandra, Pippi, Shard, Blondie, Banana Butt. (Don't
ask.)

> If you could have any name, what would it be?

I'm perfectly happy with mine.

> Do you think there is power in a name?

Only in the meaning of credit reports and school loans.

--
Atara
"I've got a pantheon of animals | a t a r a [ a t ]

Allen Kitchen

Oct 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/1/00

Direwolf wrote:

> Conventions: Do you attend conventions? If so, which ones and are any
> furry conventions?

I attend Anthrocon, MFM (when possible) and Akon (which is anime.) I have
in the past attended other sundry SF cons like Aggiecon, but alas, such
are far and few between out here in the sticks.

I've never tried a real fursuit though some one attempt was bad enough
that I'll likely not try again. At least not till I can sew worth a stitch.

> Food: Ok, I have asked about meat and veggies, but how about a few general

> food questions. What do you like to eat? Do you actually cook? Do you

> like your food rather simple and plain or complex?

I eat a variety of things. But once in awhile I like a real honest-to-god
steak that I've grilled to my exact tastes. Lots of pepper, lots of
worchestershire sauce, lots of Soy, lots of onions and garlic. If the fat
isn't charred around the edges, then it ain't done.

I'm usually heavy into veggies; but that's a learned behavior and it breaks
down at the drop of a hat.

> Names: Is your real name furry in any way?

Nah. And I don't want to change my name. My real name will be confusing
enough for future generations to figure out.

Allen Kitchen (shockwave)

Nebulous

Oct 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/1/00

Direwolf wrote
> Conventions:

I've been to several SF comventions, not any furry ones.

> Food:

Yes, I cook. I like to eat complex meals, but I prefer to fix simple ones.
Spicy is good. Tobasco, mustard (dijon or honey mustard) A-1 steak sauce
are my usual condiments. Spices: Garlic, pepper, garlic, organo, basil,
garlic, rosemary, garlic, chili powder. Did I mention garlic? I don't
really have any favorite styles or ethnic foods, it depends on what I feel
like at the time. I haven't got telekinetic use of a fork perfected yet,
so I have to use my hands (to hold the fork) ;). I prefer well rounded
meals, but when I'm in a hurry I don't always take the time to fix several
foods. Two meals, a couple of snacks. I've never been able to eat
breakfast, I don't feel like eating anything for a couple of hours after I
get up, and by then I'm usually at work. The only effect on my food
choices is by the green fur. ;)

> Names: Is your real name furry in any way? (You don't have to give your
> real name if you don't want to).

No, but part of my furry screen name has a weird relationship to my real
name. I was looking at a site about clouded leopards and came across a
list of names used in different countries. A name from Taiwan was
'Rikulau'. This jumped out at me because of the similarity to my real
name,(Richards, Louis). I immediately added it as a surname for Nebulous.

> The screen name
> you use on alf, why did you choose it?

Well, Nebulous is basically the species name of the clouded leopard. It
also expresses my uncertainty in many of the issues that a lot of people
have rigid points of view about (politics, religion, sexuality, etc.). I
have an (apparently) unusual ability to see several sides to most
questions, and I can't tell which, if any, of the sides are correct. :/

> Do you think there is power in a name?

Yes, I think it is something of others' expectations of what someone with a
particular name should be like.

--
Nebulous Rikulau
My furcode

Delcanth

Oct 1, 2000, 10:33:26 PM10/1/00
>I have some questions on your lifestyle choices that might be influenced by
>furriness, or if being furry is just who you are so you don't know how it
>influences you, then just say what your preferred lifestyle seems to be.
>(What a nice run on sentence that is.)

>Conventions:

Never been to one, not interested in them. Partially because of my general
indifference and lack of interest to most of the furry fandom, partially due to
the questionable crowd that can gather at such conventions, and partially
because long-term exposure to large, noisy crowds tends to be harmful to my
sanity.

>Food:

I'm a slightly picky eater, but I like pretty much any type of food. I do
cook, and I prefer meals to be short and simple. Spiciness is a plus. Steak
sauce is one of my preferred ingredients with whatever it's compatible with,
same with soy sauce. Meals are sporadic and come around whenever I'm hungry.
'Furriness' hasn't changed my preferences; what I like is what I like.

>Names:

My real name is biblical in nature, which is rather unfortunate due to my
radical change in religion from Christianity to 'agnostic neopaganism'. I
would like to change my name, but it seems horribly complicated and a general
horrid time to do. The name Delcanth is simply a name I chose because it
sounded nice and came off the tongue rather easily. A name can give a sense of
identity, so yes, it could have a sort of power in it.

--

Delcanth - recluse, scholar, knower of very little
DC2.DwGmL30fWTwllSksCgy+Bf-A(v+r-)Fr-N-MH$-FoR++Ac+JSU--I-VQTc-Df+

"And what it all comes down to/ Is that I haven't got it all figured out just
yet." -Alanis Morissette, "Hand In My Pocket"

Relee

Oct 1, 2000, 10:42:22 PM10/1/00
>Conventions:

I think I would very much like to attend a furry con one day.

>Food:

I like food. I like eating. My favorite foods are bread, pizza, fish
'n' chips, hamburgers (Almost any variety of hamburger), chocolate,
various fruits and fruit dishes and the garden salads they make at the
'East Side Mario's' restarunt, which is one of my favorite places.
(They make good food)

My favorite drinks are Magic Potions (My little nick name for
Coca-cola) Apple Juice, Chocolate Milk, and coffee made by my extended
relatives.

Those lists are in no particular order.

>Names: Is your real name furry in any way? (You don't have to give your

>real name if you don't want to). Have you or might you legally change your
>name to something that better expresses your furry nature? The screen name
>you use on alf, why did you choose it? Any other names you use that have a
>particular meaning for you? If you could have any name, what would it be?

>Do you think there is power in a name?

My real name, from it's roots, could mean anything from king of the
forest to slackjawed hick. :P

I don't know if I'd change my name legally unless I used it in
conversation alot. I only use the name Relee very often online,
although I'd use it if any of us met irl, most likely.

My name, Relee, is the name that I have. It's my real name, not my
given name. It's not really a good idea to tell you all 'cause it can
be used as a sort of remote locator if you're looking for me with good
or bad intent.

I have one other name, but it's private and personal and I'm not going
to tell you, at least not now.

Oh and one other thing, three names I may be known as by someone.

Norit the Pixie Doctor (check out www.game.org, if you decide to go
in, be a pixie and you can meet some of my old friends.)

Fizbanus, and Spy Mouse, were my two main characters on Furcadia, all
that time ago. (A long time ago, in a galaxy that we're still in right
now)
--
"A hug makes a great gift. One size fits all, and it's easy to exchange."

Relee the Squirrel - ICQ - 26927574

Amy-Neko

Oct 1, 2000, 11:49:07 PM10/1/00

>Conventions: Do you attend conventions? If so, which ones and are any
>furry conventions?
I finally went to my first convention last summer. It wasn't furry though..It
was Anime Expo 2000. I'd like to go to a furry con someday.

If not, do you hope to attend any in the future?

Er.. see above, hehe.

(The
>rest is for those who have been to a convention, if not then you can skip to

>the next set of questions now). Would you attend a convention that was not
>furry?
Sure, I already have >^.^<

Is going to conventions important for your expressing and feeling
>furry?

Eh, no not really.

Do you wear a fursuit to conventions?

Hmm, it's a half-fursuit.

Would you recommend going to

>conventions to others? If so, which conventions and why?
Sure, I'd reccomend it..If you like recieving little to no sleep, large crowds,
and going broke! *giggles* But really, the con I went to was a great
experience, and I can't wait to do it again. >^.^<

What do you do at
>conventions?

Watch anime, buy stuff and draw...oh yeah, and cosplay >^.^<

Is that common for conventions goers, or is it just want you
>happen to do?

Nope, fairly common con stuffs!

Do you have any convention stories to share with Homestead?

Sure! While I was at AX2000, I ran into another furry fan, and he was all
decked out with buttons and pins..and he was holding a Reality Check comic.
There was also a little girl standing next to him who looked up at me and said
very proudly "I'm a furry too!!" She was so cute...*snickers*

>Food: Ok, I have asked about meat and veggies, but how about a few general
>food questions. What do you like to eat?

Just about anything...just as long as it doesn't have onions in it.

Do you actually cook?
Yep!! And I'm pretty good at it too.

Do you

>like your food rather simple and plain or complex? Spicy, bland, or in
>between?

Lots of flavor.. yep yep!!

What condiments do you use often?

Barbecue sauce. I put that stuff all over everything!!

What spices do you prefer to
>use?

Lemon pepper stuff..I put that all over everything too.

What style of cooking do you like (either that you do yourself, or you
>just seek out)?

Home cooked is my fave.

Do you prefer any particular type of ethnic food?

I loooooove Japanese and Chinese food.

Do you
>eat with your hands or with normal utensils, or something else?

*snickers* I use my hands whenever I can get away with it. I also use
chopsticks frequently.

Do you eat
>primarily one type of food, or do you like a well rounded meal?

Uh.. well rounded works for me.

How many
>times a day do you eat?

1 and a half. I have some little snack at lunch time..the only full meal I eat
is dinner.

Any meal you particularly like, or one that you
>always seem to skip?

I always skip breakfast and lunch.

Are any of your choices influenced by furriness in any
>way?

Hmm..I seem to love seafood a lot...but strangely enough, I hate tuna. Meow!
>^.^<

Have your food choices changed because of furriness?

Nope.

Do you have any
>recipes to share?

Er... I can't find my okonomiyaki recipe!!

>Names: Is your real name furry in any way? (You don't have to give your
>real name if you don't want to).

Amy doesn't seem that furry ta me..*grins*

Have you or might you legally change your
>name to something that better expresses your furry nature?

Nah, I actually kinda like my name.

The screen name
>you use on alf, why did you choose it?

Hmm..I chose Amy-Neko because It just popped into my head and it seemed to fit.
My name is Amy, and I'm a cat.(Being obsessed with anime as well helped with
that decision..*grin*)

Any other names you use that have a
>particular meaning for you?

Well, my AOL screen name is The InnocentDark, and I chose that because I'm
kinda dark, yet very sweet. It also seems to fit my feline side, because when I
picture myself as a cat, I'm black and slinky...*grin*

If you could have any name, what would it be?

Lillith, or Lily...I've always loved those names.

>Do you think there is power in a name?

Yep. >^.~<

~Amy-Neko~

~*~"Every night I burn, scream the animal scream..."~*~The Cure
~*My Furcode: FFDmpw1acdrs A+ C*>+ Dm+++ H- M- P+++ R T++ W- Z Sf- RLU a16 c+
d? e- f++ h* iwf++ j++>++++ p+ sf-
~*My Homepage: http://homepages.go.com/~animeflavoredfurr

Perriloux

Oct 2, 2000, 1:42:02 AM10/2/00

"Direwolf" wrote :

> Conventions: Do you attend conventions? If so, which ones and are any
> furry conventions?

I've been to three Anthrocons, Confurence and Further
Confusion.

> Would you attend a convention that was not
> furry?

I've been to a few gaming conventions. I enjoyed them
but I'd rather be at a fur con.

> Is going to conventions important for your expressing and feeling
> furry?

That and besides it's a lot of fun.

> Do you wear a fursuit to conventions?

I did once and am now trying to improve the design for
next year.

> Would you recommend going to
> conventions to others?

I'd only suggest going to a fur con only if one was really furry or
else you'd probably not like it.

> If so, which conventions and why?

I've enjoyed myself at every con I've been to. I'd say the
Anthrocons have more of what I like in a convention.

> What do you do at
> conventions?

The best things about them is meeting all thoes furs I
only get to chat with over the net. The fandom is very diverse
and it leads to all kinds of interesting conversations.
Of course I always hit the dealers room and say "Hi" to some
of my favorite artists. Buy a few prints and an arm full of comix.
The charity auction is always interesting. Lately the dances
have been a real blast.

> Food: Ok, I have asked about meat and veggies

Veggies ? Ick.

> What do you like to eat?

Spanish, East Indian, Japanese habatchi dishes. Yum !

> Do you actually cook?

I looove to cook ! Breakfast is my speciality. :)

> Do you
> like your food rather simple and plain or complex? Spicy, bland, or in
> between?

Yes to all. I tend to go spicy if given a choice tho.

> What condiments do you use often? What spices do you prefer to
> use? What style of cooking do you like (either that you do yourself, or
you
> just seek out)? Do you prefer any particular type of ethnic food? Do you
> eat with your hands or with normal utensils, or something else? Do you
eat
> primarily one type of food, or do you like a well rounded meal? How many
> times a day do you eat? Any meal you particularly like, or one that you
> always seem to skip? Are any of your choices influenced by furriness in
any
> way? Have your food choices changed because of furriness? Do you have
any
> recipes to share?

I've been watching cooking programs since I was a very
young kit. I've used many many different spices. I like so
many ethnic foods it would probably be easier to name the
ones I don't like. That would be a short list too. :)

I like a well rounded meal and have been known to eat with
my hands. My furriness really has nothing to do with my
eating except that foxes are omnivorous anyway. That's
just a coincidence.

> Names: Is your real name furry in any way? (You don't have to give your

> real name if you don't want to). Have you or might you legally change
your
> name to something that better expresses your furry nature? The screen
name
> you use on alf, why did you choose it? Any other names you use that have
> particular meaning for you? If you could have any name, what would it be?

> Do you think there is power in a name?

My RL name isn't furry at all but I wouldn't go changing
it. I like it fine. It took about an hour to choose my screen
name. I've used a few others in the past but none I really
cared to use. I wanted something unique.

--
\\
/\_/\ ll

Spamsux. So take it out of my address.

Mark Wells

Oct 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/2/00
On Sun, 01 Oct 2000 23:08:05 GMT, "Direwolf"
<dire...@polarcommhuman.com> wrote:

>Conventions: Do you attend conventions? If so, which ones and are any

>furry conventions? If not, do you hope to attend any in the future? (The

Sure. I'm the organizer of the North Modesto On Sisk Road Between
Standiford And Pelandale Furmeet, with a total attendance of...two.
But we're working on three. But I think it would be a little
pretentious to refer to it as an actual 'convention' until we have at
least five.

>Food: Ok, I have asked about meat and veggies, but how about a few general

>food questions. What do you like to eat? Do you actually cook? Do you

>like your food rather simple and plain or complex? Spicy, bland, or in

>between? What condiments do you use often? What spices do you prefer to

>use? What style of cooking do you like (either that you do yourself, or you
>just seek out)? Do you prefer any particular type of ethnic food? Do you
>eat with your hands or with normal utensils, or something else? Do you eat
>primarily one type of food, or do you like a well rounded meal? How many
>times a day do you eat? Any meal you particularly like, or one that you
>always seem to skip? Are any of your choices influenced by furriness in any
>way? Have your food choices changed because of furriness? Do you have any
>recipes to share?

Ethnic, preferably spicy. Chinese, Japanese, Italian, Mexican, Thai,
Ethiopian, as long as it's not bland or greasy. Szechuan.

I typically eat twice a day: 'lunch', at about 3:00, and 'dinner', at
midnight.

I cook for myself on occasion, and usually make chicken stir fry or
some kind of vaguely Italian chicken-and-pasta dish.

Recipes: I generally don't follow recipes, but I could provide recipes
for Italian sauteed chicken or enchilada casserole on request. Email
me.

>Names: Is your real name furry in any way? (You don't have to give your
>real name if you don't want to). Have you or might you legally change your
>name to something that better expresses your furry nature? The screen name
>you use on alf, why did you choose it? Any other names you use that have a
>particular meaning for you? If you could have any name, what would it be?
>Do you think there is power in a name?

My name is "Mark Wells", which isn't furry at all. I don't think I'd
change it.

The name I use on ALF is "Mark Wells", because that's my legal name.
I'm accustomed to the hacker culture, which values personal reputation
and considers aliases annoying and a little bit pretentious.

The only nickname I have is 'Fanon', bestowed on me by a friend who
was learning Quenya. She was 'Tindomerel' for a while, until I found
that she didn't yet know what it meant but was in danger of finding
out, at which point she became 'Saelindil'.

vix...@my-deja.com

Oct 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/2/00

> Conventions: Do you attend conventions? If so, which ones and are
any
> furry conventions? If not, do you hope to attend any in the future?

I wish! The closest thing I've gone to would be the bi-yearly
Rennesaince (I don't know how to spell it, so sue me! :) fair. This
season's I actually went in costume thanks to my friend who made the
dress for me. The closest thing I saw there that was furry was real fox
tails (Oh the inhumanity >.<) I think if I ever made it to a furry con
I'd probably have -something- Rennesaunce (Still didn't spell it right,
oh well. Hope everyone's fluent in typo :/)

> Food:
Preffered foods:
Breakfast: Chocolate
Lunch: Chocolate
Dinner: Chocolate

Seriously though, I just eat when I'm hungry. Often I'll ignore hunger
if a few furiends are online and willing to play out a few RP
scenes. :) I basicly eat whatever the 'rents serve for dinner or
whatever's in the fridge. I don't think any of my food choices are
influenced by my being furry (then agian, I never notice what I eat
besides chocolate :)

> Names: Is your real name furry in any way?

As a mater of fact it is. Leah in hewbrew means weary or cow. Moo..>.<
I wouldn't change it since I'm terrible at thinking up names! :P I
mean really, Fire-Vixy for a fiery vixen?? I must really need a name
consultant :)
Oh there are definantly powers in names. After all, whatever name it is
(given or chosen) it's your identity at one time or another.

Fire-Vixy

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Coyote Red

Oct 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/2/00
"Direwolf" <dire...@polarcommhuman.com> wrote:

>I have some questions on your lifestyle choices that might be influenced by
>furriness, or if being furry is just who you are so you don't know how it
>influences you, then just say what your preferred lifestyle seems to be.
>(What a nice run on sentence that is.)

*appraises it* Yes, very nice. :P

>Conventions:

I've never been to any conventions, but I read about them
enthusiastically! *grin* If I could work out scheduling in the future,
I would try to attend one. I guess the rest of the questions here
don't really apply to me.

>Food: Ok, I have asked about meat and veggies, but how about a few general
>food questions. What do you like to eat? Do you actually cook? Do you
>like your food rather simple and plain or complex? Spicy, bland, or in
>between? What condiments do you use often? What spices do you prefer to
>use? What style of cooking do you like (either that you do yourself, or you
>just seek out)? Do you prefer any particular type of ethnic food? Do you
>eat with your hands or with normal utensils, or something else? Do you eat
>primarily one type of food, or do you like a well rounded meal? How many
>times a day do you eat? Any meal you particularly like, or one that you
>always seem to skip? Are any of your choices influenced by furriness in any
>way? Have your food choices changed because of furriness? Do you have any
>recipes to share?

I keep my cooking to a bare minimum. It's safer that way. :)

I'll eat most anything, actually... if I'm hungry, I find that what's
on my plate becomes largely irrelevant. ^..^ That said, though, I
love spicy food (especially Thai - yum), and I've been known to go
crazy with the salt shaker on occasion.

Generally I'll eat with utensils. I guess I'd prefer a well-rounded
meal if I had a choice, but it doesn't really matter. I always eat
breakfast and dinner, but I'll tend to skip lunch and just snack
throughout the afternoon. I don't really think my furriness has
influenced my eating habits (I know coyotes'll eat whatever they can
get their paws on, but that's just a coincidence, I think, heh).

>Names: Is your real name furry in any way? (You don't have to give your
>real name if you don't want to). Have you or might you legally change your
>name to something that better expresses your furry nature? The screen name
>you use on alf, why did you choose it? Any other names you use that have a
>particular meaning for you? If you could have any name, what would it be?
>Do you think there is power in a name?

>--
>Direwolf

My real name is Adam, which is obviously a very biblical name. I have
considered changing it, but I don't know if I would go through with it
or not... I'd need to really sit down and think it over. I mean, like
the name or not, I've had it for all of my 18 years - I'm used to it.
:)

I use Coyote Red as my name because, well, I really like it.
Actually, I originally chose it for an Internet handle because just
Coyote was taken in most places. So I added what was then an
arbitrary color/word... and it just stuck. Now I can't imagine
calling myself anything else. I use it online all the time; it really
is more of a second name than a handle now. Geeze, sometimes I'll
even sign "Red" on emails to my family! ^..^

There is definitely power in a name. Your name is who YOU are, and
knowing *that* is powerful indeed.

C.R. ;)
--
"I had to fantasize just to survive" ~ cocteau twins, 'evangeline'

Duncan da Husky

Oct 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/2/00
Direwolf wrote:
>I have some questions on your lifestyle choices [...]

Whee! More questions! (I'm working on tabulating the first set - maybe
sometime this week, if it's possible at all)

>Conventions: Do you attend conventions?

You betcha!

>If so, which ones and are any furry conventions?

Anthrocon, Mephit Furmeet, Midwest Furfest

>Would you attend a convention that was not furry?

Sure - went to a Capricon (an SF con) earlier this year, actually.

>Is going to conventions important for your expressing and feeling furry?

Only for the purposes of establishing any kind of sense of furry community.
What makes me furry comes from within, as do the expressions and feelings
of such.

>Do you wear a fursuit to conventions?

Nope.

>Would you recommend going to conventions to others?

Absolutely, but with the caveat that many times whether one has a good time
or not at a con is up to you - if you go with the intent of feeling
depressed because everyone is ignoring you, guess what's going to happen?

>If so, which conventions and why?

Depends on what you're looking for. I don't know about CF or FC, but of the
cons I know, Anthrocon is great to get an overall sense of the community,
but terrible for actually make any in-depth contact (a function of size,
really). To hang out with friends and actually spend time with furs, I
recommend MFM or (plug, plug) Midwest Furfest.

>What do you do at conventions?

Look for familiar faces. Volunteer as often as possible. Organize trips to
Outback Steakhouse. Host Scotch Tastings. Walk through the Dealer's Room
and Art Show, though rarely do I buy anything. Occasionally, I actually
attend some of the programming, but that's pretty rare.

>Is that common for conventions goers, or is it just want you happen to do?

Nah, that's just me.

>Do you have any convention stories to share with Homestead?

I can repost my old con recaps if you like :-)

>Food: What do you like to eat?

A broad mix of meat (all kinds) and vegetables. Oddly, the only fish I like
is sushi.

>Do you actually cook?

Yes! I love to cook.

> Do you like your food rather simple and plain or complex?

Complex - I'm a fan of Italian and French cuisines and have been known to
spend hours in the kitchen perfecting a dish.

>Spicy, bland, or in between?

In-between. I can't deal with capsicum too well, though I love horseradish.

>What condiments do you use often?

If I must, I'll probably use mayonaisse, but I'd prefer to make that myself
(mmmm, aioli...)

>What spices do you prefer to use?

Basil, oregano, thyme, Herbes de Provence (a mix of those three, plus
lavendar and a few other herbs)

>What style of cooking do you like (either that you do yourself, or you
>just seek out)? Do you prefer any particular type of ethnic food?

Again, I really enjoy Italian and French cuisine, though I also like sushi,
Mexican, Tex-mex, Chinese, and Japanese.

>Do you eat with your hands or with normal utensils, or
>something else?

Utinsils, usually.

>Do you eat primarily one type of food, or do you like a
>well rounded meal?

Oh, definitely a well-rounded meal. Ideally, a meat, a starch, and greens,
or variations on those themes.

>How many times a day do you eat?

Three.

>Any meal you particularly like, or one that you always seem to skip?

Not particularly, though of the three I most enjoy a well-prepared dinner.

>Are any of your choices influenced by furriness in any way?

No, not really.

>Have your food choices changed because of furriness?

Not particularly.

>Do you have any recipes to share?

Heh. What d'you want to make? I and my cookbook library stand at the ready!

>Names: Is your real name furry in any way?

Nope.

>Have you or might you legally change your name to something that better
>expresses your furry nature?

Nope.

>The screen name you use on alf, why did you choose it?

I had spent seven years in the Society for Creative Anachronism prior to
finding ALF, and Duncan was a name that I was used to answering to. "Husky"
came a few months later, as I found what animal best described me. "da" is
a bit of conceit that I find well describes me - aristocratic and snobbish
at times (d'Husky) and lighthearted at other times (da silly husky).

>Any other names you use that have a particular meaning for you?

Nope.

>If you could have any name, what would it be?

Truth to tell, I'm fine with either Duncan or Tom.

>Do you think there is power in a name?

There is power in a True Name. I don't know what mine might be, but I doubt
it's either of the above.

-Duncan da Husky, who feels an odd compulsion to fill out surveys

Tom Brady tab...@concentric.net http://www.technomancer.com/~duncan
Furry: Duncan da Husky SCA: Duncan MacKinnon of Tobermory
"I spent most of my childhood being terrified by the question 'Am I
normal?' I'm relieved now that I now know for sure that I am not."
- Tom Limoncelli

Whoolf

Oct 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/2/00
"Direwolf" <dire...@polarcommhuman.com> wrote:

>I have some questions on your lifestyle choices that might be influenced by
>furriness, or if being furry is just who you are so you don't know how it
>influences you, then just say what your preferred lifestyle seems to be.
>(What a nice run on sentence that is.)

Yep, pretty good! ;-)

>These questions are more intended for your RL self, however you can also say
>what your furry persona (if any) is like as well for comparison.
>
>Sorry if some of my questions might be repeats of the Furvey or Thervey or
>other -vey. But perhaps you can go into more depth, and new furs might not
>have seen the Furveys of furs who have been around awhile.
>

>Conventions: Do you attend conventions?

Unfortunately not yet. I had planned to visit two furry cons this year, but
according to some very unpleasant happenings I couldn't visit them.

>If not, do you hope to attend any in the future?

Yes, I hope it.

>Food: Ok, I have asked about meat and veggies, but how about a few general

>food questions. What do you like to eat?
Fish. I could eat fish every day. All sorts of fish. I haven't find any fish I
don't
like, yet.

>Do you actually cook?
Very rare. But I like to read recipes. And when I found something very
interesting, I have to try it.

>Do you like your food rather simple and plain or complex?

_Very_ simple and plain, but is has to be good looking.

>Spicy, bland, or in between?

Spicy !!

>What condiments do you use often? What spices do you prefer to use?
Salt. Very hot ketchup and mustard. As a furry I use Loewensenf (lion-
mustard)

> What style of cooking do you like (either that you do yourself, or you
>just seek out)?

Italian, Mexican.

>Do you eat with your hands or with normal utensils, or something else?

Sometimes, when I am alone I use my hands. (Little sausages, chicken
and salads) Apart from that I prefer normal utensils.

>Do you eat primarily one type of food, or do you like a well rounded meal?

I don't like to eat too much at the same time therefore primarily only one
type.

> How many times a day do you eat?

Different. From one to four times a day.

>Any meal you particularly like, or one that you always seem to skip?

Shrimps, plaice. I skip everything with spinach and I am not allowed to
eat beans, peas and something like that. But sometimes I eat it though.

>Are any of your choices influenced by furriness in any way?
No

>Have your food choices changed because of furriness?
No

>Do you have any recipes to share?
Nothing special.

>Names: Is your real name furry in any way? (You don't have to give your
>real name if you don't want to).

Hmmm. Frank Andreas Mertins. Is there something furry in it? I doubt it.

>Have you or might you legally change your name to something that better
>expresses your furry nature?

Whoolf, Wolf or Gepard (cheetah) sounds very seductive. But I don't think
I will change my real name.

>The screen name you use on alf, why did you choose it?

I felt a connection to wolves and I wrote some stories about a wolf-like
being called Whoolf and . . . I simply like the name. I also kept the name
when I changed into a cheetah.

> Any other names you use that have a particular meaning for you?

I use no other name.

>If you could have any name, what would it be?

Simply Whoolf

>Do you think there is power in a name?

Yep. Names can be attractive but also be disgusting.
It's also said, if you know the 'real' name from someone, you can control
him/her.

Whoolf
--

The lion may be the king
but the cheetah is the prince

FFHm1dfw A+ C- D- H M- P+ R+ T+++ W Z+ Sf+ RLTI a++ cn+ d+ e f+ h i+ j p- sm
ICQ 64052809

LionkingCMSL

Oct 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/2/00
Homestead RR Bulletin dated Sun, 01 Oct 2000 23:08:05 GMT, from "Direwolf"
<dire...@polarcommhuman.com> had this important message:

>I have some questions on your lifestyle choices that might be influenced by
>furriness, or if being furry is just who you are so you don't know how it
>influences you, then just say what your preferred lifestyle seems to be.
>(What a nice run on sentence that is.)
>

>These questions are more intended for your RL self, however you can also say
>what your furry persona (if any) is like as well for comparison.
>
>Sorry if some of my questions might be repeats of the Furvey or Thervey or
>other -vey. But perhaps you can go into more depth, and new furs might not
>have seen the Furveys of furs who have been around awhile.
>
>Conventions:
>Do you attend conventions?

Yes

>If so, which ones and are any furry conventions?

Various cons, both furry and non-furry.

>If not, do you hope to attend any in the future?

N/A

>(The rest is for those who have been to a convention, if not then you can skip to

>the next set of questions now). Would you attend a convention that was not
>furry?

Yes

>Is going to conventions important for your expressing and feeling
>furry?

No

>Do you wear a fursuit to conventions?

Yes. :=3

>Would you recommend going to conventions to others?

Yes, definitely!

>If so, which conventions and why?

AC for now, as that's the only one I can make. :=3

>What do you do at conventions?

Wander around and meet people/furs. Sit in some of the "tracks".

>Is that common for conventions goers, or is it just what you happen to do?

I would assume that's what most con goers do.

>Do you have any convention stories to share with Homestead?

YEs, and I already have shared them. :=3

>Food: Ok, I have asked about meat and veggies, but how about a few general
>food questions.
>What do you like to eat?

As I said before, I'm on a "sea food diet". I "see food" and I eat it. :=3

>Do you actually cook?

Yes

>Do you like your food rather simple and plain or complex?

Both. Depends on my mood.

>Spicy, bland, or in >between?

Again, both. It also depends on my mood.

>What condiments do you use often?

A-1 Steak Sauce,

>What spices do you prefer to use?

Allspice is my favorite spice.

>What style of cooking do you like (either that you do yourself, or you
>just seek out)?

No particular style, just as long as the food is good!

>Do you prefer any particular type of ethnic food?

SAA

>Do you eat with your hands or with normal utensils, or something else?

Depends on the food and the setting.

>Do you eat primarily one type of food, or do you like a well rounded meal?

A well rounded (and I don't mean a pizza) and balanced meal is what I prefer.
What I get, ...

>How many times a day do you eat?

At least 3 times at day if I can. sometimes less.

>Any meal you particularly like, or one that you always seem to skip?

Like most Americans, I tend to skip a good nourishing breakfast. :=/

>Are any of your choices influenced by furriness in any way?

No

>Have your food choices changed because of furriness?

No

>Do you have any recipes to share?

My homemade soup and spice cake come to mind. :=3

>Names:
>Is your real name furry in any way? (You don't have to give your real name if you don't want to).

Well, you tell me: Donald E. Miller, Jr. Doesn't sound furry to me. :=3
And, no I'm telling what the "E." stands for. :=3P

>Have you or might you legally change your name to something that better expresses your furry nature?

I have jokingly thought about it, but I would never change my legal name.

>The screen name you use on alf, why did you choose it?

Not again! :=3
Anyways, LionKing is self explanatory. The "CMSL" comes from my using the
initials of the railroad I work for (Cape May Seashore Lines) to set me apart
from all the other "Lion King" 's out there.

>Any other names you use that have a particular meaning for you?

My C.B. (Citizen's Band) "handle" is "Railroader". I think you can tell why that
has a special meaning to me. BTW, my car is the "Lion's Den". Hmmmm, where have
I seen that name mentioned here on alf? :=3

>If you could have any name, what would it be?

Lowen Kind. German for Lion's Child. :=3

>Do you think there is power in a name?

Well if you hear or see the names:
Adolf Hitler
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Winston Churchill
Napoleon Bonaparte
Julius Caesar
etc.

What do you think of.

Yes, a name can hold power.
--
LionkingCMSL - The railroading lion. :=3 - ICQ 73321205
PSA - "When it's a tie at a grade crossing, YOU lose!"

gbres...@my-deja.com

Oct 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/2/00
In article <ptPB5.329$_X.5...@news7.onvoy.net>,
"Direwolf" <dire...@polarcommhuman.com> wrote:
> Conventions: Do you attend conventions? If so, which ones and are
> any
> furry conventions?

Not only do I attend, I'm on staff and even worse, I RECRUIT.

Furry conventions I've attended: ConiFur and Further Confusion.I would
like to get to Anthrocon sometime. I wouldn't mind attending any of the
others, things just haven't worked out that way, yet.

Non-furry cons I've attended: NorWesCon for about 13 years running,
OryCons every now and then, San Diego ComiCon more rarely, DreamCon
(now defunct), RustyCon, lots and lots of others over the years.

>Is going to conventions important for your expressing and
>feeling furry?

I would say that going to cons is important for lots of reasons,
including a chance to be furry or around furries.

>Do you wear a fursuit to conventions?

Nope.

>Would you recommend going to conventions to others?

Absolutely!

>If so, which conventions and why?

Any of the cons I've been to. I think going to multiple cons, not just
the same con year after year, is very important. You meet the actual
people. You get to see so much. The whole experience is valuable, even
bad con experiences offer lessons.

>What do you do at conventions?

It depends on whether I am on staff or not, and whether it is a furry
con, or not. If I'm on-staff, I'm going to have jobs to do and which
activities I can participate in are correspondingly limited. I'll try
to see the art show. If the con has serious programming I will try to
go to that. I will attempt (don't often succeed) to drag my darling
otter-honey onto a dance floor.

If I'm not on-staff and it's a furry con, most of my time will be spent
in the dealer's room, staffing the Tai-Pan table. The nice thing about
that is that I see most of the people who come to the con. If the con
has serious programming, I'll try to get to a clinic or two, but
usually only make it to the ones I am actually presenting myself. I
will check out the art show. I will try to drag my honey to the dance.

If I'm neither on staff nor is it a furry con, I will go to the
programming. I only make brief visits to the dealer's room at non-furry
cons; I just don't find much there that I can't find in stores a short
drive from home.

At most cons I host a room party, usually related to the zine, but not
always. They're quiet room parties because I'm one of those weirdo fans
who doesn't really drink, and a lot of my fannish friends have small
children, so we just don't serve alcohol at our parties.

> Food: Ok, I have asked about meat and veggies, but how about a few
> general food questions. What do you like to eat?

Just about anything. Feef, chicken, turkey, fish (particularly salmon
or black cod), clams, pasta, rice, potatos, vegetables, particularly
greens.

>Do you actually cook?

Oh yeah.

>Do you like your food rather simple and plain or complex?

Yes. :) Depends on the mood and how many people I'm cooking for. Once a
month we host a get-together for furs where I cook dinner for everyone.
We get between a dozen and twenty people at this thing.

>Spicy, bland, or in between?

I prefer spicy spicy spicy. Since I often cook for others who don't, I
can do the full spectrum.

>What condiments do you use often?

That depends on what the food is. I love learning how to make new
sauces.1

>What spices do you prefer to use?

Again, it depends. Things I keep on hand and go through a lot of: Sage,
Sweet Paprika, Garlic, Rosemary, Thyme, Ginger, Bay Leaves, Oregano,
Various kinds of salts, Cinnamin, Curry powder, Chili powder, Sesame
oil pepper. Other spices we don't go through as often: Cayenne, Cumin,
Coriander.

>What style of cooking do you like (either that you do yourself,
>or you just seek out)?

Many.

>Do you prefer any particular type of ethnic food?

I love five-star hot Thai. I love chinese food, expecially Szechuan. I
love Tex-mex and Mexican and True Mexican (which is so hard to get on
this side of the border), and Indian.

>Do you eat with your hands or with normal utensils, or something else?

Depends on what I'm eating. It is true that I consider several things
finger food that others don't. I try not to do it in front of company.
I'm not good with chop sticks but use them from time to time.

>Are any of your choices influenced by furriness in any way?

That ones hard to say. I really, really, REALLY love very very very
rare beef.

--
--Gene
"Everybody wants to be a cat, 'cause a cat's the only cat who knows

Flicker

Oct 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/2/00
Direwolf wrote:

> Conventions: Do you attend conventions?

I used to. But after the last one (and it's been some time ago, but I still
hold a grudge) the only reason I'd go to one would be to burn it to the ground
and dance and spit on the ashes.

> Would you recommend going to conventions to others?

Depends on how masochistic you are.

> Food: Ok, I have asked about meat and veggies, but how about a few general
> food questions. What do you like to eat?

I'm partial to Mexican and Chinese food, if it's prepared properly.

> Names: Is your real name furry in any way?

I don't have a real name. I'm a figment of my imagination.

-Flicker, the Mad Coyote

LionkingCMSL

Oct 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/2/00
Homestead RR Bulletin dated Mon, 02 Oct 2000 17:11:08 -0700, from Flicker
<fli...@desertlinc.com> had this important message:

>Direwolf wrote:
>
>> Conventions: Do you attend conventions?
>
>I used to. But after the last one (and it's been some time ago, but I still
>hold a grudge) the only reason I'd go to one would be to burn it to the ground
>and dance and spit on the ashes.

Flicker,

I'm interested in what happened at that particular con. There are bad cons and
there are good cons.

If you want to tell me what happened, please e-mail me.

Mantis

Oct 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/2/00
I attend some kinds of conventions, but at my current age (17) they are all
school related. I go to KJCL and I'm an officer, and yes, in the future I'd
like to go to a furry convention, to meet you that I've met on this
newsgroup and via mIRC.

I like to eat anything that is well prepared, my Mom actually makes some
really good food :-). I don't really "cook" per se, but I'll probably learn
when I leave because I'm too cheap to eat out every night, and I don't like
fast food too much. I like my food however it's served, generally fresh. I
generally eat both spicy and un-spicy foods, not a big part of my life,
although I would like to learn how to eat EXTREMELY spicy foods, by working
my way up. I eat with utensils. I generally eat well rounded meals, and I
eat for nutrition, not for the flavor so much (comes from too much school
food I guess). I usually eat 3-4 times a day, although sometimes I go on 2
meals or less, I'll have the usual 3 meals and a snack when I get home from
school.

Nope, real name isn't furry, it's Matt. I probably won't change my name, I
like to blend in with the background that way, and not stand out, because
people who stand out too much get hurt. I chose Dragoon, my brother chose
Mantis, was chosen back before I knew what furry was. I also use the name
Prometheus in my Latin class, I chose it because I like the idea of a name
that means "forethought". I'd probably be named Dragoon, but that's just
because I like the sound of it. As for power in a name, I think the words
of Shakespere summarize it best "What's in a name? A rose by any other name
would smell as sweet." Power comes first THEN flashiness...

Dragoon

Message has been deleted

Bradley Smith

Oct 2, 2000, 9:45:57 PM10/2/00
> Conventions: Do you attend conventions? If so, which ones and are any
> furry conventions? If not, do you hope to attend any in the future? (The

> rest is for those who have been to a convention, if not then you can skip to
> the next set of questions now).

Unfortunately, my current location (Western Australia) makes it
virtually impossible to attend cons. However, I intend to move to the UK
permanently shortly after I finish university, so I would like to attend
any cons that may be in the UK/European area.

> Food: Ok, I have asked about meat and veggies, but how about a few general
> food questions. What do you like to eat? Do you actually cook? Do you
> like your food rather simple and plain or complex? Spicy, bland, or in
> between? What condiments do you use often? What spices do you prefer to
> use? What style of cooking do you like (either that you do yourself, or you
> just seek out)? Do you prefer any particular type of ethnic food? Do you
> eat with your hands or with normal utensils, or something else? Do you eat
> primarily one type of food, or do you like a well rounded meal? How many
> times a day do you eat? Any meal you particularly like, or one that you
> always seem to skip? Are any of your choices influenced by furriness in any
> way? Have your food choices changed because of furriness? Do you have any
> recipes to share?

I'm a big fan of chicken, fish & chips, pretty much anything involving a
potato, fillet steak, burgers, eggs, etc. However, I do not actually
cook anything myself. I'm big on simple and spicy, not to mention sour.
My favourite condiments were salt and paprika, but now thanks to the
knowledge that i'm finally not allergic to it anymore, pepper too. As to
the style, Western cooking pretty much covers my tastes, however Italian
is high up on the list of prefs. Hands where possible, knife/fork/spoon
where not. I prefer a well rounded meal. Dinner is always my favourite,
lunch I would tend to skip because I can never think of anything to eat
then. I've experimented with lots of different types of meat, and that
can be attributed to my furriness. I try to go slightly rarer now.

> Names: Is your real name furry in any way? (You don't have to give your
> real name if you don't want to). Have you or might you legally change your
> name to something that better expresses your furry nature? The screen name
> you use on alf, why did you choose it? Any other names you use that have a
> particular meaning for you? If you could have any name, what would it be?

> Do you think there is power in a name?

Bradley Peter Smith. Doesn't sound all that furry, does it? If you were
to go into it, I suppose you could say that foxes are rather English and
so is my extremely common surname. I once considered changing my middle
name, but naming yourself (thinking of a new name) is probably one of
the most difficult things you can ever do. Although I still use 'Bradley
Smith' on my posts, I sign everything Vulpie Fox. It's been under
development for a long time, and I think i've refined the corniness out
of it now ;) I suppose I just like words derived from Latin :) I can't
think for the life of me of any other name for myself, and I believe
that a name is just that -- a name. It has no real signifigance.

Regards,
Vulpie Fox

Grey Lupine

Oct 3, 2000, 12:53:38 AM10/3/00
The entity known on this plane of existance as "Direwolf"
<dire...@polarcommhuman.com> screamed in my ear. When my hearing
returned, I decided to answer:

[...]

cons? no I haven't attended any, but I would like to when I have more
time too.

:Food: Ok, I have asked about meat and veggies, but how about a few general

:food questions. What do you like to eat? Do you actually cook? Do you
:like your food rather simple and plain or complex? Spicy, bland, or in
:between? What condiments do you use often? What spices do you prefer to
:use? What style of cooking do you like (either that you do yourself, or you
:just seek out)? Do you prefer any particular type of ethnic food? Do you
:eat with your hands or with normal utensils, or something else? Do you eat
:primarily one type of food, or do you like a well rounded meal? How many
:times a day do you eat? Any meal you particularly like, or one that you
:always seem to skip? Are any of your choices influenced by furriness in any
:way? Have your food choices changed because of furriness? Do you have any
:recipes to share?

Food. Yes I like food, I cook my own stuff and I like it spicy. I
usually eat with utensels if i have company or if it is messy.
otherwise bare hands suffice. I dont have any recipies to share, cause
I really don't follow many, I experiment all the way..

:Names: Is your real name furry in any way? (You don't have to give your

:real name if you don't want to). Have you or might you legally change your
:name to something that better expresses your furry nature? The screen name
:you use on alf, why did you choose it? Any other names you use that have a
:particular meaning for you? If you could have any name, what would it be?
:Do you think there is power in a name?

my "real" name is not very furry, not that I wish to use it much these
days. I would Love to change my name to my online name. The reason i
chose this name has a lot to do with the fur, It is a discription of
what I am, and what I do.
If I had another name it would be the name I use here.
there is power in a name, for with it you have a piece of someones
identity, who they are, what they do. It is the one thing that defines
us from others.

:Direwolf

--
Sing to the moon
Grey Lupine

Hukka

Oct 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/3/00
Well, it was 02 loka 2000 here in Finland, and Direwolf
(dire...@polarcommhuman.com) had posted in alt.lifestyle.furry something
important, so this is what I decided to reply:

>Conventions: Do you attend conventions? If so, which ones and are any
>furry conventions? If not, do you hope to attend any in the future?

I don't attend furry conventions, they're way too far. I hope, and
maybe will, attend AC in the future.

>Food: Ok, I have asked about meat and veggies, but how about a few
>general food questions. What do you like to eat? Do you actually cook?

I like meat and liver. I don't cook, unless warming food in microwave
oven counts :o)

> Do you like your food rather simple and plain or complex? Spicy,
> bland, or in between?

I like simple and complex both, but simple and plain is good enough
for me. I prefer spicy food.

>What condiments do you use often?

Salt and ketchup.

>Do you prefer any particular type of ethnic food?

Well, kebab is my favourite..

>Do you eat with your hands or with normal utensils, or
>something else?

I like to eat with my hands whenever it's possible. Other
than that, just fork and knife.

>Do you eat primarily one type of food, or do you like a
>well rounded meal?

Well, at the moment I mostly eat microwave pizza :o/
I don't eat much vegetables.

> How many times a day do you eat? Any meal you
>particularly like, or one that you always seem to skip?

I always have hard time eating breakfast, and I'm unable to
eat anything for some time after waking up. I don't skip
meals usually. I eat about 3-5 times a day. And yet
I'm underweight...

>Have your food choices changed because of furriness?

Not really.

> Do you have any recipes to share?

Well, not really, but I've discovered that potato chips
taste _good_ when dipped in vanilla ice cream :o)

>Names: Is your real name furry in any way? (You don't have to give
>your real name if you don't want to). Have you or might you legally
>change your name to something that better expresses your furry nature?

My real name is not furry in any way, I'd guess. I've been told
my name (Pietari) originally means 'rock'. I dunno if I'd change
my first name, but I'd gladly change my surname to Hukka (which
actually is a surname in Finland, I think).

>The screen name you use on alf, why did you choose it?

Because it's Finnish for 'wolf', and doesn't sound as lame
as my original furry nickname, 'WolfZone'. :o)

>Any other names you use that have a particular meaning for you?

None currently.

>If you could have any name, what would it be?

Don't know really.

> Do you think there is power in a name?

Not sure what that means..

--
... Hukka. "My Sig File has highly advanced Java functionality that
(\/) can only be read by three other computer specialists.

o'wolf

Oct 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/3/00
message.txt
This is a PGP signature.pgp

Darkshine Werwulf

Oct 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/6/00
On Sun, 01 Oct 2000 23:08:05 GMT, "Direwolf"
<dire...@polarcommhuman.com> wrote:

>I have some questions on your lifestyle choices that might be influenced by
>furriness, or if being furry is just who you are so you don't know how it
>influences you, then just say what your preferred lifestyle seems to be.
>(What a nice run on sentence that is.)
>
>These questions are more intended for your RL self, however you can also say
>what your furry persona (if any) is like as well for comparison.
>
>Sorry if some of my questions might be repeats of the Furvey or Thervey or
>other -vey. But perhaps you can go into more depth, and new furs might not
>have seen the Furveys of furs who have been around awhile.
>

>Conventions: Do you attend conventions?

I would, but...

> If so, which ones and are any

>furry conventions? If not, do you hope to attend any in the future? (The
>rest is for those who have been to a convention, if not then you can skip to
>the next set of questions now). Would you attend a convention that was not
>furry? Is going to conventions important for your expressing and feeling
>furry? Do you wear a fursuit to conventions? Would you recommend going to
>conventions to others? If so, which conventions and why? What do you do at
>conventions? Is that common for conventions goers, or is it just want you
>happen to do? Do you have any convention stories to share with Homestead?

>Food: Ok, I have asked about meat and veggies, but how about a few general
>food questions. What do you like to eat?

Sunflower seeds as snacks, at meal everything with tons of chili...
And fruits, because they're healthy, actually.

> Do you actually cook?

Yes, actually, but I'm not very good at it...

> Do you
>like your food rather simple and plain or complex?

Simple... cause I can't cook anything complex and not either my dad or
sister does.

> Spicy, bland, or in
>between?

Spicy, definitely.

> What condiments do you use often?

Chili, salt. I don't know what all the other cans contain, but I use
them anyway.

> What spices do you prefer to
>use?

Read above. Me and my bad English don't see a difference between
condiment and spice :)

> What style of cooking do you like (either that you do yourself, or you
>just seek out)?

Exploding sausages in a coal barbeque?

?

> Do you
>eat with your hands or with normal utensils, or something else?

It depends. Mostly with hands, but when it's not possible, then normal
utensils.

> Do you eat
>primarily one type of food, or do you like a well rounded meal?

It varies a lot depending on who's cooking.

> How many
>times a day do you eat?

One meal + breakfast + coffee break.

> Any meal you particularly like, or one that you
>always seem to skip?

Coffee break seems to be my favourite, and I seem to skip all the
others and replace them with snacks...

> Are any of your choices influenced by furriness in any
>way?

Nope.

> Have your food choices changed because of furriness?

Nope.

> Do you have any
>recipes to share?

Don't even ask...

>Names: Is your real name furry in any way? (You don't have to give your
>real name if you don't want to).

My real life name is Artzi Harju. And yes, it's kind of furry (IMO).

> Have you or might you legally change your
>name to something that better expresses your furry nature?

No, actually.

> The screen name
>you use on alf, why did you choose it?

Darkshine = Darkness + Silvershine, the heavygroups where I've been
playing the 'alpha guitar'.

> Any other names you use that have a
>particular meaning for you?

No actually. Zzzrrrt from famous typo, but I don't use it anymore.

> If you could have any name, what would it be?

umm... Artzi? I'm actually satisfied with that one.

>Do you think there is power in a name?

Yess, I like to name everything that is important for me somehow. My
Jackson guitar is called 'Silver arrow' ('Hopeanuoli', in Finnish)
(and no, it didn't got it's name from famous mercedes-benz racing car,
but rather from one anime dog I really like :), my Samick SA guitar is
'Mind slaver', and my studio room is 'Hell's gate'.

I don't know does it help any other way, but naming things gives them
some kind of personality.

--

- Darkshine Werewolf -
www.geocities.com/darkshine2000

Nose to the wind!

Arizhel

Oct 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/6/00

> Conventions:
> Do you attend conventions?

Never had the chance, really. There's not many conventions
that go on out in this neck of the .. desert.

> If so, which ones and are any furry conventions?

n/a

> If not, do you hope to attend any in the future?

But of course.

> Food: Ok, I have asked about meat and veggies, but how about a few
general
> food questions. What do you like to eat?

I like to eat food. I'm sure there are some edible non-food
objects out there, but I'm doubtful as to their nutritional
content. :)

> Do you actually cook?

Yup, all the time. I even go so far as to make a turkey at
Thanksgiving and Christmas (even though I live alone), and
bake cookies and such to help heat the house in the winter.

> Do you like your food rather simple and plain or complex?

It really depends on how tiring work has been and whether or
not I feel like making anything requiring any more effort than
frozen pizza or macaroni and cheese.

> Spicy, bland, or in between?

I don't particularly like real bland food, but exceptionally
spicy isn't my thing either. I absolutely love green chile,
and there's nothin wrong with a pinch of red sprinkled over
fried eggs. :)

> What condiments do you use often?

Salt. Lots of salt. I'm actually really big on french fries
with mayonnaise too. (most people think it's pretty gross :P)

> What spices do you prefer to use?

Depends on what I'm making. Cilantro is great in salsa, but
rice calls for saffron.

> What style of cooking do you like (either that you do yourself, or you
> just seek out)?

Well, when I go out to eat, I like to go to Mexican restaurants
or places that serve breakfast all the time.

> Do you prefer any particular type of ethnic food?

Middle Eastern food is great.. I haven't really tried
much in the way of ethnic dishes though.

> Do you eat with your hands or with normal utensils, or something
else?

Normal utensils. I'm boring like that ;)

> Do you eat primarily one type of food, or do you like a well rounded
meal?

I prefer a well-rounded meal.

> How many times a day do you eat?

It depends on what I'm doing. If I'm completely absorbed in some
project or other, it could take me hours to realize that I need
to eat (usually I realize this when I have low blood sugar and
start to feel like hell warmed over ;), and I'll eat only once
or twice. Other times it seems like I'm hungry all day, and I'll
eat up to 5 or 6 times a day.

> Any meal you particularly like, or one that you always seem to skip?

I can't eat breakfast too soon after getting up, or I get ill.

> Are any of your choices influenced by furriness in any way?

Nope.

> Have your food choices changed because of furriness? Do you have any
> recipes to share?

I'd have to dig them out... but yeah. I have a great recipe
for biscochitos (the New Mexico state cookie.. yes, we have
a state *cookie* :)

> Names: Is your real name furry in any way? (You don't have to give
your real name if you don't want to).

Nope. Arie Lyn Taylor isn't very furry at all.

> Have you or might you legally change your
> name to something that better expresses your furry nature?

Nah. I'm not big on changing my name.

> The screen name you use on alf, why did you choose it?

The name "Arizhel" has been with me since college. Myself and
my roommate started on a MUSH at about the same time, and I was
having trouble thinking of a name. She chose "Kalanthe", and
recommended that I use "Arizhel". It's stuck with me for the
past 5 years, and is usually the first name I use when going to
a new MUD, MUCK, what have you.

> Any other names you use that have a particular meaning for you?

I've gone by a few other names in various places around the
internet: ZetaSilver, Swiftfoot, Zert, Seridda, Sioux.. I have
so darn many of them. ;)

> If you could have any name, what would it be?

I like my name just fine, thankyouverymuch. :)

> Do you think there is power in a name?

Not really sure... It all depends on your beliefs.

Ah well, back to work. ;)
-Ariz

--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Arizhel -- a.k.a. Arie Taylor <ari...@yahoo.com>

Khromat

Oct 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/6/00
"Direwolf" <dire...@polarcommhuman.com> wrote:
*snip*

...and yet more questions:

> Conventions: Do you attend conventions?

Yes.

> If so, which ones and are any furry conventions?

Further Confusion, Confurance, Anthrocon.... occassionally others like
Philcon, Conifur and so forth. All the above save one are 'furry' cons.

> If not, do you hope to attend any in the future?

n/a

> Would you attend a convention that was not furry?

I used to, but time and energy have pretty much halted that...

It depends heavily on what the convention is about, the attendance, and
the distance from my home. Right now I'm actually pulling back from
doing conventions because of my desire to save money.

> Is going to conventions important for your expressing and feeling
> furry?

Nope. :3

> Do you wear a fursuit to conventions?

On occassion, when I'm in the mood.:3

> Would you recommend going to conventions to others?

Only if they feel the need to meet others in a 'safe' environment, as
conventions can be rather overwhelming for loners and unsatisfying for
folks comming in with a lot of goals in their head. It's a low-key party
with various activities. :3

> If so, which conventions and why?

Go for small, first. Anthrocon, Mephit Fur Meet... cons that are large
(like Confurence) tend to be seriously sensory overload for the first
timer.

> What do you do at conventions?

Talk, talk, talk... ;3

Okay, to be more honest: I talk in panels, I run panels, I chat with
friends... I also draw and run my table and wear costumes and work
staff. ;3

> Is that common for conventions goers, or is it just want you
> happen to do?

I can't *not* do anything. I go nuts if I'm not involved in the actual
aspects of running a con somewhere: I know, I've tried. This is not for
everyone (most folks aren't masochists, after all), but it's a reason
I'm hard to find at a con. ;3

>Do you have any convention stories to share with Homestead?

Too long, too involved, and nothing I'd really torture the non-fannish
lifestylers with. :3

> Food: *snip*

> What do you like to eat?

Meat and plant. :3

> Do you actually cook?

Sadly, not nearly as much as I should, but I do perform culinary
exihibitions on occassion (read: I know fancy stuff, good for parties or
Ren Faire but not good daily fare).

> Do you like your food rather simple and plain or complex?

I'm actually not particular in that way... each style is best in their
own way. Rennaissance and Medieval cooking alternate between complex and
simple tastes and I like them both.

> Spicy, bland, or in between? What condiments do you use often?

I like *flavor* although my system would prefer to not be burned alive.
:3

Actually, I don't use much in the way of condiments for daily food...
and there's enough salt already on junk fastfood to be too salty to me.

> What spices do you prefer to use?

Depends on the style. Obviously, somethings taste better with a little
red pepper than black. ;3

> What style of cooking do you like (either that you do yourself, or you
> just seek out)?

I have a love of sushi, but right now what I seek is "whatever I didn't
have yesterday that I can afford and it's not too far out of my way".
Not the way I want to live, certainly.

Now, what I *cook* is 16th Century Elizabethan cooking. Kinda exotic. :3

> Do you prefer any particular type of ethnic food?

Japanese, Mexican, Italian, Medieval... I'm always willing to try just
about anything, though. :3

> Do you eat with your hands or with normal utensils, or something else?

I eat with what's appropriate for the meal -- hands, chopsticks, forks,
etc. all have a place. ;3

> Do you eat primarily one type of food, or do you like a well rounded
> meal?

I like flavors! And I'd prefer to have more than one thing, yes...

> How many times a day do you eat?

I used to eat 5 small meals a day. These days, I'm forced into a
3-larger meals a day, which has given rise to certain health problems
for me, unfortunately.

> Any meal you particularly like, or one that you always seem to skip?

I have been known to skip lunches and dinners.. mostly from being too
absorbed in something (like art) to remember.

> Are any of your choices influenced by furriness in any way?

No.

> Have your food choices changed because of furriness?

No.

> Do you have any recipes to share?

Perhaps later...

> Names: Is your real name furry in any way?

No.

> Have you or might you legally change your name to something that
> better expresses your furry nature?

I've no reason to do so.

> The screen name you use on alf, why did you choose it?

It's unique, it's my race, and it's easy to search for. ;3

> Any other names you use that have a particular meaning for you?

All my various names have meanings for me. Some are private while others
are not. There are many different aspects to my whole being, and names
are how I accept that.

> If you could have any name, what would it be?

Elysa, Illya, , Alicia, Shalise... there are a few names that resonnate
with me. As a child, I wanted to be called Kimberly or Carina because I
didn't like my name, but I've come to accept it now as appropriate for
this time. Another time, perhaps, it will change.

> Do you think there is power in a name?

All words have power and there is power in the naming. Power can be
changed by meaning; words that meant one thing shift by a force of
communal will to mean another. Most westerners have no understanding of
the meaning their given name comes from, which is sad... because words
only have the power you give them. A name without meaning is just a
random label: my name could be Chair and remain just as empty. That my
name is "Gift" is important to me, even if the origin of my name is
corrupted from another language and through a religion that is not mine.
It is my name because I accept it as mine.

-- ermine
==================================
home email: KhromatAtInOrbitDotCom

Xydexx Squeakypony, KSC

Oct 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/6/00
Direwolf wrote:
> Conventions: Do you attend conventions? If so, which ones and are
> any furry conventions?

Anthrocon and Further Confusion. I can't really manage more than two
per year.

> Would you attend a convention that was not furry?

I went to a Star Trek convention once, but it was just a 1-day sort of
thing.

> Do you wear a fursuit to conventions?

No, but my boyfriend does.

> Would you recommend going to conventions to others? If so, which
> conventions and why?

I'd recommend either Anthrocon or Further Confusion, since they're both
very well run.

> What do you do at conventions?

Buy stuff in the dealer's room, go to panels, meet friends, help out
behind the scenes, and just have fun in general.

> Do you have any convention stories to share with Homestead?

Heh heh heh. -:)

> What do you like to eat?

American/Indian/Italian/German/Mexican/Chinese/Japanese cuisine.

> Do you actually cook?

I can, if necessary; much the same way I can drive a car with manual
transmission, if necessary.

> Do you like your food rather simple and plain or complex?

Pretty simple. I'm somewhat utilitarian and don't like to spend more
time making food than it does to eat it.

> Do you prefer any particular type of ethnic food?

Indian food, like palak paneer or alu gobi or tandoori chicken.

> How many times a day do you eat?

2-3

> Are any of your choices influenced by furriness in any way?

Nope.

> Is your real name furry in any way?

Nope.

> Have you or might you legally change your name to something that
> better expresses your furry nature?

Yep.

> The screen name you use on alf, why did you choose it?

I've been using it in various forms since around 1993.

> If you could have any name, what would it be?

Xydexx Squeakypony, KSC

Karl Xydexx Jorgensen / Xydexx Squeakypony, KSC
Sign the petition to keep Deja's archive alive!
http://www2.PetitionOnline.com/dejanews/petition.html

Duncan da Husky

Oct 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/6/00
Khromat wrote:
>Go for small, first. Anthrocon, Mephit Fur Meet... cons that are large
>(like Confurence) tend to be seriously sensory overload for the first
>timer.

True, but I'd remove Anthrocon from the "small" list - I believe AC99 had
over 900 people in attendance. MFM2K had about 400. Midwest Furfest - we'll
see. We're planning for 300, but could handle 500.

>Now, what I *cook* is 16th Century Elizabethan cooking. Kinda exotic. :3

Oh, not necessarily, though the verjuice and poudre fort can be difficult
to obtain at times. We'll have to compare savory toasted cheese recipes
sometime :-)

-Duncan da Husky, who also makes some tasty sekanjabin

gbres...@my-deja.com

Oct 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/6/00
In article <8FC59AAA1w...@209.125.35.22>,

tab...@concentric.net (Duncan da Husky) wrote:

> True, but I'd remove Anthrocon from the "small" list - I believe AC99
> had
> over 900 people in attendance. MFM2K had about 400. Midwest Furfest -
> we'll
> see. We're planning for 300, but could handle 500.

Yep, Anthrocon is not a small con. Try to find a small con under about
500 for your first experience. And find an actual FAN-run con. Those
little "cons" that advertise on TV as "star trek" cons or whatever are
not conventions.

--
--Gene
"Everybody wants to be a cat, 'cause a cat's the only cat who knows
where it's at."
--O'Malley the alley cat, The Aristocats.

Weyfour WWWWolf (Urpo Lankinen)

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00
On Sun, 01 Oct 2000 23:08:05 GMT, Direwolf <dire...@polarcommhuman.com> wrote:

>Conventions: Do you attend conventions?

No. Reason being simple: Not Too Many Of Those Around, and I'm just a
poor student who can't afford travelling all around the world to meet
people.

::sighs REALLY deep::

> If not, do you hope to attend any in the future?

Hell yes.

> Food:

> What do you like to eat?

I like meat. Spicy. Less vegetables.

> Do you actually cook?

Nope.

> Do you like your food rather simple and plain or complex? Spicy,
> bland, or in between?

Rather non-complex (ie, not something you go to 5-star restaurant, eat
for several hours and pay a 5-numbered bill for). And as I said,
spicy. =)

> What spices do you prefer to use?

Peppers in all forms... well, let me put it this way: Something so "hot"
that it proves the fundamentalist fanatics that Wolves are Satan's
creatures. =)

> What style of cooking do you like (either that you do yourself, or you
> just seek out)?

Suffice to say my cooking skills are bad. If I can't make it myself,
I'll eat at the university restaurant or go somewhere else to eat.

> Do you prefer any particular type of ethnic food?

Kebabs. If it qualifies. =)

> Do you eat with your hands or with normal utensils, or something else?

Just Like Everyone Else. =)

> Do you eat primarily one type of food, or do you like a well rounded
> meal?

Often just one type...

> How many times a day do you eat?

Warm meal once per day, usually.

> Any meal you particularly like, or one that you always seem to skip?

> Are any of your choices influenced by furriness in any way?

<wolf>
I like well-spiced steaks, but I *don't* like chicken.
(I sometimes even eat mutton.)
</wolf>

I don't know if this was a conscious choice; all I know that for long
time, I haven't liked chicken. Must be the bones.

> Have your food choices changed because of furriness?

Not really.

> Do you have any recipes to share?

Well, what about Swedish Lemon Angels... just kidding. =)

>Names: Is your real name furry in any way?

My real name is Urpo Lankinen. This isn't furry in itself. However,
most people call me Upi (I wonder why people make my short name even
shorter =), or - here it comes - Uu. Pronounced like a short howl. =)

> Have you or might you legally change your name to something that
> better expresses your furry nature?

I guess not.

> The screen name you use on alf, why did you choose it?

Weyfour WWWWolf... well, "WWWWolf" as a name just appeared out of
nowhere. I guess I had not even heard of WWW at the time. I'm just a
lazy wolf. =)

"Weyfour" is simpler to explain. Many people in IRC called me W4. =)

> Do you think there is power in a name?

In programming terms: name is a design issue, value is a run-time
issue. =) Names don't matter as long as the people behind the names
are behaving themselves.

--
$_='%?&%[=&+=?%=[%&+&%[*?]&=&~[;&+&{=?[?&%&[&{[%&^=?=[&%&]=?%~&~[?&+&~YiFF!
=[=~| Weyfour WWWWolf (aka. Urpo Lankinen), a lupine technomancer |=?*_=}?]

Gray the Angel Wolf

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00
dire...@polarcommhuman.com (Direwolf) pawed:

>Conventions: Do you attend conventions? If so, which ones and are any

>furry conventions? If not, do you hope to attend any in the future?

Currently I attend no conventions for two reasons. Firstly, because they
all seem to be over in the US of A, and I lack funds to travel there
(although I plan to visit someday), and secondly because I don't know if
there are over here in the UK, and if so, where they are. However, if it
were possible, then I probably would attend a convention someday.

>Food: Ok, I have asked about meat and veggies, but how about a few

>general food questions. What do you like to eat?

Junk food, heheh. Well most of the time I just end up eating toast, though.

>Do you actually cook?

Does making toast count as cooking? If not, then no.

>Do you like your food rather simple and plain or complex?

It depends what the food is, but usually simple food is fine for this wolf.

>Spicy, bland, or in between?

Bland, definately.

>What condiments do you use often? What spices do you prefer to use?

I don't really use any...

>What style of cooking do you like (either that you do yourself, or you
just seek out)?

Uhh... is there a technical term for making toast?

>Do you prefer any particular type of ethnic food?

Not really, although Chinese takeaways always seem to make better chips
than anywhere else. I really can't stand those greasy types you get in
other places.

>Do you eat with your hands or with normal utensils, or something else?

Depends what I'm eating and what I'm doing. If I'm on the computer then
I'll usually eat with my hands, if the food isn't too sticky or messy. If
it is, or if I'm watching TV (or both) then I'll eat with normal utensils.

>Do you eat primarily one type of food, or do you like a well rounded meal?

That's a tough one, I really wouldn't know.

>How many times a day do you eat?

I usually just snack throughout the day, eating lots of little meals when I
feel like it, instead of a few large set meals. The latter seems like a
very silly way to do things.

>Are any of your choices influenced by furriness in any way? Have your
food choices changed because of furriness? Do you have any recipes to
share?

Nope, nope and nope.

>Names: Is your real name furry in any way? (You don't have to give
>your real name if you don't want to).

Thomas. Yep, that's a very furry name. </sarcasm>

>Have you or might you legally change your name to something that better
expresses your furry nature?

Not yet, but I am planning on changing my middle name to Gray, since I
dislike my given middle name. If you want to know what it is, ask me on ICQ
or something.

>The screen name you use on alf, why did you choose it?

Gray is just what everyone calls me, everywhere on the internet.

>Any other names you use that have a particular meaning for you?

Notavlis, which represents the more draconic side of my personality, and
Angelus, which is just another of my angel-wolf names.

>If you could have any name, what would it be?

Normally I'd say Angelus, but I'd have to say Gray, for one simple reason:
The vampire dude in Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Angel)'s real name is
Angelus, so people would just think I copied it from there. Grrrrr.

>Do you think there is power in a name?

Honestly, no.

--
~* Gray the Angel Wolf *~

WWW: http://www.notavlis.com/
Furcode: http://gcode.ipfox.com/
email: Ang...@ThePentagon.com
ICQ: 73862182

Beast

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00
Hrm, I just woke up for no reason I can figure out, at 5:30 or so in the
morning. What better time to take my crack at the lifestyle questions?

Conventions: Nope, I've never been to an convention, furry or otherwise. I'd
love to attend one in the future though, as soon as I figure out if there are
any near my little corner of the world.

Food: Hrm, well, I like to eat lots of different stuff. I'm pretty open as
long as there's some meat in it (or it's soaked in sugar.) I tend to be really
picky about the way food looks though. Refried beans and oatmeal and things
like that will make me hurl if I have to watch someone eat them. As for
condiments, I'm a ketchup fiend.

Names: Well, my real first name is about as bland as it gets. My last name,
though, rhymes with Beaver. Does that count? And as I said on the furvey, Beast
comes to me from a comment made by one of the people in costume at Disneyland.
While pointing at me Belle to Beast: "He looks more like a beast than you do!"
Yes, I do think there is power in a name. It is the verbal manifestation of
your identity, the thing the entire world uses when thinking of you. How could
something that important to one's identity not have power?

I think I made pretty good sense for this soon after waking up. This will
probably be my last post until Monday, unless something else comes up this
morning. The big, red-maned lion is off to go spend some quality time with his
mate.

Beast.
"He who makes a beast of himself
Gets rid of the pain of being a man."

"Roll the window down, this
cool night air is curious
Let the whole world look in
Who cares who sees what tonight?
I'm your passenger."

Flicker

Oct 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/7/00
LionkingCMSL wrote:

> >Direwolf wrote:
> >
> >> Conventions: Do you attend conventions?
> >

> >I used to. But after the last one (and it's been some time ago, but I still
> >hold a grudge) the only reason I'd go to one would be to burn it to the ground
> >and dance and spit on the ashes.
>

> I'm interested in what happened at that particular con. There are bad cons and
> there are good cons.
>
> If you want to tell me what happened, please e-mail me.

Actually, I'd rather not discuss it. You sound like your gonna try to tell me how
my one bad experience isn't examplary of cons. It wasn't ONE bad experience, and
they were exemplary.

But that's okay. Me and cons, no love lost there either way.

-Flicker

David Cooke

Oct 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/8/00
Direwolf wrote:

>Conventions: Do you attend conventions? If so, which ones and are any
>furry conventions?

Yes, I do. I've been to Anthrocon twice, and also to two non-furry
business related conferences: Java One, and the Design Supercon.

I've also been to various housemeets and howls in the UK. These are
obviously much smaller, and not at all commercial.

> Is going to conventions important for your expressing and feeling
> furry?

Its a good opportunity to let the furryness out, and relax in the sense
of removing the mask. However conventions are _not_ relaxing.

> Do you wear a fursuit to conventions?

That's a work in progress kinda deal. I would if I had one.

> Would you recommend going to conventions to others? If so, which
> conventions and why?

I think most would benefit from the experience, but not everyone.
I'd recommend meeting furs locally first before going to a proper
conference, as the size can be overwhelming, without the fur.

As I live in .uk, I'm limited to one US convention a year. I go to
Anthrocon, simply because it has the most alf furs there - after all,
where else could I meet Tim, Tirran, the family Kimba, Jinx, Duncan,
Nrasser, ... Plus its alot easier to get over 5 hours of jet-lag
rather than 8.

>What do you do at conventions? Is that common for conventions goers,

>or is it just want you happen to do?

Attend panels that interest me (spirituality, fursuit), poke around the
dealer's room, gaze at the artshow. Most of the time is spent trying
to find other alf furs, and talk to them.

Memo to self: get one of those motorola walkie-talkies next time ;)

>Do you have any convention stories to share with Homestead?

I don't think a day goes by without some memorable moment or other. They
are kinda hectic that way. For such stories, try my web pages:

http://www.konig.demon.co.uk/fur/meets/

>Food: Ok, I have asked about meat and veggies, but how about a few general
>food questions. What do you like to eat?

Most things, though I'm not a huge fan of fish, and I won't eat
invertabrates. My staples tend to be rice and chicken. I am
_particularly_ fond of chocolate, especially the expensive kinds with
more that 40% cocoa solids (milk), or 60% (dark).

>Do you actually cook?

Yes, if I've time and space I will cook properly. Most of the time I
improvise with what is to hand.

>Do you like your food rather simple and plain or complex? Spicy, bland,
>or in between?

Depends on my mood, and how you define simple!

>What condiments do you use often?

Lee & Perrins, Tabasco, Amoy dark Soy sauce.

>What spices do you prefer to use?

Chinese five-spice, tarragon, oregano, tumeric, cayenne pepper, chives,
basil, garlic.

Obviously, not all in the same dish, and some of the above are herbs.

>What style of cooking do you like (either that you do yourself, or you
>just seek out)?

Most kinds. I tend to seek out Indian and Chinese in restaurants as
I dont have the time or facilities to do these well at home.

>Do you prefer any particular type of ethnic food? Do you

>eat with your hands or with normal utensils, or something else?

Indian, and chinese. I don't like to eat with my hands, and will
normally use knife, fork and spoon, or chopsticks as appropriate.

>Do you eat primarily one type of food, or do you like a well rounded meal?

For health reasons, I can't eat fruit or vegetables that have alot of
fibre. By most standards my meals are not "well-rounded".

> How many times a day do you eat?

Three actual meals. And snacks. And chocolate.

>Any meal you particularly like, or one that you always seem to skip?

I never skip a meal unless I am _really_ ill.

>Are any of your choices influenced by furriness in any
>way? Have your food choices changed because of furriness?

Can't say that my choice is influenced by my furriness, perhaps they
are influenced more by the company I keep. I've been known to salivate
at the mere mention of the Outback Steakhouse, refined my liking for
sushi and teriyaki, tried things like oreos (remember I'm from the
.uk - those things are _rare_) and pea-meal bacon.

>Do you have any recipes to share?

Probably - I got a fair collection of recipies I know work well.
However this isn't really an appropriate forum, and these things
are plagued by regional differences in units and names for food.

Perhaps some of the more unusual:

Bored with those tastless cheap little frozen pizzas? Try sprinkling
the contents of one of those tomato or chicken soup-in-a-cup packets
over it before grilling!

Try adding instant oatmeal (ready brek) to milkshake mix for a really
thick shake.

>Names: Is your real name furry in any way? (You don't have to give your
>real name if you don't want to).

No, and I do use my real name.

>Have you or might you legally change your name to something that better
>expresses your furry nature?

No, I wouldn't. I see my name as a useful identifier other people apply
to me. It was given to me by others, and is used by others. I am me.
I am furry.

>Any other names you use that have a particular meaning for you? If you
>could have any name, what would it be? Do you think there is power in a
>name?

I have a spirit-name, which remains largly unknown. I do believe that
has a power.

David Cooke.

--
There's a new game we like to play you see / A game with added reality /
You treat me like a dog, get me down on my knees / We call it "Master

Khromat

Oct 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/9/00
tab...@concentric.net (Duncan da Husky) wrote:
> Khromat wrote:
> >Go for small, first. Anthrocon, Mephit Fur Meet... cons that are
large
> >(like Confurence) tend to be seriously sensory overload for the first
> >timer.
>
> True, but I'd remove Anthrocon from the "small" list - I believe AC99
had
> over 900 people in attendance. MFM2K had about 400. Midwest Furfest -
we'll
> see. We're planning for 300, but could handle 500.

Traditionally, 'small' cons are under 1000 people... maybe you could
define the 500-1000 range as 'medium', if you want. Further Confusion is
not a small con, Anthrocon make it barely over 1000 this year (if I
remember the numbers right) but still has a 'small con' feel to it.

> >Now, what I *cook* is 16th Century Elizabethan cooking. Kinda exotic.
:3

> Oh, not necessarily, though the verjuice and poudre fort can be
difficult
> to obtain at times. We'll have to compare savory toasted cheese
recipes
> sometime :-)

Actually, it's *very* exotic compared to other cooking styles, because
many of the ingrediants commonly used back then are not available in the
US for various reasons. For example, musk oil was used for scenting
banquet foods, but it's neigh impossible to find food-grade musk around
here. Barberries(1), an English wild berry popular in many things
(including making of verjuice) is nearly extinct in England; it turned
out that it lived among the hedges and often carried wheat-rot, so
between the removal of hedges and spraying to destroy wheat-rot fungus,
the wild population has been decimated.

I have to research places to get even simple things like quinces and
seville oranges for my receipts. Quinces grow in California's Central
Valley, but is rarely seen in the domestic stores because it's mostly
exported. Currents, like quinces, are mostly an export crop
-- sold mainly to the Middle East! Ironically, Mexican quince paste and
many of the hispanic spices found in Cali (like the cones of brown
sugar!) are very appropriate for 16th century cooking, but I don't live
in Cali anymore (whimper!) so it's harder to find them here.

And finally, there are some items, like dolphin and rifle (iron)
shavings, that you really don't want to find for cooking, even if it was
possible.

Savory cheeses? I really should start making my almond cheeses again.
How about some spiced butter slops? :3

Hrrunka

Oct 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/10/00
Khromat wrote:
> Traditionally, 'small' cons are under 1000 people... maybe you could
> define the 500-1000 range as 'medium', if you want.

Yikes!

It's all rather subjective really...

By my measure, at a small con you'd have a chance to have at least a
short conversation with each and every other attendee at some point
during the two or three days the con lasts.

I'd call under 150 or so small and over 500 or so large. Then
again, over this side of the Atlantic, the only time Cons get
over the 1000 mark are when events like Worldcons are held here.

I think I'd find a con with over a thousand members terminally
intimidating.

--
Purrs,
Hrrunka

Khromat

Oct 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/10/00
Khromat <khr...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> Actually, it's *very* exotic compared to other cooking styles, because
> many of the ingrediants commonly used back then are not available in
the
> US for various reasons. For example, musk oil was used for scenting
> banquet foods, but it's neigh impossible to find food-grade musk
around
> here. Barberries(1), an English wild berry popular in many things
> (including making of verjuice) is nearly extinct in England; it turned
> out that it lived among the hedges and often carried wheat-rot, so
> between the removal of hedges and spraying to destroy wheat-rot
fungus,
> the wild population has been decimated.

(1) Barberries have a suitable substitute in the US called Cranberries.
In fact, the Thanksgiving tradition of Cranberry Sauce is because the
pilgrims would have had Barberry "marmalad" (essentially, jellied)
with foul (they brought their own turkey, BTW) and found that the native
Cranberries were close enough to their beloved wild berry to actually
use. :3

Khromat

Oct 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/10/00
Hrrunka <hrr...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> Khromat wrote:
> > Traditionally, 'small' cons are under 1000 people... maybe you could
> > define the 500-1000 range as 'medium', if you want.
>
> Yikes!
>
> It's all rather subjective really...
>
> By my measure, at a small con you'd have a chance to have at least a
> short conversation with each and every other attendee at some point
> during the two or three days the con lasts.
>
> I'd call under 150 or so small and over 500 or so large. Then
> again, over this side of the Atlantic, the only time Cons get
> over the 1000 mark are when events like Worldcons are held here.
>
> I think I'd find a con with over a thousand members terminally
> intimidating.

I suppose that it really is scale and culture... Confurence 1, a large
party for a bunch of us loons, was about 200 people. That *was* small
for the LA area, con-wise. I've been to house-parties* with 150 people
in it, so I suppose I'm innured to a certain level of crowd. Of course,
they have to all be friends or at least friendly as I don't do well in
crowds of strangers. :3

* = Said house-parties were by Renfaire folk, and considering the guild
I was in had 180 members (which I knew 2/3 rather well) and there were 7
guilds, that's a lot of people. Something like 3,000 regular actors in
the Performing Arts Department of the Renaissance Faire. So, casual
get-togethers were never *small*. ;3

Doodles

Oct 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/10/00
Khromat wrote:

> I have to research places to get even simple things like quinces and
> seville oranges for my receipts. Quinces grow in California's Central
> Valley, but is rarely seen in the domestic stores because it's mostly
> exported. Currents, like quinces, are mostly an export crop
> -- sold mainly to the Middle East! Ironically, Mexican quince paste and
> many of the hispanic spices found in Cali (like the cones of brown
> sugar!) are very appropriate for 16th century cooking, but I don't live
> in Cali anymore (whimper!) so it's harder to find them here.

Hey ermine! You want some of us Cali-furs to get you a care package
together? A Villarta Supermarket just opened up a year or so ago in my area
and it's chock full of that stuff.

Skipai Da Otter

Oct 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/10/00
"Hrrunka" <hrr...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

> Khromat wrote:
> > Traditionally, 'small' cons are under 1000 people... maybe you could
> > define the 500-1000 range as 'medium', if you want.
>
> Yikes!
>
> It's all rather subjective really...

[snip]

*Otter blinks and then shakes with fear* That's a bit too many for me to
handle I think. Not been anywhere with that many people or furs before....

*goes off in his personal space again....*

--
Skipai Da Otter ICQ #25078250
www.skipai.com www.furry.cwc.net

Perriloux

Oct 11, 2000, 1:21:09 AM10/11/00

"Khromat" wrote :

> I have to research places to get even simple things like quinces and
> seville oranges for my receipts. Quinces grow in California's Central
> Valley, but is rarely seen in the domestic stores because it's mostly
> exported.

I grow quinces right here in New England. I get 20 to 25 fruit
per year. I haven't a clue what to do with them tho. Any
suggestions ?

--
\\
/\_/\ ll
l o o l/////////////// / /
l l /
\O/\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/ /
l l l l
(___l (___l
Perriloux
Fur code : FCF4s A C+ Dm++ H++ M P+++ R++ T++ W Z+ Sm+ RLC/E/M
a+cdnw++ d+ e+ f+++ h+++ i+ j p+ sm+

Spamsux. So take it out of my address.

Perriloux

Oct 11, 2000, 1:29:42 AM10/11/00

"Tim Gadd" wrote :

> I think the subjective impression of the size of a con can have a lot
> to do with the topography of the convention space, too. For some
> reason the King of Prussia Anthrocons felt smaller to me than the
> Albany one, even though they were 'bigger'.

Yip ! The Omni had a real nice layout. Too bad the elevators
didn't work. The Hilton's elevators did work ok but I got that
certain 'sardine' feeling after a while.

I heard rumors that we're really going to like the new Anthrocon
hotel. Keeping my paws crossed.

Luphinus Tursiops Wolphin

Oct 11, 2000, 2:45:01 AM10/11/00
In article <8s0tob$hsg$1...@raccoon.fur.com>,
"Perriloux" <perril...@spamsux.hotmail.com> wrote:

> I heard rumors that we're really going to like the new Anthrocon
> hotel. Keeping my paws crossed.

I'm not on the AC mailing list, so I haven't heard about a new hotel...
did the hyoomans there not like Silfur's alkeehall party, or the
Soakedfurs party? I had fun at both of them :)

The zoo there was nice, but it also gave me a 'sardine' feeling.
__
Luphinus
Who doesn't believe in long sig's.

LionkingCMSL

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
Homestead RR Bulletin dated Wed, 11 Oct 2000 06:45:01 GMT, from Luphinus
Tursiops Wolphin <luph...@my-deja.com> had this important message:

>In article <8s0tob$hsg$1...@raccoon.fur.com>,
> "Perriloux" <perril...@spamsux.hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I heard rumors that we're really going to like the new Anthrocon
>> hotel. Keeping my paws crossed.
>
>I'm not on the AC mailing list, so I haven't heard about a new hotel...
>did the hyoomans there not like Silfur's alkeehall party, or the
>Soakedfurs party? I had fun at both of them :)
>
>The zoo there was nice, but it also gave me a 'sardine' feeling.

None of the above.

AC simply out grew the Hilton.

The new hotel is a *small* hotel called the "Adam's Mark" located on City Line
Ave. in Philly.
This small hotel cam hold three cons at a time (I hear that there is a golfing
con at the same time AC is there), and there is no chance of us filling it up,
it's about 19 stories tall! :=3
--
LionkingCMSL - The railroading lion. :=3 - ICQ 73321205
PSA - "When it's a tie at a grade crossing, YOU lose!"
For more info, please go to - www.oli.org - Operation Lifesaver's Home page
http://users.snip.net/~lionking - My Home Page

Duncan da Husky

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
Luphinus Tursiops Wolphin wrote:
>I'm not on the AC mailing list, so I haven't heard about a new hotel...
>did the hyoomans there not like Silfur's alkeehall party, or the
>Soakedfurs party? I had fun at both of them :)

As someone who was having a small party just down the hall from the Dead Dog
Party, I can say the the main problem was that fifty or a hundred people don't
fit into one small hotel room. The hallway was virtually impassable, and the
crowd was quite loud. The party was very poorly thought-out, and was shut down
for that reason.

>The zoo there was nice, but it also gave me a 'sardine' feeling.

I could only hope that other cons can come up with something as innovative and
congoer-friendly as The Zoo (they shut down their casual restaurant and turned
it over to the con as a general socializing space). The Hilton was amazingly
helpful in providing that space and I hope that the Anthrocon staff is as
fortunate in finding a similar space at the Adams Mark.

-Duncan da Husky, who will now plug Midwest Furfest (http://www.furfest.org/)
for no apparent reason

Khromat

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
"Perriloux" <perril...@spamsux.hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Khromat" wrote :
>
> > I have to research places to get even simple things like quinces and
> > seville oranges for my receipts. Quinces grow in California's
Central
> > Valley, but is rarely seen in the domestic stores because it's
mostly
> > exported.
>
> I grow quinces right here in New England. I get 20 to 25 fruit
> per year. I haven't a clue what to do with them tho. Any
> suggestions ?

*OOOOOOH!* :9

I've got some 30 recipes on quinces, although most are simply different
means to make Quince Preserves.

Pretty much anywhere you can use an apple, you can use quince for a
different flavor. The only rule you have to remember is that quinces
*must* be cooked before eating, and it's best to lightly drop them in
boiling water for a few minutes in order to do anything with them (like
coring, paring, skinning, etc.). Fast boiling also warms up the pectin
and sugars inside quinces -- they may appear hard as baseballs and too
grainy to eat off the tree, but after a brief cooking they are soft and
*really* juicy and only the meat close to the pit remains grainy (most
elizabethan recipes tell you to core quince and remove that grainy
center before slicing for use).

Quince is one of those interesting fruits, like pears, that changes
flavor and color depending on how much air it has when it's cooked.
Fast cooking in an open pot of boiling water will produce golden-pink or
shell-pink fruit that tastes a lot like roses and pears. Stick them in a
covered crockpot and simmer for 8 hours and you'll get *ruby* red fruit
that tastes more like someone's added honey.

Quince can be used to make sauces (think glazes and sweet chutneys), it
can be used in pies and tarts, you can candy slices, make jams, jellies,
and fruit leather. In general it adds a fruity sweetness without the
usual tartness found in apples and citrus fruits.

I made a two-color quince tart as one of my entries in the Rennaisance
Cooking Competition -- five big heart-shaped tarts in ruby with a
smaller tudor-flower tart on top in 'white' (the light pink version).
One of the judges gave me high marks and told me later that he grew up
near a quince orchard in King's Valley: the smell of the tart brought
him back to that time, and he considered Quince to be one of the most
undervalued fruits in American cooking today. :3

gbres...@my-deja.com

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
In article <8FCA664ADw...@209.125.35.22>,

tab...@concentric.net (Duncan da Husky) wrote:

> -Duncan da Husky, who will now plug Midwest Furfest
>(http://www.furfest.org/) for no apparent reason

I'll plug it! Very nice people are putting it on. :) And I've heard
nothing but good things from people who have attended the Furry Track
at Duck Con, from which Midwest grew. :)

--
--Gene
"Everybody wants to be a cat, 'cause a cat's the only cat who knows
where it's at."
--O'Malley the alley cat, The Aristocats.

Skytech

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00

> Yip ! The Omni had a real nice layout. Too bad the elevators
> didn't work. The Hilton's elevators did work ok but I got that
> certain 'sardine' feeling after a while.

Me too. Place just didn't seem designed for large, wandering crowds.

> I heard rumors that we're really going to like the new Anthrocon
> hotel. Keeping my paws crossed.

Been to Philcon at the Adam's Mark a few times and the halls and rooms in
the con areas are huge. We will not be pressing into each other, cosy as
that might be, or changing rooms because of unexpected numbers.
--
La gvatanta vulpo (The vigilant fox)
Skytech

Skytech

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00

> The zoo there was nice, but it also gave me a 'sardine' feeling.

The Zoo was great! A place to unwind and meet each other casually. I don't
know if there is something equivalent there. We'll take over the resturant
on the other side of the fence! :)

--
La gvatanta vulpo (The vigilant fox)
Skytech
^^
<@@>

.]

Skytech

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
> This small hotel cam hold three cons at a time (I hear that
> there is a golfing con at the same time AC is there), and there > is no
chance of us filling it up, it's about 19 stories
> tall! :=3

Also a major chess convention that weekend! (Unless that's what you were
referring to.)

I just got my registration so I plan to get a room at the beginning of the
year. I *hope* that's not the weekend my company puts me to work!

--
La gvatanta vulpo (The vigilant fox)
Skytech
^^

<99>
./

Skytech

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00

> > I grow quinces right here in New England. I get 20 to 25 fruit
> > per year. I haven't a clue what to do with them tho. Any
> > suggestions ?
>
> *OOOOOOH!* :9
>
> I've got some 30 recipes on quinces, although most are simply different
> means to make Quince Preserves.

My family had a quince tree and quince jelly was a tradition!

--
La gvatanta vulpo (The vigilant fox)
Skytech
^^

<@@>
.p

LionkingCMSL

Oct 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/11/00
Homestead RR Bulletin dated Wed, 11 Oct 2000 18:07:50 -0400, from "Skytech"
<sky...@ix.netcom.com> had this important message:

>> This small hotel cam hold three cons at a time (I hear that
>> there is a golfing con at the same time AC is there), and there > is no
>chance of us filling it up, it's about 19 stories
>> tall! :=3
>>

>Also a major chess convention that weekend! (Unless that's what you were
>referring to.)

Sky,

I think that's what I was thinking of. Of course there may be a golfing con
there too.

Anyfur see a problem with a lion attending the chess convention also (maybe in
full fursuit)? :=3

Maybe I could pick up some desperately needed pointers.

Luphinus Tursiops Wolphin

Oct 11, 2000, 8:27:47 PM10/11/00
In article <jeq9usk6gh4clqui7...@4ax.com>,
LionkingCMSL <lionki...@snip.net> wrote:

> Anyfur see a problem with a lion attending the chess convention also
(maybe in
> full fursuit)? :=3

I know there are horses in chess, but lions? Could get messy ;)

If you want to play, I can bring a chess game, we can sit in the "new
zoo" and spend a few hours annoying the artists and fanboys with our
constent quietness and frowns of thinking. =P

Perriloux

Oct 12, 2000, 2:07:14 AM10/12/00

"Khromat" wrote :

> *OOOOOOH!* :9
>
> I've got some 30 recipes on quinces, although most are simply different
> means to make Quince Preserves.
>

> Pretty much anywhere you can use an apple,

<snip>

Many thanks ! I've had this quince tree for years. Year
after year I watch these furry pear looking things rot away.
(yes quinces are furry) I hate to see good food go to waste.
I'd rather see them go to waist. :)

Anyhoo, I've got your suggestions filed away and maybe
next year I'll try boiling a few.

Khromat

Oct 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/12/00
"Perriloux" <perril...@spamsux.hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Khromat" wrote :
>
> > *OOOOOOH!* :9
> >
> > I've got some 30 recipes on quinces, although most are simply
different
> > means to make Quince Preserves.
> >
> > Pretty much anywhere you can use an apple,
> <snip>
>
> Many thanks ! I've had this quince tree for years. Year
> after year I watch these furry pear looking things rot away.
> (yes quinces are furry) I hate to see good food go to waste.
> I'd rather see them go to waist. :)

Yes, quinces are furry... and I always heard them called the "Ugly
cousin of the apple" because of their pear-ish appearance.

> Anyhoo, I've got your suggestions filed away and maybe
> next year I'll try boiling a few.

Heck, if you manage to keep a few, I'd me more than happy to take them
off your hands. ;3

---ermine
==================================
home email: KhromatAtInOrbitDotCom

Khromat

Oct 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/12/00
In article <8s2o3j$u76$1...@slb6.atl.mindspring.net>,

"Skytech" <sky...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> > > I grow quinces right here in New England. I get 20 to 25 fruit
> > > per year. I haven't a clue what to do with them tho. Any
> > > suggestions ?
> > *OOOOOOH!* :9
> > I've got some 30 recipes on quinces, although most are simply
different
> > means to make Quince Preserves.
> >

> My family had a quince tree and quince jelly was a tradition!

And because of quince's high pectin content, jellies are incredibly
easy to make! :3

-- ermine

Khromat

Oct 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/12/00
Luphinus Tursiops Wolphin <luph...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <jeq9usk6gh4clqui7...@4ax.com>,
> LionkingCMSL <lionki...@snip.net> wrote:
>
> > Anyfur see a problem with a lion attending the chess convention also
> (maybe in
> > full fursuit)? :=3
> >

> I know there are horses in chess, but lions? Could get messy ;)
>
> If you want to play, I can bring a chess game, we can sit in the "new
> zoo" and spend a few hours annoying the artists and fanboys with our
> constent quietness and frowns of thinking. =P

You won't annoy us artists, we're too busy drawing and chatting to
notice... but you will baffle the fanboys. :3

-- ermine
==================================
home email: KhromatAtInOrbitDotCom

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Whoolf

Oct 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/12/00
LionkingCMSL <lionki...@snip.net> wrote:

>Anyfur see a problem with a lion attending the chess convention also (maybe
>in
>full fursuit)? :=3

Provided that there is another _big_ fur on the other side
of the table, there would be no problem.
Otherwise when you try to growl _during_ the game it
could be seen as an attempt to intimidation. ;)

Whoolf

--

The lion may be the king
but the cheetah is the prince

FFHm1dfw A+ C- D- H M- P+ R+ T+++ W Z+ Sf+ RLTI a++ cn+ d+ e f+ h i+ j p- sm
ICQ 64052809

Skytech

Oct 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/12/00

> I think that's what I was thinking of. Of course there may be a golfing
con
> there too.
>
> Anyfur see a problem with a lion attending the chess convention also
(maybe in
> full fursuit)? :=3
>
> Maybe I could pick up some desperately needed pointers.

Yeah, "GET OUTTA HERE!!".

What two recreational activities would be more disrupted by the presence of
fursuiters?!

--
La gvatanta vulpo (The vigilant fox)
Skytech
^^

<-->
.D

Skytech

Oct 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/12/00

> > > Anyfur see a problem with a lion attending the chess convention also
> > (maybe in
> > > full fursuit)? :=3
> > >

> > I know there are horses in chess, but lions? Could get messy ;)

Consitering the plentitude of chess set styles, could a furry set be so
unusual?

Lions as kings and the horsemen are covered. What other animal
representations for chess pieces?

--
La gvatanta vulpo (The vigilant fox)
Skytech
^^

<@@>
./

Relee

Oct 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/12/00
>> > I know there are horses in chess, but lions? Could get messy ;)
>> >

>Consitering the plentitude of chess set styles, could a furry set be so
>unusual?
>
>Lions as kings and the horsemen are covered. What other animal
>representations for chess pieces?

*Leaps up and down going "Ohh! Ohh!"*

The bishops should be Llamas, the Rooks should be Elephants or Bears,
and the pawns could be different, similar animals. A mouse a vole a
hamster a gerbil a rabbit a rat a chipmunk and a mole!

Boy that was a real pick me up!
--
Relee the Squirrel - ICQ - 26927574

Spam. More powerful than a Nuclear Bomb. At least in the Digimon Movie...

Nebulous

Oct 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/12/00

Skytech wrote

> > > I know there are horses in chess, but lions? Could get messy ;)
> > >

> Consitering the plentitude of chess set styles, could a furry set be so
> unusual?
>
> Lions as kings and the horsemen are covered. What other animal
> representations for chess pieces?

IIRC a Rook is a bird similar to a raven, Just a bit of a change in
iconography.

And if you add a single letter, then you have a line of Prawns across the
front. ;)

So what *would* be the proper animal for the bishop?

--
Nebulous Rikulau
My furcode
FFCs4a A- C* D H+ M- P++ R+ T+++ W Z+ Sm RLRB/AT a+ cn++ d-- e+ f h+ i+ j+
p+ sm-

Coyote Red

Oct 12, 2000, 11:50:59 PM10/12/00
payn...@email.com (Relee) wrote:

>>Lions as kings and the horsemen are covered. What other animal
>>representations for chess pieces?
>

>*Leaps up and down going "Ohh! Ohh!"*
>
>The bishops should be Llamas, the Rooks should be Elephants or Bears,
>and the pawns could be different, similar animals. A mouse a vole a
>hamster a gerbil a rabbit a rat a chipmunk and a mole!

Y'know, if you were to restructure that last sentence, it would make a
very cute rhyme with the mole and vole part. :) "A mouse, a hamster,
a gerbil, a mole; then rabbit, a rat, then chipmunk & vole!"

...Yep, I definitely need sleep. *grin*

Anyway, why llamas for the bishops? Is that an arbitrary choice, or
do llamas have some, er, holy tendencies that I don't know about? :D

Red, just curious :)

/\ /\ "If there's been a way to build it,
<. .> There'll be a way to destroy it.
\_/ Things are not all that out of control." ~ Stereolab

David Formosa (aka ? the Platypus)

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00
On Thu, 12 Oct 2000 21:10:32 -0400, Nebulous <lum...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

[...]

>And if you add a single letter, then you have a line of Prawns across the
>front. ;)
>
>So what *would* be the proper animal for the bishop?

A praying mantis.

http://dformosa.zeta.org.au/~dformosa/Spelling.html to find out more.
Keep Dejanews alive please sign the Petition below
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/dejanews/

Whoolf

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00
"Skytech" <sky...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>Lions as kings and the horsemen are covered. What other animal
>representations for chess pieces?

In a German chess game the bishop is called 'Laeufer' (runner)
So, a cheetah would be in the right place here.

Mie...@aa.net

Oct 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/13/00
On Sat, 14 Oct 2000 01:11:35 GMT, Luphinus Tursiops Wolphin
<luph...@my-deja.com> wrote:

>A pool party, and a convention of barbers.

>__
>Luphinus
>Who doesn't believe in long sig's.

I have seen one design for a water proof otter costume. I don't know if you
could actually swim in it but you could defiantly hop into the shallow end and
wade around in it.
Mier'Tam

The most important thing about magic is how you don't use it.
Esk

Wonder Enis Gheen Wonder
Simon Stevin

Luphinus Tursiops Wolphin

Oct 13, 2000, 9:09:11 PM10/13/00
In article <8s5nhk$ijk$1...@slb1.atl.mindspring.net>,

"Nebulous" <lum...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> So what *would* be the proper animal for the bishop?

Well, bishops are pretty regal, and givin their _steriotypical_
attitude in the catholic church, how about vultures?

(Or Condors, that doesn't sound as bad. And bishops tend to be old,
those both look like old birds)

Luphinus Tursiops Wolphin

Oct 13, 2000, 9:11:35 PM10/13/00
In article <8s59m9$2v5$1...@slb2.atl.mindspring.net>,

"Skytech" <sky...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> What two recreational activities would be more disrupted by the
> presence of fursuiters?!

A pool party, and a convention of barbers.

Weyfour WWWWolf (Urpo Lankinen)

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00
On Thu, 12 Oct 2000 17:26:56 -0400, Skytech <sky...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>Lions as kings and the horsemen are covered. What other animal
>representations for chess pieces?

Actually, in Russian, the knights are called "slon" - that is,
elephant.

If you don't get it, consider the origins of Chess. =)
http://www.britannica.com/bcom/eb/article/4/0,5716,108174+1+105867,00.html

--
$_='%?&%[=&+=?%=[%&+&%[*?]&=&~[;&+&{=?[?&%&[&{[%&^=?=[&%&]=?%~&~[?&+&~YiFF!
=[=~| Weyfour WWWWolf (aka. Urpo Lankinen), a lupine technomancer |=?*_=}?]
%}&};| ICQ:4291042 | www...@iki.fi | http://www.iki.fi/wwwwolf/ |&;&=~?]';
tr/?~=*;%&[{}]+_^ (),.:@\/\n0-9!|a-zA-Z/0-9acde/d; $_=pack("H*",$_); print;

Cerulean

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00
Quoth Skytech:

>Consitering the plentitude of chess set styles, could a furry set be so
>unusual?
>

>Lions as kings and the horsemen are covered. What other animal
>representations for chess pieces?

Well, look up "rook" and you'll see the avians represented. A fierce
tigress as the queen makes a good mate for the king (who is doubly
well represented as a lion in chess, since he lies around at home
while the female goes out and does the killing). I'd say bovine
bishops as suggested by expressions such as "sacred cow," "holy cow,"
and "papal bull". That only leaves the pawns, which can be represented
by an assortment of small animals.

--
___vvz /( Cerulean = Kevin Pease http://cerulean.st/
<__,` Z / ( DC2.~D GmAL~W-R+++Ac~J+S+Fr++IH$M-V+++Cbl,spu

Relee

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00
>Anyway, why llamas for the bishops? Is that an arbitrary choice, or
>do llamas have some, er, holy tendencies that I don't know about? :D

Oh, well I was reading something that said it was originally said by
the Dali Lama, and I had the word in my head. :)

Luphinus Tursiops Wolphin

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00
In article <6hlfuskg85rca8ejo...@4ax.com>,

Mie...@aa.net wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Oct 2000 01:11:35 GMT, Luphinus Tursiops Wolphin
> <luph...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>

> >A pool party, and a convention of barbers.
> >__
> >Luphinus
> >Who doesn't believe in long sig's.
>
> I have seen one design for a water proof otter costume. I don't know
if you
> could actually swim in it but you could defiantly hop into the
shallow end and
> wade around in it.
> Mier'Tam

I was literally born in the water (one of those 80's fads). I'm a very
good swimmer. I once was pushed into the shamu aquarium when I was
working at the Hubbs here in San Diego, I swam it that... tho getting
out of the water with a 30 pound suit full of about 60 pounds of water
wasn't as easy =P

Luphinus Tursiops Wolphin

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00
Mie...@aa.net wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Oct 2000 01:11:35 GMT, Luphinus Tursiops Wolphin
> <luph...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>

> >A pool party, and a convention of barbers.
> >__
> >Luphinus
> >Who doesn't believe in long sig's.

I actually said a pool party because of all the fur that would clog the
filters, heh. :|

Nebulous

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00

Relee wrote

> >Anyway, why llamas for the bishops? Is that an arbitrary choice, or
> >do llamas have some, er, holy tendencies that I don't know about? :D
>
> Oh, well I was reading something that said it was originally said by
> the Dali Lama, and I had the word in my head. :)

I believe it was Edward Lear who wrote:

A one 'L' lama, he's a priest.
A two 'L' llama, he's a beast.
But I will bet my pink pyjama,
There isn't any three 'L' lllama.

(errors are mine. Quoted from memory)

Skytech

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00

> I was literally born in the water (one of those 80's fads). I'm a very
> good swimmer.

It took m years to get back in the water. The fifties fad was 'drop 'em off
the end of the pier and wait til they swim'. I sank!

For a long time, feet always touched bottom....
--
La gvatanta vulpo (The vigilant fox) who later couldn't be coaxed out.
Skytech

Skytech

Oct 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/14/00
Checked my chess book and it says it was originally a board game
(chaturanga) for four each controlling eight pieces as a king, rook, knight,
bishop and four pawns. The rook was an elephant, theknight was a horse and
the bishop was a ship while the pawns were foot-soldiers. Opposite players
were allied.

Later, the allied sides were played by one person. One of the two allied
kings became a chancellor who could only move ons square diagonally around
the king then later became the queen with the power of both rook and bishop.

It shows one set with the knight as seraphs and the bishops as a bird-headed
god. Another set is various frogs. A Burmese version has elephants, horses
and camels while an 8th cent. chinese set are all rats. Then there's a
mongolian one with the queen pieces as either lion or tiger, horses and
camels for knight and bishop and various birds for pawns.

[Chessmen; Octopus Press 1973]

--
La gvatanta vulpo (The vigilant fox)

Skytech
^^
<@@>
.]

Luphinus Tursiops Wolphin

Oct 14, 2000, 9:54:03 PM10/14/00
(Sorry about the other one, I should pay attention more often, the
corrections to this are as follows)

I was literally born in the water (one of those 80's fads). I'm a very

good swimmer. I once was pushed into the shamu aquarium when I was

working at the Hubbs here in San Diego [while wearing the shamu zoot],

I swam it that... tho getting out of the water with a 30 pound suit
full of about 60 pounds of water wasn't as easy =P

Direwolf

Oct 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/15/00
Damn its taken me a long time to get back to my questions.
RL is a harsh mistress.

In article <ptPB5.329$_X.5...@news7.onvoy.net>,
"Direwolf" <dire...@polarcommhuman.com> wrote:

> Conventions: Do you attend conventions?

Yes, but just one at the moment. Next year I hope to expand. But the
way life is going I will be lucky to get a 15 minute break much less go
to a convention

>If so, which ones and are any furry conventions?

Gen Con, which is not specifically furry. Although I have seen furs
and furry artists there.

>If not, do you hope to attend any in the future?

I do hope to make it to some furry conventions.

> Would you attend a convention that was not furry?

Yes, if it is gaming. I might go to a scifi convention but it does not
hold that much appeal to me.

>Is going to conventions important for your expressing and feeling
furry?

No, but I really enjoyed wearing the tail and ears to Gen Con. The
reactions alone made the trip worth while.

>Do you wear a fursuit to conventions?

Just a tail and ears as I said.

Would you recommend going to conventions to others?

Why yes I would.

>If so, which conventions and why?

Well I would suggest Gen Con to anyone as there are so many different
events and so many people. Although it is mostly gaming, there is much
more to see and do then just play games. It is also great to meet
people and then to see them year after year. Because I am in the RPGA
I often meet the same people and its great to say "Hey weren't you the
depressed mage? Oh Yeah, I remember." And it is a real boost to the
ego when people actually seek you out to play with again.

>What do you do at conventions?

What don't I do, my stars. Really for Gen Con I am a game player and I
try to pack as many events as possible together. Otherwise I eat and
check out the auction and dealers room. That and stand in line for
hours for event tickets.

>Is that common for conventions goers, or is it just want you happen to
do?

Pretty common.

>Do you have any convention stories to share with Homestead?

None that would really be interesting to the furry community, although
I do have a couple pictures and descriptions up on my site (go to the
photo section).

> Food: Ok, I have asked about meat and veggies, but how about a few
general
> food questions. What do you like to eat?

Meat, pizza, hotdogs (especially chilidogs), hamburgers, potato chips,
rice, potatos, corn, green beans, subs, hamburger helper, tacos, did I
mention pizza?

>Do you actually cook?

Yes I do. I can cook all the stuff mentioned above, plus I make a nice
tater tot casserole, and three layer meat and bean dip.

>Do you like your food rather simple and plain or complex?

Simple. I rarely like complex meals. Just meat and potatos kind of
thing.

>Spicy, bland, or in between?

I prefer spicy

>What condiments do you use often?

Ketchup, Miricle Whip, mustard

>What spices do you prefer to use?

Pepper (lots and lots), light salt (Which is both Sodium Chloride and
Potassium Chloride), Mrs. Dash

>What style of cooking do you like (either that you do yourself, or you
just seek out)? Do you prefer any particular type of ethnic food?

I like Mexican, american-Italian, some Chinese. But as I said, just
plain home cooking is my favorite.

>Do you eat with your hands or with normal utensils, or something
else?

Depends on the food, but I prefer my hands if possible.

>Do you eat primarily one type of food, or do you like a well rounded
meal?

I do like a well rounded meal, with a

>How many times a day do you eat?

Two with a snack normally

>Any meal you particularly like, or one that you always seem to skip?

Although I like breakfast, I often miss it.

>Are any of your choices influenced by furriness in any way?

Not consciously

>Have your food choices changed because of furriness?

Nope, ate meat before, still do.

>Do you have any recipes to share?

Maybe, would anyone like to try to put together a Homestead recipe book?

> Names: Is your real name furry in any way? (You don't have to give
your
> real name if you don't want to).

My last name is the name of a fish.

>Have you or might you legally change your name to something that
better expresses your furry nature?

Actually I have been looking into it. Although I only plan to change
my middle name, which I don't like and I have no conection to.

>The screen name you use on alf, why did you choose it?

Its my email account name. It was something that was not taken at
Polarcomm. But I chose it because I had always liked wolves, and dire
seemed a good term for my personality and outlook on life. And
Direwolf is so damn cool. :)

>Any other names you use that have a particular meaning for you?

Just my furry mate's name

>If you could have any name, what would it be?

Slartibartfast. No kidding there...I would rather have Zaphod
Beeblebrox

> Do you think there is power in a name?

Most definitely. One way to break a person's will and sense of self is
to take away their name.

--
Direwolf
http://www.direwolfsden.com
e-mail: dire...@direwolfsdenhuman.com
(dehumanize it to reach me)

Perriloux

Oct 18, 2000, 1:07:12 AM10/18/00

"Khromat" wrote :

> Heck, if you manage to keep a few, I'd me more than happy to take them
> off your hands. ;3

They're all done fur this year. I'll keep you in mind for
next year tho.

phoeni...@my-deja.com

Oct 18, 2000, 2:22:51 AM10/18/00

> Conventions: Do you attend conventions? If so, which ones and are
any
> furry conventions?

I certainly do. And all of them are furry, and most likely always will
be. Oh, hell....maybe I'd go to a trekker's convention.

If not, do you hope to attend any in the future?

Yes, I hope to be at the next further confusion. ..don't think I'll
make the Anthrocon next year.

Is going to conventions important for your expressing and feeling

> furry? Do you wear a fursuit to conventions?

Yes, being around other furs is important to me. And the experience
itself is quite meaningful to me. Being with furiends and sharing
laughter...having a great time.

Yes, I do wanna fursuit, and I'll have one at some point. I always wear
my tail when at a con. *grin*

Would you recommend going to

> conventions to others? If so, which conventions and why? What do
you do at
> conventions?

Yeah, sure. All of them.

The last two conventions I was at, sucked. I didn't have a good time ,
I didn't get the chance to do what I wanted. But, I do suppose the next
convention I am at, I'll make up for the lost fun. *grin*

Is that common for conventions goers, or is it just want you

> happen to do? Do you have any convention stories to share with
Homestead?

No, I do not. But I promise I will for the next con I go to.

> Food: Ok, I have asked about meat and veggies, but how about a few
general
> food questions. What do you like to eat?

Rare, almost raw meat. Lots of beef and things that carnivores like.
Things that taste good. (which, of course is indeed a broad spectrum.)

Do you actually cook?

Yes, I am a wonderful cook and I never cease to amaze myself in the
culinary arts.

Do you
> like your food rather simple and plain or complex?

complex as hell, thank you.

Spicy, bland, or in
> between?

depends. I do suppose, spicy hits the spot

What condiments do you use often? What spices do you prefer to
> use?

Musturd, lots of it. Tartar sauce. Anything from Arby's or taco bell.

What style of cooking do you like (either that you do yourself, or you
> just seek out)? Do you prefer any particular type of ethnic food?

Yes, I like american food. true american stuff....y'know that stuff you
find in the south. BBQs from texas...

Do you
> eat with your hands or with normal utensils, or something else?

Depends on my mood and/or what I am eating.

Do you eat
> primarily one type of food, or do you like a well rounded meal?

Whatever I can find to eat.

How many
> times a day do you eat?

Whenever I can eat. Usually twice a day.

Any meal you particularly like, or one that you
> always seem to skip?

Um, well. I eat lunch and dinner. that's it.

Are any of your choices influenced by furriness in any
> way?

Not really. I do like raw blood though.. *grin*

Have your food choices changed because of furriness? Do you have any
> recipes to share?

No, not really come to think of it.
No, I usually make up stuff as I go along.

> Names: Is your real name furry in any way? (You don't have to give
your

> real name if you don't want to). Have you or might you legally
change your
> name to something that better expresses your furry nature? The
screen name
> you use on alf, why did you choose it? Any other names you use that
have a
> particular meaning for you? If you could have any name, what would
it be?

> Do you think there is power in a name?

I hate my RL name and it is to be changed ASAP to the enivitable,
phoenix wolf.

my name phoenix is sacred to me. I discovered it in a vision a good
long while ago. I used to think it was the name of my spirit guide, but
I grew more and more aware of my furriness until I became phoenix in
all aspects.

tawk aboot a late response to this email...I guess I've been ignoring
this post for a while. Now I find it much much later.

--
~phoenix wolf~

Founder of the Pawed Poets Society
(web site in construction)

fur code 1.3:
FCWmw3ac A- C+ D H++ M P++++ R T++++$ W Z Sm+++$ RLAT a c++ !d e+
f++++ !h iwf j p-- sm++

http://www.furnation.com/phoenix

senshi...@hotmail.com

Oct 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/18/00
Nope, I don't go to conventions, furry or otherwise. They do sound like
a good place to get laid though.

I like to eat bland, crunchy food like potato chips and nuts. I love
meat though, I just hate to cook.

I'll change my name to Anya legally whenever I have the money. Sort of
a funeral for my old life I guess...but that's a long, boring story.

Anya

> [...]

many
> times a day do you eat? Any meal you particularly like, or one that
you
> always seem to skip? Are any of your choices influenced by furriness
in any
> way? Have your food choices changed because of furriness? Do you

have any
> recipes to share?
>

> Names: Is your real name furry in any way? (You don't have to give
your
> real name if you don't want to). Have you or might you legally
change your
> name to something that better expresses your furry nature? The
screen name
> you use on alf, why did you choose it? Any other names you use that
have a
> particular meaning for you? If you could have any name, what would

Qit el-Remel

Oct 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/21/00
In article <ptPB5.329$_X.5...@news7.onvoy.net>,
"Direwolf" <dire...@polarcommhuman.com> wrote:

> Conventions: Do you attend conventions?

Occasionally.

> If so, which ones and are any furry conventions?

FurCon, ConFurence, and a local sci-fi convention.

>Would you attend a convention that was not furry?

I think so. I've done so in the past.

> Is going to conventions important for your expressing and feeling
> furry?

Say what?

> Do you wear a fursuit to conventions?

I don't like fursuits (wearing them, that is) but I might wear a mask.

Would you recommend going to conventions to others?

Yes.

> If so, which conventions and why?

FurCon and ConFurence.

Actually, I'd mainly recommend that you attend a convention if the theme
is something that interests you.

> What do you do at conventions?

Watch movies, go to SIGs, buy comics, buy art, show off my attempts
at art and try to pick up art tips from anyone who'll give them.

> Is that common for conventions goers, or is it just want you happen to
> do?

I don't know or particularly care what everyone else is doing.

> Do you have any convention stories to share with Homestead?

Not really.

> What do you like to eat?

Anything edible. That rules out escargot, caviar, asparagus, cheap
candy, and anything manufactured by certain fast-food chains.

> Do you actually cook?

Yes. But accuse me of being domestic, and I will make your life a
constant agony.

> Do you like your food rather simple and plain or complex?

That depends. I like macaroni and cheese (NOT the canned kind), and I
like beef Wellington. The simplicity or complexity does not matter.

> Spicy, bland, or in between?

Usually spicy.

> What condiments do you use often?

A-1 sauce, Tabasco (the red kind), ketchup, horseradish, ranch dressing,
bleu cheese dressing, guacamole and cream cheese on various entrees.
(Not all of the above at once, mind you!)

I also like dark chocolate syrup and maraschino cherries on ginger ice
cream >:) (ain't I a weird qitty).

> What spices do you prefer to use?

Anything strong.

> What style of cooking do you like (either that you do yourself, or you
> just seek out)?

I mainly cook Italian-type food or things like soup when I do cook. I
try to be adventurous if I'm getting food elsewhere.

> Do you prefer any particular type of ethnic food?

Chinese.

> Do you eat with your hands or with normal utensils, or something else?

I almost invariably use chopsticks for Chinese food.

> Do you eat primarily one type of food, or do you like a well rounded
> meal?

I get severe cravings for meat, but I'll usually get a salad as well.

> How many times a day do you eat?

2 0r 3.

> Any meal you particularly like, or one that you always seem to skip?

Not really.

> Are any of your choices influenced by furriness in any way?

Kitties are carnivorous.

> Have your food choices changed because of furriness?

No, kitty has always been carnivorous because kitty tried to give up red
meat at age 8 and kitty's protein cravings became so severe that the
plan backfired.

> Do you have any recipes to share?

I'll send you my recipe for primavera casserole if you ask for it.
Maybe.

> Is your real name furry in any way?

No, but my mother's name is Sandra :)

>Have you or might you legally change your name to something that better
expresses your furry nature?

Doubtful.

> The screen name you use on alf, why did you choose it?

It means "cat of the desert" and is one of several Arabic names for a
sand cat. Also, it just sounds good.

> Any other names you use that have a particular meaning for you?

Not really.

> If you could have any name, what would it be?

There's a Swahiki name which means "kitten" (I think it's "Pahka," but
I'm not sure); and I've always liked the names Aziza (my mom and dad
named their pet cat that. Go fig!) and Shulamith. Probably one of
those last two,

> Do you think there is power in a name?

Yeah; if someone knows your name, they can do a lot more screwing with
you than if they don't know you from a can of paint.

-Qit

--
http://qitelremel.ca.webjump.com
FFC3a/F[Sand cat (felis margarita harrisoni)]3a A C+ D H M# P++ R+ T+++

cat

Oct 27, 2000, 6:30:39 AM10/27/00
On Sun, 01 Oct 2000 23:08:05 GMT, "Direwolf"
<dire...@polarcommhuman.com> wrote:

>Conventions: Do you attend conventions?

Only when I am paid or comped for them (so far)

> If so, which ones and are anyfurry conventions?

I have attended a number of professional and SF cons but none
specifical;ly furry

> If not, do you hope to attend any in the future?

I am thinking of it

> Would you attend a convention that was notfurry?

Already have

>Is going to conventions important for your expressing and feeling furry?

No

> Do you wear a fursuit to conventions?

Not exactly fursuits. I do wear some of my body rigs (usually
because I am promoting the film it is from)
> Would you recommend going toconventions to others?
Yes. For fans they are fun, for professionals they are
necessary

> If so, which conventions and why?

I'm not going to touch that one and tick off the staff of one
I forgot to mention.=^-^=

> What do you do at conventions?

Usually demonstrate and discuss my art, be on panels, do demos
and the inevitable studio hype

>Is that common for conventions goers, or is it just want you
>happen to do?

Hopefully it isn't all that common. there aren't a lot of
people in my field

>Do you have any convention stories to share with Homestead?

there is always the one about how Bob, Harry, and I stuck
Harlan with the bill for his "testimonial banquet"(those who have
heard it will know who we are) but we won't go there

>Food: Ok, I have asked about meat and veggies, but how about a few general

>food questions. What do you like to eat?
Meat and potatoes (yes they DO have an "e" in them when
plural)
> Do you actually cook?
Yes. that's how I put myself through college (oh, those poor
customers!)

> Do you like your food rather simple and plain or complex?

Simple

> Spicy, bland, or in between?

Bland. I have too little stomach, etc. left to handle anything
but bland.

> What condiments do you use often?

Candy Mints? I like York Peppermints.. Wait you mean... well,
I use none other than salt

> What spices do you prefer to use?

Salt is all

> What style of cooking do you like (either that you do yourself, or you
>just seek out)?

Pretty much meat and potatoes

> Do you prefer any particular type of ethnic food?

British. Hey a good black pudding or bubble and squeak are
ethnic, too

> Do you eat with your hands or with normal utensils, or something else?

It depends on the food and the circumstances.

> Do you eat primarily one type of food, or do you like a well rounded meal?

Mostly one type but I do vary the veggies, etc

> How many times a day do you eat?

depends. There is no fixed pattern.

> Any meal you particularly like, or one that youalways seem to skip?

I like dinner best

> Are any of your choices influenced by furriness in any way?

Could be. Cats are carnivores.

> Have your food choices changed because of furriness?
No

> Do you have any recipes to share?

Not that would fit. I love to bake, though

>Names: Is your real name furry in any way? (You don't have to give your
>real name if you don't want to).

Yes. cat IS my real name (you should see the looks it gets
when a cop checks my driver's license)

> Have you or might you legally change your
>name to something that better expresses your furry nature?

No. I like mine just fine =^-^=

> The screen name you use on alf, why did you choose it?

Because it is the name I use everywhere

> Any other names you use that have a particular meaning for you?
No

>> If you could have any name, what would it be?

Mine

>Do you think there is power in a name?

Could be. Psychologically for certain and one word names
really have the power of confusion (Is cat your first or last name?
Yes)

Direwolf

Oct 29, 2000, 2:18:40 PM10/29/00
Occupation: What is your job?

I am a "Laboratory Technician I" at a soil testing lab, which is a front for
an eco-terrorist organization, primarily concerned with chloride analysis in
both soil and plant tissue. Also I do much of their in house computer
programming, general computer troubleshooting, and hardware instalation and
upgrading. Sounds impressive, funny I think I should get paid more.

Why did you choose it?

This is a small town and there are not many job opportunities. Several
years ago I started just helping seasonally, then recently I needed a job,
and they needed someone, and my mate and I like this town I took the job and
here I am. Its a pretty friendly place to work, but now it is the busy
season and it gets boring and tedious.

Does your job involve nature or animals?

Not really. I do test soil from all over the world, and supposedly this
helps the environment as farmers can just put the fertilizers and such that
they really need. And some of the work is for projects which study the
environment and nature in one way or another.

Do you think your job is furry in any way?

Not really.

Did furriness influence your choice in occupation?

No, lack of money did.

What do you think the ultimate furry job would be?

I think it would be to study animal behavior.

If you could have any job in the world, what would it be?

Writer, still holding onto the dream...

Night Life: After your job or school, what do you do normally?

Come home, go online, snuggle Black Panther, play video games, try to keep
my artistic and writing skills from deteriorating.

Do you go to any furry events or clubs or anything on a regular basis?

I don't know of any furry events or clubs near enough to drive to at night.

What is your choice of entertainment? (TV, theater, movies, other).

I usually watch TV. I like movies, but more often rent. Few movies seem
worth the cost, as they just seem to be glorified television shows.

Do you like to go out, or are you a home body?

I'm a home body, but that may be because there is little nightlife here but
bars, and I don't drink.

Do you go out alone, or with one other person, or with groups of people?

I am often out with Black Panther, but sometimes I am off by myself.

When you go out, is it often on a date?

Well I don't have to date, I have a mate already. But it is very nice to go
out with her.

Is night life important to your sense of furriness?

The night is, but night life is not.

Computers: Do you use computers a lot?

Yes I use them almost continuously.

How do you use your computer (play video games, mostly work, just surf and
chat)?

Work, games, surf, write and art. I actually use it for quite a few things.

Are you just a common user, or a computer guru?

I am not a full guru but I am far from a common user. I know more then most
of the people around me, so I can fake it if nothing else.

Do you use Windows or some other OS?

We are Microsoft, resistance is futile, you will be assimulated.
I swear at Windows a lot.

Do you use MSIE, Netscape, or some other browser?

Internet Exploder...Explorer, sorry. Netscape is fine, but I have not found
it really all that much better then Explorer. Netscape ran iChat better
then Exploder, but Exploder expresses HTML Javascript better (IMNSHO), which
makes my site look better.

Do you use...ICQ, IRC, AIM, YIM, or other instant messaging systems?
ICQ and mIRC, I have AOL and Yahoo! but don't use them. I rarely chat any
more.

How much do you check out Usenet and the newsgroups?

Like every ten seconds.

Do you e-mail a lot?

Not really. Most of my e-mails go unanswered as well.

Do you use computers a lot at work or school?

Continuously. If I am not testing soil, then I am programming or installing
some new software or hardware.

Do you like computers?

No, I like some of the things they can do, but I don't like computers.

Do you do any furry role-playing online?

Nope

Are computers important for expressing your furriness?

The ability to communicate with others is important to my expressing both of
myself and my furriness. It is through computers and the Internet that I
was introduced to furriness and met my furry mate.

Has being furry made you use computers more or less?

I use them about the same, as in all the time.

Are computers helping the world, or destroying it?

Computers are helping people destroy the world.
Computers are frustrating, and they do not solve nearly as many problems as
people would like to think, and they have created a bunch of new ones. But
then it comes down to us humans and what we want and how we use the
computers. What a computer is, what it can do, is up to the designers and
the consumers who demand it. Humans are quickly giving computers more and
more power including the ability to design new computers. For all that a
computer does, it is not up to the computer to solve our problems, even
though it seems we would like them to, it is up to each of us to solve
problems.

Well at last count on whether to post sexuality and religion questions goes
something like:
For: 14
Against: 3
Maybe: 3
No opinion: 8
The questions, if posted, will not be posted for another couple weeks at
least.