Graveyard of memories

Lakiya Windstalker

Feb 15, 2018, 8:00:17 AM2/15/18
Every once in a while I think about the homestead days, those were some good times. I was glad to have spent some of my puphood here for it was a place of beginnings in my life.

*lights a few candles for the departed at the hearth*

Dan Skunk

Mar 9, 2018, 7:15:58 PM3/9/18
On 2018-02-15 08:00 AM, Lakiya Windstalker wrote:
> Every once in a while I think about the homestead days, those were some good times. I was glad to have spent some of my puphood here for it was a place of beginnings in my life.
>
> *lights a few candles for the departed at the hearth*

I missed out on homestead. :/ *curls up under blankets*

tom

May 25, 2018, 9:36:42 PM5/25/18
Who says it has to be over? We could also start back up a secret club
on USENET.

Cuddly Battleship Kattywampus

May 29, 2018, 6:59:46 PM5/29/18
Amen.

Dan Skunk

May 30, 2018, 9:29:57 PM5/30/18
That's true. We could. Well, I didn't go anywhere, anyway.

Mr Cougar

May 31, 2018, 8:28:21 PM5/31/18
I do miss the homestead too. Good to hear from you again. I met you irl many years ago. :)

Smrgol

Jun 1, 2018, 7:40:28 AM6/1/18
We could also start a private group at Facebook - a lot of the group are already members.

-};>~

Dan Skunk

Jun 1, 2018, 5:50:04 PM6/1/18
On 2018-06-01 07:40 AM, Smrgol wrote:
> We could also start a private group at Facebook - a lot of the group are already members.
>
> -};>~

What's wrong with starting a group on usenet? Like wouldn't it make more
sense to have a usenet group on usenet?

tom

Jun 1, 2018, 8:49:30 PM6/1/18
I would not use FaceBook if you paid me to. That guy who owns it,
Zuckerberg something should be in prison if you ask me. Besides, we
have everything we need for forums right here on USENET.

--
_______________________________________
< Beam me up, Scotty! It ate my phaser! >

Mr Cougar

Jun 2, 2018, 5:55:41 AM6/2/18
Too much drama on Facebook for me.

Smrgol

Jun 2, 2018, 8:01:40 AM6/2/18
I kinda agree about the drama, but there quite a few from this group who use it.

It is possible to stay "under the radar" there using private groups and a very selective friends list.

I would like to get this place revved up again. There's got to be a place to set up something private that we could all use.

-};>~

Dan Skunk

Jun 2, 2018, 10:25:44 AM6/2/18
Mailing list?

I dunno. I don't see why it really needs to be private. Maybe part of
what made it work was that is was public and everyone was welcome to join.

Not like we'll be sharing sensitive information or something, right?

tom

Jun 4, 2018, 11:40:51 AM6/4/18
If you need privacy just --------BEGIN OpenPGP MESSAGE----------

/ America!! I saw it all!! Vomiting! \
| Waving! JERRY FALWELLING into your void |
| tube of UHF oblivion!! SAFEWAY of the |
\ mind ... /

Snuhwolf

Jun 4, 2018, 9:48:48 PM6/4/18
On 06/02/2018 03:55 AM, Mr Cougar wrote:
> Too much drama on Facebook for me.

Twitter is where its at :)

--

if you don't like my poasts don't read em!
Не читайте эти сообщения!

tom

Jun 5, 2018, 2:55:10 PM6/5/18
On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 19:48:47 -0600
Snuhwolf <snuh...@netscape.net> wrote:

> On 06/02/2018 03:55 AM, Mr Cougar wrote:
> > Too much drama on Facebook for me.
> >
> Twitter is where its at :)

Oh boi, YEAHNO.

/ Never argue with a man who buys ink by \
\ the barrel. /

Snuhwolf

Jun 7, 2018, 4:42:28 PM6/7/18
On 5/31/2018 6:28 PM, Mr Cougar wrote:
> I do miss the homestead too. Good to hear from you again. I met you irl many years ago. :)

North Caroliney, right? Or somewhere on the east coast you live.

Snuhwolf

Jun 7, 2018, 4:44:01 PM6/7/18
On 6/5/2018 12:55 PM, tom wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 19:48:47 -0600
> Snuhwolf <snuh...@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>> On 06/02/2018 03:55 AM, Mr Cougar wrote:
>>> Too much drama on Facebook for me.
>>>
>> Twitter is where its at :)
>>

> Oh boi, YEAHNO.

well, its where you can look at videos, and theres furries on there as well.

tom

Jun 8, 2018, 10:22:42 PM6/8/18
On Thu, 07 Jun 2018 14:42:55 -0600
Snuhwolf <snuh...@netscape.net> wrote:

> On 6/5/2018 12:55 PM, tom wrote:
> > On Mon, 4 Jun 2018 19:48:47 -0600
> > Snuhwolf <snuh...@netscape.net> wrote:

> >> Twitter is where its at :)
> >>

> > Oh boi, YEAHNO.
> >
> well, its where you can look at videos, and theres furries on there
> as well.

I prefer Mastodon over Twitter. There are lots of furries on Mastodon
as well so I am not missing out.

/ * dpkg ponders: 'C++' should have been \
| called 'D' |
| |
\ -- #Debian /

tom

Jun 8, 2018, 10:24:11 PM6/8/18
On Thu, 07 Jun 2018 15:39:07 -0400
Dennis Lee Bieber <wlf...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 05:01:39 -0700 (PDT), Smrgol
> <davi...@optonline.net> declaimed the following:
>
> >I kinda agree about the drama, but there quite a few from this group
> >who use it.
> >
> >It is possible to stay "under the radar" there using private groups
> >and a very selective friends list.
> >

> Anything that required constant on-line and does a page load
> every time you move from message to message is a no-go for me (there
> are only about three forums I visit that do not have batch
> download/upload capability). Heck, I don't even like /mailing lists/
> -- Usenet clients are so much better for multiple reader handling.

agreed

/ * dpkg ponders: 'C++' should have been \
| called 'D' |
| |
\ -- #Debian /
\
\

Snuhwolf

Jul 2, 2018, 1:41:14 PM7/2/18
On 06/08/2018 08:22 PM, tom wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jun 2018 14:42:55 -0600
> Snuhwolf <snuh...@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>> On 6/5/2018 12:55 PM, tom wrote:

>>> Oh boi, YEAHNO.
>>>
>> well, its where you can look at videos, and theres furries on there
>> as well.
>
> I prefer Mastodon over Twitter. There are lots of furries on Mastodon
> as well so I am not missing out.

I'll have to g00gle that up...hmmm..."mastodon"....

Tuoran Zhang

Jan 6, 2019, 12:17:49 AM1/6/19
On 2018-02-15 8:00 a.m., Lakiya Windstalker wrote:
> Every once in a while I think about the homestead days, those were some good times. I was glad to have spent some of my puphood here for it was a place of beginnings in my life.
>
> *lights a few candles for the departed at the hearth*

Well, at least I can still browse through Google Groups and see what it
was like. I'm too young to have experienced it first hand. :(

Oh, and how did they prevent spam then?

tom

Jan 13, 2019, 4:12:43 AM1/13/19
On Sun, 06 Jan 2019 13:35:15 -0500
Dennis Lee Bieber <wlf...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 00:17:46 -0500, Tuoran Zhang <tiger...@163.com>
> declaimed the following:
>

> >Oh, and how did they prevent spam then?
>
> There wasn't that much -- and what there was could often be
> quickly filtered out (a feature of NOT using a web-based interface:
> most all news readers support filters). On the active groups I track,
> most spam seems to come FROM GoogleGroups users -- so killing all
> messages from GoogleGroups (or GMAIL) tends to keep things clean.

You have an ISP that still provides USENET access?

--
_________________________________
< I never did it that way before. >

tom

Jan 14, 2019, 6:30:00 PM1/14/19
On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 14:03:12 -0500
Dennis Lee Bieber <wlf...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> At one time they ran their own servers (east coast and
> west coast yet), but subcontracted to Giganews under those domain
> names. Earthlink did discontinue the service for new customers about
> 5 or 6 years ago, but pre-existing customers were grand-fathered.
Yeah, I've been on Giganews before. They have really anal peering
policies that require you to pay them for peering. They are trying to
centralized USENET or something. I'm suprised I can communicate with
you here, most of the time when I was using Giganews, there were always
netsplits.

--
______________________________________
/ A Linux machine! Because a 486 is a \

Kavus Kazian

Jan 8, 2021, 3:14:14 AM1/8/21
On Sun, 01 Jul 2018 20:57:16 -0600
There's also Element/Matrix.org, which is a great end-to-end encrypted
service that is also convenient to use. But I see nothing wrong with
simply setting up a Usenet server somewhere.

tom

Jan 8, 2021, 3:51:49 PM1/8/21
matrix is a gimmick by a startup. Try XMPP instead.

Message has been deleted

tom

Mar 21, 2021, 4:52:35 PM3/21/21
On Sun, 21 Mar 2021 12:14:10 -0400
Dennis Lee Bieber <baron.w...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Mar 2021 14:42:26 -0700 (PDT), Sabbath Gold
> <sabba...@gmail.com> declaimed the following:
>

> >Are Usenet newsgroups still completely unregulated?
>
> Much of the alt.* hierarchy is unmoderated. Some of the big
> specific hierarchies (comp.*, soc.*, etc.) have moderated groups --
> one's posts get sent to the defined moderator(s) for approval before
> they appear in the group; if one behaves, they may eventually be
> added to an auto-approve list by the moderator(s).

that's interesting. I wonder of that works.

Nomen Nescio

Apr 14, 2021, 4:51:27 PM4/14/21
Works fine; just try to find a moderated group and post there.