Being Furry in Public

Kitsuné

Sep 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/5/96

Ok, lesse. For starters, I'll let people know That I consider myself very
much a Furry, simply because I love anthropomorphic comics, shows and art,
and am a furry artist and wannabe animator to boot. SO I accept the
percieved stigmata of the Fandom in general because it's a group I feel I
belong to. Though that all may change at CFE, you know. heh!

Alright, the other day, I recieved an Usagi Yojimbo lapel pin for some
work I do on Todd Bustillo's UY Dojo. (Writing up story synopsis for the
Mirage issues of UY). Anyways,to save a long story, this pin now has a
perminant and prominent place on my jacket. It got me wondering if and how
other people declare they are 'Furry'. Do you keep it hidden, and look
normal? Do you wear Warner Brothers ties to the office, or T-shirts with
the FurryMUCK logo on it? Or are you the sort of person who will wear dog
collars and fake ears to your graduation? (Someone did this once
apparently). DOn't bother about what you do in private, (I really don't
want to know) but what you wear, and how you act in public that you feel
marks you as being Furry. Thanks for Indulging my curiosity. =)

--
Until the Next Turn!
Kitsuné

"Did you hear what he called me? He called me a demon! And hellspawn! I mean do I even look like a demon? I'm a fucking Teddy Bear!"
-Bruin Bear, Shadows Fall

Jack Furlong - HillBluffer

Sep 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/6/96

In article <droth-05099...@remote245.compusmart.ab.ca>,

dr...@compusmart.ab.ca (Kitsuné) wrote:
>Ok, lesse. For starters, I'll let people know That I consider myself very
>much a Furry, simply because I love anthropomorphic comics, shows and art,
>and am a furry artist and wannabe animator to boot. SO I accept the
>percieved stigmata of the Fandom in general because it's a group I feel I
>belong to. Though that all may change at CFE, you know. heh!

Yep, that'll do it alright... ;)

>It got me wondering if and how other people declare they are 'Furry'.
>Do you keep it hidden, and look normal?

Nope, I don't try to.
At my previous place of employment, I had my furry art posted on the
walls of my cube, along with my home e-mail address, and web page
address...everyone knew, pretty much...<grin>

>Do you wear Warner Brothers ties to the office, or T-shirts with
>the FurryMUCK logo on it?

Both.
Though I've been wearing a green tie with my FurryMUCK character
embroidered on it (by my wife) to my job interviews
(I'm looking for work right now).

HillBluffer @ FurryMUCK, Furtoonia, FluffMUCK
Jack Furlong - journeyman Furry & Anime Artist
Bearly Sane Studios Po Box 9104 Largo, Fla 33771-9104
Home Page - http://www.netcom.com/~jfurlong
"Now just shut up, and let me think!"
Aahz - Another Fine Myth - Robert Asprin

Captain Packrat

Sep 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/6/96

Kitsuné <dr...@compusmart.ab.ca> wrote:
> It got me
> wondering if and how other people declare they are 'Furry'.
> Do you keep it hidden, and look normal?

I wore a pair of home-made mouse ears and a tail to the
San Diego Comic-Con this year. That in itself wasn't all that
strange, uncommon perhaps, but people in costume are not all
that unusual at a con.

However, in order to get to the furry party after the Con, I
had to walk through the Horton Plaza shopping center, a place
where costumes are very out of place. It was kinda fun.
There was is one kid who said to his mother, "Look mommy,
Fivel!", and the mother said, "Oh my God!"

I've redesigned the ears, and made a much better tail, and
will wear them to CF8. I was thinking of wearing them while
on the train to CF8, but that might be overdoing it a bit.

--
Captain Packrat (Captain on FurryMUCK)
Fur Central ---> http://www.sandiego.sisna.com/captpakrat/

Furry Code 1.2 (available from the above site)
FRM4 A++>+++ C->+ D++ H+++ M+++ P+++ R+ T++++ W Z+>+++
Sm+ RLTI a cn++ d- e++ f++++ h+ iwf+++ sm#

If you're furry and you know it, Hug the Mouse!

O. .O
==V==

Matt J. McCullar

Sep 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/6/96

I don't wear costumes, and I rarely wear T-shirts to work with anything
printed on them. At parties, though, it's something else. I didn't win any
prizes with my Pink Floyd shirt the year previously at the T-shirt party, so I
made plans to get something the next year. I wore one of Joe Rosales' "Planet
of the Scantily-Clad Ring-Tailed Lemur Babes" shirts (which was accidentally
printed backwards) and won "Most Unusual."

At another party I wore the '95 ConFurence East shirt (one of the best furry
shirts ever done), drawn by Terrie Smith. Raised a few eyebrows, but everyone
loved it.

If I can't find a ready-made shirt with a giraffe patch pattern all over it, I
might make my own.... Carole Curtis made a super-duper giraffe shirt for me
last year, but I have to be careful washing it.

Oh, yes -- I do wear my Erma Felna pin on my sport jacket at (almost) all
times. It's clean, it's cute, it's colorful, and when someone recognizes her
it's a real thrill.

Matt J. McCullar

ShadowSong

Sep 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/7/96

> Ok, lesse. For starters, I'll let people know That I consider myself very
> much a Furry,

"Let" people know?

> ..wondering if and how other people declare they are 'Furry'.
"Declare" they are Furry?

> ... what you wear, and how you act in public that you feel

> marks you as being Furry. Thanks for Indulging my curiosity. =)

Oh. I see. You mean "what do I do to tell all those people that
I'm Furry" ?
*giggles* Snarl. Put up animal posters EVERYWHERE. Wear animal jewelry.
Constantly complain that your landlord won't allow pets. Constantly
remark on how neat it is to live in a neighborhood where pets run free
so you can converse with them, make friends, play.. Pay more attention
to the animals than their humans. I do all that. I consider it normal.
(smile)
I'm sorry, but.. I just don't care what "they" think. I have mannerisms
that I suppose mark me as a Furry (I hiss, snarl and growl when mad -
who I'm hissing or growling at doesn't matter); I converse with cats in
public - in their language, on their level - while ignoring people; I hug
a lot (people/animals I know); I like stuffed animals and statuettes of
animals and magnets with cats and I have *counts* about 3 cat-picture
calendars here and a couple more cat-picture calendars at work; and so on.
I suppose if I really think about it I could list more things that "mark"
me as Furry, but why bother? I'm not trying to "display" myself, I'm just
being my normal-for-me self. Which happens to be Furry. *grin*

(prrrrrr...)
I don't see the difference between telling people I'm Furry, and telling
them I'm (for example) blonde. :)
It'd be fairly obvious to another Furry from my normal-for-me actions that
I'm probably Furry. And why would I want to tell people uninterested in
Furryness (or negatively interested!) that I'm Furry?
They can figure it out just as easily, since I don't censor my Furry actions.
What do I wear? *grumble* I don't have _enough_ wolf/fox/raccoon/adorable
animal t-shirts!! :):) Altho.. thinking about that.. I _do_ wear a panthress
pendant. An obvious one. Every day. (No reason, really... I just don't feel
properly attired without it...)

I hope this helped a bit... I'm rather tired (Friday night, y'know? :)
BTW: "They" probably think I'm nuts. I don't care. I'm me. So there. :):)
(Hey, that rhymed!):):):):)

*hugs*
-ShadowSong (this was NOT a rant. This was sharing information. OK? :)

lneh...@vianet.on.ca

Sep 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/7/96

Kitsuné <dr...@compusmart.ab.ca> wrote:

<snip interesting stuff>

> perminant and prominent place on my jacket. It got me wondering if and how
> other people declare they are 'Furry'. Do you keep it hidden, and look
> normal? Do you wear Warner Brothers ties to the office, or T-shirts with
> the FurryMUCK logo on it? Or are you the sort of person who will wear dog
> collars and fake ears to your graduation? (Someone did this once
> apparently). DOn't bother about what you do in private, (I really don't

> want to know) but what you wear, and how you act in public that you feel

> marks you as being Furry. Thanks for Indulging my curiosity. =)

I sometimes keep my furry side hidden depending on where I am. In my
own ultra conservative town they simply wouldn't understand any of it.
I frequently wear tank tops or t-shirts with wolves on them and, when I
go out of town, I'll also wear my dog collar. My family and friends
have been in the receiving end of back scritches, neck scritches, rubs
behind the ears. Recently I noticed I'll *erf* when asked a question
and one time at a drive-thru fast-food place I barked and got a dog
biscuit! :)

Lone Heart
So many ideas, so little time.

Jack Furlong - HillBluffer

Sep 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/7/96

In article <saturn.80...@isrc.net>,

sat...@isrc.net (Matt J. McCullar) wrote:
>I don't wear costumes, and I rarely wear T-shirts to work with anything
>printed on them. At parties, though, it's something else. I didn't win
>any prizes with my Pink Floyd shirt the year previously at the T-shirt
>party, so I made plans to get something the next year. I wore one of
>Joe Rosales' "Planet of the Scantily-Clad Ring-Tailed Lemur Babes" shirts
>(which was accidentally printed backwards) and won "Most Unusual."

Oooooooooo....gotta get one of THOSE shirts...<grin>

>At another party I wore the '95 ConFurence East shirt (one of the best
>furry shirts ever done), drawn by Terrie Smith. Raised a few eyebrows,
>but everyone loved it.

<Noddles>
Been wearing that, and my CF7 shirt, they DO get attention, don't they?
<grin>
Mostly I wear my shirts with my own stuff on em, like the 'vixen' shirt
I did for myself. (see rat.org)

Tod T. Fox

Sep 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/7/96

Kitsuné (dr...@compusmart.ab.ca) wrote:
: perminant and prominent place on my jacket. It got me wondering if and how

: other people declare they are 'Furry'. Do you keep it hidden, and look
: normal? Do you wear Warner Brothers ties to the office, or T-shirts with
: the FurryMUCK logo on it? Or are you the sort of person who will wear dog

I have several items I wear. My most common are these two furry buttons
I picked up at a Duckon. One of them is pretty subtle, a closeup of a
cute morphic skunk, the other is a rather freudian button that depicts a
svelte, busty morphic feline holding a (ahem) big gun. The former I wear
quite often, the latter I save for special occaisions.

During the winter(most of the year here in NH ;) I wear what I call my
Internet Varsity Jacket, which I got custom made at a horse show. Its a
typical varsity style jacket, tho with cool Arizona-ish designs on the
cuffs and bottom. "Tod T. Fox" is embroidered on the front lapel, and
the back has a large embroidered non-morphic fox and the words "Vulpine"
in large letters. I also have a fox sweatshirt and a t-shirt with a fox
kit on it. I used to have some fox pins as well, but seem to have
misplaced them.

Tod

--
"'I never knew words could be so confusing,' Milo said to Tock as he bent *
to scratch the dog's ear. 'Only when you use a lot to say a little,' *

matthew philip clark

Sep 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/7/96

Kitsuné (dr...@compusmart.ab.ca) wrote:
: It got me wondering if and how

: other people declare they are 'Furry'. Do you keep it hidden, and look
: normal? Do you wear Warner Brothers ties to the office, or T-shirts with
: the FurryMUCK logo on it? Or are you the sort of person who will wear dog
: collars and fake ears to your graduation? (Someone did this once

: apparently). DOn't bother about what you do in private, (I really don't
: want to know) but what you wear, and how you act in public that you feel
: marks you as being Furry. Thanks for Indulging my curiosity. =)

Well, I have a few marginally furry tees, including a really
funny one I got of a bull dog all dressed up like a biker, complete with
tattoos and a bandana. On the back is the same bulldog, standing infront
of a wall with the graphitti on the wall saying, "Cats Suck." It's
pretty cute.
Hmm, well last halloween I came to school in costume. My English
teacher, who is legally blind almost fell when tripped over my tail, tho.
Some of my favorite songs are furry ("Kitty" by the Presidents..., "Little
Birshouse in your Soul" by TMBG). My favorite games are furry or have
furries (who are usually my favorite characters). Like Brutal Paws of
Fury, Star Control I & II.
I work on campus and usually hit the comic book store inbetween
work and class, so if you're lucky you my catch me hanging around reading
my furry comics in the halls.
What else? I will almost always talk to a person's pets before
them. Example: Friend's beautiful sister, friend's cat. Who do I greet
first? ;>

--
+-----------------------------+---------------------------------+
| Matthew Philip Clark | NiN / Magic / RPG / Furry / |

Furry Code 1.2
FCFm3r/LRm3adm A+>++ C* D+ M+ T+++ Z+ Sm
RLCT a19 cdlmnw++++ d++ e+>++ f+ h** i+>+++ h*/** p+>+++ sm-- ;>

Po Shan Cheah

Sep 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/7/96

Well, this week I was working late one evening and did a little
furry-at-a-computer doodle and absentmindedly left it behind on the
desk. The next day, a coworker saw it and liked it, and helped me
color it. And now it is on my cubicle wall.

That is the extent of my being furry in public. Lame, huh? :-)

(I think I'll redo it nicely, scan it, and send it to the SCFA.)

-Chet Fox of NJ

--
----------
Po Shan Cheah

Ravenwolf

Sep 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/7/96

Kitsuné wrote:
(bits snipped)

> want to know) but what you wear, and how you act in public that you feel
> marks you as being Furry. Thanks for Indulging my curiosity. =)

Hmmmm...Well...I once belonged to the now extinct Edmonton band known as
Sombre (red)...And we did do a few gigs before we went our seperate
ways. Anyhoo, on my guitar were pasted several wolf related stickers,
and even an anthromorph wolf with a guitar (Two members of the band
named him Cliff...lord only knows why tho').

As fur any other things I do that mark me furry....Well, I do draw a lot
of furry stuff in my sketch pad when in public places (city parks, and
That infernal W.E.M mall we have here.).

--Ravenwolf--
Wolfrook on FM
Korova on TLK
Gigglin' like a lounge act on cream soda :)
"Liquid shadows silence their screams..)-Dream Theatre-

Herman Miller

Sep 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/8/96

In article <50srdo$6...@news.nic.com>, ch...@nic.com (Po Shan Cheah) wrote:
>Well, this week I was working late one evening and did a little
>furry-at-a-computer doodle and absentmindedly left it behind on the
>desk. The next day, a coworker saw it and liked it, and helped me
>color it. And now it is on my cubicle wall.

I sometimes doodle sketches of various characters -- mostly fairy-like beings
but also lots of rodents, and a few other furry critters -- to give the right
half of my brain something to do during meetings. I also have a pocket mouse
(a little plastic thing that looks like the head and front paws of a mouse
sticking out of a pocket), which I wear to work about once or twice a week.

My sketch of an elfmouse (http://rat.org/pub/furry/millherm/elfmouse.jpg) may
have been one of those sketches; it's similar to the ones I do during
meetings. Most of them aren't that good, they're just quick doodles, but it
could have been a long meeting.

alien/fairy/furry art-->> +----------<http://www.io.com/~hmiller/>----------
|"You have passed a law that will get less respect
Thryomanes (Herman Miller)| than the 55 m.p.h. speed limit dead bang in the
(hmi...@io.com) | middle of the First Amendment." - Steve Russell

Captain Packrat

Sep 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/8/96

Herman Miller <hmi...@io.com> wrote in article
<50tc6e$o...@nntp-1.io.com>...

> I also have a pocket mouse (a little plastic thing that looks like
> the head and front paws of a mouse sticking out of a pocket), which
> I wear to work about once or twice a week.

Oooooh!!! Where'd you get it?

PeterCat

Sep 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/8/96

Recently in alt.fan.furry, sat...@isrc.net (Matt J. McCullar) wrote:
>At another party I wore the '95 ConFurence East shirt (one of the best
>furry shirts ever done), drawn by Terrie Smith. Raised a few eyebrows, but
>everyone loved it.

I actually wore that to work once, on a Saturday when my boss was unlikely
to see it... of course, working nights and sometimes weekends, it's a rare
week when I see my boss at all! One co-worker said the shirt was cool. I was
tempted to wear it to a restaurant where I was meeting a furry friend for
lunch, but I was afraid of the chance it might get stained.

--
The Furry InfoPage! http://web.syr.edu/~pjkappes/furry/
pjka...@mailbox.syr.edu (PeterCat) Rhal on FurryMUCK (come cuddle!)

EMACS _FTA178

Sep 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/8/96

In article <droth-05099...@remote245.compusmart.ab.ca> dr...@compusmart.ab.ca (Kitsuné) writes:

[CHOMP]

)perminant and prominent place on my jacket. It got me wondering if and how
)other people declare they are 'Furry'. Do you keep it hidden, and look
)normal? Do you wear Warner Brothers ties to the office, or T-shirts with
)the FurryMUCK logo on it? Or are you the sort of person who will wear dog
)collars and fake ears to your graduation? (Someone did this once

[CHOMP]

Uhm, I don't wear anything like fake-ears/paws/tails/fur/whatever but
sometimes I just meow without thinking about it, like when something
happens that makes me confused I tend to look very clueless and make a
fitting meowsound. Or if something happens that upsets me or makes me
happy or so, I also tend to meow. I also sometimes scritch people and
prrrs if I get scritched. Noone so far has looked extremely shocked
(or something), but s few has looked a bit surprised.

Like today when I was going to rescue a cat that sat on a roof,
meowing sadly 'cause it couldn't figure out a way to get down. I
approached the cat and made a few meowing noises to calm it, and
afterwards realised there was a small crowd gathered of perhaps 10
persons or so. I'm curious of what they thought. ;)

What the cat thought? Dunno, but it can't have been too impressed
since it backed off out of reach. I let it be there to try later (like
15 minutes later) when the crowd was gone again (it made the cat
nervous), but by then the cat had managed to get away. Either someone
else was more trustworthy or it just got a bright idea. *shrug*

CATerwaul/CATaclysm on SPR/DragonMUCK/TwilightMUCK
--
,.
,. .) ` _ _ ___ ___ _____ _ _ _

Pascal Quentin Porcupine

Sep 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/8/96

mpc5...@tamucc.edu (matthew philip clark) wrote:

> <snip>

> Hmm, well last halloween I came to school in costume. My English
>teacher, who is legally blind almost fell when tripped over my tail, tho.
>Some of my favorite songs are furry ("Kitty" by the Presidents..., "Little
>Birshouse in your Soul" by TMBG). My favorite games are furry or have
>furries (who are usually my favorite characters). Like Brutal Paws of
>Fury, Star Control I & II.

Shofixti forever. :)

> I work on campus and usually hit the comic book store inbetween
>work and class, so if you're lucky you my catch me hanging around reading
>my furry comics in the halls.
> What else? I will almost always talk to a person's pets before
>them. Example: Friend's beautiful sister, friend's cat. Who do I greet
>first? ;>

what you said implies that you actually greet the sister... :)
---
quantum porcupine, coder, musician | that which is, is not
and porcupine. mailto:jsh...@nmsu.edu | that which can, can not
http://infinity.beve.blacksburg.va.us/~porcpine | that which does, does not

Ron Orr (& Tirran, sometimes)

Sep 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/8/96

Kitsuné <dr...@compusmart.ab.ca> pondered:

> ... It got me wondering if and how

> other people declare they are 'Furry'. Do you keep it hidden, and look

> normal? Do you wear Warner Brothers ties to the office, or T-shirts with

> the FurryMUCK logo on it? Or are you the sort of person who will wear dog

> collars and fake ears to your graduation? (Someone did this once

> apparently). DOn't bother about what you do in private, (I really don't

> want to know) but what you wear, and how you act in public that you feel
> marks you as being Furry. Thanks for Indulging my curiosity. =)

Yer welcome! ;)

It shames me to admit that I really don't wear my furriness
outside much at all. My clothes tend towards the dull, usually tan work
jeans with a black T-shirt or "Downtown Magnetawan" sweatshirt depending
on the season, and a leather or combat jacket when conditions warrant. I
have the CFE95 and CF7 shirts, but I don't wear them around much. (Too
nice to risk damaging!) I don't wear a collar; tried it for a while, but
it just wasn't me.
I have a big collection of plush, but when I travel the ones I
take with me usually sit in the car; I don't take them _into_ places
much. I like to shop for them, but when asked, I'll usually say I'm
buying them for my kids. (I _do_ have kids, BTW...)
Behavior? When the Other Me is around, I sometimes growl/purr in
public (Best way I've found to get an aisle to yourself at Canadian
Tire!) and I've been known to 'prowl' a little, but that's about all.
Part of the trouble there is that my other side is a mythic beastie, a
manticore, and I'm never sure about how he's 'supposed' to behave. It's
not something obvious, like a fox or wolf or cat or some such critter.
I have on occasion gone out in public in the fur, but for me
it's a costuming thing (hoping for a mascot job some day!) rather than a
furry one. I've been tempted by the idea of having a little work of some
kind done to my nose to make it more lion-like, but so far it's just an
idea. I guess public reaction is one reason I'm still hesitant about it.

Oops...well, there _is_ one thing that's furry about my public
self; I have license plates on the car that say "YIFFY"! Still haven't
had anyone come up to the car and ask, "Are you?" tho...

Us

Ron Orr (& Tirran, sometimes)

Sep 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/8/96

Captain Packrat <captp...@isat.com> wrote:

> I wore a pair of home-made mouse ears and a tail to the
> San Diego Comic-Con this year. That in itself wasn't all that
> strange, uncommon perhaps, but people in costume are not all
> that unusual at a con.
>
> However, in order to get to the furry party after the Con, I
> had to walk through the Horton Plaza shopping center, a place
> where costumes are very out of place. It was kinda fun.
> There was is one kid who said to his mother, "Look mommy,
> Fivel!", and the mother said, "Oh my God!"

<g> A couple of months ago I went to a TorontoTrek concom
meeting wearing ears & tail, just to annoy whomever was inclined to be
so. (No furrys _there!_) Afterwards the wuff & I wandered over to the
Eaton Centre to check out 'Animal House,' a nice plush store. Ann walked
about five paces behind me so she could watch people trying not to look
like they were staring...
I wore the same outfit to the opening of "Dr. Moreau." Nobody
came close (OK, so I had a friend on a leash & was making comments about
'pet humans') except for one person who asked me if 'that was my own
hair.' I said "Yes;" well, _most_ of it was!

Ron

matthew philip clark

Sep 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/8/96

:
: >My favorite games are furry or have furries (who are usually my
: >favorite characters). Like Brutal Paws of Fury, Star Control I & II.
: Shofixti forever. :)
Yeah the whole "supernova'ing their sun..." bit annoyed me in part
two. Anyway the Supox (plant morphs) and the Zoq Fot Pik (Frungy, the
Sport of Kings!) are close runner-ups for my top favorites.

: > What else? I will almost always talk to a person's pets before
: >them. Example: Friend's beautiful sister, friend's cat. Who do I greet
: >first? ;>
: what you said implies that you actually greet the sister... :)
Didn't quite mean it that way, I usually say hi and pat the cat
on the head first, although his sister IS a hottie...

lneh...@vianet.on.ca

Sep 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/8/96

Captain Packrat <captp...@isat.com> wrote:

<big claw swip>

> I've redesigned the ears, and made a much better tail, and
> will wear them to CF8. I was thinking of wearing them while
> on the train to CF8, but that might be overdoing it a bit.

On the contrary, it's never 'overdoing it' to wear tail and ears
whenever the mood strikes you. I hope I have tail and ears to wear to
the con this year.

Godzilla

Sep 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/8/96

Hey, World! I'm furry, I read (and sometimes ink and script)
furry books, and I'm not ashamed! You hear me, Cleveland?! Pottstown?

Furry manifestations have never been a particular problem for me. I
like furry cartoons, I like furry books. End of discussion, as far as I'm
concerned. No regrets or complaints.

Work related hassles? Well, I have a fairly important position at my
day job -- I usually call someone in middle management at Canon or Sony
at least once a week to worry out some small infraction or
misunderstanding. The fact that this is done while wearing a Daffy Duck
tie and a furry pin isn't cause for raised eyebrows around the store.
Matter of fact, the daily checking of my Looney Tunes desk calendar, to
see what's coming up for the day, is a sort of workplace ritual which is
nearly as elaborate as the changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace.

I started out with a RHUDI' pin, shortly after Terrie and I did the
'Little Mercat' back-up for issue # 7 ('Just one pin. I-I can always
stop when I want to!').

As I collect cloisonne pins, I always have something diferent tagged
onto my shirt -- or used as a tie pin. I collect furry logo shirtsd, and
usually mow the lawn or shamble around in one, come my days off.

At work, it's just accepted as being an aspect of my personality.
I'm efficient and enthusiastic for my duties, so it's just considered
a touch of local color.

Then again, they've been aware I worked in comics since I signed on
there. The last 3 years of inking on SHANDA and KATMANDU have given one
or two problem moments -- usually due to content, and the bosses'
pre-teen sons wanting free copies of any book I work on. Even that's
smoothed out. Again, it's just something I do. The boys, incidently,
DON'T get the more mature issues.

I've just finished scripts for a four-part Chester and Deck project
for M.U. (HAVOC, INC.). This may make some workplace waves, due to
Chester being...well...Chester.

Okay. Let's be honest -- Chester On The Make or desperately,
illogically Wanting Something is half the fun to scripting or reading the
little crud, and I had considerable fun writing the series.Possible
pressures were never a concern. You just can't write Chester as a sombre,
nine to five little troll with the sexual instincts of a dust bunny ('So,
okay. Just this once, but we have to use coasters and doilies.').

The trick is in your approach to your subject matter, and I suspect
the bosses will make a few small noises, then smilingly point out the
'resident artist/writer' yet again to another totally disinterested
customer.

About the only area where I run into problems is with my folks, but
then that's a general disapproval of my tastes in sci-fi movies and my
working in comics and other projects. The furry ones (which I admit are
in the majority because this is a field I love working in) just fall
under general disapproval, rather than being singled out. By the way,
Terrie, they didn't know what to make of the Chester shirt!

If I get too much pressure, I have a number of friends working the
business who can offer sage council and perspective. That's one of the
best things about an active fandom. Aside from making for nice sales
figures, it gives you an awareness that you're not quite as nuts for
your interests as someone will always tell you you are!

It comes with the territoty. Dare to be furry, and you'll generally
get quiet acceptance.

Or, of course, get skinned and tacked up on the barn door to dry...

Markzilla

Lenester Taxidean

Sep 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/9/96

In message <50snd8$l...@news.tamu.edu> - mpc5...@tamucc.edu (matthew
philip clark)7 Sep 1996 20:54:00 GMT writes:

>Birshouse in your Soul" by TMBG). My favorite games are furry or have

>furries (who are usually my favorite characters). Like Brutal Paws of
>Fury, Star Control I & II.

Master of Orion! The game wasn't the best, but I played it for hours
anyway just so I could make an alliance with the Mrrshans. Still got
that around here somewhere... :>

> What else? I will almost always talk to a person's pets before
>them. Example: Friend's beautiful sister, friend's cat. Who do I greet
>first? ;>

I've been known to do the same. I've received a few comments on my
ability to make friends with animals that most people can't get within
ten feet of. :>

Lessee... public displays of furriness? Well, I don't HIDE it, but I
don't go out of my way to publicize it, either. Almost all my shirts
feature the Warner siblings, P&TB, etc. I've also got one Guardians of
Paradise shirt with a cool dragon design on the back, and the CF7
shirt. (Which, by the way, I own the original for - does anyone know
if I can legally make more shirts?) A few of my good friends know the
full extent of my furriness, but most people just know I like
cartoons. I run a Yiffnet server, and have dropped a few subtle hints
about it. Generally, though, I keep my furriness to myself, and only
answer when asked. Then again, I spend as much, if not more, time in
virtuality than reality, and here my furriness is no secret. :>

-
Lenester Taxidean | li...@asis.com | http://asis.com/~liefc/
-
TCotF 1.2
FMTs4amrsw/MRm3amw/MaOf3m A>++ C>+ D+ H+ M++++ P++ R+++ T+++ W*>+++ Z-
Sm+/f++/m
RLCT* a19 co+++ d+ e+ f+ h+ iwf++>+++ p+ sm
-

Herman Miller

Sep 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/9/96

In article <01bb9d3d$913ed2c0$a173...@blewis.sisna.com>, "Captain Packrat" <captp...@isat.com> wrote:
>Herman Miller <hmi...@io.com> wrote in article
><50tc6e$o...@nntp-1.io.com>...
>> I also have a pocket mouse (a little plastic thing that looks like
>> the head and front paws of a mouse sticking out of a pocket), which
>> I wear to work about once or twice a week.
>
>Oooooh!!! Where'd you get it?

From Natural Wonders, one of those nature-products type stores, but when I
went back to get another one, they were all sold out, and they apparently
aren't being made any more. )-:3

! at ?

Sep 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/9/96

Captain Packrat (captp...@isat.com) wrote:

: If you're furry and you know it, Hug the Mouse!

Alright, alright! I'll hug the mouse (I'm not usually given to hugging
except on FurryMUCK). C'mere, Captain....

Tobias Koehler

Sep 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/9/96

I love wearing my tail in public!

And I really wonder why there are other furries who don't want
to be seen in public with me wearing a tail.... Hmrf. :/

unci
--
tobias benjamin köhler ,-/o"O`--.._ _/(_
_,-o'.|o 0 'O o O`o--'. e\

Captain Packrat

Sep 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/9/96

! at ? <mtmo...@indirect.com> wrote in article
<510dtm$4...@globe.indirect.com>...

The Captain squeaks happily and returns the hug.
O. .O
==V==

--
Captain Packrat (Captain on FurryMUCK)
Fur Central ---> http://www.sandiego.sisna.com/captpakrat/

Furry Code 1.2 (available from the above site)
FRM4 A++>+++ C->+ D++ H+++ M+++ P+++ R+ T++++ W Z+>+++
Sm+ RLTI a cn++ d- e++ f++++ h+ iwf+++ sm#

If you're furry and you know it, Hug the Mouse!

O. .O
==V==

Ron Orr (& Tirran, sometimes)

Sep 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/9/96

Ravenwolf <ravn...@planet.eon.net> wrote:

> Hmmmm...Well...I once belonged to the now extinct Edmonton band known as
> Sombre (red)...And we did do a few gigs before we went our seperate ways.
> Anyhoo, on my guitar were pasted several wolf related stickers, and even
> an anthromorph wolf with a guitar (Two members of the band named him
> Cliff...lord only knows why tho').

Perhaps something to do with 60's pop star Cliff Richard?

Ron
showing his age

David G. Bell

Sep 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/9/96

In article <MARTIN.96...@angela.ctrl-c.liu.se>
mar...@bofh.se "EMACS _FTA178" writes:

> Uhm, I don't wear anything like fake-ears/paws/tails/fur/whatever but
> sometimes I just meow without thinking about it, like when something
> happens that makes me confused I tend to look very clueless and make a
> fitting meowsound. Or if something happens that upsets me or makes me
> happy or so, I also tend to meow. I also sometimes scritch people and
> prrrs if I get scritched. Noone so far has looked extremely shocked
> (or something), but s few has looked a bit surprised.

I've known cat sounds, and pawing motions, used by people who I wouldn't
immediately think of as furry -- maybe they just don't get onto the
Internet. But sometimes it seems to be a comment on something somebody
has said, a 'catty' remark (Do you have that phrase in the USA, or is
it British dialect?)

--
David G. Bell -- Farmer, SF Fan, Filker, Furry, and Punslinger..

Tim Gadd

Sep 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/10/96

Cliff richard a wolf? Come on, you can't meant that! More like a
preserved eel.

>Ron
>showing his age

Call me when he starts reminiscing about the Big Bang.

(I'm leaving you lots of scope, there Ron...;)
--
Tim Gadd
Hobart, Tasmania

Lee Toop

Sep 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/10/96

David G. Bell (db...@zhochaka.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: In article <MARTIN.96...@angela.ctrl-c.liu.se>
: mar...@bofh.se "EMACS _FTA178" writes:
: I've known cat sounds, and pawing motions, used by people who I wouldn't
: immediately think of as furry -- maybe they just don't get onto the
: Internet. But sometimes it seems to be a comment on something somebody
: has said, a 'catty' remark (Do you have that phrase in the USA, or is
: it British dialect?)

One of my furry habits is growling - I have several different growls that
work well in different situations, from friendly to threatening. The only
time I've used it in public, though, was last year - I was editing a
college newspaper, and one of my friends was having a bit of a problem
with something. I pulled rank on him, and he actually hissed, spat and
clawed in the air at me! I can just imagine this scene from someone
watching - two big guys staring at each other, one yowling threateningly,
and the other growling deep in his throat... :) (think I found anotehr
furry there, though!)

As for shirts, etc., it's really hard to get hold of furry stuff, st
least around where I live. I have one of Tygger's 'Guardian Knights'
T-shirts, but that's it for now. I _may_ get a set of grey fox ears and
tail soon, though!

-- Lee
aka Tony Greyfox
http://www.geocities.com/soho/4099/

Pascal Quentin Porcupine

Sep 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/10/96

mpc5...@tamucc.edu (matthew philip clark) wrote:

>Pascal Quentin Porcupine (q...@antistatic.com) wrote:
>: mpc5...@tamucc.edu (matthew philip clark) wrote:
>:

>: >My favorite games are furry or have furries (who are usually my

>: >favorite characters). Like Brutal Paws of Fury, Star Control I & II.

>: Shofixti forever. :)
> Yeah the whole "supernova'ing their sun..." bit annoyed me in part
>two. Anyway the Supox (plant morphs) and the Zoq Fot Pik (Frungy, the
>Sport of Kings!) are close runner-ups for my top favorites.

i didn't consider either of those 'furry'... i mean, the supox were
cool plants, and the Zoq Fot Pik were cool fungi (i think), but still,
they're not what i'd consider furry. i'm usually pretty liberal where
i draw the line, too.

>: > What else? I will almost always talk to a person's pets before

>: >them. Example: Friend's beautiful sister, friend's cat. Who do I greet
>: >first? ;>

>: what you said implies that you actually greet the sister... :)
> Didn't quite mean it that way, I usually say hi and pat the cat
>on the head first, although his sister IS a hottie...

yes, and it still shocks me that you'd even consider greeting the
female human. :P

then again, i'm a porcupine. humans aren't exactly all that appealing
to me. :)

Lost Dragon

Sep 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/10/96

> > : If you're furry and you know it, Hug the Mouse!
> > Alright, alright! I'll hug the mouse (I'm not usually given to hugging
> > except on FurryMUCK). C'mere, Captain....

Erm. I hugged mine mouse and two of the buttons broke! With what shall I
move mine cursor now!? Ack!

/| .oo__. .-----.----------Lost-Dragon-----------.-----. .__oo. |\
| \| ,-'' | _O_ | lost...@cris.com | _O_ | ``-, |/ |
`,_/,(_)\_ | | | Member: Ultima Dragons | | | _/(_),\_,'
_.,-=(_)_)_ ''`-----`-http://www.cris.com/~lostdrgn/-'-----'`` _(_(_)=-,._

Light Chaser

Sep 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/11/96

>>It got me wondering if and how other people declare they are 'Furry'.
>>Do you keep it hidden, and look normal?
Most of my wardrobe consists of many t-shirts with animal designs,
most of which are wolves, and a few foxes (I find fox shirts hard to
find). I don't have any real furry shirts. It's hard enough in my
area to get the animal shirts. Most of them I bought when I lived in
Georgia.

I have furry drawings hanging all over the walls in my room, along
with pictures of wolves, foxes, etc. My calendar has wolves on it, my
windows background has furry animals on it, etc. I wonder what people
people think when they come into my room. I had a man and his older
son come in my room to buy my TV and VCR (I use the family TV/VCR
since it's much bigger :-), and I noticed they were looking all
arround my walls. I've had other people come in and look all around
also. My dad still can't distinguish between fox and wolf furry
morphs. He calls them wolves... :-)

As for keeping being a furry hidden, it's not something I try to go
out and announce to the world, as I don't usually do this with
anything. I don't wear a collar, or anything that drastic, since most
people at my school would probably stay away from me if I did (in my
area, men don't usually wear earrings in their ears, and there are not
too many people that dress funny and shave their heads bald). I wear
shirts with animals on them most of the time. I really love animals,
and I think most people that know me know that I do. That's about all
I can think of :-) Besides my lifestyle of watching animated furry
cartoons, movies, reading animal & furry books, looking at
animal/furry pictures & art, etc.

Light Chaser

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
"There are those that don't care, there are those that
only dream of doing something, and there are those who do
something. Which will you be?" Light Chaser
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Matt Jenkins
1-304-782-4691
http://www.westvirginia.com/mjenkins
matt.j...@westvirginia.com
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ShadowSong

Sep 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/11/96

In article <510dtm$4...@globe.indirect.com>, mtmo...@indirect.com (! at ?)
wrote:

> Captain Packrat (captp...@isat.com) wrote:
>
> : If you're furry and you know it, Hug the Mouse!
>
> Alright, alright! I'll hug the mouse (I'm not usually given to hugging
> except on FurryMUCK). C'mere, Captain....

Ooohh!! Mousies!! *excited tailswish* Captain Packrat? You want a hug?
OK. Stay there! *pounce!* *hughughug!!*
*panthress sits back* I hope that wasn't too much for you... :):):)

*smile*
-ShadowSong :)

Captain Packrat

Sep 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/11/96

ShadowSong <JMC...@library.tufts.edu> wrote in article
<JMCCABE-1009...@0.0.0.0>...

*giggle*

The Captain squeaks for joy and gives you a BIG MouseHug in return.

O. .O
==V==

--
Captain Packrat (Captain on FurryMUCK)
Fur Central ---> http://www.sandiego.sisna.com/captpakrat/

Furry Code 1.2 (available from the above site)
FRM4 A++>+++ C->+ D++ H+++ M+++ P+++ R+ T++++ W Z+>+++
Sm+ RLTI a cn++ d- e++ f++++ h+ iwf+++ sm#

If you're furry and you know it, Hug the Mouse!

O. .O
==V==

Dennis Mott

Sep 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/11/96

"Captain Packrat" <captp...@isat.com> wrote:

>! at ? <mtmo...@indirect.com> wrote in article
><510dtm$4...@globe.indirect.com>...

>> Captain Packrat (captp...@isat.com) wrote:
>>
>> : If you're furry and you know it, Hug the Mouse!
>>
>> Alright, alright! I'll hug the mouse (I'm not usually given to hugging
>> except on FurryMUCK). C'mere, Captain....

>The Captain squeaks happily and returns the hug.
>O. .O
>==V==

Kliah steps up smartly, and takes the mouse in her arms, hugging gently,
and nuzzling the little mousie nose. "I Love mousies" she says, "and we
Furries have to stick together."

Kliah Foxwings <Mrrrr!> <su...@interlog.com>

And on the 9th day, He created Furrydom!

--alt.lifestyle.furry has been newsgrouped!--
--Drop by and say hello--

Furry Code 1.2
FCFsw2ac A- C>+++ Dm++ H++ M- P+>+++ R++ T+++ W* Z SfS>++ RL-/MH* a+++
cdw+ !d e+ f+++ h->+++ i+ p- sm+

Tim Gadd

Sep 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/11/96

JMC...@library.tufts.edu (ShadowSong) wrote:

>Ooohh!! Mousies!! *excited tailswish* Captain Packrat? You want a hug?
>OK. Stay there! *pounce!* *hughughug!!*
>*panthress sits back* I hope that wasn't too much for you... :):):)

Darn it, if this is the way mousies get treated, I'll be a mousie for
a trial period.

Well? Nothing's happening...

Paul Bennett

Sep 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/11/96

Depends on when and where... I use the QSL card I designed with R.F., my
radio toting fox-morph furry-ego as a workstation backdrop and coffe mug
design. Had a couple of shirts done of R.F. leaning against a tower that
I have showed up at hamfests and club meetings wearing. One person's
comment on seeing R.F. on the shirt for the first time "It's YOU!" As
for work, no, wouldn't be out of place just don't want to mess up anything
good.

Paul

Addams

Sep 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/11/96

> Ooohh!! Mousies!! *excited tailswish* Captain Packrat? You want a hug?
> OK. Stay there! *pounce!* *hughughug!!*
> *panthress sits back* I hope that wasn't too much for you... :):):)

Visitor Gary (the stoned Visitor from V:The Final Battle) walks up...

"Mousies....mousies...."

(sorry...couldn't resist...)

--Kevin Days

T H E P A R T I C L E M A N

Listen to "Revenge of the Particle Man" alt. Sundays Mid.-3AM on WOMR
oldies played 1956-1981

"Keep your ear to the radio and keep hot water with you at all
times!"

David G. Bell

Sep 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/11/96

In article <50vt68$p...@news.wco.com>
lene...@asis.com "Lenester Taxidean" writes:

> In message <50snd8$l...@news.tamu.edu> - mpc5...@tamucc.edu (matthew
> philip clark)7 Sep 1996 20:54:00 GMT writes:
>

> > What else? I will almost always talk to a person's pets before
> >them. Example: Friend's beautiful sister, friend's cat. Who do I greet
> >first? ;>
>

> I've been known to do the same. I've received a few comments on my
> ability to make friends with animals that most people can't get within
> ten feet of. :>

Yes, some people seem able to get on with animals, and some don't. Like
the neighbour with a cat who just doesn't like her all that much, but
who gets all friendly with me and my brother. Then there was a one-eyed
ginger cat who used to prowl around the farm. Every so often, there
would be a telephone call, and I'd go up the yard, unlock the workshop
door, pick up this cat, close the door, and carry the cat to its home.

Anyone else who tried to pick up that cat ended up with claw marks.

But that was a long time ago -- we had an old dog around the place, and
I've watched them working together to hunt down mice around the grain
storage. Maybe the dog thought that the cat was another slightly odd-
looking member of the pack?

I don't know if it is a furry thing as such, but maybe being a furry
does correlate with paying attention to animals, and picking up the cues
that precede being scratched, and, in essence, respecting them.

Captain Packrat

Sep 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/11/96

Dennis Mott <su...@interlog.com> wrote in article
<515nid$5...@news.interlog.com>...

> "Captain Packrat" <captp...@isat.com> wrote:
>
> >! at ? <mtmo...@indirect.com> wrote in article
> ><510dtm$4...@globe.indirect.com>...
> >> Captain Packrat (captp...@isat.com) wrote:
> >>
> >> : If you're furry and you know it, Hug the Mouse!
> >>
> >> Alright, alright! I'll hug the mouse (I'm not usually given to
hugging
> >> except on FurryMUCK). C'mere, Captain....
>
> >The Captain squeaks happily and returns the hug.
> >O. .O
> >==V==
>
> Kliah steps up smartly, and takes the mouse in her arms, hugging gently,
> and nuzzling the little mousie nose. "I Love mousies" she says, "and we
> Furries have to stick together."

The Captain hugs you back, giggling like a schoolmouse, with a huge smile
on
his face.

--
Captain Packrat (Captain on FurryMUCK)
Fur Central ---> http://www.sandiego.sisna.com/captpakrat/

Furry Code 1.2 (available from the above site)
FRM4 A++>+++ C->+ D++ H+++ M+++ P+++ R+ T++++ W Z+>+++
Sm+ RLTI a cn++ d- e++ f++++ h+ iwf+++ sm#

If you're furry and you know it, Hug the Mouse!

O. .O
==V==

Bek Oberin

Sep 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/11/96

On Tue, 10 Sep 1996 06:50:23 GMT, Pascal Quentin Porcupine <q...@antistatic.com> wrote:
>mpc5...@tamucc.edu (matthew philip clark) wrote:
>>> Yeah the whole "supernova'ing their sun..." bit annoyed me in part
>>> two. Anyway the Supox (plant morphs) and the Zoq Fot Pik (Frungy,
>>> the Sport of Kings!) are close runner-ups for my top favorites.
>i didn't consider either of those 'furry'... i mean, the supox were
>cool plants, and the Zoq Fot Pik were cool fungi (i think), but still,
>they're not what i'd consider furry. i'm usually pretty liberal where
>i draw the line, too.

Well, are penguins furry? How about six-inch high fairy penguins
such as we get down here in Australia?

gossamer
(a fairy penguin when she's not being boring and sensible :))

--
: /~/\ <-blue Bek Oberin - goss...@glasswings.com.au
: /_/\_\ http://glasswings.com.au/gossamer/

Ron Orr (& Tirran, sometimes)

Sep 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/11/96

Tim Gadd <tjg...@southcom.com.au> wrote:

> griz...@vianet.on.ca (Ron Orr (& Tirran, sometimes)) wrote:
> >Ravenwolf <ravn...@planet.eon.net> wrote:
>
> >> Anyhoo, on my guitar were pasted several wolf related stickers, and
> >> even an anthromorph wolf with a guitar (Two members of the band named
> >> him Cliff...lord only knows why tho').
>
> > Perhaps something to do with 60's pop star Cliff Richard?
>
> Cliff richard a wolf? Come on, you can't meant that! More like a
> preserved eel.

<g> And not too well-preserved, either. Gone a bit off, I'd
reckon...

> >Ron
> >showing his age
>
> Call me when he starts reminiscing about the Big Bang.

Don't rightly remember that at all; I was busy and missed it,
and had to be told about it later. Well, maybe next time.

> (I'm leaving you lots of scope, there Ron...;)

You keep settin' 'em up, I'll keep bringin' 'em home!

Ron
Old Jokes R Us

Aris Merquoni

Sep 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/11/96

Po Shan Cheah wrote:

> Well, this week I was working late one evening and did a little
> furry-at-a-computer doodle and absentmindedly left it behind on the
> desk. The next day, a coworker saw it and liked it, and helped me
> color it. And now it is on my cubicle wall.
>
> That is the extent of my being furry in public. Lame, huh? :-)

I draw a lot, and when I finally get something good scanned in I'll probably
do the same. :)

> -Chet Fox of NJ

Liutenant JG Merquoni, TRES Corps ()() / / / (%)
Aris the Galactic Dragon elsewhere |_________/ \ //\
Writer, reader, gameplayer. \___________ \// \\
|_| \ |\
-Yak yak yak. Get a job!- Hackers \__\_\| |\
-"PEACE!" - Independence Day -(___|_| |\
/ |_/|\ \
Don't say it with flowers- \_/ /\
say it with ascii text! () // / |\
Support free speech on the WWW! /\ || | |\
TRES Corps home: / \ //// |\
http://www.infinet.com/~cybrpyro/Jihad/TRES \_\_\_\_\_\_\_\/

Lenester Taxidean

Sep 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/12/96

Ooh... I just remembered the time a friend of mine came over and
brought his cousin, who was probably 14 or 15. I happened to have
downloaded the Winger section of the tau-ceti archive a few hours
previously, and I was going through the images. The kid started
whining that I didn't have a printer. Apparently, he wanted some new
wallpaper. For instance, Kara Notatol. He also decided on the spot
that he wanted an internet connection. Think I done found a latent
fur. :>

Paul Bennett

Sep 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/12/96

"Catty Remark"
An expression I have heard on this side of the pond
on occasion... But not often...
Paul

Wanderer

Sep 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/13/96