big changes coming to yerf.com

Ratman

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98
I've told a bunch of people, and you know how people tell people and
rumors begin, so i may as well make an official posting.

First of all, I'm officially retiring from admin of yerf.com
I'm appointing Scotty (Sully) as COO (Chief Operations Officer).
I'll remain as an advisor with technical things, but as far as all the
decisions on who gets on, what gets deleted, and the general direction
the site goes, that's all up to him as of right now.

Second, sometime within the next 2 months, I'll be moving from New
Hampshire, to the bay area in California. My last day at my current
job at the ISP here is on September 4th.
That will mean I can't host the web server anymore, so I'm currently
working out finding a new host. I've already gotten 2 good offers, and
I'm deciding between those 2, so I don't think that will be much of a
problem.
I'm hoping Scotty can stay on, but it will ultimately be up to the new
host since they're the "owners".

Third, that means this newsgroup is gonna go byebye. hopefully they'll
have something avaliable where people can chat about yerf things.

I'd still retain DNS on the name yerf.com, so I could always pull the
plug if I think they're taking it in bad direction, like allowing
spooge, or having no quality control at all. I doubt that will happen,
but it's just a little insurance I can give the artists that there's
nothing bad about staying on. I wont let your art be abused. I highly
doubt anything would happen, but I'm not taking any chances.

I have to say that I'm thrilled as hell to be getting out of this. I
was burned out about a year ago, and was not enjoying running the site
anymore. So when you get to that point, it's time to either shut it
down, or hand it over to someone else. So I'm gonna hand it over so
yerf can live on, and I just hope whoever runs it now maintains the
quality.
If they care about the programming, things can only get better. I hope
to see new features come out of it too.

I'll be happy with "founder" status. :)
(complete with a big painting of a rat high up on the wall:
OUR FOUNDER)

Allen Kitchen

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98

Ratman <ra...@rat.org> wrote in article <35a636cb....@news.mv.net>...

> I've told a bunch of people, and you know how people tell people and
> rumors begin, so i may as well make an official posting.
>
> First of all, I'm officially retiring from admin of yerf.com
> I'm appointing Scotty (Sully) as COO (Chief Operations Officer).

Ratman, let me be the first to thank you for all the hard
work and stress you have put up with over the past couple
of years. It is a thankless job. And there is no way
to keep everyone happy all the time. You've made some
vocal enemies, I know. But you've also made some friends.
And while I may have been concerned about some decisions,
I'd be proud to be considered in the friendly column.

First: my best wishes and best of luck to you on your move,
and your new life in the Bay Area. (Hmm. everyone I know is
moving there. Somebody wanna clue me in as to why? :)

Second: When me meet oneday at a convention somewhere,
I shall INSIST on buying you dinner! As a thank you for all your
effort.

Take care Ratman...

*throngs of people surrounding the castle... a lone black wolf
steps out onto the balcony, his white robes billowing about him
in the wind. He holds his hands up to the crowd to signal
quiet, then begins his announcement...*

"The Rat King has stepped down! A new king is chosen!
All hail, Sully Theopolis Rex! Long live the Heeba!"

(hheheheh)
Allen Kitchen (shockwave)

Message has been deleted

Mutt

Jul 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/11/98
> Third, that means this newsgroup is gonna go byebye. hopefully they'll
> have something avaliable where people can chat about yerf things.

What the hell? Since when was alt.fan.furry part of yerf?
--
^v^
Blessed be,

Don Sanders

Jul 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/11/98
In article <35a636cb....@news.mv.net>, ra...@rat.org (Ratman) wrote:
>I've told a bunch of people, and you know how people tell people and
>rumors begin, so i may as well make an official posting.
>
>First of all, I'm officially retiring from admin of yerf.com
>I'm appointing Scotty (Sully) as COO (Chief Operations Officer).
>I'll remain as an advisor with technical things, but as far as all the
>decisions on who gets on, what gets deleted, and the general direction
>the site goes, that's all up to him as of right now.
>
>Second, sometime within the next 2 months, I'll be moving from New
>Hampshire, to the bay area in California. My last day at my current
>job at the ISP here is on September 4th.
>That will mean I can't host the web server anymore, so I'm currently
>working out finding a new host. I've already gotten 2 good offers, and
>I'm deciding between those 2, so I don't think that will be much of a
>problem.
>I'm hoping Scotty can stay on, but it will ultimately be up to the new
>host since they're the "owners".

It took me half the night to think about how I was going to write this, I
still don't know how this will be received, by any or all who read this.

First off, I would like to wish Ratman good luck with his future endeavors.
From it's humble beginnings, he strived to create a dream of making a place to
display the crafts of artists, and make it friendly enough for all to enjoy.
Although there were many, I include myself on this that did not see eye to eye
with his quality policies, and of course the spooge thing. I have stated many
times that I have accepted that fact and even went out of my way to state that
there are other venues those can follow to see such things as low quality art
and Vixens with larger than life assets.

When I heard of his leaving, I did not know what to say or feel on that
matter. All I can do is wish him luck and hope at on my account, he did not
judge the rest of the fandom too harshly.

I wish to congratulate Sully for his appointment as COO of Yerf. I am sure
with his accomplishments he will continue Yerf's pledge of Quality and keeping
the archive/gallery free of spooge.

>Third, that means this newsgroup is gonna go byebye. hopefully they'll
>have something avaliable where people can chat about yerf things.
>

>I'd still retain DNS on the name yerf.com, so I could always pull the
>plug if I think they're taking it in bad direction, like allowing
>spooge, or having no quality control at all. I doubt that will happen,
>but it's just a little insurance I can give the artists that there's
>nothing bad about staying on. I wont let your art be abused. I highly
>doubt anything would happen, but I'm not taking any chances.

Although I feel compelled to comment on that, I will not. I learned that
respect is earned. Perhaps it is all for the best, wave a big stick to keep
those in line, We artists are a fickled lot, or at least that is how I feel
about myself, if I don't get my way, I scream about it. I have learned that
there are times when one should not scream or throw tantrums, this is one of
them.

>I have to say that I'm thrilled as hell to be getting out of this. I
>was burned out about a year ago, and was not enjoying running the site
>anymore. So when you get to that point, it's time to either shut it
>down, or hand it over to someone else. So I'm gonna hand it over so
>yerf can live on, and I just hope whoever runs it now maintains the
>quality.
>If they care about the programming, things can only get better. I hope
>to see new features come out of it too.
>
>I'll be happy with "founder" status. :)
>(complete with a big painting of a rat high up on the wall:
>OUR FOUNDER)

I'm done, I don't know if what I said made any difference, lord knows a single
voice does not carry over a crowd. I want to clear my conscience of this
matter once and for all, but I doubt it will happen. You earned your rest
from Yerf Ratman, you earned my respect more now than when you ran Yerf. Even
if you were not leaving, I still would say the same. Sully has some large
paws to fill now. Your guidence in the background will help him greatly cause
there will be others out there who will not give up so easily.

As for myself, I guess I will carry on, perhaps in a few years once I get good
enough to be considered both Quality and Clean material, I will gladly submit
my application to Yerf. but for now, Velar and the newsgroups will have to
do.

Don Sanders

Dsan Tsan on #furry and on FurryMuck
Valsen Tsan on Tapestries
Artist at Roll Yer Own Graphics
http://www.dreamscape.com/dsand101/dsan.htm
(my furry page) Email dsan...@future.dreamscape.com

Ratman

Jul 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/11/98
Mike McGee <readsi...@bottomofpage.com> wrote:

>Ratman wrote:
>>
>> Third, that means this newsgroup is gonna go byebye. hopefully they'll
>> have something avaliable where people can chat about yerf things.

> ?
> alt.fan.furry is dependant on rat.org to exist? This is news to me...
>I always thought it was part of Usenet proper.

ACK!!!!!
Sorry!! I posted that to rat.yerf, and reposted it to these groups without
thinking. Sorry about that. Ugh.

Ixbalam

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
In article <35a860c4....@furry.ao.net>, ra...@rat.org (Ratman) wrote:

> "Matthew Milam" <dynam...@email.msn.com> wrote:
>

> >Ratman wrote in message <35a636cb....@news.mv.net>...

> >>I have to say that I'm thrilled as hell to be getting out of this.
> >

> >Well, regardless of the fact it's your life and your site, how many people
> >who actually helped and hurt at the same time matters. The Gargoyles Fandom
> >didn't apperciate the taking down of there art, and neither did the Swat
> >Kats Fandom. And not to mention nearly half of the Furry Artists.
> >
> >If that isn't mean, I don't know what is.
>
> hehe.
> how does 'fuck off' sound to you?
> It gives me a fuzzy feeling knowing that people like you are a small minority.
> I am working on handing it off to someone else to run, but not for ungrateful
> assholes such as yourself.

Oh gee, Ratman. Everyone who disagrees with you is an asshole. *hmm*
You're really trying hard to endear yourself to furry fans and artists and
pass on the legacy of Rat/Yerf. If you don't give a damn, neither do I
and neither should anyfur else.
So many people feel they've been left out of your efforts that they are
beyond counting. But it was your choice to exclude what you did. I guess
it's just what you wanted to do. *shrug*

I do have to wonder why the Yerf people thought they could take over
the ballroom reserved as the masquerade dressing area at AAC for a party.
They had to eat their sammiches somewhere else instead of disrupting such
a major con event.

--
Michael J. Rider, aka Ixbalam
Rot13: wnt...@zntvppnecrg.pbz

PS- Don't bet on such people being a minority, much less
a small one. There are plenty of furs unhappy with
Rat/Yerf policies and history.

RedWolf885

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
Allen Kitchen howled

>First: my best wishes and best of luck to you on your move,
>and your new life in the Bay Area. (Hmm. everyone I know is
>moving there. Somebody wanna clue me in as to why? :)

I honestly don't know why, but will someone please clue me in as to how
yerf.com simply changing owners means that news:alt.lifestle.furry won't be
around anymore and why the new owners apparently don't want to keep it around?
Don't they know that if news:alt.lifestle.furry drops out os existance that a
majoe source of enjoyment for many furs will be lost forever?

Signed,
Cloudchaser (a Red Wolf furry)

“RedWolf885” on aol’s IM

4-legged non-furry Red Wolf (not a subspecies of the Grey Wolf) pic and facts
http://www.timberwolfinformation.org/info/red-wolf.htm

Portrait of my furry self (drawn under comission by Rebecca
Kemp-http://www.FurNation.com/Kat/)
http://www.yerf.com/kemprebe/cloud2.jpg

I feel a change.
Back to a better day.
Hair stands on the back of my neck.
In wildness is the preservation of the world.
So seek the wolf in thyself.
(from "Of Wolf and Man" by Metallica)

RedWolf885

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
Ratman squeaked

*wide eyed, widely grinning, tail wagging furiously, very excited look on face*
YOU MEAN IT?! NEWS:ALT.LIFESTYLE.FURRY WON'T DROP OUT OF EXISTANCE?! I'M SO
HAPPY THAT I COULD JUST....I COULD JUST...

*throws head back* AAAAAARRRROOOO!! *Too excited to stop, Cloudchaser quickly
draws another breath and loudly howls again. and again. and...*

S. arsenault

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98

> I do have to wonder why the Yerf people thought they could take over
> the ballroom reserved as the masquerade dressing area at AAC for a party.
> They had to eat their sammiches somewhere else instead of disrupting such
> a major con event.

oh come on.. that was my fault.
i didn't know they'd be tearing down the walls for the
party, so i grabbed the one it looked like no one was
using..
it's not like we made a big deal over it.. you had your
precious little party.. :)

S. arsenault
Yerf

Nate Patrin

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
Ixbalam <jaguarNO_SPAM@REMOVE_THISmagiccarpet.com> wrote:
> ra...@rat.org (Ratman) wrote:

> > >Well, regardless of the fact it's your life and your site, how many
people
> > >who actually helped and hurt at the same time matters. The Gargoyles
Fandom
> > >didn't apperciate the taking down of there art, and neither did the
Swat
> > >Kats Fandom. And not to mention nearly half of the Furry Artists.
> > >
> > >If that isn't mean, I don't know what is.
> >
> > hehe.
> > how does 'fuck off' sound to you?
> > It gives me a fuzzy feeling knowing that people like you are a small
minority.
> > I am working on handing it off to someone else to run, but not for
ungrateful
> > assholes such as yourself.
>
> Oh gee, Ratman. Everyone who disagrees with you is an asshole. *hmm*

Well, is it just me, or have the vast majority of furs who've publicly
taken rat to task ACTED like assholes?

> You're really trying hard to endear yourself to furry fans and artists
and
> pass on the legacy of Rat/Yerf. If you don't give a damn, neither do I
> and neither should anyfur else.

I think he just doesn't "give a damn" (your words, not his) about the
people who've made his life as it pertains to his furry interests a big
Maalox Moment.

> So many people feel they've been left out of your efforts that they
are
> beyond counting. But it was your choice to exclude what you did. I
guess
> it's just what you wanted to do. *shrug*

Good. That means you can shut the hell up about it.

> I do have to wonder why the Yerf people thought they could take over
> the ballroom reserved as the masquerade dressing area at AAC for a party.

Heh. Nobody was actually told it was technically "reserved" for that
fursuit thing- and we didn't 'take it over', seeing as how we left without
a hassle when we were asked to. (Let me at least take this opportunity to
give huge ups to Lynx et al. for letting us join the wikkid-ass party on
the 13th floor.)

> They had to eat their sammiches somewhere else instead of disrupting such
> a major con event.

Why don't you just add a Nelson Muntz-style "Ha-haaaaa!" in there to
punctuate your bitter, smug little remark?

> PS- Don't bet on such people being a minority, much less
> a small one. There are plenty of furs unhappy with
> Rat/Yerf policies and history.

Then there should be enough members in that group to start their own furry
site and leave us the hell alone.

--
-Nate Patrin
"Will I be drawing these damn rabbits forever?" -Matt Groening, 1990

Susan Rankin

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
In article <35A8A585...@yerf.com>, su...@yerf.com says...

>it's not like we made a big deal over it.. you had your
>precious little party.. :)

Dressing room, sweetie, dressing room. I doubt getting in and out of some of
those zoots is anything like a party.

SusanDeer

S. arsenault

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98

ooh. okay
i'm sure you're right.. a long time ago, i tried one of
those things on, an' i couldn't get out of it soon
enough! :)
ah well, i hope it was fun! i'll be sure to reserve a
good place for the yerf party next year.

lemme give a great big thank you right now... first to
Skorzy and Dale for bringing along that great big tank
of orange chocolate chip ice cream, and those homemade
chocochip cookies! wowee! talk about heavenly
sammiches! :D
also, a big thanks to the oh-so-generous Lynx for
allowing us Yerf folks to share their suite that night.
a splendid time was had by all!

S. arsenault
Yerf

okay.. i'm done this thread. :) (vroooom!)

Gordon McVey

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
> Ixbalam <jaguarNO_SPAM@REMOVE_THISmagiccarpet.com> wrote:
> > ra...@rat.org (Ratman) wrote:
> >
> > Oh gee, Ratman. Everyone who disagrees with you is an asshole. *hmm*
>
> Well, is it just me, or have the vast majority of furs who've publicly
> taken rat to task ACTED like assholes?

I did post a bit of an objection here when he banned one of Sue's pieces on
the basis it was a photograph, but I tried to be polite about it. No one
responded to my post, so I guess those who disagree with rat only get
NOTICED if they're assholes :)

Syke

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98

Gordon McVey wrote:

They only get noticed because they post repeatedly to sooth the injustice they
think has occured to them. :) They twist it around to affecting them... although

I have NO idea how it does effect them.

You could easily compare it to a parent who has a child. That parent will allow
certain children to play with that child and will make rules. Is that wrong?
Does it
infringe on the child coming to play if some of the rules are:
Don't fight, no cussing, don't play in the mud and don't go into the garage.
The visiting child is usually TOLD the rules and sent home if they are broken?
Is that really wrong, I mean, the child they are visiting lives with the parent
and the parent
makes the rules. Then the other children, let's say, fight and curse the parent
to his face, well
in that case, the offender goes home, where maybe the rules are more lenient and
he can do that
kind of stuff.
Of course, other children are going to complain about going to the kids' house
with the rules, but hey,
that kid also has a huge toybox full of unbroken toys. >:)

That's Ms. Syke to you, Bud.
Homepage:http://www.FurNation.com/Syke/

My email is now PostPet friendly!

Places to Find Me Online:
ICQ:11325417
Transformers Genesis:mozzarella.wpi.edu port 2000
Quinn/Nightwatch/Darius/Syke
FurryMUCK:Syke, occasionally

Ixbalam

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
In article <199807120836...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,
redwo...@aol.com (RedWolf885) wrote:

> I honestly don't know why, but will someone please clue me in as to how
> yerf.com simply changing owners means that news:alt.lifestle.furry won't be
> around anymore and why the new owners apparently don't want to keep it
around?
> Don't they know that if news:alt.lifestle.furry drops out os existance that a
> majoe source of enjoyment for many furs will be lost forever?

It doesn't mean that at all. Ratman screwed up and reposted something
originally posted to one of his internal newsgroups that only exists on
Rat.org to AFF and ALF. Rat.org carries this group but so do all the
other FurryNet servers and most others.

This group is staying. :)

--
Michael J. Rider, aka Ixbalam
Rot13: wnt...@zntvppnecrg.pbz

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me.
If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them;
if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am
morally responsible for everything I do."
-Robert Heinlein (The Moon is a Harsh Mistress)

Ixbalam

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
In article <01bdadbe$cd80be40$21db96ce@n8rich>, "Nate Patrin"
<n8r...@pioneerplanet.infi.spammers.smoke.crack.net> wrote:

> Ixbalam <jaguarNO_SPAM@REMOVE_THISmagiccarpet.com> wrote:
[...snip...]

> > Oh gee, Ratman. Everyone who disagrees with you is an asshole. *hmm*
>
> Well, is it just me, or have the vast majority of furs who've publicly
> taken rat to task ACTED like assholes?

Is it just _me_ or has Ratman acted like an asshole in the past? I
remember the message he sent out to the Swat Kats mailing list on rat.org
long ago, when he shut it down, saying that the Kats are dead and telling
everyone to get out of there. Apparently he had done the same thing
before with a Sonic mailing list. He could have said that he's not
willing to host it anymore in a nice way, but didn't. That's unfriendly,
durnit.

I've never had to deal with his rejections and removals of art myself
because I've never considered asking for a directory on his archive. I'm
not willing to put myself through the aggravation others have had. Not to
mention I don't want the comments in my image files full of advertising
for his archive.

> > They had to eat their sammiches somewhere else instead of disrupting such
> > a major con event.
>
> Why don't you just add a Nelson Muntz-style "Ha-haaaaa!" in there to
> punctuate your bitter, smug little remark?

Hmf! I'm not bitter. I'm a sweet little kitty! Want to taste? =^.^=

> Then there should be enough members in that group to start their own furry
> site and leave us the hell alone.

There is plenty of room offered on Velan and Orlando for art that
wouldn't be accepted by rat or his successor for whatever reasons (and a
big thank-you to those responsible for both!). Some of us just like to
bug Ratman about this stuff now and then.
Maybe some furs should get together and put up a 100% drippy furry
spooge site. I wonder if spoogemonkey.org is registered. =) Or
crowbar.com. `=>

--
Michael J. Rider, aka Ixbalam
Rot13: wnt...@zntvppnecrg.pbz

PS- Who the heck in Nelson Muntz? That kid in The Simpsons?

Ratman

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
jaguarNO_SPAM@REMOVE_THISmagiccarpet.com (Ixbalam) wrote:

>In article <01bdadbe$cd80be40$21db96ce@n8rich>, "Nate Patrin"
><n8r...@pioneerplanet.infi.spammers.smoke.crack.net> wrote:
>
>> Ixbalam <jaguarNO_SPAM@REMOVE_THISmagiccarpet.com> wrote:
>[...snip...]
>> > Oh gee, Ratman. Everyone who disagrees with you is an asshole. *hmm*
>>
>> Well, is it just me, or have the vast majority of furs who've publicly
>> taken rat to task ACTED like assholes?
>
> Is it just _me_ or has Ratman acted like an asshole in the past? I
>remember the message he sent out to the Swat Kats mailing list on rat.org
>long ago, when he shut it down, saying that the Kats are dead and telling
>everyone to get out of there. Apparently he had done the same thing
>before with a Sonic mailing list. He could have said that he's not
>willing to host it anymore in a nice way, but didn't. That's unfriendly,
>durnit.

Hmm. Actually that's not even close to the truth.

Here's the actual posting. Show me where I act like an asshole:

Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 23:12:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ratman <r...@bort.mv.net>
To: ka...@lists.mv.net
Subject: THIS LIST IS COMING DOWN!

The time has come for me to shut the kats list down. There just isn't much to
talk about anymore. This is not open for debate, so don't whine at me.

Now is the time to say your goodbyes.

If I see a single flame, or whining about how I shoudln't shut it down,
the list will come down immediately. You can say anything you want to me

I'll actually pull the plug early next week, possibly sooner.

I was just going to shut it down immediatly to prevent getting flamed, but I
figured I'd give you guys a chance to say goodbye first. All it will take is
one person to ruin the final days of the list and make me pull the plug on it
prematurely. So don't flame.
Sorry I'm so apprehensive, but there was an incident when I shut down the
Sonic list, and I got flamed for it bigtime. But some people suggested I give
the kats list a chance and don't assume they'll act like the losers on the
Sonic list.

There is a newsgroup, alt.tv.swatkats
Many of you don't have access to that newsgroup, so it's not necessarily a
substitute for this list, but it's better than nothing for those of you that
do have it!

And if another mailing list pops up and I hear about it, I'll post it up on
http://rat.org/kats/list.html

It was nice talking to you all. It was fun while it lasted.

------------------------------

A few weeks later, someone else started up their own list, then I dug up the old
list and wrote to everyone letting them know about the new list. I think I acted
responsibly. I kicked everyone out, then when there was a new home, I did
everything I could to let people know where to go.

Now, why don't you get your facts straight before talking shit about me?
Or maybe you didn't count on me saving that?
Sorry if this makes me look rude, but it pisses me off to no end when people
spread lies about me.
I'd look to see what I posted to the sonic list, but I don't feel like it. This
has already wasted enough of my time.

> I've never had to deal with his rejections and removals of art myself
>because I've never considered asking for a directory on his archive. I'm
>not willing to put myself through the aggravation others have had. Not to
>mention I don't want the comments in my image files full of advertising
>for his archive.

Good.

>> > They had to eat their sammiches somewhere else instead of disrupting such
>> > a major con event.
>>
>> Why don't you just add a Nelson Muntz-style "Ha-haaaaa!" in there to
>> punctuate your bitter, smug little remark?

Bitter? The sammiches were actually quite yummy.

> Hmf! I'm not bitter. I'm a sweet little kitty! Want to taste? =^.^=

How lovely. Do you charge by the hour, or do you just have to stand in line?

>> Then there should be enough members in that group to start their own furry
>> site and leave us the hell alone.
>
> There is plenty of room offered on Velan and Orlando for art that
>wouldn't be accepted by rat or his successor for whatever reasons (and a
>big thank-you to those responsible for both!). Some of us just like to
>bug Ratman about this stuff now and then.

Why not just... shut up? Use the other sites. Just don't keep slandering me with
things I didn't do.

> Maybe some furs should get together and put up a 100% drippy furry
>spooge site. I wonder if spoogemonkey.org is registered. =) Or
>crowbar.com. `=>

That would be nice. But would the admin have the courage to stand up to the low
quality stuff?
I'd love it if someone started up yiff.com or some such thing. Similar to my
site, but erotica only.

Ratman

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
"Gordon McVey" <g.m...@zen.co.uk> wrote:

>> Ixbalam <jaguarNO_SPAM@REMOVE_THISmagiccarpet.com> wrote:
>> > ra...@rat.org (Ratman) wrote:
>> >

>> > Oh gee, Ratman. Everyone who disagrees with you is an asshole. *hmm*
>>
>> Well, is it just me, or have the vast majority of furs who've publicly
>> taken rat to task ACTED like assholes?
>

>I did post a bit of an objection here when he banned one of Sue's pieces on
>the basis it was a photograph, but I tried to be polite about it. No one
>responded to my post, so I guess those who disagree with rat only get
>NOTICED if they're assholes :)

I'm sure all of Sue's friends "objected" to us not bending to her will.
The bottom line was how she reacted to being told no. The actual issue became
irrelevent when she up and pulled all her art off. To me that says, "childish
artist, just let them leave". Saves us trouble later down the road.

Ratman

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
Syke <str...@dallas.crosswinds.net> wrote:

>Gordon McVey wrote:

>> > Well, is it just me, or have the vast majority of furs who've publicly
>> > taken rat to task ACTED like assholes?
>>
>> I did post a bit of an objection here when he banned one of Sue's pieces on
>> the basis it was a photograph, but I tried to be polite about it. No one
>> responded to my post, so I guess those who disagree with rat only get
>> NOTICED if they're assholes :)
>

>They only get noticed because they post repeatedly to sooth the injustice they
>think has occured to them. :) They twist it around to affecting them... although
>
>I have NO idea how it does effect them.
>
>You could easily compare it to a parent who has a child. That parent will allow
>certain children to play with that child and will make rules. Is that wrong?

Hehe! Children! I love it!
But a more friendly analogy is just going over a friend's house.
If they say "please don't smoke", then you don't smoke. That's it. If you want
to smoke, go outside.
It's not a difficult concept, but there will always be those that simply "don't
get it".
Most do get it, but aren't as loud as those that don't. I think i'm happy with
that. :)

Gordon McVey

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98

> >> Well, is it just me, or have the vast majority of furs who've publicly
> >> taken rat to task ACTED like assholes?
> >
> >I did post a bit of an objection here when he banned one of Sue's pieces on
> >the basis it was a photograph, but I tried to be polite about it. No one
> >responded to my post, so I guess those who disagree with rat only get
> >NOTICED if they're assholes :)
>
> I'm sure all of Sue's friends "objected" to us not bending to her will.
> The bottom line was how she reacted to being told no. The actual issue became
> irrelevent when she up and pulled all her art off. To me that says, "childish
> artist, just let them leave". Saves us trouble later down the road.

Nononono.... I am capable of indepandant thought, and I can assure you that
my objection was not prompted in any way by Sue, and that the "quotation
marks" are entirely unnecessary. Yes, Sue is my friend, yes, I do value
her opinion as an artist and as a friend highly, no, that doesn't mean I am
her personal yes man.

In a similar vain, I do appreciate what you have done and the effort you
have put into yerf, and I do have the greatest respect for both you and the
rules you run yerf by, but again, that doesn't necessarily mean I will
agree with them in every case. I can understand why you banned those
annoying photos with one tiny little fur drawn in the corner, but Sue's
photo was a completely different case, and I personally feel that an
exception should have been made.

Ratman

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
"Gordon McVey" <g.m...@zen.co.uk> wrote:

Point taken. And maybe that's a decision that will be reversed later down the
road. I guess I got a little defensive after Sue's constant whining. It's like I
just have to say no when people whine, no matter what really should be done.

But do you see my point on why I didn't allow it? That painting on her hood was
real art. Where would I draw the line? Sculptures? Finger drawn doodles on the
bathroom mirror when it's steamy? Pissing in the snow? Drawing in the dust on
your car's window? A furry snowman? Grafitti? The list goes on and on. Whenever
we make an "exception", we have to deal with tons and tons of "you let that on,
why not mine?" email. Maybe if you were an admin you'd understand?
You can't just think, "what do i want to see", you have to think, "what impact
will this have in the long run?".

Tim Gadd

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
When following up this thread, could you please not cross-post to ALF.

--
Tim Gadd
Hobart, Tasmania

Lupercal .com
@wolf-web

Homepage: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/1161/

"Ultimately, the dog... its constant presence in human experience coupled
with its nearness to the feral world, is the alter ego of man himself."

- David Gordon White, 'Myths of the Dog-Man'.

Allen Kitchen

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98

Please stop crossposting this to alt.lifestyle.furry
Thank you.

Allen Kitchen (shockwave, wolf in charge of security)

Gordon McVey

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
> "Gordon McVey" <g.m...@zen.co.uk> wrote:

> >Nononono.... I am capable of indepandant thought, and I can assure you that
> >my objection was not prompted in any way by Sue, and that the "quotation
> >marks" are entirely unnecessary. Yes, Sue is my friend, yes, I do value
> >her opinion as an artist and as a friend highly, no, that doesn't mean I am
> >her personal yes man.
> >
> >In a similar vain, I do appreciate what you have done and the effort you
> >have put into yerf, and I do have the greatest respect for both you and the
> >rules you run yerf by, but again, that doesn't necessarily mean I will
> >agree with them in every case. I can understand why you banned those
> >annoying photos with one tiny little fur drawn in the corner, but Sue's
> >photo was a completely different case, and I personally feel that an
> >exception should have been made.
>
> Point taken. And maybe that's a decision that will be reversed later down the
> road. I guess I got a little defensive after Sue's constant whining. It's like I
> just have to say no when people whine, no matter what really should be done.

Well, that is understandible, I guess. I doubt I'd appreciate the constant
complaints much either.

> But do you see my point on why I didn't allow it? That painting on her hood was
> real art. Where would I draw the line? Sculptures? Finger drawn doodles on the
> bathroom mirror when it's steamy? Pissing in the snow? Drawing in the dust on
> your car's window? A furry snowman? Grafitti? The list goes on and on. Whenever
> we make an "exception", we have to deal with tons and tons of "you let that on,
> why not mine?" email. Maybe if you were an admin you'd understand?
> You can't just think, "what do i want to see", you have to think, "what impact
> will this have in the long run?".

*chuckle* I was having a discussion with Sully along those lines on YiffNet
yesterday. The Susan Rankin picture was one of the issues that came up.
All I can say about Sully's appointment as the new yerf admin is "Rather
him than me!" :) The whole thing with photos is a real grey area, the best
you can do is to decide personally what you consider acceptible and
unacceptible, and draw your line there. I can fully appreciate why you
decided to be absolutely firm on the issue of photos and not allow them at
all. I simply disagree with it,that's all. In your posidtion, I would
have allowed Sue's photo to stay. But that's just me.

Susan Rankin

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
In article <35aafe5f....@furry.ao.net>, ra...@rat.org says...

>Point taken. And maybe that's a decision that will be reversed later down the
>road. I guess I got a little defensive after Sue's constant whining. It's like I
>just have to say no when people whine, no matter what really should be done.

Funny, I don't recall whinning...making one snitty comment, which we're all
entitled to do at least once in our lives when we feel we've been wronged, yes, but not
whinning. It's not my style.

SusanDeer

H. Riesen

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98

On 12 Jul 1998, Susan Rankin wrote:

> In article <35A8A585...@yerf.com>, su...@yerf.com says...
>
> >it's not like we made a big deal over it.. you had your
> >precious little party.. :)
>
> Dressing room, sweetie, dressing room. I doubt getting in and out of some of
> those zoots is anything like a party.

Nor is having to stand around sweating in one for twenty minutes
while somebody holds a wedding in the middle of the Masquerade. *whew!*
I hope somebody brought that up at the feedback meeting! A "green
room" is really necessary for that sort of event, especially given the
*slow* elevators -- not being able to get out of suit is actually
dangerous.

> > SusanDeer

~*~ Auryanne the Radiant ~*~
Dragon Ascending to the Heavens
~*~ Chih Qiu Tian Long ~*~

aury...@drizzle.com
http://www.drizzle.com/~auryanne
DC.D(sun) f+ s+ h Csunlight a- $ m** d+ WL++* Fr++++ L30f Bfire g-- i+! U

Conrad Wong

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
In article <35A91800...@yerf.com>, S. arsenault <su...@yerf.com> wrote:
>also, a big thanks to the oh-so-generous Lynx for
>allowing us Yerf folks to share their suite that night.
>a splendid time was had by all!

You're welcome. };)

We should talk about how to handle the party scene for next year's
Anthrocon. Considering the strong show the yerf.com regulars put
on this time, there's probably ample support for the idea of using
a big function room with lots of tables and chairs for a general
con suite.

-- Lynx (the ky00t one)
--
| __|\ | Conrad "Lynx" Wong | Upstart feline miscreant |
| ._| _ : | 101 First Street, suite 554 | LY Go B Y++ L++ C++++ T++ A-- |

co...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98

> Well, is it just me, or have the vast majority of furs who've publicly
> taken rat to task ACTED like assholes?

Nate, I don't know if you know or not, but I'm among those that harbor a
strong dislike for the whole rat.state..

> Then there should be enough members in that group to start their own furry
> site and leave us the hell alone.

I did, sort of. It's called 'mongrel'. Remember?

Brian Root

Allen Kitchen

Jul 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/13/98
to Ratman
Ratman wrote:

But do you see my point on why I didn't allow it? That painting on her hood was
real art. Where would I draw the line? Sculptures? Finger drawn doodles on the
bathroom mirror when it's steamy? Pissing in the snow? Drawing in the dust on
your car's window? A furry snowman? Grafitti? The list goes on and on. Whenever
we make an "exception", we have to deal with tons and tons of "you let that on,
why not mine?" email.

***

reply=Because I made an exception for this artist for personal reasons
on my own site. If you can impress me sufficiently, you too will gain
that exception, once, as she did. Until you convince me otherwise and
in a professional manner, the rule stands.

The Law of the Land (tm) understands that no rule is perfect. That's
why we have judges and juries; to deal with grey areas. Judgement
calls are well within your rights on your site. And exceptions to the
rules are understood when they are infrequent.

I also felt Sue's hood should have been acceptable. Had she been
able to find a scanner big enough, you would not have objected to
the scan. The photo was just a scanning method for an unusual
canvas IMHO. The art was clearly furry and of good talent...
an exception should have been extended, one time for her. As a
courtesy, if nothing else.

And I doubt you get too many "piss in the snow" images these days :)

Allen Kitchen (shockwave, in the texas heatwave)

Matthew Milam

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
On 12 Jul 1998 17:56:53 GMT, "Nate Patrin"
<n8r...@pioneerplanet.infi.spammers.smoke.crack.net> wrote:

>Then there should be enough members in that group to start their own furry
>site and leave us the hell alone.

Let me ask you a question, do you hate goverment? This is essential in
order to for me to understand you. Because it seems to me, that alot
of people are accepting the inefficeny of his server out of fear and
social status. Lot's of furs could start there own server, but don't
want to or "in there minds" have the time. They use the ones that are
avaliable, and are hopefully run with excellence. This isn't the case
with Rat's server, and I can't understand why you fight that idea,
especially considering the hell we place oursleves in every damn year.
fighting it out over who's wrong and right, when the facts are clear
in front of our face, at least in this instance. Same with the CF9
artshow.

Matthew Milam
dynam...@email.msn.com

RedWolf885

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
Allen Kitchen howled

>Allen Kitchen (shockwave, in the texas heatwave)

That's gotta be awful what with being a Black Wolf furry and all. I have
enough trouble being a Red Wolf in this mid 80's to 90's often humid heat here
in east Tennessee.

RedWolf885

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
Michael J. rider wote

>remember the message he sent out to the Swat Kats mailing list on rat.org
>long ago, when he shut it down, saying that the Kats are dead and telling
>everyone to get out of there. Apparently he had done the same thing
>before with a Sonic mailing list.

I was told that the reason for the Sonic ban was that there was just too much
Sonic art being posted to what was then SCFA. If someone went to looking
around SCFA, most of what they saw was Sonic art because there was so much of
it.

Too bad the ban also had to include any pix of Sally Acorn. I would have liked
to have seen them.

RedWolf885

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
S. Arsenalt wrote

>lemme give a great big thank you right now... first to
>Skorzy and Dale for bringing along that great big tank
>of orange chocolate chip ice cream, and those homemade
>chocochip cookies! wowee! talk about heavenly
>sammiches!

What? No Oreos and Nutella?

RedWolf885

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
Ixbalam purred

>In article <199807120836...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,
>redwo...@aol.com (RedWolf885) wrote:
>
>> I honestly don't know why, but will someone please clue me in as to how
>> yerf.com simply changing owners means that news:alt.lifestle.furry won't be
>> around anymore and why the new owners apparently don't want to keep it
>around?
>> Don't they know that if news:alt.lifestle.furry drops out os existance that
>> majoe source of enjoyment for many furs will be lost forever?
>
> It doesn't mean that at all. Ratman screwed up and reposted something
>originally posted to one of his internal newsgroups that only exists on
>Rat.org to AFF and ALF. Rat.org carries this group but so do all the
>other FurryNet servers and most others.
>
> This group is staying. :)

You can't even begin to imagine how relieved I felt when I first read Ratman's
post that his origiomal post was posted to the urrynet groups by mistake :-)

Allen Kitchen

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98

RedWolf885 <redwo...@aol.com> wrote in article
<199807141930...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

> Allen Kitchen howled
>
> >Allen Kitchen (shockwave, in the texas heatwave)
>
> That's gotta be awful what with being a Black Wolf furry and all. I have
> enough trouble being a Red Wolf in this mid 80's to 90's often humid heat
here
> in east Tennessee.

Here it is solid 100 - 110 degrees faranheit around 2pm.
Yesterday was nice though: we had a cloud provide a
few minutes of shade! (and there was much rejoicing)
And this wolf is smart enough to stay indoors as much
as he can. Anybody thinks I'm going out ontoto a
tarmac in this is loco!

Keep cool everyone! (hands iced tea with lemon to all
in the lobby of Homestead)

allen kitchen (the polar ice caps lock key just melted !)