war in the CT

{:-])))

Oct 23, 2017, 7:47:57 PM10/23/17
<< begin quote of the Chuang-tzu >>

Hsu Wu-kuei was received in audience by Marquis Wu. "Sir," said
Marquis Wu, "for a long time now you have lived in your mountain
forest, eating acorns and chestnuts, getting along on wild leeks and
scallions, and scorning me completely. Now is it old age, or perhaps a
longing for the taste of meat and wine, that has brought you here? Or
perhaps you have come to bring blessing to my altars of the soil and
grain."

Hsu Wu-kuei said, "I was born to poverty and lowliness and have never
ventured to eat or drink any of your wine or meat, my lord. I have
come in order to comfort you."

"What?" said the ruler. "Why should you comfort me?"

"I want to bring comfort to your spirit and body."

"What do you mean by that?" asked Marquis Wu.

Hsi! Wu-kuei said, "Heaven and earth provide nourishment for all
things alike. To have ascended to a high position cannot be considered
an advantage; to live in lowliness cannot be considered a handicap.
Now you, as sole ruler of this land of ten thousand chariots, may tax
the resources of the entire populace of your realm in nourishing the
appetites of your ears and eyes, your nose and mouth. But the spirit
will not permit such a way of life. The spirit loves harmony and hates
licentiousness. Licentiousness is a kind of sickness, and that is why
I have come to offer my comfort. I just wonder, my lord, how aware you
are of your own sickness."

Marquis Wu said, "I have in fact been hoping to see you for a long
time, Sir. I would like to cherish my people, practice righteousness,
and lay down the weapons of war - how would that do?"

"It won't!" said Hsu Wu-kuei "To cherish the people is to open the way
to harming them! To practice righteousness and lay down your weapons
is to sow the seeds for more weapon-wielding! If you go at it this
way, I'm afraid you will never succeed. All attempts to create
something admirable are the weapons of evil. You may think you are
practising benevolence and righteousness, but in effect you will be
creating a kind of artificiality. Where a model exists, copies will be
made of it; where success has been gained, boasting follows; where
debate exists, there will be outbreaks of hostility. On the other
hand, it will not do, my lord, to have files of marching soldiers
filling the whole area within your fortress towers, or ranks of
cavalry drawn up before the Palace of the Black Altar. Do not store in
your heart what is contrary to your interests. Do not try to outdo
others in skill. Do not try to overcome others by stratagems. Do not
try to conquer others in battle. If you kill the officials and people
of another ruler and annex his lands, using them to nourish your
personal desires and your spirit, then I cannot say which contender is
the better fighter, and to which the real victory belongs! If you must
do something, cultivate the sincerity which is in your breast and use
it to respond without opposition to the true form of Heaven and earth.
Then the people will have won their reprieve from death. What need
will there be for you to resort to this `laying down of weapons'?"

<< end of quote >>