Runner's world comment--heel to toe when walking barefoot

Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

Jul 5, 2014, 11:50:52 AM7/5/14
Someone brought up a question on Runner's World about walking barefoot--heel
to toe, or toe to heel? I'm going to claim heel to toe, using burning hot
blacktop as a justification.

Toe/heel: toes touch the asphalt and continue burning as the balls of the
feet touch the asphalt. The balls of the feet remain in contact and burn as
the edge of the feet touches, and then the tougher and more resistant heel
touches. The balls of the feet are in longer contact with the asphalt, and
therefore burn more and dissipate less heat with each step.

Heel/toe: The tougher and more resistant heel touches the asphalt, just as
the heels starts to burn then then the edge of the foot touches. If
excessively hot enough then the balls of the feet and the toes can be
quickly flicked in the air to reduce their contact time and dissipate the
most heat. This toe flicking is not possible using a toe/heel stepping
method--at best the toes can be lifted as the balls of the feet contact the
asphalt.

Mostly flat foot: The entire foot burns instead of one part at a time. Heats
the feet up faster and dissipates less heat with each step.

Cooler temperatures, it doesn't matter which way. But for the hottest
surfaces, I'd say it's a must to walk heel/toe.

{:-])))

Jul 5, 2014, 1:03:30 PM7/5/14
I rarely, if ever, walk or run toe-heel.
Tippy-toes, sure. To be very, very, quiet.

If the surface is very rocky I might go flat-footed
to increase the area which makes contact
and enable better balance, etc.
To not bruise or puncture.
Going slow can be good.

I've read about toe-strike running.