20 years later...

Steve

Dec 5, 2016, 2:53:17 PM12/5/16
I reckon, if I'm not mistaken, that it's 20 years since the Foston's Ash
Dead Mouse Meet.

Anyone here care to comment?

- Steve
ICQ 8554470

John Hall

Dec 6, 2016, 9:57:29 AM12/6/16
In message <memo.2016120...@steve.cix.co.uk>, Steve
<j80k...@dea.spamcon.org> writes
>I reckon, if I'm not mistaken, that it's 20 years since the Foston's Ash
>Dead Mouse Meet.
>
>Anyone here care to comment?

I think I must have missed that meet , as I don't even remember its
name.
--
John Hall
"One can certainly imagine the myriad of uses

Steve

Dec 8, 2016, 5:31:22 AM12/8/16
In article <bq8qsbDU9sRYFwyo@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>,
john_...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall) wrote:
Were you here at the start of a.l.u.e. John?

- Steve

John Hall

Dec 8, 2016, 11:53:30 AM12/8/16
In message <memo.2016120...@steve.cix.co.uk>, Steve
<j80k...@dea.spamcon.org> writes
>In article <bq8qsbDU9sRYFwyo@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>,
>john_...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall) wrote:
>
>> From: John Hall <john_...@jhall.co.uk>
>> Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 14:46:44 +0000
>>
>> In message <memo.2016120...@steve.cix.co.uk>, Steve
>> <j80k...@dea.spamcon.org> writes
>> >I reckon, if I'm not mistaken, that it's 20 years since the
>> Foston's Ash
>> >Dead Mouse Meet.
>> >
>> >Anyone here care to comment?
>>
>> I think I must have missed that meet , as I don't even remember its
>> name.
>>
>Were you here at the start of a.l.u.e. John?
>
> - Steve

Yes.

Steve

Dec 9, 2016, 3:24:19 AM12/9/16
In article <Nq9$ZqGG5YSYFwoj@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>,
I see you in the archive on Goggle groups, right back to 10/12/1996.
Though I think that much of the discussion was on IRC #UMTSS

Working in a pub meant that I didn't get much chance to join in with
those.

You remember 'Adski', 'Haplo' and 'Vivianne' ? There were of course many
other, but they were the first three I saw that I remembered.

- Steve

John Hall

Dec 9, 2016, 12:09:46 PM12/9/16
>I see you in the archive on Goggle groups, right back to 10/12/1996.
>Though I think that much of the discussion was on IRC #UMTSS

That might explain it. I was never an IRCer. I did go to a number of
alue meets, though.

>Working in a pub meant that I didn't get much chance to join in with
>those.
>
>You remember 'Adski', 'Haplo' and 'Vivianne' ? There were of course
>many other, but they were the first three I saw that I remembered.

Haplo and Vivianne, certainly. I don't think I remember Adski, but that
may just be because my memory is rubbish these days.

Steve

Dec 9, 2016, 3:53:43 PM12/9/16
In article <IISNUXBWPuSYFwL3@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>,
john_...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall) wrote:

> From: John Hall <john_...@jhall.co.uk>
I only went because I was kind of 'involved' in that the venue was in my
charge at the time. Adam was Haplo's sidekick on the organisational side
of things if my (also failing) memory recalls correctly. ;)

Where are you based?

- Steve

John Hall

Dec 9, 2016, 4:49:54 PM12/9/16
>Where are you based?

Surrey.

Steve

Dec 10, 2016, 4:49:39 AM12/10/16
In article <FWOuTIImVySYFwLr@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>,
john_...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall) wrote:

> From: John Hall <john_...@jhall.co.uk>
> Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 21:43:02 +0000
>
> In message <memo.2016120...@steve.cix.co.uk>, Steve
> <j80k...@dea.spamcon.org> writes
> >Where are you based?
>
> Surrey.
> --
Ahh OK, I knew a chap locally with the same name.

We don't seem to have woken anyone else do we? I'll turn the lights out
on my way out. ;)

- Steve

John Hall

Dec 10, 2016, 6:30:45 AM12/10/16
In message <memo.2016121...@steve.cix.co.uk>, Steve
<j80k...@dea.spamcon.org> writes
>In article <FWOuTIImVySYFwLr@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>,
>john_...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall) wrote:
>
>> From: John Hall <john_...@jhall.co.uk>
>> Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 21:43:02 +0000
>>
>> In message <memo.2016120...@steve.cix.co.uk>, Steve
>> <j80k...@dea.spamcon.org> writes
>> >Where are you based?
>>
>> Surrey.

>Ahh OK, I knew a chap locally with the same name.
>
>We don't seem to have woken anyone else do we? I'll turn the lights out
>on my way out. ;)

:)

Your post that started this thread was the first "genuine" one I've seen
in here for many years. (There's been the occasional post from the odd
random nutter.)

Steve

Dec 10, 2016, 7:31:50 AM12/10/16
In article <vIuEUECnc+SYFwuR@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>,
I only rejoined this group to post that ;)

The only reason I keep Usenet is for the comp.lang groups I monitor.

- Steve

Graeme

Dec 11, 2016, 8:53:24 AM12/11/16
>We don't seem to have woken anyone else do we? I'll turn the lights out
>on my way out. ;)

<snore>

Hap and Vivienne are busy on FB. Well, Alison, Hap's wife is, not sure
about Haplo himself. Various other Alue-ers are there, too.

No, I don't remember the Foston's Ash Dead Mouse Meet, either. Or
Adski.

I wasn't part of the initial Alue, but crawled in later, via dl, The
Caff and Afba.

--
Geep

Mike Fleming

Dec 11, 2016, 9:27:20 AM12/11/16
In article <vIuEUECnc+SYFwuR@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
<john_...@jhall.co.uk> writes:

> In message <memo.2016121...@steve.cix.co.uk>, Steve
> <j80k...@dea.spamcon.org> writes
> >In article <FWOuTIImVySYFwLr@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>,
> >john_...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall) wrote:
> >
> >> From: John Hall <john_...@jhall.co.uk>
> >> Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 21:43:02 +0000
> >>
> >> In message <memo.2016120...@steve.cix.co.uk>, Steve
> >> <j80k...@dea.spamcon.org> writes
> >>
> >> Surrey.
>
> >Ahh OK, I knew a chap locally with the same name.
> >
> >We don't seem to have woken anyone else do we? I'll turn the lights out
> >on my way out. ;)
> >

> :)
>
> Your post that started this thread was the first "genuine" one I've seen
> in here for many years. (There's been the occasional post from the odd
> random nutter.)

I'm still here. Or it's on my subscribed newsgroups, anyway.

--
mike

John Hall

Dec 11, 2016, 11:17:54 AM12/11/16
In message <6hoq4chmfgtujsme0...@4ax.com>, Mike Fleming
<{mike}@tauzero.co.uk> writes
Good. I don't recall having seen you post here for a very long time,
though. (In case you think I was classifying you as a "random nutter".
:)

John Hall

Dec 11, 2016, 11:17:54 AM12/11/16
In message <YZkAHkNG...@binnsroad.myzen.co.uk>, Graeme
<Ne...@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>Hap and Vivienne are busy on FB. Well, Alison, Hap's wife is, not sure
>about Haplo himself. Various other Alue-ers are there, too.

I have a Facebook account, but almost never use it. I soon found that it
wasn't for me. Too much in the way of bells and whistles, and it's not
designed to have a proper discussion.

Graeme

Dec 12, 2016, 4:49:49 AM12/12/16
In message <up3Di8EsoXTYFw0G@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>, John Hall
<john_...@jhall.co.uk> writes
>In message <YZkAHkNG...@binnsroad.myzen.co.uk>, Graeme
><Ne...@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>>Hap and Vivienne are busy on FB. Well, Alison, Hap's wife is, not
>>sure about Haplo himself. Various other Alue-ers are there, too.
>
>I have a Facebook account, but almost never use it. I soon found that
>it wasn't for me. Too much in the way of bells and whistles, and it's
>not designed to have a proper discussion.

John, I agree. However, I do use it, although I don't like it. I am
never entirely sure who is seeing, or could see, my posts, but as I tend
not to post anything of consequence, have decided it doesn't really
matter. I accepted long ago that, in this age, anyone who *really*
wanted to find me would do so despite my efforts.

--
Geep

Steve

Dec 12, 2016, 3:07:20 PM12/12/16
In article <TueyqKbu...@binnsroad.myzen.co.uk>,
Ne...@nospam.demon.co.uk (Graeme) wrote:
I have FB but use it very little. I left but came back for close friends
and family only. I don't believe that anyone can have 1000 friends!!

Anything I post, Like or check-in to gets removed after a few weeks. My
twitter account has a script running on my server that deletes my old
tweets after a month. It'll all have been archived, but the original is
gone from public view. (You can guarantee it's still on their servers
though!)

- Steve