Just want to dance the night away

Kathryn Ghent

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99
Apparently the Rockhouse is now doing a classic rock night as well as a
rock night - Do people still want to meet up on June 26th or see what
the classic rock night is like?

Whatever is decided I think a later start is a better idea - less drop
out due to drun^^^tiredness.

Let me know if beds are required - it should be better weather for
camping as well.
--
Kathryn Ghent

Smudge

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99
Kathryn Ghent shook the scrabble bag and these words of wisdom fell out

>Apparently the Rockhouse is now doing a classic rock night as well as a
>rock night - Do people still want to meet up on June 26th or see what
>the classic rock night is like?

I am bolloxed until late July due to theatre commitments :( (I am and
Assistant Stage Manager *and* fairy (scary) No3 in a production of
Midsummer Nights Dream!)

The Classic night gets my vote for sometime.

Having said all that, I will see if I can be away for the weekend of
26th when I see the director ( She who *shall* be obeyed) on Monday.

--
Smudge Never admit that a task is too difficult; just
show that it's innapropriate that you should be

Mike Harrison

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99
According to my spies, in article <T7LqyCAu...@ghent.demon.co.uk>,
Kathryn Ghent <kat...@ghent.demon.co.uk> said

>Apparently the Rockhouse is now doing a classic rock night as well as a
>rock night - Do people still want to meet up on June 26th or see what
>the classic rock night is like?

When's the classic rock night?

>Whatever is decided I think a later start is a better idea - less drop
>out due to drun^^^tiredness.

Less late nights in the preceding week would probably work better for
me.

>Let me know if beds are required - it should be better weather for
>camping as well.

Bed, tent space - whatever.

NP: Sofa No. 2 - Frank Zappa
--
Mike Harrison.

I am the Chrome Dinette
I am eggs of all persuasions

Sue

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
Smudge <mal...@Smith.net> wrote

> I am bolloxed until late July due to theatre commitments :( (I am and
> Assistant Stage Manager *and* fairy (scary) No3 in a production of
> Midsummer Nights Dream!)

When and where Smudge? Dream is one of the plays I shall be studying next
year - is your production likely to enhance my enjoyment of the course?
(apart from the obvious attraction of watching you fairying your way around
the stage of course!)
--
~
Sue

Smudge

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
Sue shook the scrabble bag and these words of wisdom fell out

>Smudge <mal...@Smith.net> wrote
>>
>> I am bolloxed until late July due to theatre commitments :( (I am and
>> Assistant Stage Manager *and* fairy (scary) No3 in a production of
>> Midsummer Nights Dream!)
>
>When and where Smudge?

St Albans, Hertfordshire, Gardens of the Rose. Early July.

>Dream is one of the plays I shall be studying next
>year - is your production likely to enhance my enjoyment of the course?

Bugger knows. It is being set in the 90's from a costume and 'setting'
point of view, but I believe the language remains as WS intended.

>(apart from the obvious attraction of watching you fairying your way around
>the stage of course!)

Hmmmmmm

NP:

GeezisH

Jun 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/11/99
Smudge wrote:
> It {Dream} is being set in the 90's from a costume and 'setting'

>point of view, but I believe the language remains as WS intended.

amazing how well wm holds up to modern interpretations. hsu did measure while
i was a student, opening with a full-on surround sound helicopter landing;
everything set in modern times: angelo's quarters as modern corporate ceo's
office, etc. quite effective & once you got use to the anachronism of
elizabethan english, quite believable.

Sue

Jun 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/11/99
Smudge <mal...@Smith.net> wrote in article
<BDBgT1AP...@bellona.demon.co.uk>...

> Sue shook the scrabble bag and these words of wisdom fell out
> >Smudge <mal...@Smith.net> wrote
> >>
> >> I am bolloxed until late July due to theatre commitments :( (I am and
> >> Assistant Stage Manager *and* fairy (scary) No3 in a production of
> >> Midsummer Nights Dream!)
> >
> >When and where Smudge?
>
> St Albans, Hertfordshire, Gardens of the Rose. Early July.

Prob not too good for me then. All day tutorial on 3rd, visitors on 4th and
on hol on 6th so not too much of a window there considering the distance
involved! Oh well, maybe some other time. Sounds interesting though - a lot
of the study will concern actual performance.
--
~
Sue

Sue

Jun 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/11/99
GeezisH <gee...@aol.com> wrote in

I reckon it only takes about 10mins to get into the language, by then you
don't really notice how incongruous it ought to sound in a modern setting.
--
~
Sue

Kathryn Ghent

Jun 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/13/99
In article <w7c1mpAY...@merida.demon.co.uk>, Mike Harrison
<m...@merida.demon.co.uk> writes

>>Apparently the Rockhouse is now doing a classic rock night as well as a
>>rock night - Do people still want to meet up on June 26th or see what
>>the classic rock night is like?
>>
>When's the classic rock night?

Tonight. I took a hayfever tablet at lunch time and woke up at 10pm
feeling lousy. Damn, damn and double damn. I'll get some dates for the
next few months. The 26th is still on and I'll be sneezing.

>>Whatever is decided I think a later start is a better idea - less drop
>>out due to drun^^^tiredness.
>>
>Less late nights in the preceding week would probably work better for
>me.
>
>>Let me know if beds are required - it should be better weather for
>>camping as well.
>
>Bed, tent space - whatever.

You can get an upgrade from sofa bed to real bed.

--
Kathryn Ghent

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the
opposite. -- J.K. Galbraith

Cerian Bran

Jun 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/14/99
In article <YPyovoA1yuY3MwW$@ghent.demon.co.uk>, Kathryn Ghent
<kat...@ghent.demon.co.uk> writes

>Tonight. I took a hayfever tablet at lunch time and woke up at 10pm
>feeling lousy. Damn, damn and double damn. I'll get some dates for the
>next few months. The 26th is still on and I'll be sneezing.

I know the feeling - the doctor assures me that Clarityn will *not* make
me sleepy. So, why since I have been taking them do I get "sleeping
sickness" every afternoon. Last night I fell asleep about 5.30pm and
only woke up at 9pm cos the phone was ringing (cheers Jude!!)

And I feel like shit too. Consultant at hospital today agrees that
tablets are exacerbating my problems and has removed the offending one
and given me prescription for new ones. Except hospital pharmacy
doesn't stock them and I have to force an appt from doctor to get a
chemist's script. So I I have a dilemma - to stop taking Clarityn now
and suffer hayfever til I get new ones or keep taking them and still get
hayfever

GOD I HATE THE SUMMER!!

</sneeze>
--
Cerian

Kay Easton

Jun 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/14/99
In article <ZKODmGAB...@the-luggage.demon.co.uk>, Cerian Bran
<Cer...@the-luggage.demon.co.uk> writes

>In article <YPyovoA1yuY3MwW$@ghent.demon.co.uk>, Kathryn Ghent
><kat...@ghent.demon.co.uk> writes
>>Tonight. I took a hayfever tablet at lunch time and woke up at 10pm
>>feeling lousy. Damn, damn and double damn. I'll get some dates for the
>>next few months. The 26th is still on and I'll be sneezing.
>>>
>I know the feeling - the doctor assures me that Clarityn will *not* make
>me sleepy. So, why since I have been taking them do I get "sleeping
>sickness" every afternoon.

I'm impressed! I've never been able to detect any effect whatever from
Clarityn. Certainly not the effect they were prescribed for.

>And I feel like shit too. Consultant at hospital today agrees that
>tablets are exacerbating my problems and has removed the offending one
>and given me prescription for new ones. Except hospital pharmacy
>doesn't stock them and I have to force an appt from doctor to get a
>chemist's script. So I I have a dilemma - to stop taking Clarityn now
>and suffer hayfever til I get new ones or keep taking them and still get
>hayfever

Sorry. You must be feeling dreadful.
--
Kay Easton

Smudge

Jun 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/15/99
Kay Easton shook the scrabble bag and these words of wisdom fell out

>In article <ZKODmGAB...@the-luggage.demon.co.uk>, Cerian Bran
><Cer...@the-luggage.demon.co.uk> writes
>>In article <YPyovoA1yuY3MwW$@ghent.demon.co.uk>, Kathryn Ghent
>><kat...@ghent.demon.co.uk> writes
>>>Tonight. I took a hayfever tablet at lunch time and woke up at 10pm
>>>feeling lousy. Damn, damn and double damn. I'll get some dates for the
>>>next few months. The 26th is still on and I'll be sneezing.
>>>>
>>I know the feeling - the doctor assures me that Clarityn will *not* make
>>me sleepy. So, why since I have been taking them do I get "sleeping
>>sickness" every afternoon.

You're pregnant?

>I'm impressed! I've never been able to detect any effect whatever from
>Clarityn. Certainly not the effect they were prescribed for.

Nor I, but it didn't mix with alcohol very well in my case.

--
Smudge
There's so much good in the worst of us and so much bad in the best of us,

Cerian Bran

Jun 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/15/99
In article <kjd87PAx...@scarboro.demon.co.uk>, Kay Easton
<k...@scarboro.demon.co.uk> writes

>In article <ZKODmGAB...@the-luggage.demon.co.uk>, Cerian Bran
><Cer...@the-luggage.demon.co.uk> writes
>>In article <YPyovoA1yuY3MwW$@ghent.demon.co.uk>, Kathryn Ghent
>><kat...@ghent.demon.co.uk> writes
>>>Tonight. I took a hayfever tablet at lunch time and woke up at 10pm
>>>feeling lousy. Damn, damn and double damn. I'll get some dates for the
>>>next few months. The 26th is still on and I'll be sneezing.
>>>>
>>I know the feeling - the doctor assures me that Clarityn will *not* make
>>me sleepy. So, why since I have been taking them do I get "sleeping
>>sickness" every afternoon.
>
>I'm impressed! I've never been able to detect any effect whatever from
>Clarityn. Certainly not the effect they were prescribed for.

Yeah, they're supposed to be the best. B***ocks!! I keep saying I want
my nose surgically removed for the summer.

>>And I feel like shit too. Consultant at hospital today agrees that
>>tablets are exacerbating my problems and has removed the offending one
>>and given me prescription for new ones. Except hospital pharmacy
>>doesn't stock them and I have to force an appt from doctor to get a
>>chemist's script. So I I have a dilemma - to stop taking Clarityn now
>>and suffer hayfever til I get new ones or keep taking them and still get
>>hayfever
>
>Sorry. You must be feeling dreadful.

I am. I stopped Clarityn last night and am sitting here with tissues up
my nose! What a sight. Sorry folks, that was more than a need to know
basis :))
--
Cerian

Kathryn Ghent

Jun 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/16/99
>And I feel like shit too. Consultant at hospital today agrees that
>tablets are exacerbating my problems and has removed the offending one
>and given me prescription for new ones.

Which are bound to have their own set of side effects :(

> Except hospital pharmacy
>doesn't stock them and I have to force an appt from doctor to get a
>chemist's script.

I need to use my new stuff for 6 weeks b4 any effect is likely to take
place - however hospital pharmacy only had 14 days supply. So I have to
do the dr appt thing :(

> So I I have a dilemma - to stop taking Clarityn now
>and suffer hayfever til I get new ones or keep taking them and still get
>hayfever

I'm still taking them, being grumpy, falling asleep and when awake
grunting.

My delightful family say that this is normal.

>GOD I HATE THE SUMMER!!

Ditto

></sneeze>

rub eyes, sniff

Cerian Bran

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99
In article <0M2TvZAg...@ghent.demon.co.uk>, Kathryn Ghent
<kat...@ghent.demon.co.uk> writes

>In article <ZKODmGAB...@the-luggage.demon.co.uk>, Cerian Bran
><Cer...@the-luggage.demon.co.uk> writes
>>And I feel like shit too. Consultant at hospital today agrees that
>>tablets are exacerbating my problems and has removed the offending one
>>and given me prescription for new ones.
>
>Which are bound to have their own set of side effects :(

Probably. But so far the news is good. Reasonably snot free since
yesterday. Doc gave me new type of nosespray too so either that is
working or the tablets are superfast ones :)

>> Except hospital pharmacy
>>doesn't stock them and I have to force an appt from doctor to get a
>>chemist's script.
>
>I need to use my new stuff for 6 weeks b4 any effect is likely to take
>place - however hospital pharmacy only had 14 days supply. So I have to
>do the dr appt thing :(

What you on then? I go Telfast (brand name) - generic is fexofenadine I
thinK!!

>> So I I have a dilemma - to stop taking Clarityn now
>>and suffer hayfever til I get new ones or keep taking them and still get
>>hayfever
>
>I'm still taking them, being grumpy, falling asleep and when awake
>grunting.

You are me and I claim a tube of Pringles.

>My delightful family say that this is normal.

Toby has missed the worst of it but sounds right to me :)

>>GOD I HATE THE SUMMER!!
>>
>Ditto
>
>></sneeze>
>
>rub eyes, sniff

I get great pleasure out of rubbing my eyes like hell. Feel so much
better afterwards !!

--
Cerian

Hannah

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
Cerian Bran <Cer...@the-luggage.demon.co.uk> writes

<snip horrid stories of hayfever and crappy drugs>

My sympathies to you both. I don't *think* I have hayfever although I
am definitely allergic to some perfumes and have to move away from
people wearing them on the train. This year I seem to be sniffing and
sneezing a lot without any yukky perfume wearers in sight - is this a
particularly bad year for pollen or summat?

>>></sneeze>
>>
>>rub eyes, sniff
>
>I get great pleasure out of rubbing my eyes like hell. Feel so much
>better afterwards !!

So do I but Malcolm complains about the squishy noise it makes.
--
Han Span
Delete nospam to reply

Malcolm Ogilvie

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
In article <WMXWkvAk...@bellona.demon.co.uk>, Hannah <hannah@bellon
a.nospam.demon.co.uk> writes

>Cerian Bran <Cer...@the-luggage.demon.co.uk> writes
>>In article <0M2TvZAg...@ghent.demon.co.uk>, Kathryn Ghent
>><kat...@ghent.demon.co.uk> writes
>>>In article <ZKODmGAB...@the-luggage.demon.co.uk>, Cerian Bran
>>><Cer...@the-luggage.demon.co.uk> writes
>
><snip horrid stories of hayfever and crappy drugs>
>
>My sympathies to you both. I don't *think* I have hayfever although I
>am definitely allergic to some perfumes and have to move away from
>people wearing them on the train. This year I seem to be sniffing and
>sneezing a lot without any yukky perfume wearers in sight - is this a
>particularly bad year for pollen or summat?

So it was said on the TV news last night, with another 2-3 weeks to go
:-(

>>>rub eyes, sniff
>>
>>I get great pleasure out of rubbing my eyes like hell. Feel so much
>>better afterwards !!
>>
>So do I but Malcolm complains about the squishy noise it makes.

This Malcolm never heard a thing, but I'm prolly too far away, you'll
have to do it louder!

--
Malcolm

Jax

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
A short while ago, Hannah <han...@bellona.nospam.demon.co.uk>
burbled........

>My sympathies to you both. I don't *think* I have hayfever although I
>am definitely allergic to some perfumes and have to move away from
>people wearing them on the train. This year I seem to be sniffing and
>sneezing a lot without any yukky perfume wearers in sight - is this a
>particularly bad year for pollen or summat?

According to a programme I watched the other night, it is, Hannah.
Something to do with a very warm spring followed by lots of rain. The
acute pollen stage only lasts a couple of weeks though (grass), if
that's any consolation.

Tip: Rather than spending a fortune on the advertised hayfever remedies,
ask your pharmacist for a bottle of Piriton syrup. Approx. 1.40 UKP. The
same applies to a good number of over-the-counter medicines, especially
things like Neurofen (generic Ibuprofen is about 1/3 of the price) and
cystitis treatments (Potassium Citrate is also about 1/3 of the price).

--
Jax "The past is behind him. The future is ahead of him."
_Murray Walker - Jerez 1997_

Kay Easton

Jun 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/19/99
In article <ghJEdHAd...@warboyz.demon.co.uk>, Jax
<J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> writes

>A short while ago, Hannah <han...@bellona.nospam.demon.co.uk>
>burbled........

>Tip: Rather than spending a fortune on the advertised hayfever remedies,

>ask your pharmacist for a bottle of Piriton syrup.

and sleep for a week!
Which is why doctors have moved people to clarityn etc.

> Approx. 1.40 UKP. The
>same applies to a good number of over-the-counter medicines,

very true - especially all the combinations of
aspirin/paracetomol/codeine.

> especially
>things like Neurofen (generic Ibuprofen is about 1/3 of the price) and
>cystitis treatments (Potassium Citrate is also about 1/3 of the price).

and doesn't work :-(

A good tip though ... most of the branded things have very similar
cheaper alternatives. otoh, believing something will work seems to be a
big factor in whether it does, so perhaps it's worth paying that extra
money if it helps you believe in the product ;-)

--
Kay
'Today is the past that somebody in the future is longing to go back to'

Jax

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
A short while ago, Kay Easton <k...@scarboro.demon.co.uk> burbled........

>In article <ghJEdHAd...@warboyz.demon.co.uk>, Jax
><J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> writes
>>A short while ago, Hannah <han...@bellona.nospam.demon.co.uk>
>>burbled........
>
>>Tip: Rather than spending a fortune on the advertised hayfever remedies,
>>ask your pharmacist for a bottle of Piriton syrup.
>
>and sleep for a week!

An added bonus, especially when given to the children. ;-)

>> especially
>>things like Neurofen (generic Ibuprofen is about 1/3 of the price) and
>>cystitis treatments (Potassium Citrate is also about 1/3 of the price).
>
>and doesn't work :-(

No? Does for me.

>A good tip though ... most of the branded things have very similar
>cheaper alternatives. otoh, believing something will work seems to be a
>big factor in whether it does, so perhaps it's worth paying that extra
>money if it helps you believe in the product ;-)

<G> Perhaps that explains why Pot Cit works for me. Each mouthful makes
me feel like I'm going to throw up, therefore it _must_ be doing some
good. ;-)

--
Jax "And we've had five races so far this year, Brazil, Argentina,
Imola, Schumacher and Monaco!" _Murray Walker_

Hannah

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
Malcolm Ogilvie <mal...@ogilvie.org> writes

>In article <WMXWkvAk...@bellona.demon.co.uk>, Hannah <hannah@bellon
>a.nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>>Cerian Bran <Cer...@the-luggage.demon.co.uk> writes
>>>In article <0M2TvZAg...@ghent.demon.co.uk>, Kathryn Ghent
>>><kat...@ghent.demon.co.uk> writes
>>
>><snip horrid stories of hayfever and crappy drugs>
>>
>>My sympathies to you both. I don't *think* I have hayfever although I
>>am definitely allergic to some perfumes and have to move away from
>>people wearing them on the train. This year I seem to be sniffing and
>>sneezing a lot without any yukky perfume wearers in sight - is this a
>>particularly bad year for pollen or summat?
>>
>So it was said on the TV news last night, with another 2-3 weeks to go
>:-(

Bummer.

<sneeze, search for tissue, swear copiously>

>>>I get great pleasure out of rubbing my eyes like hell. Feel so much
>>>better afterwards !!
>>>
>>So do I but Malcolm complains about the squishy noise it makes.
>
>This Malcolm never heard a thing, but I'm prolly too far away, you'll
>have to do it louder!

Well this Malcolm moans enough you'd think the sound would travel. To
be fair he's not the only one - people at work look at me rather oddly
as well. So am I alone in making revolting noises when eye rubbing?

Hannah

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
Jax <J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> writes
>A short while ago, Hannah <han...@bellona.nospam.demon.co.uk>
>burbled........
>
>>My sympathies to you both. I don't *think* I have hayfever although I
>>am definitely allergic to some perfumes and have to move away from
>>people wearing them on the train. This year I seem to be sniffing and
>>sneezing a lot without any yukky perfume wearers in sight - is this a
>>particularly bad year for pollen or summat?
>
>According to a programme I watched the other night, it is, Hannah.
>Something to do with a very warm spring followed by lots of rain. The
>acute pollen stage only lasts a couple of weeks though (grass), if
>that's any consolation.

Hmm. So am I at the beginning of the end of the two weeks? And how on
earth do I tell if its actually hay fever?

>Tip: Rather than spending a fortune on the advertised hayfever remedies,

>ask your pharmacist for a bottle of Piriton syrup. Approx. 1.40 UKP. The
>same applies to a good number of over-the-counter medicines, especially

>things like Neurofen (generic Ibuprofen is about 1/3 of the price) and
>cystitis treatments (Potassium Citrate is also about 1/3 of the price).

Ta for that. I already upset a certain large chain of chemists by
insisting on generic ibuprofen rather than their very expensive own
brand but didn't know about the other two.

Malcolm Ogilvie

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
In article <oI3ZlrAj...@bellona.demon.co.uk>, Hannah <hannah@bellon

a.nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>Malcolm Ogilvie <mal...@ogilvie.org> writes
>>In article <WMXWkvAk...@bellona.demon.co.uk>, Hannah <hannah@bellon
>>a.nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>>>Cerian Bran <Cer...@the-luggage.demon.co.uk> writes

>>>So do I but Malcolm complains about the squishy noise it makes.
>>
>>This Malcolm never heard a thing, but I'm prolly too far away, you'll
>>have to do it louder!
>>
>Well this Malcolm moans enough you'd think the sound would travel. To
>be fair he's not the only one - people at work look at me rather oddly
>as well. So am I alone in making revolting noises when eye rubbing?

Let's have a .wav file and then a competition :-)

--
Malcolm

Cerian Bran

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
In article <WMXWkvAk...@bellona.demon.co.uk>, Hannah <hannah@bellon
a.nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>Cerian Bran <Cer...@the-luggage.demon.co.uk> writes
>>In article <0M2TvZAg...@ghent.demon.co.uk>, Kathryn Ghent
>><kat...@ghent.demon.co.uk> writes
>>>In article <ZKODmGAB...@the-luggage.demon.co.uk>, Cerian Bran
>>><Cer...@the-luggage.demon.co.uk> writes
>
><snip horrid stories of hayfever and crappy drugs>
>
>My sympathies to you both. I don't *think* I have hayfever although I
>am definitely allergic to some perfumes and have to move away from
>people wearing them on the train. This year I seem to be sniffing and
>sneezing a lot without any yukky perfume wearers in sight - is this a
>particularly bad year for pollen or summat?

Yeah, they said on the news it was the worst year for hayfever
sufferers. Like we needed to be told :)

>>>rub eyes, sniff

>>I get great pleasure out of rubbing my eyes like hell. Feel so much
>>better afterwards !!
>>
>So do I but Malcolm complains about the squishy noise it makes.

Ewww, yuck. My eyeballs are sore as I've rubbed my eyes just a tad too
much :(

But these new medications definitely seem to be working, thank god.

And thanks for the sympathy, its more than I'm getting at home :-p

--
Cerian

Cerian Bran

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
In article <CQJcXAAp...@ogilvie.org>, Malcolm Ogilvie
<mal...@ogilvie.org> writes
>In article <oI3ZlrAj...@bellona.demon.co.uk>, Hannah <hannah@bellon
>a.nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>>Malcolm Ogilvie <mal...@ogilvie.org> writes

>>>In article <WMXWkvAk...@bellona.demon.co.uk>, Hannah <hannah@bellon
>>>a.nospam.demon.co.uk> writes

>>>This Malcolm never heard a thing, but I'm prolly too far away, you'll
>>>have to do it louder!
>>>
>>Well this Malcolm moans enough you'd think the sound would travel. To
>>be fair he's not the only one - people at work look at me rather oddly
>>as well. So am I alone in making revolting noises when eye rubbing?
>
>Let's have a .wav file and then a competition :-)

Malcolm!! That's soooo yucky. And I haven't got anything to record
mine on anyway :))

--
Cerian

Mike Harrison

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
According to my spies, in article <8ATq0RA81Mb3EwbB@the-
luggage.demon.co.uk>, Cerian Bran <Cer...@the-luggage.demon.co.uk> said

>In article <WMXWkvAk...@bellona.demon.co.uk>, Hannah <hannah@bellon
>a.nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>>Cerian Bran <Cer...@the-luggage.demon.co.uk> writes
>>>In article <0M2TvZAg...@ghent.demon.co.uk>, Kathryn Ghent
>>><kat...@ghent.demon.co.uk> writes
>>
>><snip horrid stories of hayfever and crappy drugs>
>>
>is this a
>>particularly bad year for pollen or summat?
>>
>Yeah, they said on the news it was the worst year for hayfever
>sufferers. Like we needed to be told :)

Is it just me, or do we hear that same announcement *every* year?

Is there a year-by-year upward trend in pollen levels?

--
Live life to the full!
Train your ferret to juggle!

Richard Robinson

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
In article <J$CXrFA6F...@the-luggage.demon.co.uk>, Cerian Bran wrote:
>In article <CQJcXAAp...@ogilvie.org>, Malcolm Ogilvie
>>In article <oI3ZlrAj...@bellona.demon.co.uk>, Hannah <hannah@bellon
>>a.nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>>>Malcolm Ogilvie <mal...@ogilvie.org> writes

>>>Well this Malcolm moans enough you'd think the sound would travel. To
>>>be fair he's not the only one - people at work look at me rather oddly
>>>as well. So am I alone in making revolting noises when eye rubbing?
>>
>>Let's have a .wav file and then a competition :-)
>>
>Malcolm!! That's soooo yucky. And I haven't got anything to record
>mine on anyway :))

*Phew*

:-)

--
Richard Robinson

I don't want to receive UCE :- remove 'x' to reply.

Kay Easton

Jun 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/20/99
In article <3C5xVPAY...@warboyz.demon.co.uk>, Jax
<J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> writes

>>>Tip: Rather than spending a fortune on the advertised hayfever remedies,
>>>ask your pharmacist for a bottle of Piriton syrup.
>>
>>and sleep for a week!
>
>An added bonus, especially when given to the children. ;-)

But it doesn't work on children! Not on mine, anyway.

>>> especially
>>>things like Neurofen (generic Ibuprofen is about 1/3 of the price) and
>>>cystitis treatments (Potassium Citrate is also about 1/3 of the price).
>>

>>and doesn't work :-(
>
>No? Does for me.

Well, I was going to say 'lucky you' but on second thoughts no ... my
cure of Lapsang Suchong by the gallon tastes much better. Even if I find
myself resorting to the trimethoprim 50 per cent of the time.

>>A good tip though ... most of the branded things have very similar
>>cheaper alternatives. otoh, believing something will work seems to be a
>>big factor in whether it does, so perhaps it's worth paying that extra
>>money if it helps you believe in the product ;-)
>
><G> Perhaps that explains why Pot Cit works for me. Each mouthful makes
>me feel like I'm going to throw up, therefore it _must_ be doing some
>good. ;-)

Perhaps you're right :-)

--
Kay
"Never let the facts spoil a good argument"

Jax

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
A short while ago, Hannah <han...@bellona.nospam.demon.co.uk>
burbled........
>Jax <J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> writes

>>According to a programme I watched the other night, it is, Hannah.
>>Something to do with a very warm spring followed by lots of rain. The
>>acute pollen stage only lasts a couple of weeks though (grass), if
>>that's any consolation.
>>
>Hmm. So am I at the beginning of the end of the two weeks?

If it's grass you're having a problem with, you should be starting to
see a light at the end of the tunnel. According to this programme,
anyway.

I'm soooo thankful I don't suffer in this way. It looks and sounds
miserable.

> And how on
>earth do I tell if its actually hay fever?

If your symptoms are coinciding with a high pollen count, I'd say it was
a pretty safe bet. Allergen tests can be performed by the medical
profession, but I doubt very much whether they would entertain it with
someone presenting with the classic signs of hayfever during a very high
pollen count period.

>>Tip: Rather than spending a fortune on the advertised hayfever remedies,

>>ask your pharmacist for a bottle of Piriton syrup. Approx. 1.40 UKP. The

>>same applies to a good number of over-the-counter medicines, especially

>>things like Neurofen (generic Ibuprofen is about 1/3 of the price) and
>>cystitis treatments (Potassium Citrate is also about 1/3 of the price).
>

>Ta for that.

Glad to be of help :-)

> I already upset a certain large chain of chemists by
>insisting on generic ibuprofen rather than their very expensive own
>brand

Good for you! I _hate_ being ripped off.

> but didn't know about the other two.

Those were just an example. There's plenty more. If in doubt, ask the
pharmacist. Also, when given a prescription by the doctor, it's worth
checking whether the item can be bought over-the-counter. Occasionally
(not very often, I hasten to add), you'll find it can be bought for a
couple of pounds, rather than the 5.90 prescription charge.

--
Jax
"If breasts were meant to be lifted and separated then God would have put

Andy Bodkin

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
In article <W4uZrmAF...@warboyz.demon.co.uk>, Jax
<J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> writes

>Occasionally
>(not very often, I hasten to add), you'll find it can be bought for a
>couple of pounds, rather than the 5.90 prescription charge.

I tried to do that with my folic acid tablets but the strongest they do
over the counter are 400 micrograms. Worked out I'd have to take 25
tablets a day that way.

The other option was to eat cornflakes constantly, which had its appeal
but in the end I decided to stick with the prescription.

--
Andy Bodkin

Jax

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
A short while ago, Andy Bodkin <and...@b0dders.demon.co.uk>
burbled........

>>Occasionally
>>(not very often, I hasten to add), you'll find it can be bought for a
>>couple of pounds, rather than the 5.90 prescription charge.
>
>I tried to do that with my folic acid tablets but the strongest they do
>over the counter are 400 micrograms. Worked out I'd have to take 25
>tablets a day that way.

:-/ By the time you'd finished taking your daily dose, it'd be time to
start all over again.

>The other option was to eat cornflakes constantly, which had its appeal
>but in the end I decided to stick with the prescription.

I have a spare liquidiser and naso-gastric tube kicking around somewhere
;-)

--
Jax Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire

Kathryn Ghent

Jun 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/21/99
In article <8ATq0RA8...@the-luggage.demon.co.uk>, Cerian Bran
<Cer...@the-luggage.demon.co.uk> writes

>Yeah, they said on the news it was the worst year for hayfever
>sufferers. Like we needed to be told :)

They're just being cocky. I want sneezing weather presenters who can
really sympathise.

Sneeze, run out of tissues, run out of cream to put on my sore nose, rub
eyes.

>Ewww, yuck. My eyeballs are sore as I've rubbed my eyes just a tad too
>much :(

Mine are going bald - the eyelashes can't take the punishment.

>But these new medications definitely seem to be working, thank god.
>
>And thanks for the sympathy, its more than I'm getting at home :-p

It takes a good 5 years to break them in properly - Simon can 'yes dear'
on cue now.
--
Kathryn Ghent

Andy Bodkin

Jun 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/22/99
In article <ftyLuFA0...@warboyz.demon.co.uk>, Jax
<J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> writes

>I have a spare liquidiser and naso-gastric tube kicking around somewhere
>;-)

Oh, yuck, I'm glad I'd eaten before reading that :)

Thanks for the kind offer, but I think I'll stick to the tablets.

--
Andy Bodkin

Alan Price

Jun 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/22/99
>Those were just an example. There's plenty more. If in doubt, ask the
>pharmacist. Also, when given a prescription by the doctor, it's worth
>checking whether the item can be bought over-the-counter. Occasionally

>(not very often, I hasten to add), you'll find it can be bought for a
>couple of pounds, rather than the 5.90 prescription charge.

Our regular pharmacist advises if a prescribed item can be bought
cheaper as a matter of course. He also keeps a database of regular
customers and their medications, and in emergency will issue supplies
then submit a repeat prescription request on your behalf to the surgery.
He will pick up prescriptions from the surgery, and has been known to
deliver medication to the door, on his way home.
--
Alan Price

Jax

Jun 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/22/99
A short while ago, Alan Price <apr...@postern.demon.co.uk>
burbled........

>Our regular pharmacist advises if a prescribed item can be bought
>cheaper as a matter of course. He also keeps a database of regular
>customers and their medications, and in emergency will issue supplies
>then submit a repeat prescription request on your behalf to the surgery.
>He will pick up prescriptions from the surgery, and has been known to
>deliver medication to the door, on his way home.

Coo, you don't get many like that - Unfortunately.

--
Jax I intend to live forever - so far, so good.....

Kay Easton

Jun 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/23/99
In article <$E6TkLAX...@warboyz.demon.co.uk>, Jax
<J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> writes

Mine's like that too. Think it's something to do with living up north.

--
Kay - Decisive action in the hour of need
Denotes the hero but does not succeed

Hannah

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99
Kay Easton <k...@scarboro.demon.co.uk> writes

<snip>
and apologies for continuation of a rather revolting topic!

>>>and doesn't work :-(
>>
>>No? Does for me.
>Well, I was going to say 'lucky you' but on second thoughts no ... my
>cure of Lapsang Suchong by the gallon tastes much better. Even if I find
>myself resorting to the trimethoprim 50 per cent of the time.

So what's trimethoprim and can you get it OTC? I've never managed to
get a prescription for anything as the tests always come up negative.

>>>A good tip though ... most of the branded things have very similar
>>>cheaper alternatives. otoh, believing something will work seems to be a
>>>big factor in whether it does, so perhaps it's worth paying that extra
>>>money if it helps you believe in the product ;-)
>>
>><G> Perhaps that explains why Pot Cit works for me. Each mouthful makes
>>me feel like I'm going to throw up, therefore it _must_ be doing some
>>good. ;-)
>
>Perhaps you're right :-)

No alcohol and gallons of lemon barley does it for me. Maybe it just
works as it makes me so miserable!

Hannah

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99
Jax <J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> writes

>A short while ago, Hannah <han...@bellona.nospam.demon.co.uk>
>burbled........
>>Jax <J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> writes
>
>>>According to a programme I watched the other night, it is, Hannah.
>>>Something to do with a very warm spring followed by lots of rain. The
>>>acute pollen stage only lasts a couple of weeks though (grass), if
>>>that's any consolation.
>>>
>>Hmm. So am I at the beginning of the end of the two weeks?
>
>If it's grass you're having a problem with, you should be starting to
>see a light at the end of the tunnel. According to this programme,
>anyway.

I've still no idea what I'm reacting too. I seem to sniffle and sneexe
(I did spot this mistake but Malcolm wouldn't let me correct it!) with
no constant factor in sight.

>> And how on
>>earth do I tell if its actually hay fever?
>
>If your symptoms are coinciding with a high pollen count, I'd say it was
>a pretty safe bet. Allergen tests can be performed by the medical
>profession, but I doubt very much whether they would entertain it with
>someone presenting with the classic signs of hayfever during a very high
>pollen count period.

I found it impossible to get allergen tests at all round here. I had a
very unpleasant incident a few years ago where I had weals appearing on
various bits of my body. Itchy, hot, hard and painful; and at one point
half my face blew up like a balloon. The doctor refused to do tests in
case I went into shock in his surgery and so sent me to the local
hospital.
They prescribed an endless stream of antihistamines, mystery drugs and
even steroids but refused to do tests too - in case I went into shock.
They didn't seem to agree with me that anaphylactic shock in a hospital
was preferable to coming into contact with whatever it is I'm so
allergic to again elsewhere.

So I still have no idea what triggered it and spend my life examining
every gnat bite in case I'm about to blow up again and have to dash to
the A&E!

Hannah

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99
Malcolm Ogilvie <mal...@ogilvie.org> writes
>In article <oI3ZlrAj...@bellona.demon.co.uk>, Hannah <hannah@bellon
>a.nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>>Malcolm Ogilvie <mal...@ogilvie.org> writes
>>>In article <WMXWkvAk...@bellona.demon.co.uk>, Hannah <hannah@bellon
>>>a.nospam.demon.co.uk> writes

>>>This Malcolm never heard a thing, but I'm prolly too far away, you'll
>>>have to do it louder!
>>>
>>Well this Malcolm moans enough you'd think the sound would travel. To
>>be fair he's not the only one - people at work look at me rather oddly
>>as well. So am I alone in making revolting noises when eye rubbing?
>
>Let's have a .wav file and then a competition :-)

OK. SO how do I record the noise then and who's going to set the rules
about distance from the keyboard and so on? I could record me grinding
my teeth too if you like ;)

Jax

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99
A short while ago, Hannah <han...@bellona.nospam.demon.co.uk>
burbled........
>Kay Easton <k...@scarboro.demon.co.uk> writes
>>In article <3C5xVPAY...@warboyz.demon.co.uk>, Jax
>><J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> writes
>
><snip>
>and apologies for continuation of a rather revolting topic!

<G> I could come up with much worse...

>So what's trimethoprim

It's an anti-bacterial drug used to treat infections of the upper
respiratory tract and urinary tract.

>and can you get it OTC?

A frayed knot.

> I've never managed to
>get a prescription for anything as the tests always come up negative.

Are we still talking cystitis? If so, I'm surprised that you've had
'tests'. With such a common ailment, the doctor would normally
prescribe on the strength of your symptoms. You must have a very
thorough GP.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm all in favour of GP's being thorough.
IMO, far too many anti-biotics are dished out unnecessarily, leaving us
with nasties such as MRSA.

[Treatment]

>No alcohol and gallons of lemon barley does it for me. Maybe it just
>works as it makes me so miserable!

<G> You're right about the alcohol, but I'm surprised about the lemon
barley because it's acidic and would therefore exacerbate your symptoms.
The medical profession recommends drinking vast amounts of water and
steering clear of caffeine. Cranberry juice is supposed to be good
(although I don't know why), but personally, I'd rather have cystitis
than drink cranberry juice. Yuck!

HTH :-)
--
Jax. I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far
from being gruntled.... P.G.Wodehouse

B.E.Newsam

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99
Hannah SNAFU writes:
>They didn't seem to agree with me that anaphylactic shock in a hospital
>was preferable to coming into contact with whatever it is I'm so
>allergic to again elsewhere.

I think they were right. Anaphylactic shock is far worse, even in
hospital, than a swollen face.
--
Ben

Richard

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99
Some people said things, and then:-
Hannah wrote

>They prescribed an endless stream of antihistamines, mystery drugs and
>even steroids but refused to do tests too - in case I went into shock.

>They didn't seem to agree with me that anaphylactic shock in a hospital
>was preferable to coming into contact with whatever it is I'm so
>allergic to again elsewhere.
>

>So I still have no idea what triggered it and spend my life examining
>every gnat bite in case I'm about to blow up again and have to dash to
>the A&E!

Sheesh!

Mind you, the allergy tests may not help. They tested me at a time when
I was at my 'median' level as it were, and then told me I had a severe
allergy to corn. aka maize. I cut every scrap of possible corn input I
could identify from my diet for three months and it made not the
slightest jot of difference - which *I* knew full well would be the
case. So now I enjoy my cornflakes again, and custard, and beers... and
the only things that make me have sneezing fits are the things that have
*always* made me sneeze - such as spray on anti persps, and 'heavily'
perfumed washing agents of all descriptions. So I keep my life 'Simple'
now ;-)

Richard, whose Squeaky Chair can be seen at www.squeaky.demon.co.uk

So many men, so little time. -- Mae West

Richard

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99
Some people said things, and then:-
Hannah wrote

>>Let's have a .wav file and then a competition :-)

>OK. SO how do I record the noise then and who's going to set the rules
>about distance from the keyboard and so on? I could record me grinding
>my teeth too if you like ;)

Can I set the rules?

1. No binary postings to the ng

2. See 1

3. See 2

;-)

Richard, whose Squeaky Chair can be seen at www.squeaky.demon.co.uk

Conversation stopper:
My mother just told me we can't sleep together anymore.

Malcolm Ogilvie

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99
In article <3xWB2EC9...@squeaky.demon.co.uk>, Richard
<Ric...@pridge.uk.uk> writes

>Some people said things, and then:-
>Hannah wrote
>
>>>Let's have a .wav file and then a competition :-)
>>>
>>OK. SO how do I record the noise then and who's going to set the rules
>>about distance from the keyboard and so on? I could record me grinding
>>my teeth too if you like ;)
>
>Can I set the rules?
>
>1. No binary postings to the ng

Is it all right to send it as an ascii file, then?

>2. See 1

Ditto

>3. See 2

Ditto

>;-)

Ditto
--
Malcolm

Smudge

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
In article <2mH89VAD...@microser.demon.co.uk> B.E.Newsam wibbled
>Hannah SNAFU writes:

Exquise me, seems a little out of character, unless I am missing
something?

>>They didn't seem to agree with me that anaphylactic shock in a hospital
>>was preferable to coming into contact with whatever it is I'm so
>>allergic to again elsewhere.
>

>I think they were right. Anaphylactic shock is far worse, even in
>hospital, than a swollen face.

Far, far worse.

--
Smudge

Malcolm Ogilvie

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
In article <tLOrhOBZ...@bellona.demon.co.uk>, Smudge
<mal...@Smith.net> writes
A *very* promising young Scottish athlete has just died after eating a
trace of peanuts. Anaphylactic shock followed by heart failure.

And as someone who once, as a boy, went into shock following an allergic
reaction, I do not recommend it to anyone. Anyone who has identified
what it is that might send them into shock should carry an adrenalin
syringe around with them. The Scots lad didn't :-(

--
Malcolm

Hannah

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
Jax <J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> writes

>A short while ago, Hannah <han...@bellona.nospam.demon.co.uk>
>burbled........
>>Kay Easton <k...@scarboro.demon.co.uk> writes
>>>In article <3C5xVPAY...@warboyz.demon.co.uk>, Jax
>>><J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> writes
>>
>><snip>
>>and apologies for continuation of a rather revolting topic!
>
><G> I could come up with much worse...

I'm sure most of us girlies could, but we have to beware of the chaps
sensibilities donchaknow ;)

>>So what's trimethoprim
>
>It's an anti-bacterial drug used to treat infections of the upper
>respiratory tract and urinary tract.
>
>>and can you get it OTC?
>
>A frayed knot.

Buggeritall

>> I've never managed to
>>get a prescription for anything as the tests always come up negative.
>
>Are we still talking cystitis? If so, I'm surprised that you've had
>'tests'. With such a common ailment, the doctor would normally
>prescribe on the strength of your symptoms. You must have a very
>thorough GP.

I lived in Reading for a bit and visited my doctor there when I got
cystitis. He was a miserable toerag and assumed all his patients were
lying hypochondriacs. He refused to do anything about anything without
tests and pee'd me off endlessly. By the time I changed doctors I had
learned to cope with the problem without drugs, however it would be nice
to have a fallback in case it ever strikes really badly.

>Don't get me wrong though, I'm all in favour of GP's being thorough.
>IMO, far too many anti-biotics are dished out unnecessarily, leaving us
>with nasties such as MRSA.

Thorough is one thing. This man was a miserable git (IMO). My current
doctor is an absolute love. He assumes his patients have a brain and
some clue about what is wrong with them until they prove otherwise. He
also has a sense of humour, used to drink and smoke and is approachable
and human. Maybe I'll ask him about the trimethoprim next time I see
him.

Unfortunately he's somewhat older than me so I suppose he will give up
GPing before I give up needing one ;(

>[Treatment]
>
>>No alcohol and gallons of lemon barley does it for me. Maybe it just
>>works as it makes me so miserable!
>
><G> You're right about the alcohol, but I'm surprised about the lemon
>barley because it's acidic and would therefore exacerbate your symptoms.
>The medical profession recommends drinking vast amounts of water and
>steering clear of caffeine.

Alcohol is actually what seems to bring it on in the first place and
caffeine definitely doesn't help. I'm not sure about the reasoning
behind the lemon barley but a nurse (girlfriend of a friend rather than
consulted professionally) recommended it. I think it might be the
barley bit that's meant to help and it's not all that lemony so maybe
not too acidic? seems to help anyway.

> Cranberry juice is supposed to be good
>(although I don't know why), but personally, I'd rather have cystitis
>than drink cranberry juice. Yuck!

I'd forgotten that one. I was told to drink it as a preventative
measure - one wine glass full per night. I did it for a while but
couldn't really tell whether it worked or not as I don't suffer too
often anymore. It seems a bit strange though as cranberry seems
extremely acidic to me.

Tip for drinking Cranberry juice - I can't stand it neat but a wine
glass in a pint of sparkling water is really good.

>HTH :-)

Hannah

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
B.E.Newsam <b...@microser.demon.co.uk> writes

>Hannah SNAFU writes:
>>They didn't seem to agree with me that anaphylactic shock in a hospital
>>was preferable to coming into contact with whatever it is I'm so
>>allergic to again elsewhere.
>
>I think they were right. Anaphylactic shock is far worse, even in
>hospital, than a swollen face.

I'm not denying that at all. My concern was (and is) that I have no
idea what I'm allergic to and could inadvertently eat it (or whatever)
again. As I understand it allergies often get worse with each exposure
and I could therefore have an even worse reaction (possibly even
anaphylactic shock) without the benefit of being in a hospital.

BTW it *was* worse than just a swollen face. I looked basically like
someone had poured boiling oil over most of my body. I was really ill
and had about 5 weeks off work. The face swelling was just the most
visible thing for anyone else to see, and particularly alarming as it
happened so fast - a few hours at most from looking completely normal
(well as normal as I ever do ;) to several rounds with Mike Tyson. I
began to get quite scared when my lips began to swell and my tongue
started to feel too big for my mouth. Luckily it subsided.

I have some really revolting pictures I had Malcolm take to prove I
wasn't skiving if anyone wants to see them ;)

Hannah

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
Richard <Ric...@pridge.uk.uk> writes

>Mind you, the allergy tests may not help. They tested me at a time when
>I was at my 'median' level as it were, and then told me I had a severe
>allergy to corn. aka maize. I cut every scrap of possible corn input I
>could identify from my diet for three months and it made not the
>slightest jot of difference - which *I* knew full well would be the
>case.

I was tested as a child, in America, and they found me not allergic to
anything. I wonder if the tests failed to find it or if I've become
allergic to things since.

>the only things that make me have sneezing fits are the things that have
>*always* made me sneeze - such as spray on anti persps, and 'heavily'
>perfumed washing agents of all descriptions.

<aol>

> So I keep my life 'Simple'
>now ;-)

Unfortunately its impossible to avoid many of these things without
becoming a complete hermit. People on the train I catch to work wear
*way* too much smelly stuff IMO. Not only does it make me sneeze but
the combination is utterly revolting. I have a very strong sense of
smell that I wish I could turn off/down quite frequently. It's one of
my excuses for continuing to smoke as that dulls it somewhat.

Hannah

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
Richard <Ric...@pridge.uk.uk> writes
>Some people said things, and then:-
>Hannah wrote
>
>>>Let's have a .wav file and then a competition :-)
>>>
>>OK. SO how do I record the noise then and who's going to set the rules
>>about distance from the keyboard and so on? I could record me grinding
>>my teeth too if you like ;)
>
>Can I set the rules?
>
>1. No binary postings to the ng

Wouldn't know how to go about doing that anyway!

>2. See 1
>
>3. See 2
>
>;-)

How about I get Malcolm to make additions to the rogues gallery?

Nancy Boston

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
In article <3xQBWBCl...@squeaky.demon.co.uk>, Richard

<Ric...@pridge.uk.uk> writes

>Mind you, the allergy tests may not help.

Allergy tests oh yes. I used to suffer from catarrh and sinusitis.
Finally ended up in the ENT Department where the so-called "consultant"
asked me if I'd ever tried bathing the cat!!!!!! Obviously he had never
tried bathing my cat. Then we settled down to the allergy tests, a neat
little grid on my arm with droplets of stuff in each square. "You're
not allergic to anything", he said. "But what about these ones, they've
come up in huge lumps", I protested. "That's the histamine", he replied.

Anyway they did an op on the inside of my nose and now I can actually
breathe through it :)

--
NancyB
"Listen. We are here on earth to fart about. And don't let anybody

Richard

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
Some people said things, and then:-
Hannah wrote

>Richard <Ric...@pridge.uk.uk> writes
>>Some people said things, and then:-
>>Hannah wrote

>>>OK. SO how do I record the noise then and who's going to set the rules
>>>about distance from the keyboard and so on? I could record me grinding
>>>my teeth too if you like ;)
>>
>>Can I set the rules?
>>
>>1. No binary postings to the ng
>>
>Wouldn't know how to go about doing that anyway!

Oh good! ;-))

>>2. See 1
>>
>>3. See 2
>>
>>;-)
>>

>How about I get Malcolm to make additions to the rogues gallery?

Sounds good to me. Boom boom!

Richard, whose Squeaky Chair can be seen at www.squeaky.demon.co.uk

Carpe diem........ sieze the day
Carpe dime........ seize the coin

Richard

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
Some people said things, and then:-
Hannah wrote

>Richard <Ric...@pridge.uk.uk> writes
>>

>>Mind you, the allergy tests may not help. They tested me at a time when
>>I was at my 'median' level as it were, and then told me I had a severe
>>allergy to corn. aka maize. I cut every scrap of possible corn input I
>>could identify from my diet for three months and it made not the
>>slightest jot of difference - which *I* knew full well would be the
>>case.
>
>I was tested as a child, in America, and they found me not allergic to
>anything. I wonder if the tests failed to find it or if I've become
>allergic to things since.

You might well have done. Conventional thinking has it that we are more
susceptible to allergens as we grow older. I didn't start showing
symptoms until my mid thirties...

>>the only things that make me have sneezing fits are the things that have
>>*always* made me sneeze - such as spray on anti persps, and 'heavily'
>>perfumed washing agents of all descriptions.
>
><aol>
>
>> So I keep my life 'Simple'
>>now ;-)
>
>Unfortunately its impossible to avoid many of these things without
>becoming a complete hermit.

I know. ;(

>People on the train I catch to work wear
>*way* too much smelly stuff IMO.

Gawd yes!

>Not only does it make me sneeze but
>the combination is utterly revolting. I have a very strong sense of
>smell that I wish I could turn off/down quite frequently. It's one of
>my excuses for continuing to smoke as that dulls it somewhat.

That's my excuse too ;-)

Richard, whose Squeaky Chair can be seen at www.squeaky.demon.co.uk

When you starve with a tiger, the tiger starves last.

Richard

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
Some people said things, and then:-
Malcolm Ogilvie wrote

>>Some people said things, and then:-
>>Hannah wrote

>>>OK. SO how do I record the noise then and who's going to set the rules
>>>about distance from the keyboard and so on? I could record me grinding
>>>my teeth too if you like ;)
>>
>>Can I set the rules?
>>
>>1. No binary postings to the ng
>>

>Is it all right to send it as an ascii file, then?

No.

>>2. See 1
>>
>Ditto

Ditto

>>3. See 2
>>
>Ditto

Ditto

>>;-)
>>
>Ditto

Ditto

Richard, whose Squeaky Chair can be seen at www.squeaky.demon.co.uk

A man said his credit card was stolen but he decided not to report it
because the thief was spending less than his wife did.

Kay Easton

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
In article <n6F6JfAw...@bellona.demon.co.uk>, Hannah <hannah@bellon
a.nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>Kay Easton <k...@scarboro.demon.co.uk> writes

>>Well, I was going to say 'lucky you' but on second thoughts no ... my
>>cure of Lapsang Suchong by the gallon tastes much better. Even if I find
>>myself resorting to the trimethoprim 50 per cent of the time.
>
>So what's trimethoprim

an antibiotic

>and can you get it OTC?

Nope :-(

> I've never managed to
>get a prescription for anything as the tests always come up negative.

I have the advantage (?) that the blood clots are usually visible to the
naked eye.

>No alcohol and gallons of lemon barley does it for me. Maybe it just
>works as it makes me so miserable!

A hot bath and paracetomol takes away some of the side effects.

--
Kay Easton

Kay Easton

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
In article <LK++nOAd...@warboyz.demon.co.uk>, Jax
<J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> writes

>Are we still talking cystitis? If so, I'm surprised that you've had
>'tests'. With such a common ailment, the doctor would normally
>prescribe on the strength of your symptoms. You must have a very
>thorough GP.

I've seen three approaches
1) dipstick test followed by prescription
2) quick look 'no need to test *that*!' followed by prescription
3) prescription on the off-chance followed by test to see if we were
right.

>Don't get me wrong though, I'm all in favour of GP's being thorough.
>IMO, far too many anti-biotics are dished out unnecessarily, leaving us
>with nasties such as MRSA.

I think it helps that I've had good GPs wherever I've lived with whom
I've been able to develop a good relationship. Once they realise my
usual attitude to taking pills, they take the view that if *I* think I
need it, then I really must!

><G> You're right about the alcohol, but I'm surprised about the lemon
>barley because it's acidic and would therefore exacerbate your symptoms.

The same would apply to my lapsang souchong. I'd guess that both the
lemon barley and the lapsang encourage us to drink loads and loads of
'water' and the good results of the water outweigh the negative results
of the acidity.

>The medical profession recommends drinking vast amounts of water and
>steering clear of caffeine.

Why?

> Cranberry juice is supposed to be good
>(although I don't know why), but personally, I'd rather have cystitis
>than drink cranberry juice. Yuck!

But .. following the nasty citrate stuff we were talking about earlier
... wouldn't it then mean that it'd cure you instantly, on the
'something so horrible must be doing good' logic? ;-)

--
Kay Easton

Vivianne

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
In article <t1oIacAG...@bellona.demon.co.uk>, Hannah <hannah@bellon
a.nospam.demon.co.uk> wibbled ........

>Tip for drinking Cranberry juice - I can't stand it neat but a wine
>glass in a pint of sparkling water is really good.

how do you get into the pint glass....?

--
The Bible was written by the same people who said the Earth was flat.

Geep

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
In article <W1XGqnA6...@bellona.demon.co.uk>, Hannah <hannah@bellon
a.nospam.demon.co.uk> writes

>Unfortunately its impossible to avoid many of these things without
>becoming a complete hermit. People on the train I catch to work wear
>*way* too much smelly stuff IMO. Not only does it make me sneeze but

>the combination is utterly revolting. I have a very strong sense of
>smell that I wish I could turn off/down quite frequently. It's one of
>my excuses for continuing to smoke as that dulls it somewhat.

Hmm. Yes. Wonderful. I used to suffer from hayfever as a child, then
it faded as I got older, and, perhaps, as I began smoking. Gave up
smoking about seventeen years ago, I think, for four years. The worst
four years of my life - *everything* seemed to make me sneeze. Seemed
to be permanently allergic to something - even bright sunlight made my
eyes water, & my nose run. Couldn't go outside, at all, when abroad,
without sunglasses.

Started smoking again, after four years, and haven't suffered from
hayfever since. OK, I know hayfever and smoking are not a good
combination, and I'm probably storing up trouble for later, but at least
I'm avoiding the allergies ATM.
--
Geep

Cerian Bran

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
In article <j1TZCNAn...@binnsroad.demon.co.uk>, Geep
<ge...@binnsroad.demon.co.uk> writes

>In article <W1XGqnA6...@bellona.demon.co.uk>, Hannah <hannah@bellon
>a.nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>
>>Unfortunately its impossible to avoid many of these things without
>>becoming a complete hermit. People on the train I catch to work wear
>>*way* too much smelly stuff IMO. Not only does it make me sneeze but
>>the combination is utterly revolting. I have a very strong sense of
>>smell that I wish I could turn off/down quite frequently. It's one of
>>my excuses for continuing to smoke as that dulls it somewhat.
>>
>Hmm. Yes. Wonderful. I used to suffer from hayfever as a child, then
>it faded as I got older, and, perhaps, as I began smoking. Gave up
>smoking about seventeen years ago, I think, for four years. The worst
>four years of my life - *everything* seemed to make me sneeze. Seemed
>to be permanently allergic to something - even bright sunlight made my
>eyes water, & my nose run. Couldn't go outside, at all, when abroad,
>without sunglasses.

That's me that is :( So much for this new medication working - eyes
have been horrible for days now.

I seem to have an intolerance for malt.

>Started smoking again, after four years, and haven't suffered from
>hayfever since. OK, I know hayfever and smoking are not a good
>combination, and I'm probably storing up trouble for later, but at least
>I'm avoiding the allergies ATM.

I *really* do not want to take up smoking again just to see if it works
for me :)
--
Cerian

Jax

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
A short while ago, Hannah <han...@bellona.nospam.demon.co.uk>
burbled........
>Jax <J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> writes

>>If it's grass you're having a problem with, you should be starting to
>>see a light at the end of the tunnel. According to this programme,
>>anyway.
>>
>I've still no idea what I'm reacting too. I seem to sniffle and sneexe
>(I did spot this mistake but Malcolm wouldn't let me correct it!) with
>no constant factor in sight.

It could be that your reaction is to more than one allergen. In which
case, it looks like it's going to be a long summer. :-(

>I found it impossible to get allergen tests at all round here. I had a
>very unpleasant incident a few years ago where I had weals appearing on
>various bits of my body. Itchy, hot, hard and painful; and at one point
>half my face blew up like a balloon. The doctor refused to do tests in
>case I went into shock in his surgery and so sent me to the local
>hospital.

>They prescribed an endless stream of antihistamines, mystery drugs and
>even steroids but refused to do tests too - in case I went into shock.

>They didn't seem to agree with me that anaphylactic shock in a hospital
>was preferable to coming into contact with whatever it is I'm so
>allergic to again elsewhere.

Crikey! I have to say that I agree with you here. My argument would be
that next time it could be your neck that swells, leading to an airway
obstruction (don't panic, this isn't _that_ common).

>So I still have no idea what triggered it and spend my life examining
>every gnat bite in case I'm about to blow up again and have to dash to
>the A&E!

Can you remember whether you had been bitten at the time? Presumably
you also made a mental note of what you'd eaten.

I can fully appreciate you wanting to know the cause, if your reaction
was _that_ bad. Are there other doctors at the surgery? If so, perhaps
you could make an appointment with a different one and get a second
opinion.

Geep

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
In article <DqnF+4B0...@the-luggage.demon.co.uk>, Cerian Bran
<Cer...@the-luggage.demon.co.uk> writes
>>Started smoking again, after four years, and haven't suffered from
>>hayfever since.

>I *really* do not want to take up smoking again just to see if it works
>for me :)

<g> Err, no, prolly not a good idea :)
--
Geep Though we gotta say goodbye for the summer,
Darling, I'll promise you this,

Richard

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
Some people said things, and then:-
Nancy Boston wrote

>In article <3xQBWBCl...@squeaky.demon.co.uk>, Richard

><Ric...@pridge.uk.uk> writes
>>
>>Mind you, the allergy tests may not help.
>

>Allergy tests oh yes. I used to suffer from catarrh and sinusitis.
>Finally ended up in the ENT Department where the so-called "consultant"
>asked me if I'd ever tried bathing the cat!!!!!!

What??? Is he insane?

>Obviously he had never
>tried bathing my cat.

Darn right!

>Then we settled down to the allergy tests, a neat
>little grid on my arm with droplets of stuff in each square. "You're
>not allergic to anything", he said. "But what about these ones, they've
>come up in huge lumps", I protested. "That's the histamine", he replied.

LOL. So if you have anything that generates histamine you react to the
histamine?

>Anyway they did an op on the inside of my nose and now I can actually
>breathe through it :)

Neat ;-)

Richard, whose Squeaky Chair can be seen at www.squeaky.demon.co.uk

The best way to serve spinach is to someone else.

Georgina Allen

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
Nancy Boston <nan...@bostons3.demon.co.uk> scribbles

>Finally ended up in the ENT Department where the so-called "consultant"
>asked me if I'd ever tried bathing the cat!!!!!!

Ah ... so I'm not going mad then. I seem to remember someone else
telling me that you could bathe cats if you had an allergy to them. I
love cats, but being asthmatic has never been an aid to cat owning.
There is supposed to be a new injection thing coming out soon, but I
don't like touching any drugs until they've been in use a long long long
time.

>Obviously he had never
>tried bathing my cat.

That *would* be the problem! However, I'm told that if you start
when they're kittens they get "used" to it. I still don't think that the
advice could have come from anyone who ever owned a cat...

--
Georgina Allen (ICQ # 20807707)
"(A)bort, (R)etry, (P)anic, (I)nfluence with big hammer."

Craig Oldfield

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
In article: <DqnF+4B0...@the-luggage.demon.co.uk> Cerian Bran
> >In article <W1XGqnA6...@bellona.demon.co.uk>, Hannah <hannah@bellon
> >a.nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
> >
> >>Unfortunately its impossible to avoid many of these things without
> >>becoming a complete hermit. People on the train I catch to work wear
> >>*way* too much smelly stuff IMO. Not only does it make me sneeze but
> >>the combination is utterly revolting. I have a very strong sense of
> >>smell that I wish I could turn off/down quite frequently. It's one of
> >>my excuses for continuing to smoke as that dulls it somewhat.
> >>
> >Hmm. Yes. Wonderful. I used to suffer from hayfever as a child, then
> >it faded as I got older, and, perhaps, as I began smoking. Gave up
> >smoking about seventeen years ago, I think, for four years. The worst
> >four years of my life - *everything* seemed to make me sneeze. Seemed
> >to be permanently allergic to something - even bright sunlight made my
> >eyes water, & my nose run. Couldn't go outside, at all, when abroad,
> >without sunglasses.
> >
> That's me that is :( So much for this new medication working - eyes
> have been horrible for days now.
>
> I seem to have an intolerance for malt.
>
> >Started smoking again, after four years, and haven't suffered from
> >hayfever since. OK, I know hayfever and smoking are not a good
> >combination, and I'm probably storing up trouble for later, but at least
> >I'm avoiding the allergies ATM.
>
> I *really* do not want to take up smoking again just to see if it works
> for me :)

it burns it burns
--
Craig Oldfield

Richard

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
Some people said things, and then:-
Vivianne wrote

>In article <t1oIacAG...@bellona.demon.co.uk>, Hannah <hannah@bellon
>a.nospam.demon.co.uk> wibbled ........
>
>>Tip for drinking Cranberry juice - I can't stand it neat but a wine
>>glass in a pint of sparkling water is really good.
>
>how do you get into the pint glass....?

<choke> LOL

I was drinking coffe as I read this, hence the choke ;-)

Richard, whose Squeaky Chair can be seen at www.squeaky.demon.co.uk

My wife ran away with my best friend. I sure miss him.

Kay Easton

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
In article <t1oIacAG...@bellona.demon.co.uk>, Hannah <hannah@bellon
a.nospam.demon.co.uk> writes

>Thorough is one thing. This man was a miserable git (IMO). My current
>doctor is an absolute love. He assumes his patients have a brain and
>some clue about what is wrong with them until they prove otherwise. He
>also has a sense of humour, used to drink and smoke and is approachable
>and human. Maybe I'll ask him about the trimethoprim next time I see
>him.

There's lots of good GPs around. My advice would be to sign on with the
largest practice in your area, then try all the GPs in turn till you
find the one you like best.

>Alcohol is actually what seems to bring it on in the first place and
>caffeine definitely doesn't help. I'm not sure about the reasoning
>behind the lemon barley but a nurse (girlfriend of a friend rather than
>consulted professionally) recommended it. I think it might be the
>barley bit that's meant to help and it's not all that lemony so maybe
>not too acidic? seems to help anyway.

I've heard lemon barley recommended too.

--
Kay Easton

Jamie Harvey

Jun 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/28/99
Hannah (han...@bellona.nospam.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: Jax <J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> writes
: >A short while ago, Hannah <han...@bellona.nospam.demon.co.uk>
: >burbled........
: >>Kay Easton <k...@scarboro.demon.co.uk> writes

: >>>In article <3C5xVPAY...@warboyz.demon.co.uk>, Jax
: >>><J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> writes
: >>
: >><snip>
: >>and apologies for continuation of a rather revolting topic!
: >
: ><G> I could come up with much worse...
:
: I'm sure most of us girlies could, but we have to beware of the chaps
: sensibilities donchaknow ;)

Pah!

Working for a business which serves the elderly in all their forms
I'm *sure* I could give you two a run for your money.

--
Jamie
[']

Jax

Jun 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/28/99
A short while ago, Jamie Harvey <ja...@hornbeam.demon.co.uk>
burbled........

>Hannah (han...@bellona.nospam.demon.co.uk) wrote:
>: Jax <J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> writes
>: >A short while ago, Hannah <han...@bellona.nospam.demon.co.uk>
>: >burbled........
>: >>Kay Easton <k...@scarboro.demon.co.uk> writes
>: >><snip>

>: >>and apologies for continuation of a rather revolting topic!
>: >
>: ><G> I could come up with much worse...
>:
>: I'm sure most of us girlies could, but we have to beware of the chaps
>: sensibilities donchaknow ;)
>

>Working for a business which serves the elderly in all their forms
>I'm *sure* I could give you two a run for your money.

A challenge?

You've obviously not taken my line of work into consideration, sunshine.
I've had my hands in places that you didn't even know existed!

--
Jax.
No good opera plot can be sensible, for people don`t

Jax

Jun 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/28/99
A short while ago, Kay Easton <k...@scarboro.demon.co.uk> burbled........

>There's lots of good GPs around. My advice would be to sign on with the
>largest practice in your area, then try all the GPs in turn till you
>find the one you like best.

Concurrence!
--
Jax Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm

Hannah

Jun 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/28/99
Vivianne <vivi...@vanillapod.demon.co.uk> writes

>In article <t1oIacAG...@bellona.demon.co.uk>, Hannah <hannah@bellon
>a.nospam.demon.co.uk> wibbled ........
>
>>Tip for drinking Cranberry juice - I can't stand it neat but a wine
>>glass in a pint of sparkling water is really good.
>
>how do you get into the pint glass....?

Oh phooey. Caught again.
:-P

Hannah

Jun 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/28/99
Kay Easton <k...@scarboro.demon.co.uk> writes
>In article <n6F6JfAw...@bellona.demon.co.uk>, Hannah <hannah@bellon
>a.nospam.demon.co.uk> writes

>> I've never managed to

>>get a prescription for anything as the tests always come up negative.
>
>I have the advantage (?) that the blood clots are usually visible to the
>naked eye.

Definitely a dubious advantage. I had that the very first time only - I
had no idea what was wrong with me and it scared my silly.

Since then the first twinge and I start pouring fluid down me as fast as
physically possible so even if there is blood its so dilute I can't see
it.

Hannah

Jun 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/28/99
Richard <Ric...@pridge.uk.uk> writes

>Some people said things, and then:-
>Hannah wrote
>
>>Richard <Ric...@pridge.uk.uk> writes
>>
>>I was tested as a child, in America, and they found me not allergic to
>>anything. I wonder if the tests failed to find it or if I've become
>>allergic to things since.
>
>You might well have done. Conventional thinking has it that we are more
>susceptible to allergens as we grow older. I didn't start showing
>symptoms until my mid thirties...

Oh hell. Does this mean it will get worse and worse with each passing
year?

I seem to have a cold now and feel really crap ;( so who knows what the
sneezing was due to.

Hannah

Jun 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/28/99
Jax <J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> writes
>A short while ago, Hannah <han...@bellona.nospam.demon.co.uk>
>burbled........
>>Jax <J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> writes

>>I found it impossible to get allergen tests at all round here. I had a
>>very unpleasant incident a few years ago where I had weals appearing on
>>various bits of my body. Itchy, hot, hard and painful; and at one point
>>half my face blew up like a balloon. The doctor refused to do tests in
>>case I went into shock in his surgery and so sent me to the local
>>hospital.
>>They prescribed an endless stream of antihistamines, mystery drugs and
>>even steroids but refused to do tests too - in case I went into shock.
>>They didn't seem to agree with me that anaphylactic shock in a hospital
>>was preferable to coming into contact with whatever it is I'm so
>>allergic to again elsewhere.
>
>Crikey! I have to say that I agree with you here. My argument would be
>that next time it could be your neck that swells, leading to an airway
>obstruction (don't panic, this isn't _that_ common).

That was pretty much what I said - but far less clear and concise!

>>So I still have no idea what triggered it and spend my life examining
>>every gnat bite in case I'm about to blow up again and have to dash to
>>the A&E!
>
>Can you remember whether you had been bitten at the time? Presumably
>you also made a mental note of what you'd eaten.

No idea. It came on slowly over time - first itchy scalp so I suspected
a bite or shampoo maybe. Then weals around elastic lines so I suspected
washing powder. But nothing too serious so I had no real concerns - I've
reacted slightly to bio washing powder occasionally in the past.

Then it just got progressively worse (see details in another post) but
by the time I began to really worry I had no way of telling what I'd
eaten at the beginning :(

I worry when I get bitten not that the bite is a problem, but that it is
a recurrence of the allergic reaction and not a bite at all IYSWIM

>I can fully appreciate you wanting to know the cause, if your reaction
>was _that_ bad. Are there other doctors at the surgery? If so, perhaps
>you could make an appointment with a different one and get a second
>opinion.

Doctor wasn't really the problem - he told me he was not allowed to do
the tests and sent me to the hospital so that they would. Seemed
sensible to me as if I did have a reaction hospital has to be the best
place to be. It was the hospital that refused - did blood and urine but
wouldn't do skin tests. I have considered 'alternative therapy' tests -
I know homeopaths do them and have heard people report success but I'm
still a bit sceptical.

Hannah

Jun 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/28/99
Jax <J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> writes

>A short while ago, Jamie Harvey <ja...@hornbeam.demon.co.uk>
>burbled........
>>Hannah (han...@bellona.nospam.demon.co.uk) wrote:
>>: Jax <J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> writes

>>: >A short while ago, Hannah <han...@bellona.nospam.demon.co.uk>
>>: >burbled........
>>: >>Kay Easton <k...@scarboro.demon.co.uk> writes
>>: >><snip>
>
>>: >>and apologies for continuation of a rather revolting topic!
>>: >
>>: ><G> I could come up with much worse...
>>:
>>: I'm sure most of us girlies could, but we have to beware of the chaps
>>: sensibilities donchaknow ;)
>>
>>Working for a business which serves the elderly in all their forms
>>I'm *sure* I could give you two a run for your money.
>
>A challenge?
>
>You've obviously not taken my line of work into consideration, sunshine.
>I've had my hands in places that you didn't even know existed!

I've been meaning to ask for a bit - what is your line of work?

Hannah

Jun 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/28/99
Kay Easton <k...@scarboro.demon.co.uk> writes

>There's lots of good GPs around. My advice would be to sign on with the
>largest practice in your area, then try all the GPs in turn till you
>find the one you like best.

But, but, but my current GP is lovely. Can I wait till he retires
please?

Alan Price

Jun 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/28/99
In article <zhoZr+A1...@scarboro.demon.co.uk>, Kay Easton
<k...@scarboro.demon.co.uk> writes
>> Cranberry juice is supposed to be good
>>(although I don't know why), but personally, I'd rather have cystitis
>>than drink cranberry juice. Yuck!
>
>But .. following the nasty citrate stuff we were talking about earlier
>... wouldn't it then mean that it'd cure you instantly, on the
>'something so horrible must be doing good' logic? ;-)

I have it on good authority that cranberry juice does work- apparently,
it clears out bacteria which colonise the bladder before venturing
forth.

It works if you mull it and serve with a stick of cinnamon, too.

--
Alan Price

Richard

Jun 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/28/99
Some people said things, and then:-
Hannah wrote

>>You might well have done. Conventional thinking has it that we are more

>>susceptible to allergens as we grow older. I didn't start showing
>>symptoms until my mid thirties...
>
>Oh hell. Does this mean it will get worse and worse with each passing
>year?

A distinct possibility. Though it may level out after a few years.

>I seem to have a cold now and feel really crap ;( so who knows what the
>sneezing was due to.

Oh dear.

Richard, whose Squeaky Chair can be seen at www.squeaky.demon.co.uk

alex

Jun 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/28/99
In article <GMjd2RAr...@warboyz.demon.co.uk>, Jax
<J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> writes

>Concurrence!

You are Keef, and I claim my five pro-euro posts.
--
Alex

Andy Bodkin

Jun 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/28/99
In article <8ey8w2At...@bellona.demon.co.uk>, Hannah <hannah@bellon
a.nospam.demon.co.uk> writes

>I seem to have a cold now and feel really crap ;( so who knows what the
>sneezing was due to.

Oh bad luck. If it's the one I had three weeks ago, it's really nasty -
you'll be sneezing every quarter of an hour or so and have a lot of
aches.

Worse than that is that the cough after will never go (three weeks and
counting....)

--
Andy Bodkin

Jamie Harvey

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
: >A short while ago, Jamie Harvey <ja...@hornbeam.demon.co.uk>
: >burbled........
: >>Working for a business which serves the elderly in all their forms

: >>I'm *sure* I could give you two a run for your money.
: >
: >A challenge?
: >
: >You've obviously not taken my line of work into consideration, sunshine.
: >I've had my hands in places that you didn't even know existed!
: >
: I've been meaning to ask for a bit - what is your line of work?

Is this where I mention a tattoo with a list of charges?

<darfc>

--
Jamie
[']

Jamie Harvey

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
Jax (J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: A short while ago, Jamie Harvey <ja...@hornbeam.demon.co.uk>
: burbled........

[revolting topic!]

: >Working for a business which serves the elderly in all their forms
: >I'm *sure* I could give you two a run for your money.

: A challenge?

: You've obviously not taken my line of work into consideration, sunshine.
: I've had my hands in places that you didn't even know existed!

Quite possibly, but you deal with the fresh stuff, and presumably
previously healthy... I can deal in the death of parts of an
otherwise living body.....

--
Jamie
[']

KEITH

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
In article <GMjd2RAr...@warboyz.demon.co.uk>, Jax
<J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> writes
>A short while ago, Kay Easton <k...@scarboro.demon.co.uk> burbled........

>>There's lots of good GPs around. My advice would be to sign on with the
>>largest practice in your area, then try all the GPs in turn till you
>>find the one you like best.
>
>Concurrence!

I recognise that word...
--
Keith Crouch Yacht Club Regatta 26/27 June 1999
2nd, Class 4 IRC. 2nd, Stella Fleet. 6th O/all

Sue H

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
In article <Ei9yyCAN...@ilf0rd.demon.co.uk>,KEITH
<Ke...@ilf0rd.demon.co.uk> wrote...

>In article <GMjd2RAr...@warboyz.demon.co.uk>, Jax
><J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> writes
>>A short while ago, Kay Easton <k...@scarboro.demon.co.uk> burbled........
>>
>>>There's lots of good GPs around. My advice would be to sign on with the
>>>largest practice in your area, then try all the GPs in turn till you
>>>find the one you like best.
>>
>>Concurrence!
>
>I recognise that word...

I recognise that name!
--
Sue H

B.E.Newsam

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
KEITH KEITH writes:
>In article <GMjd2RAr...@warboyz.demon.co.uk>, Jax
><J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> writes
>>Concurrence!
>
>I recognise that word...

<*Waves*> Hello Keith!
--
Ben

Jax

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
A short while ago, Jamie Harvey <ja...@hornbeam.demon.co.uk>
burbled........
>Jax (J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk) wrote:

>: You've obviously not taken my line of work into consideration, sunshine.
>: I've had my hands in places that you didn't even know existed!
>
>Quite possibly, but you deal with the fresh stuff,

Believe me, most of the 'stuff' is definitely not fresh...

> and presumably
>previously healthy...

Umm, wouldn't that apply to your 'stuff' as well?

> I can deal in the death of parts of an
>otherwise living body.....

Eh?

--
Jax.
I have listened daily to 'Women`s Hour', and, quite

Jax

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
A short while ago, KEITH <Ke...@ilf0rd.demon.co.uk> burbled........

>>Concurrence!
>
>I recognise that word...

I recognise that name...

Wotcha, Rumps :-)

--
Jax.
To the Christian, there is no class distinction. The

Jax

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
A short while ago, Jamie Harvey <ja...@hornbeam.demon.co.uk>
burbled........
>Hannah (han...@bellona.nospam.demon.co.uk) wrote:

>: I've been meaning to ask for a bit - what is your line of work?
>
>Is this where I mention a tattoo with a list of charges?

Grrrrrrrr!

><darfc>

You can run but you can't hide...

--
Jax Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

Jax

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
A short while ago, Hannah <han...@bellona.nospam.demon.co.uk>
burbled........

>I've been meaning to ask for a bit - what is your line of work?

Umm, I'm a bit of a Jax of all trades, master of none.

I am a nurse, but actually do very little these days. I used to
specialise in Cardio-thoracic Intensive Care (post bypass, transplants,
etc.)

I've recently taken up a new post at the local college. I currently
lecture and examine in the subject of First Aid in the Workplace. I love
it! It's the only job I've ever had that I actually _look forward_ to
going to work :-)

--
Jax I have a spelling chequer, it came with my PC. It plainly marks
four my revue, mistakes I cannot sea. I've run this poem threw

Jax

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
A short while ago, alex <ctuygr...@lazysod.demon.co.uk>

burbled........
>In article <GMjd2RAr...@warboyz.demon.co.uk>, Jax
><J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> writes
>>
>>Concurrence!
>
>You are Keef, and I claim my five pro-euro posts.

The only similarities between Keef and myself, is our taste in lingerie
;-)

--
Jax Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Prof. Steven Hawking.

Jax

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
A short while ago, Kay Easton <k...@scarboro.demon.co.uk> burbled........
>>Are we still talking cystitis? If so, I'm surprised that you've had
>>'tests'. With such a common ailment, the doctor would normally
>>prescribe on the strength of your symptoms. You must have a very
>>thorough GP.
>
>I've seen three approaches
>1) dipstick test followed by prescription

A reasonable preliminary test, although the results in this case (blood
and protein) could be indicative of other ailments.

>2) quick look 'no need to test *that*!' followed by prescription

I nearly fell off my chair laughing when I read that. Thanks, Kay, you
made my day :-)

--
Jax When your back is against the wall, there's only one thing
to do... That's turn around and fight! John Major

Sally Hannington

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
Jax <J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> writes
>A short while ago, KEITH <Ke...@ilf0rd.demon.co.uk> burbled........

>>In article <GMjd2RAr...@warboyz.demon.co.uk>, Jax
>
>>>Concurrence!
>>
>>I recognise that word...
>
>I recognise that name...
>
>Wotcha, Rumps :-)

Hi Keith - come to get us organised? I think if we can just get those
tables over there, in a circle over here, we'll be sorted :)

BTW, why is Keith, Rumps? I've made the obvious link but where next?
--
Cheers, Sally

Haplo

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
In article <Ei9yyCAN...@ilf0rd.demon.co.uk>, KEITH wibbled:

><J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> writes

>>A short while ago, Kay Easton <k...@scarboro.demon.co.uk> burbled........
>>
>>>There's lots of good GPs around. My advice would be to sign on with the
>>>largest practice in your area, then try all the GPs in turn till you
>>>find the one you like best.
>>

>>Concurrence!
>
>I recognise that word...

Yo Mr Stanbury. Had a very nice rioja the other night that you would
have liked... 1989 Gran Reserva 904, from La Rioja Alta.

Tasting notes from their web site (www.riojalta.com):
"Ruby red in colour with noticeable depth, which points to a wine of
body and structure, rich in tannins. The bouquet is round and
fragrant, a mix of vinous aromas and sweet spices. In the mouth, the
initial impressions based on appearance are confirmed: elegant and
smooth, coupled with an excellent structure. Due to long bottle
ageing, the wine has developed harmonious, full and mature flavours,
with a long aftertaste. Gran Reserva 904 - 1989 is a tremendous wine,
which will continue to satisfy for many years to come."

Available from Waitrose Inner Cellar, but unfortunately 20 sovs a
snip. I'm pretty sure you'd like it - one for a special occasion?
Like any Tuesday?

--
Haplo

Hannah

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
Jamie Harvey <ja...@hornbeam.demon.co.uk> writes
>Jax (J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk) wrote:
>: A short while ago, Jamie Harvey <ja...@hornbeam.demon.co.uk>
>: burbled........
>

>[revolting topic!]
>
>: >Working for a business which serves the elderly in all their forms
>: >I'm *sure* I could give you two a run for your money.
>
>: A challenge?
>
>: You've obviously not taken my line of work into consideration, sunshine.
>: I've had my hands in places that you didn't even know existed!
>
>Quite possibly, but you deal with the fresh stuff, and presumably
>previously healthy... I can deal in the death of parts of an
>otherwise living body.....

Eeeewwwwww

Good job I'd finished dinner by the time I got to that post.

There's nothing...um...like that hanging around the house is there?

Smudge

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
In article <3785889f....@news.demon.co.uk> Haplo wibbled

>In article <Ei9yyCAN...@ilf0rd.demon.co.uk>, KEITH wibbled:
>>
>>I recognise that word...
>
>Yo Mr Stanbury. Had a very nice rioja the other night that you would
>have liked... 1989 Gran Reserva 904, from La Rioja Alta.

Hmm, who is this new delurker?

Welcome Sir, seems you have reasonable taste in wine. How do you feel
about ale?

<snip>

>Available from Waitrose Inner Cellar, but unfortunately 20 sovs a
>snip. I'm pretty sure you'd like it - one for a special occasion?
>Like any Tuesday?

You lush ;)

--
Smudge
FAQthingy at HTTP://www.bellona.demon.co.uk/alue.htm

Smudge

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
In article <e$hraRAtS...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> Jax wibbled

>A short while ago, Jamie Harvey <ja...@hornbeam.demon.co.uk>
>burbled........
>
>><darfc>
>
>You can run but you can't hide...

Actually he probably can, his garden is size FH.

Jamie Harvey

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
Jax (J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: A short while ago, Jamie Harvey <ja...@hornbeam.demon.co.uk>
: burbled........
: >Jax (J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: >: You've obviously not taken my line of work into consideration, sunshine.

: >: I've had my hands in places that you didn't even know existed!
: >
: >Quite possibly, but you deal with the fresh stuff,

: Believe me, most of the 'stuff' is definitely not fresh...

But how old is "not fresh" in your book?

: > and presumably
: >previously healthy...

: Umm, wouldn't that apply to your 'stuff' as well?

Nope. The health could have departed years before.

: > I can deal in the death of parts of an
: >otherwise living body.....

: Eh?

Exactly. Like details would you? ;)

--
Jamie
[']

Jamie Harvey

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
Jax (J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: A short while ago, Jamie Harvey <ja...@hornbeam.demon.co.uk>
: burbled........
: >Hannah (han...@bellona.nospam.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: >: I've been meaning to ask for a bit - what is your line of work?
: >
: >Is this where I mention a tattoo with a list of charges?

: Grrrrrrrr!

:-p

: ><darfc>

: You can run but you can't hide...

That's OK, I can *run*... can you? :)

--
Jamie
[']

Jamie Harvey

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
[...]

See, Hannah knew what I might be on about.

: There's nothing...um...like that hanging around the house is there?

No. I try not to take my work home with me. Actually, thankfully, I
only really hear the stories of what our delivery guy used to find
at client's. Or used to hear. He's dying of lupus himself now. :((((

--
Jamie
[']

alex

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
In article <i$skKuAZh...@warboyz.demon.co.uk>, Jax
<J...@warboyz.demon.co.uk> writes
>A short while ago, alex <ctuygr...@lazysod.demon.co.uk>
>burbled........
>>>Concurrence!
>>
>>You are Keef, and I claim my five pro-euro posts.
>
>The only similarities between Keef and myself, is our taste in lingerie
>;-)

Ah, right.

You like to wear it, Keef likes to look. :)
--
Alex

Jax

Jul 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/5/99
A short while ago, Sally Hannington <Sa...@hannington1.demon.co.uk>
burbled........

>BTW, why is Keith, Rumps? I've made the obvious link but where next?

When I first met Keef on disn, his eloquence, eminence and perspicacity
were reminiscent of Rumpole of the Bailey. The name sorta stuck ever
since.

HTH :-)

--
Jax Profanity is a crutch for inarticulate mother fuckers.

It is loading more messages.