Music inspired by arthurian legends

Daniel Rocher

Apr 29, 2001, 9:49:12 AM4/29/01
hello! I'm a french lover of arthurian legends and I recently discovered
this newsgroup. Sorry for the bad quality of my English.....

I'm searching musical works inspired by arthurian cycle (especially
classical works from Middle Age to XXth century: Opéras, cantates, symphonic
works.....).

I only know five of them:

*Henry Purcell (XVIIth c.): King Arthur, a sort of Opera or Theatral music;

*Richard Wagner (XIXth c.): Lohengrin
Parsifal: those two operas are
related with the Quest of the Holy Grail

Tristan und Isolde: if you accept the link between
Tristan legend and the Arthurian
legends

*Isaac Albeniz (1898): Merlin

a few words about this Opera: there is only one record of this work
Copyright 2000 DECCA Music Group limited (ref 467 096-2), direction Jose de
Eusebio, with the great Tenor Placido Domingo as king Arthur.

I hope some of you will help me to discover other musics based on arthurian
legends...

Bert Olton

Apr 29, 2001, 1:18:40 PM4/29/01
Dan,

Welcome to ALKA!

Your English is far better than my French would be - no need to
apologize at all.

Check the web site "The Camelot Project" at
<http://www.ub.rug.nl/camelot/>
Under the "Bibliographies" link you'll find Professor Jerome V. Reel's
extensive listing of Arthurian music at
<http://www.ub.rug.nl/camelot/acpbibs/reel.htm>.

Best regards,
Bert Olton

ALBERT F. JACKAMAN

Apr 29, 2001, 2:33:01 PM4/29/01
add to your list "Tintegal " Tone poem by Arnold Bax

Cherith Baldry

Apr 29, 2001, 3:49:12 PM4/29/01
Welcome to the group!

> I'm searching musical works inspired by arthurian cycle (especially
>classical works from Middle Age to XXth century: Opéras, cantates, symphonic
>works.....).

The recent opera 'Gawain' by Harrison Birtwistle.

I may come back to you when I've had time to have a think.

Best regards,
Cherith

L. Gay Palmero

Apr 29, 2001, 5:08:21 PM4/29/01
> > I'm searching musical works inspired by arthurian cycle (especially
> >classical works from Middle Age to XXth century: Opéras, cantates, symphonic
> >works.....).
>
> The recent opera 'Gawain' by Harrison Birtwistle.
>
> I may come back to you when I've had time to have a think.

'Gawain' I hadn't heard of, but there was another opera, King Arthur, by Henry
Purcell, though it was - if anything - rather loosely based. And there is a song
cycle based on Idylls of the King, called 'The Legend of King Arthur' by Elinor
Remick Warren. A recording of that one can be found, but I don't remember the
label. It stars Thomas Hampson, the baritone, as King Arthur, but I can't
remember who the tenor is... Sorry... I guess I'm not much help, am I?

---
L. Gay Palmero

Daniel Rocher

Apr 30, 2001, 10:10:10 AM4/30/01
> Under the "Bibliographies" link you'll find Professor Jerome V. Reel's
> extensive listing of Arthurian music at
> <http://www.ub.rug.nl/camelot/acpbibs/reel.htm>.
>
> Best regards,
> Bert Olton

Thank you very much...
...for this amazing list! There are many operas I didn't know and I want to
discover - like "Le Roi Artus" by Chausson or "Le chevalier de neige" by
George Delerue and Boris Vian... I asked the same question on a french
newsgroup of classical music, and the answers were not so interesting.

Peter Guy

Apr 30, 2001, 3:18:44 PM4/30/01
By no means opera, but British folk singer Maddy Prior has just released an
album including a song cycle based on the Arthurian legends.

Peter

"L. Gay Palmero" <g...@texas.net> wrote in message

richard wardle

May 1, 2001, 5:05:11 PM5/1/01
Peter Guy wrote in message ...

>By no means opera, but British folk singer Maddy Prior has just released an
>album including a song cycle based on the Arthurian legends.
>
>Peter

Great,thanks for the info - I'm off to buy it now

--
Regards Richard

Mankind is divided into three classes,
The rich,The poor and Those who have enough
Therefore abolish the rich and you will have no more poor,
For it is the few rich who are the cause of the many poor.

Peter Guy

May 2, 2001, 3:04:49 PM5/2/01
I hope you enjoy it. The other material on the album is good too :-)

Peter

"richard wardle" <ric...@wadl.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

kent...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2017, 11:34:56 PM4/13/17
Hallo Daniel

> I'm searching musical works inspired by arthurian cycle (especially
> classical works from Middle Age to XXth century: Opéras, cantates, symphonic
> works.....).

There are other Operas based on King Arthur. Karl Goldmark wrote one, called Merlin. A British Composer, Rutland Boughton wrote 4 operas for the Glastonbury Festival, but there are no recordings of them.

My favorite Arthurian orchestral Music is from films. Jerry Goldsmith wrote wonderful and noble Music for the film, First Knight. (The Music is much better than the actual film). Trevor Jones wrote a lovely, magical score for the TV miniseries. Merlin (1989).

Hope you enjoy.

best regards
Ken

roches...@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2018, 5:47:00 PM9/28/18
Website..........https://www.tramax-shop.com/

Website,,,,,,,,,,https://www.tramax-shop.com/shipping-information/

Website.........https://www.tramax-shop.com/contact-us/

CALL OR TEXT or watsapp ....+15088120377
Wickr id............rocheseller355
Email :.......roches...@gmail.com
WEBSITE.................https://www.tramax-shop.com/

hello we are leading suppliers of pharmaceutical product meds online we operate on daily and retails basis and very reliable and our product are 100% top quality am ready to supply on large and smaller orders and i am looking in building a strong business relationship with potential client around the world i do world wide delivery and delivery is guarantee.
see price list offer and pm me or you can get me on whatsapp
Ketamine hcl liquid 50mg/10mg
5 bottles/vials..........$200
10 bottles/vials.........$300
15 bottles/vials.........$350
20 bottles/vials.........$400
25 bottles/vials.........$600
50 bottles/vials.........$800
75 bottles/vials.........$1000
100 bottles/vials.........$1500
150 bottles/vials.........$2000
200 bottles/vials.........$2500 ..
ketamine £20 each vial/1g
ketamine powder each gram £25

FOR TRAMADOL APPLE FLAVOUR
tramadol 50mg 250pills £80
tramadol 100mg 300pills £90
tramadol 225mg 300pills £120
tramadol 50mg 500pills £130
tramadol 100mg 500pills £140
tramadol 250mg 500pills £150
tramadol 50mg 1000pills £200
tramadol 100mg 1000pills £220
tramadol 250mg 1000pills £250

FOR TRAMADOL BULK ORDER
tramadol 50mg 5000pills £450
tramadol 100mg 5000pills £550
tramadol 250mg 5000pills £700

i also have my delivery records all around the worlds and i providedated pictures with buyers name and my name CALL US OR TEXT ....+17546663823 email for detailsi supply more than the quantity listed,i give additional discount to more larger ordersi look forward in doing great business with reliable buyersthanks email for details CALL OR TEXT or watsapp ....+15088120377
Wickr id............rocheseller355
Email :.......roches...@gmail.com