Partial List of Doctor Glenn Kawesch's Refractive Surgery Casualties

Roger

Jun 3, 2003, 8:09:31 AM6/3/03

Glenn Hagele - Council for Refractive Surgery Quality Assurance

Jun 3, 2003, 9:56:56 AM6/3/03
This link states that Dr. Kawesch is a CRSQA Certified Refractive
Surgeon. This is inaccurate. Dr. Kawesch is not a certified surgeon.

Furthermore, it is my understanding that Dr. Kawesch has sold his
practice and is no longer actively practicing medicine.

Glenn Hagele
Executive Director
Council for Refractive Surgery Quality Assurance
http://www.usaeyes.org
glenn....@usaeyes.org

I am not a doctor.

Tom Malcolm

Jun 4, 2003, 1:27:30 PM6/4/03
> This link states that Dr. Kawesch is a CRSQA Certified Refractive
> Surgeon. This is inaccurate. Dr. Kawesch is not a certified surgeon.

> Furthermore, it is my understanding that Dr. Kawesch has sold his
> practice and is no longer actively practicing medicine.

Eeks, I had an eye done by him a few years ago. I believe the
casualties are related to the number of lasiks he did - eg,
if you do 25,000 of them, you might get 25 patients with
bad results. I always advise people with contacts to do just
1 eye - that way if something goes wrong, you still have
an eye - and, if you are nearsighted, you might not need
reading glasses if you just do one eye. I found Dr. Kawesh
professional and nice, a bit cocky and a salesman, but ok.

Roger

Jun 23, 2003, 3:29:16 PM6/23/03
Let us not forget -- several persons have experienced significant
damage to their eyes after laser eye surgery performed by Glenn
Kawesch.

Tom Malcolm

Jun 23, 2003, 3:43:57 PM6/23/03
> Let us not forget -- several persons have experienced significant
> damage to their eyes after laser eye surgery performed by Glenn
> Kawesch.
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=CRSQA+group:sci.med.vision&hl=en&lr=&i
e=UTF-8&group=sci.med.vision&selm=55496c96.0209091939.7f672972%40posting
.google.com&rnum=5

Maybe I had it done by a different guy - Gary Kawesch

Ragnar Suomi

Jun 23, 2003, 6:22:01 PM6/23/03
This is crap. Kawesh has not lost a single malpractice suit. Every
doctor gets sued at some point, few lose.
Kawesh DID lose a lawsuit over financial matters though. That doesn't
affect his surgeries.

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 19:43:57 GMT, tom...@hotmail.com (Tom Malcolm)

Glenn Hagele - Council for Refractive Surgery Quality Assurance

Jun 23, 2003, 7:41:17 PM6/23/03
Roger Bratt's post at the link above indicates that Dr. Glenn Kawesch
is a CRSQA Certified Refractive Surgeon. Dr. Kawesch's certification
was withdrawn many months ago. The doctor is NOT a CRSQA affiliated
surgeon. Dr. Kawesch is, however, currently certified by the American
Board of Ophthalmology.

Dr. Kawesch performed somewhere in the neighborhood of 30,000+
surgeries. With the current unresolved complication rate of 3% (0.5%
being catastrophic), then statistically there are quite a few patients
who received care from this doctor who would have unresolved
complications.

There is no doubt, however, that Dr. Kawesch attracted an inordinate
number of malpractice suits. No matter what their current or final
disposition of the individual suits, there are many doctors who have
provided equal or considerably more surgery without such problems.

David F. Mishiwiec Sr.

Jun 24, 2003, 6:48:04 AM6/24/03
Well something is up with Dr. Kawesch. The San Diego UT reported that
he plead guilty in federal court on May 7 (the day of my wife's lasik
procedure) under the RICO statutes. At the one week followup visit he
was still practicing in his La Jolla office. However, at our next two
visits we were informed that Dr. Kawesch is no longer performing any
surgeries and the a Dr. Aseille (sp?) is buying his practice. We saw
Dr. Aseille this past Sunday morning (that's right, he does office
visits on Sunday and he operates on Saturdays!) and when we tried to
get some definitive information on what was going on he basically said
that our contract with Dr. Kawesch would be honored in its entirety
and little else.

My wife will very likely need an enhancement procedure in 4 and
one-half months so we are not very happy with the situation. And to
add insult to injury all of the testamonial letters for Dr. Kawesch
are still hanging everywhere in the office. That's like a slap in the
face given the fact that he's no longer in the office at all. I just
wish I could get some real answers from someone about what's happening
with Kawesch.

A search of the CA State Office of Administrative Hearings web site
reveals hearings slated to begin on 6-30-03 for two cases, numbers
2002020077 and 2002090362. So I am guessing he's not practicing as the
Office of Administrative Hearings has these hearing scheduled through
the end of September for both cases. I cannot find any information on
either case and I am quite frustrated. If anyone has anything to help
shed light on what's going of then please feel free to email me at
davem...@hotmail.com.

Thanks in advance.

ycdbsoya

Jun 24, 2003, 11:51:18 AM6/24/03
It's time to contact an attorney to enforce your contract. Check to
see if there is a subrogation clause in your contract; if so, you're
stuck, if not you're on to something like breach. Then you sue in
small claims court to get your money back or you approach Kawesch's
lawyer for a settlement.

Go a step further and sue for malpractice and misrepresentation. Try
Michael Vallee in Solana Beach. He has successfully sued Kawesch and
won.

To find out more information about what's going on with him, try Carol
Lam at US Attorney's office, Denise Rubin at IRS, or the U/T article's
author, Cheryl Clark.

Do it quickly. His sentencing hearing is coming up soon, and chances
are he will be sharing a cell with a 300 lb post-RS victim named
Bubba. Be sure you show up at his sentencing hearing and give the
judge a few kind words about how you were treated. I will be doing
that. Hey, maybe Glenn Hagele will drop by and say a few choice
words...

ycdbsoya

Jun 24, 2003, 12:02:25 PM6/24/03
Raghead, you amaze me. I would submit that you really do have $hit for
brains, but that would be an insult to coprophiles.

I do enjoy your posts, tho. You are entertaining, sort of like
watching the special olympics for head injury victims. Be sure you
continue to go off your meds.

Glenn Hagele - Council for Refractive Surgery Quality Assurance

Jun 24, 2003, 1:20:05 PM6/24/03

>Well something is up with Dr. Kawesch. The San Diego UT reported that
>he plead guilty in federal court on May 7 (the day of my wife's lasik
>procedure) under the RICO statutes. At the one week followup visit he
>was still practicing in his La Jolla office. However, at our next two
>visits we were informed that Dr. Kawesch is no longer performing any
>surgeries and the a Dr. Aseille (sp?) is buying his practice. We saw
>Dr. Aseille this past Sunday morning (that's right, he does office
>visits on Sunday and he operates on Saturdays!) and when we tried to
>get some definitive information on what was going on he basically said
>that our contract with Dr. Kawesch would be honored in its entirety
>and little else.

Oh yes, something is definitely up with Glenn Kawesch (don't confuse
Glenn with his brother Gary who is an ophthalmologist of good standing
in San Jose).

He did get nailed in a tax scam and his medical license has been under
fire for months (albeit nothing proven and no sanctions). He has been
blasted in the San Diego press and it has already been mentioned that
he has had many lawsuits filed against him.

Dr. Kawesch has voluntarily stopped practicing medicine and Dr. Kerry
Assil has taken over his practice. It is not surprising that Dr.
Kawesch continues to "hang around" the office during the transition.
It is also not surprising that Dr. Assil and staff are going to tread
lightly about the issues that brought Dr. Kawesch to this point. On
the one hand they don't want to insult the doctor who is sitting in an
office down the hall, on the other the reason they took over the
practice is because of all of the issues that have been discussed
here. Dr. Assil and staff are most certainly between a rock and a
hard place.

>My wife will very likely need an enhancement procedure in 4 and
>one-half months so we are not very happy with the situation.

I am hopeful that Dr. Assil will honor all of Dr. Kawesch's original
commitments. It seems reasonable that he will do this as it is the
only way to keep patients happy. It is good business, and it is good
care for the patient. I'm sure that Dr. Assil knows that the patients
he is inheriting are going to be upset about all these changes, and
customer service with good medical care are the only things that are
going to salvage the situation.

>And to
>add insult to injury all of the testamonial letters for Dr. Kawesch
>are still hanging everywhere in the office. That's like a slap in the
>face given the fact that he's no longer in the office at all.

It is weird, isn't it? Of course, all those testimonials are from
real people who had good results. It is disconcerting to see them
when the doctor to whom they refer has left under...shall we
say...less than ideal circumstances.

>I just
>wish I could get some real answers from someone about what's happening
>with Kawesch.

I think that it makes better sense to get answers about what is
happening with Dr. Assil. For all intents and purposes, Dr. Assil
will be your wife's doctor from now on. Knowing what happens to Dr.
Kawesch may be interesting, but it will not likely affect your wife's
future treatment.

>A search of the CA State Office of Administrative Hearings web site
>reveals hearings slated to begin on 6-30-03 for two cases, numbers
>2002020077 and 2002090362. So I am guessing he's not practicing as the
>Office of Administrative Hearings has these hearing scheduled through
>the end of September for both cases. I cannot find any information on
>either case and I am quite frustrated. If anyone has anything to help
>shed light on what's going of then please feel free to email me at
>davem...@hotmail.com.

The cases are patients with diagnosed keratoconus who several years
ago received refractive surgery from Dr. Kawesch. Keratoconus is a
progressive disease that causes a bulging of the cornea due to
weakening of the tissue. Normally this weakening is due to thinning.

At the time, several doctors were attempting to delay the inevitable
corneal transplant that keratoconus patients will eventually endure by
LASIK or PRK. This is what Dr. Kawesch did. I'm not going to judge
if that was a reasonable decision at the time - the California Medical
Board will do that - but today a refractive surgeon would not provide
LASIK or PRK to a diagnosed keratoconus patient.

BTW, the refractive surgery procedure Intacs DOES reduce or halt the
progression of keratoconus, so there is help available to keratoconus
patients.

Kawesch already prevailed at an earlier hearing, and might even
prevail at this hearing, but this is a case that even if he wins the
battle he has lost the war. For many people, confidence in Glenn
Kawesch is lower than a snake's belly button. Even all the people in
those testimonials on the wall are probably wondering.

Scott Seidman

Jun 24, 2003, 3:34:48 PM6/24/03
the_bo...@hotmail.com (ycdbsoya) wrote in

> Go a step further and sue for malpractice and misrepresentation. Try
> Michael Vallee in Solana Beach. He has successfully sued Kawesch and
> won.

Can I ask where the malpractice is?? Does the need for an enhancement
constitute malpractice??

--
Scott
Reverse first field of address to reply

Roger

Jul 2, 2003, 3:47:29 PM7/2/03
The link provided lists 25 different cases involving 24 different
patients who have experienced damage to their eyes after surgery
performed by Glenn Kawesch.

Since that initial list was compiled, I have visited the courthouse,
and can now say that there are over 30 such cases that list Doctor
Glenn Kawesch as the defendant.

I have also spoken to a few patients who did not enter the court
system, and experienced damage to their eyes after surgery performed
by Glenn Kawesch.

Interestingly, Kawesch was a recipient of the CRSQA "Good Housekeeping
Seal of Approval" for a period of time.

Although Hagele makes verbal efforts to explain that he has severed
his ties with Kawesch in some way, shape, or form, the bottom line is
that, among the injuries that are catalogued here, many of those
surgeries occurred

WHILE KAWESCH WAS CRSQA - APPROVED.

So, what does CRSQA approval mean ?

Well, one thing we know for sure -- it means that a refractive surgeon
has given Hagele money.

Roger

Copyright 2003 Roger E. Bratt

Glenn Hagele - Council for Refractive Surgery Quality Assurance

Jul 2, 2003, 6:16:59 PM7/2/03
One of the strengths of CRSQA's certification is that we regularly
re-evaluate the doctors who have achieved certification. A doctor who
at one time meets our standards but later does not, will have the
certification withdrawn. Some ophthalmic certifications are lifetime.
Some are limited to 10 years, others to 7 years.

What Mr. Bratt elects to do is make some sort of negative inference
because Dr. Kawesch was at one time certified by our organization. At
one time, Dr. Kawesch met our requirements. At a later time, he did
not and was decertified.

Dr. Glenn Kawesch is not a CRSQA Certified Refractive Surgeon and has
not been for some time.