Indiana state trooper lauded as 'hero' for pulling over 'slowpoke' driver

1 view

David Fritz

Jun 19, 2018, 8:18:46 PM6/19/18
An Indiana state trooper’s tweet reminding people about the state’s so-
called “slowpoke” or “move over” law went viral Saturday.

Sgt. Stephen Wheeles, an Indiana State Police Public Information Officer
for the Versailles District, posted a photo of a car he pulled over for
violating a law that went into effect in 2015 – going too slow in the left
lane on the highway if a vehicle behind you is going faster, FOX 59
reported.

“I stopped this vehicle today for a left lane violation on I-65. The
driver had approximately 20 cars slowed behind her because she would not
move back to the right lane.” Wheeles wrote. “Again...if there are
vehicles behind you, you must move to the right lane to allow them to
pass.”

Sgt. Stephen Wheeles
?
@ISPVersailles
I stopped this vehicle today for a left lane violation on I-65. The
driver had approximately 20 cars slowed behind her because she would not
move back to the right lane.

Again...if there are vehicles behind you, you must move to the right lane
to allow them to pass.

11:40 AM - Jun 16, 2018
70.2K
27.6K people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Wheeles said he was overcome by support, as many people expressed their
frustration with drivers who go way too slow, some suggesting he move to
their state, get a raise, or receive the Nobel Peace Prize.

IndyCar driver Graham Rahal tweeted: “This guy is my hero. Fast lane
cruisers are one of my biggest frustrations!”

Former NFL Dallas Cowboys quarterback and Fox Sports analyst Troy Aikman
also tweeted his support: “Finally!”

“Wow…I am overwhelmed,” Wheeles said. “You all are amazing!! Just trying
to do my part to make the roadways safer for the traveling public.
Blessings…”

Wheeles also addressed people who had questions about the application of
the law, with one person asking if it applies even if the “slow” car is
going the speed limit.

“The spirit of the law is that since many people drive well above the
speed limit, it creates an ‘accordion effect’ as traffic starts backing up
behind the slower vehicle,” Wheeles said. “This is where many of our
crashes occur on the interstates. It’s all in the name of safety.”

Brian Hunt
@boilerbrian
16 Jun
Replying to @ISPVersailles
Even if you are driving the speed limit?

Sgt. Stephen Wheeles
?
@ISPVersailles
The spirit of the law is that since many people drive well above the
speed limit, it creates an “accordion effect” as traffic starts backing up
behind the slower vehicle. This is where many of our crashes occur on the
interstates. It’s all in the name of safety.

8:20 PM - Jun 16, 2018
1,530
241 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
But he added in another response that it isn’t intended to encourage
people to break the speed limit.

Hardcore Casual
@LendulTV
17 Jun
Replying to @ISPVersailles
what if you are going the speed limit? Wouldn't the car passing then be
the ones being unlawful?

Sgt. Stephen Wheeles
?
@ISPVersailles
This is in no way encouraging people to speed. Those speeders are
definitely in violation also. Vehicles all travel at different speeds. It
was put in place to keep left lane drivers (or the family ten cars back)
from getting run over by faster traffic while in the left lane.

2:12 PM - Jun 17, 2018
325
37 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
“This is in no way encouraging people to speed. Those speeders are
definitely in violation, also. Vehicles all travel at different speeds. It
was put in place to keep left lane drivers (or the family ten cars back)
from getting run over by faster traffic while in the left lane.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/06/18/indiana-state-trooper-lauded-as-hero-
for-pulling-over-slowpoke-driver.html