How to set up a local "SMS TEXT" for 100 homes for when we smell strong drift smoke

Arlen Holder

Oct 7, 2018, 6:52:22 PM10/7/18
How to set up a local "SMS TEXT" for when we smell strong drift smoke?

I'm receiving phone calls and emails left and right from neighbors who all
smell at this very moment strong drift wood smoke, meaning a fire is
'near', but where?
<http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incidents/?page=1>

There is this National Fire Situational Awareness Map:
<https://maps.nwcg.gov/sa/#/%3F/37/-122>

The Calfire Twitter says 911 is swamped with calls, so obviously 911 is not
the way to go to communicate the fire to the local neighborhood (about 100
or so phone numbers). <https://twitter.com/sccfiredept>

There are always local Patch and Hangouts that can be set up (some of which
already exist for our area), but not yet for the most local of the 100
homes.

And, of course, for the rare phone sans an FM radio, there are apps to get
on the local fire department frequency, such as
<https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/ctid/225>

Android: <https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.radioreference.broadcastify>
iOS: <https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/broadcastify/id1061211484>

And, of course, the local area news
https://abc7news.com/
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/
etc.

I know there is an email gateway to all the major carriers, e.g.,
14081...@tmomail.net (T-Mobile)
14081...@vtext.com (Verizon)
14091...@txt.att.net (AT&T)
<https://20somethingfinance.com/how-to-send-text-messages-sms-via-email-for-free/>
But that's a management nightmare.

But it might be nice to set up a local SMS (text) reflector for 100 homes.

Do you know of any decent Android or iOS software for managing a local SMS
broadcast message?

arlen michael holder

Nov 18, 2018, 11:14:22 AM11/18/18
On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 22:52:21 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

> How to set up a local "SMS TEXT" for when we smell strong drift smoke?

BTW, the phones were ringing as, even hundreds of miles away, we could
smell the smoke from the Camp Fire within hours, where the sky is still
blocked out with the smoke in the valley.