Ces and ses

Ed Cryer

Jul 16, 2015, 12:13:30 PM7/16/15
The song "La Mer" by Charles Trenet contains these verses;
La mer
Au ciel d'été confond
Ses blancs moutons
Avec les anges si purs
La mer bergère d'azur
Infinie

Voyez
Près des etangs
Ces grands roseaux mouillés
Voyez
Ces oiseaux blancs
Et ces maisons rouillées

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fztkUuunI7g

What's bothering me is "ces" and "ses". Do the French pronounce them the
same? How would they know that it's "ses" in the first verse, and "ces"
in the second?

Ed

Pierre Hallet

Jul 17, 2015, 4:08:59 AM7/17/15
Ed Cryer:

> Do the French pronounce them the same?

Yes, they do.

> How would they know that it's "ses" in the first verse, and
> "ces" in the second?

If the song were in English, would it say "its sheep" or "those
sheep", "its birds" or "those birds"? Depends on the context.
"Its sheep" (ses moutons) because they are the sea's sheep,
a part of the sea (its waves) but "those birds" because they
are not the sea's birds, but what is shown ("voyez" = "see,
look at").

Pierre Hallet (Brussels, Belgium)

Ed Cryer

Jul 17, 2015, 8:30:04 AM7/17/15
Thanks for the reply.
I understand the difference; and, I suppose, most contexts would make it
clear.
But I don't think context makes it too clear here; and I'd think that
many native French-speakers could easily swap them.

Ed

Pierre Hallet

Jul 17, 2015, 12:36:02 PM7/17/15
Ed Cryer :

> I understand the difference; and, I suppose, most contexts
> would make it clear.
> But I don't think context makes it too clear here; and I'd think
> that many native French-speakers could easily swap them.

Rather true in this case, yes. Now since the song is meant to
be heard and not read, it doesn't really make a difference...
unless someone has to translate it.

Pierre Hallet