gaz factory

kkwweett

Dec 3, 2007, 6:28:48 PM12/3/07
I'm French and I'm looking for an english translation of a french
expression ("usine a gaz") which is literally a gaz factory but which
means a working device or machine so complicated that it is highly
probable that it crashes very soon and that it is almost a miracle that
it is still working.

Is there an equivalent phrase in English ?

Thank you.

Pierre Hallet

Dec 4, 2007, 1:27:33 PM12/4/07
kkwweett :

> I'm French and I'm looking for an english translation
> of a french expression ("usine a gaz") which is

> literally [gasworks] but which means a working device

> or machine so complicated that it is highly probable
> that it crashes very soon and that it is almost a
> miracle that it is still working.
> Is there an equivalent phrase in English ?

My /Robert-Collins/ proposes "huge labyrinthine system".

(Une manière comme une autre de suggérer qu'il n'y a pas
d'équivalent convaincant. Mais attendons ce qu'en diront
des anglophones natifs.)

You might have also "Rube Goldberg machines" (should this
not ring any bell, just Google it). But then I suspect it
is not exactly what you had in mind. "Usine à gaz" is used
in French to refer to organizations or to administrative
processes, not to physical devices as such. I would say
that a Rube Goldberg machine works--in an absurdly complex
way, but it works--while an "usine à gaz" works by an
unlikely constant supply of miracles.)

Pierre Hallet

kkwweett

Dec 4, 2007, 4:17:49 PM12/4/07
Pierre Hallet a écrit :

> You might have also "Rube Goldberg machines" (should this
> not ring any bell, just Google it). But then I suspect it
> is not exactly what you had in mind. "Usine à gaz" is used
> in French to refer to organizations or to administrative
> processes, not to physical devices as such. I would say
> that a Rube Goldberg machine works--in an absurdly complex
> way, but it works--while an "usine à gaz" works by an
> unlikely constant supply of miracles.)
>
> Pierre Hallet

Thanks to your reply, I kwow now the Rube Goldberg machines. But you're
right, I rather have in mind the example of a software providing a
service for many years and for which many patches had been installed to
correct bugs, and patches'bugs and patches'patches'bugs and so on.

Pierre Hallet

Dec 4, 2007, 5:03:26 PM12/4/07
kkwweett :

> Thanks to your reply, I know now the Rube Goldberg

> machines. But you're right, I rather have in mind
> the example of a software providing a service for
> many years and for which many patches had been
> installed to correct bugs, and patches'bugs and
> patches'patches'bugs and so on.

That one is too easy. The English word is "Windows".

Pierre Hallet

Jim Heckman

Dec 5, 2007, 2:42:52 AM12/5/07

On 4-Dec-2007, "Pierre Hallet" <pierre...@skynet.be>
wrote in message <5rlkglF...@mid.individual.net>:

> kkwweett :
>
> > I'm French and I'm looking for an english translation
> > of a french expression ("usine a gaz") which is
> > literally [gasworks] but which means a working device
> > or machine so complicated that it is highly probable
> > that it crashes very soon and that it is almost a
> > miracle that it is still working.
> > Is there an equivalent phrase in English ?
>
> My /Robert-Collins/ proposes "huge labyrinthine system".

Beurk. Pas du tout une expression idiomatique tout faite, et lourde
d'ailleurs.

> (Une manière comme une autre de suggérer qu'il n'y a pas
> d'équivalent convaincant. Mais attendons ce qu'en diront
> des anglophones natifs.)

Perhaps "house of cards". That's an elaborate, scaled-down
building constructed with playing cards (cartes à jouer); the
slightest disturbance will cause the whole thing to collapse.

Rien de meilleur ne me vient à l'esprit en ce moment. Je conseille
au préopinant de poser sa question dans
<fr.lettres.langue.anglaise>, forum plus fréquenté que celui-ci.

> You might have also "Rube Goldberg machines" (should this
> not ring any bell, just Google it). But then I suspect it
> is not exactly what you had in mind. "Usine à gaz" is used
> in French to refer to organizations or to administrative
> processes, not to physical devices as such. I would say
> that a Rube Goldberg machine works--in an absurdly complex
> way, but it works--while an "usine à gaz" works by an
> unlikely constant supply of miracles.)

Your description of a Rube Goldberg machine is exactly right.
Not only is it absurdly complex, but there's an obvious, much
easier way to accomplish the same result.

--
Jim Heckman

kkwweett

Dec 5, 2007, 12:35:20 PM12/5/07
Pierre Hallet a écrit :
> kkwweett :

>> the example of a software providing a service for
>> many years and for which many patches had been
>> installed to correct bugs, and patches'bugs and
>> patches'patches'bugs and so on.
>
> That one is too easy. The English word is "Windows".
>
> Pierre Hallet

Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! In fact, I was thinking about a software I used to like a
few years ago (buzzmachines.com) but which I can't even install now
without a crash at the first launch. So I could say 'Buzz is a
windows-like software !'.

kkwweett

Dec 5, 2007, 12:38:49 PM12/5/07
Jim Heckman a écrit :

> Je conseille
> au préopinant de poser sa question dans
> <fr.lettres.langue.anglaise>,

ok I'll try.

> forum plus fréquenté que celui-ci.

par des francais anglophones ?

Thanks

Jim Heckman

Dec 5, 2007, 11:43:39 PM12/5/07

On 5-Dec-2007, kkwweett <kkww...@hotmail.fr>
wrote in message <4756e21f$0$25954$ba4a...@news.orange.fr>:

Oui, il y en a, mais aussi des gens de langue maternelle
anglaise -- dont moi -- qui parlent un peu de français.

--
Jim Heckman