ye doshaar Mirza Ghalib ke hain ??

Prem Joshi

Mar 7, 2014, 9:04:26 AM3/7/14
Dosto,

Is website pe do Ashaar:

http://urduwallahs.wordpress.com/

Ye do ashaar kafi popular hain:

"Umr bhar yehi bhool karta raha
Dhool chehre par thi aur aaina saaf karta raha "

Through life, I kept making this mistake again and again
The dust was on my face, and I kept wiping the mirror

"Chhod de ab use wafa ki ummeed,
Jo rula sakta hai who bhula bhi sakta hai"

Let go the idea of expecting loyalty,
One who can make you cry, can also forget you easily

Mere khayal main itne seedhe saade Ashaar, Mirza Ghalib ke nahi ho sakte !!!

Maine inhe Google kar ke check kiya, lekin Mirza Ghalib say inka koi
connection nahi mila . Ghalib ke Kalaam say connected kuch nahi mila. Sirf
kuch log ne ye ashaar istmaal kiye hai ghalib ka naam de kar.

Aap ki kya rai hai

PJ

vij...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2014, 1:01:28 PM3/7/14
These are out of meter, not ham-behr and rather prosaic in their meaning. On the link you have provided, I don't see a direct attribution to Ghalib other than the 'tag' reference, which also includes many other entries not by Ghalib. So, Joshi sahib, these couplets are not by (Asad Ullah Khan) Ghalib. But I am sure you have already ascertained that in your mind.

Regards,

Vijay

Mar 7, 2014, 9:59:39 PM3/7/14
it reminds me of a boss of mine. he used to write pathetic poetry (the ones you have mentioned are not bad though). his poetry was pathetic. ham bahr out of meter and such adjectives would be high praise for his poetry. but he was the boss. and the other guys couldn't care less. so he would recite his poetry and add the word ghaalib as a nom de plume in one of the lines. he would pass off his poetry as ghaalib's. everyone would say wah wah. one day i landed in this mehfil. aur bhanDaa phooT gayaa.

i became immediately unpopular with the boss. but i realised there are many others who add ghalib to lesser deserving lines to get instand and guaranteed appreciation.

it is a tried and tested method. it can work for very very bad poetry also. however you can make it a more effective duplicate by doing the following

1. have a couple of urdu words in the couplet (you can explain it to the audience and create a further air of authenticity)
2. make the two lines rhyme
3. have ghalib preferably in the second (or later) line

now let me try and write one such fake ghalib couplet. :)

log meraa naam lekar ashaar bahut likhte hai.n
(pause and say ashaar is plural of sher)
isee vajah se lagtaa hai, woh sher baazaar me.n bikte hai.n

mujhe samajh nahee.n aataa ki log dhokhaa kaise khaate hai.n
vaise to ye log ghaalib zahiin o daanishmand dikhte hai.n
(pause zahiin samjhe naa, intelligent, aur daanishmand means learned)

waah waah waah )
(

vij...@gmail.com

Mar 8, 2014, 7:59:33 AM3/8/14
That's funny. To add to the count, here is a text (SMS) to me from a very good and learned friend who purports to have a keen interest in sha'irii, and I produce it verbatim:

" Wonderful lines:

Iqbal says...

Udne de in pariNdoN ko azaad fizaa meN Ghalib...
jo tere apne hoNge wo lauT aayNge kisii roz

reply to Iqbal.....

na rakh ummiid-e-wafaa kisii parinde se Iqbal
jab par nikal aatey haiN apne bhii aashiaana bhuul jaate haiN"

Now, this is inaccurate at so many levels that it is in fact quite funny. Firstly, the verses are presented as if Iqbal and Ghalib are addressing each other and not using their names as taKhalus.

So this puts them as contemporaries, whereas Galib had been dead a few years before Iqbal was even born.

And then the ultimate insult: the lack of any poetic quality and any redeeming feature as to the depth of meaning.

This could be a long thread, but best to put a stop to it here, I think:-)

Vijay

Mar 8, 2014, 9:03:27 PM3/8/14
vijay saab

it hurts more that the perpetrators are extremely 'learned'. that is why i wonder why the people here - like naseer saab, you, raj saab, afzal saab and many others do not write books explaining poetry and sharing their favourite poetry (in devanaagri please), because the guys who are actually publishing works on urdu poetry are quite horrendous. the moment i see mijaaz in a book i stop reading it.

if i quote a couple of couplets people ask me why i haven't written a book. i am shocked by such statements. I tell them i am barely building up ability to be able to read books now (that too in devanaagri) and you want me to write a book!

par saab sochiyegaa. aap sab saahibaan ki kam az kam ek kitaab due hai. aur kuchh naheen to ek 'my favourite shaayari' qism ki kitaab. jismen roman aur devanaagri men sher ya nazm likhii ho aur aap uspar apnaa Teekaa pesh karen.

main dilli ke sabse baDe hindi library kaa sadasya hoon. duaa go hoon ki us library kaa 'new books' section kabhii aap saahibaan kii kitaab se zebaa.n ho.

inshaallaah.

vij...@gmail.com

Mar 10, 2014, 1:49:51 PM3/10/14
Ravi sahib, thanks for mentioning it but I know for a fact that I am no where near any of the greats that you name in your list. I still struggle with my 'j's ans 'z's for instance. I do agree though, that there is a dearth of the kind of books that you mention and I feel that Raj Sahib, for one, can easily produce something like that.

I am sure you are aware of this but there are books in Hindi script of the kind that you mention. I cut my teeth on the wonderful collection of Parkash Pandit books published by Hind pocket books and as a matter of fact, I still have a few of those. I am not sure if they are still readily available. Then there are some by 'Nanda'. I have an excellent book in Panjabi on poetry of Ghalib by one T.N. Raaz.

Does Delhi library have any of such books?

Best regards,

Vijay

Mar 10, 2014, 9:08:14 PM3/10/14
vijay saab

prakash pandit and goyaleeya were my staple fare. then there was a retired commander of the army called rajesh something. he came out with a three part volume called gaagar men saagar. there are countless books by bharatiya gyaanpeeth, basheer badr and other which have featured excellent collections. but while all of them give the meaning of the tough words, the bhaavaarth or the interpretation is generally always missing.

and this forum takes bhaavaarth to a different level altogether.

and while you might think you get your j and z mixed up, i have been observing you online for close to 15 years now. i think you could easily write this book. raj saab might write ten :), but you can surely write a couple of them.

as kabiir said

teraa saaii.n tujh me.n hai
tu jaag sake to jaag

:)

Anil Kala

Mar 10, 2014, 11:54:52 PM3/10/14
Actually a couple of books can be created from extracts of this newsgroup itself. All we need is some slick editing.