Urdu poetry club

Dinesh Shenoy

Aug 29, 2022, 10:48:30 PM8/29/22
Hello,

I am wondering if any of you are aware of a Urdu poetry club where members meet say, biweekly to discuss few works of a poet, topic, etc. that is decided in the previous session. This will force me to read Urdu poetry. Since I can't read Urdu script, sites like rekhta.org would be a good option. If none of us are aware of any such group, can we start one?

Dinesh

Naseer

Aug 30, 2022, 1:16:36 PM8/30/22
Dinesh SaaHib, aadaab.

I suppose it depends on where you are located. If our friends in ALUP or those who follow ALUP know where you are, they might respond if they happen to reside in the same area as you.

Sadly, ALUP is very inactive these days. We don't know how Afzal and Kala SaaHibaan are. Vijay SaaHib has voluntarily decided to refrain participation for the time being for his own reasons. Raj Kumar SaaHib's health has been preventing him from participating in recent times although it is quite possible he knows there is hardly anything happening here, anyway! Zoya SaaHibah and Irfan SaaHib have also been absent for a while. I hope all is well with them.

Have you thought about learning the Urdu alphabet? Just a thought?

Best wishes,
Naseer

Dinesh Shenoy

Aug 30, 2022, 8:13:26 PM8/30/22
.
<snip>
.
> Dinesh SaaHib, aadaab.

aadaab.

> I suppose it depends on where you are located. If our friends in ALUP or those who follow ALUP know where you are, they might respond if they happen to reside in the same area as you.

I live in Denver, USA but, I was thinking meeting virtually.

<snip>

> Have you thought about learning the Urdu alphabet? Just a thought?

Despite 'claiming' that I love Urdu poetry, I barely find time to read poetry in the scripts that I know - Roman or Devanagari. Not sure if I have the learning ability/time to learn Urdu script. After all, lack of time is the reason why I am exploring this "club" so that it forces me to read :)

Dinesh

Zoya

Sep 3, 2022, 1:44:19 PM9/3/22
Dinesh aur Naseer sahibaan,

aadaab,

First of all, let me admit that I really have no solid excuse for my extended absence from Alup. bas kuChh gham-e- dauraaN, kuChh gham-e- jaanaaN, life in general! :)

Dinesh sahib, I like your idea, but I don't know how well it can be executed. With everyone being generally busy, and living in different time zones, it may not be very practical. Let us float it anyway.

Meantime, I will send you the link for the monthly meeting of arbaab-e-zauq in DC area. They meet via zoom on first Sunday of every month, in the afternoon. I was introduced to them by Dr. Khalid Siddiqui, and have attended a few meetings. I really enjoy listening to their poetic discussions, very high quality. The next meeting is scheduled for tomorrow, Sunday, Sept 4. I will email the invitation to you, with the organizer's permission of course.

More later, bye for now.

_______Zoya