FAIZ - Transalation Needed

princeali

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98
Hi All,

I am in desperate need of a translation for the following Ghazal by
Faiz Ahmad Faiz:

Hum par tumharee chaah ka ilzaam hee to hai
Dush-naam to nahiN hai, yeh ikraam hee to hai

Kartay haiN jis peh ta'an, koi jurm to nahiN
Shauq-e-fuzool-o-ulfat-e-nakaam hee to hai

Dil na-umeed to nahiN, na-kaam hee to hai
Lambee hai GHam ki shaam, magar shaam hee to hai

Dast-e-falak maiN, gardish-e-taqdeer to nahiN
Dast-e-falak maiN, gardish-e-ayaam hee to hai

This is not the full Ghazal.

Thanx

Ali K

PS: Could you please post a reply to my address as well as the
newsgroup.

Surf Usenet at home, on the road, and by email -- always at Talkway.
http://www.talkway.com

il_...@yahoo.com

Sep 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/24/98
to prin...@writeme.com
In article <MT8M1.848$el4.2...@c01read02.service.talkway.com>,

"princeali" <prin...@writeme.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am in desperate need of a translation for the following Ghazal by
> Faiz Ahmad Faiz:
>
> Hum par tumharee chaah ka ilzaam hee to hai
> Dush-naam to nahiN hai, yeh ikraam hee to hai
>
> Kartay haiN jis peh ta'an, koi jurm to nahiN
> Shauq-e-fuzool-o-ulfat-e-nakaam hee to hai
>
> Dil na-umeed to nahiN, na-kaam hee to hai
> Lambee hai GHam ki shaam, magar shaam hee to hai
>
> Dast-e-falak maiN, gardish-e-taqdeer to nahiN
> Dast-e-falak maiN, gardish-e-ayaam hee to hai
>
> This is not the full Ghazal.
>
> Thanx
>
> Ali K
>
> PS: Could you please post a reply to my address as well as the
> newsgroup.

I have not seen any response to this post so far.
So, let me do the best I can.
First, the remaining verses from this beautiful ghazal :

Dil mudda'i ke harf-e-malaamat se shaad hai
Ai jaan-e-jaaN, yeh harf tera naam hi to hai

Aakhir to ek roz karegi nazar wafaa
Woh yaar-e-khush-khisaal sar-e-baam hi to hai

Bheegi hai raat Faiz, ghazal ibtida karo
Waqt-e-surod dard ka hangaam hi to hai

Now, a rough rendition:

What is the accusation against me? Merely this that
I am in love with you. Why should I worry about it ?
It isn't as if people have showered abuses on me.
Actually, I would say they have honoured me by accusing
me of being in love with you.

People are taunting me for my conduct, but that conduct
is no sin. After all, what am I actually engaging in ?
Nothing but pursuit of a fruitless cause (my love)
which is destined to remain unrequited.

My accusers are pouring blame on me (for being in love
with you). But I feel happy on this account. For, after
all, it is YOUR NAME that I hear, even when they berate me.

Although my love has been a failure so far, my heart has
not lost all hope. The evening of my sorrow is no doubt
very long, but---after all---it is still only the
evening ! (The dawn is still to come.)

The sky is inimical towards me (like all others in love).
But it can influence only some days of my life (and
invest them with travail). But then, it has no control
over my ultimate destiny ! I am bound to succeed one day.

I am constantly espying my love who is at the housetop
(terrace). One day, my vigil will definitely prove
fruitful. After all, my beloved is kind at heart and
is bound to respond positively once our eyes meet.

The night is now well-advanced. It is high time for
you (Faiz) to begin reciting your ghazal. When
your heart is riven with the pain of disappointment,
that in fact is the best time to commence your song.
(A hark-back to Shelley's theme : "Our sweetest songs
are those that tell of saddest thought.")

I hope this will be adequate for your purposes.

Afzal

Erslan Ashraf

Oct 14, 2021, 7:57:22 PM10/14/21
On Thursday, September 17, 1998 at 10:00:00 AM UTC+3, princeali wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am in desperate need of a translation for the following Ghazal by
> Faiz Ahmad Faiz:
> Hum par tumharee chaah ka ilzaam hee to hai
> Dush-naam to nahiN hai, yeh ikraam hee to hai
> Kartay haiN jis peh ta'an, koi jurm to nahiN
> Shauq-e-fuzool-o-ulfat-e-nakaam hee to hai
> Dil na-umeed to nahiN, na-kaam hee to hai
> Lambee hai GHam ki shaam, magar shaam hee to hai
> Dast-e-falak maiN, gardish-e-taqdeer to nahiN
> Dast-e-falak maiN, gardish-e-ayaam hee to hai
> This is not the full Ghazal.
> Thanx
> Ali K
> PS: Could you please post a reply to my address as well as the
> newsgroup.
> Surf Usenet at home, on the road, and by email -- always at Talkway.
> http://www.talkway.com

Below is translation:
So what if I am accused, I am accused of having a desire for you, that’s all.
It’s not a slanderous remark, it’s a badge of honor that’s all.

The one they blame me of, it is not a crime,
It’s a useless pursuit, it’s my unrequited love, that’s all.

My heart is elated from these humiliations, I am showered upon,
For even in those humiliations, there is a reference to you, after all.

Oh yes, I grieve, but I do not despair,
The dusk of sadness is long, but’s its just a dusk, that’s all.

In these dark skies, my destiny isn’t conspired,
In these dark skies, there are just stars, that’s all.

One day my eyes will look upon my beloved once again,
My beloved’s room has a terrace after all.

The night is crying, Faiz, start singing again,
This ominous music is a cue card that’s all.

Rizwan Mir

Jan 31, 2022, 11:44:44 PM1/31/22

for translation visit my blog https://rizzmir.blogspot.com/