Latin word for computer science

Christoph Mitterer

Jul 15, 2002, 2:54:08 PM7/15/02
Greetings.

Can anybody be so friendly to tell me the latin word for computer science.
Of course I know that the word computer did not exist in the original latin
language, but maybe there's a similar word.

Thanks, and cu

cam

Brion VIBBER

Jul 15, 2002, 5:51:37 PM7/15/02
Christoph Mitterer wrote:
> Can anybody be so friendly to tell me the latin word for computer science.
> Of course I know that the word computer did not exist in the original latin
> language, but maybe there's a similar word.

The most likely (modern) word would be "informatica" (cf. French
informatique, Spanish informática, Italian informatica), but of course
this is a neologism.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Edward Casey

Jul 15, 2002, 6:52:35 PM7/15/02

"Christoph Mitterer" <amu...@topas.org> wrote in message

At the following site you can see a couple of hundred examples of computer
terms in Latin as suggested by a Polish computer scientist/programmer who is
also a Latin enthusiast:

http://www.obta.uw.edu.pl/~draco/docs/voccomp.html

For "computer science" you could use "scientia, doctrina, doctrina,
disciplina or ars" along with the adjective "computatralis."
So, "scientia computatralis," etc. Computer is usually rendered as
"computatrum" or "ordinatrum."

Eduardus