Learning Latin

Cecil Westerhof

Mar 10, 2021, 3:28:03 PM3/10/21
I like to learn Latin. What are good free online resources to learn
it? (Money is a bit tight.)

When I want to say 'little hunter', is 'paullulum venator' then
correct?

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer

Ed Cryer

Mar 11, 2021, 4:55:08 AM3/11/21
Cecil Westerhof <Ce...@decebal.nl> wrote:
> I like to learn Latin. What are good free online resources to learn
> it? (Money is a bit tight.)
>
> When I want to say 'little hunter', is 'paullulum venator' then
> correct?

Maybe “paululus venator” but I’d prefer “parvus venator”.
You can get free online Latin textbooks from textkit.com.

--
Ed

Cecil Westerhof

Mar 11, 2021, 6:14:08 AM3/11/21
Ed Cryer <ecry...@hotmail.com> writes:

> You can get free online Latin textbooks from textkit.com.

And also Greek. :-D

Cecil Westerhof

Mar 11, 2021, 6:14:09 AM3/11/21
Ed Cryer <ecry...@hotmail.com> writes:

> Cecil Westerhof <Ce...@decebal.nl> wrote:
>> I like to learn Latin. What are good free online resources to learn
>> it? (Money is a bit tight.)
>>
>> When I want to say 'little hunter', is 'paullulum venator' then
>> correct?
>>

> Maybe “paululus venator” but I’d prefer “parvus venator”.

The venator part was correct at least. ;-)

What is the difference between paullulum, paululus en parvus?

> You can get free online Latin textbooks from textkit.com.

Thanks. I will look it up.

Ed Cryer

Mar 11, 2021, 7:06:21 AM3/11/21
Cecil Westerhof <Ce...@decebal.nl> wrote:
> Ed Cryer <ecry...@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> Cecil Westerhof <Ce...@decebal.nl> wrote:
>>> I like to learn Latin. What are good free online resources to learn
>>> it? (Money is a bit tight.)
>>>
>>> When I want to say 'little hunter', is 'paullulum venator' then
>>> correct?
>>>

>> Maybe “paululus venator” but I’d prefer “parvus venator”.
>
> The venator part was correct at least. ;-)
>
> What is the difference between paullulum, paululus en parvus?
>

>> You can get free online Latin textbooks from textkit.com.
>
> Thanks. I will look it up.

You need a dictionary at least to get going. And here’s a small piece of
advice; Google Translate is hopeless with Latin, trust not one word from
it.
There’s free app package called Diogenes which includes a good
dictionary;

https://d.iogen.es/web/?ver=1.003&user=other

--
Ed

Cecil Westerhof

Mar 11, 2021, 8:59:08 AM3/11/21
Ed Cryer <ecry...@hotmail.com> writes:

>>> You can get free online Latin textbooks from textkit.com.
>>
>> Thanks. I will look it up.
>>

> You need a dictionary at least to get going. And here’s a small piece of
> advice; Google Translate is hopeless with Latin, trust not one word from
> it.

That is what I used until now. I had my doubts.

> There’s free app package called Diogenes which includes a good
> dictionary;
>
> https://d.iogen.es/web/?ver=1.003&user=other

When I do a lookup, I get several times:
401 Unauthorized
Error: Type of user was not specified.

But at a certain moment it works. Gremlins I suppose.

Thanks.

Ed Cryer

Mar 11, 2021, 11:53:57 AM3/11/21
Cecil Westerhof wrote:

>>> Thanks. I will look it up.
>>>

>> You need a dictionary at least to get going. And here’s a small piece of
>> advice; Google Translate is hopeless with Latin, trust not one word from
>> it.
>
> That is what I used until now. I had my doubts.
>

>> There’s free app package called Diogenes which includes a good
>> dictionary;
>>
>> https://d.iogen.es/web/?ver=1.003&user=other
>
> When I do a lookup, I get several times:
> 401 Unauthorized
> Error: Type of user was not specified.
>
> But at a certain moment it works. Gremlins I suppose.
>

> Thanks.

Download the package. There's a Windows version and a Mac version;
https://d.iogen.es/d/download.html

Ed

Cecil Westerhof

Mar 11, 2021, 12:14:03 PM3/11/21
Ed Cryer <e...@somewhere.in.the.uk> writes:

>>> There’s free app package called Diogenes which includes a good
>>> dictionary;
>>>
>>> https://d.iogen.es/web/?ver=1.003&user=other
>>
>> When I do a lookup, I get several times:
>> 401 Unauthorized
>> Error: Type of user was not specified.
>>
>> But at a certain moment it works. Gremlins I suppose.
>>

>> Thanks.
>>

> Download the package. There's a Windows version and a Mac version;
> https://d.iogen.es/d/download.html

Sadly I am on Linux.

Ed Cryer

Mar 11, 2021, 2:43:10 PM3/11/21
Cecil Westerhof wrote:

>>> When I do a lookup, I get several times:
>>> 401 Unauthorized
>>> Error: Type of user was not specified.
>>>
>>> But at a certain moment it works. Gremlins I suppose.
>>>

>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> Download the package. There's a Windows version and a Mac version;
>> https://d.iogen.es/d/download.html
>
> Sadly I am on Linux.

Aaaghh! Noli me tangere! Sunt pestes sufficientes etiam nunc in nostro
universo.

Ed

Paul Carmichael

Jun 7, 2021, 5:52:04 AM6/7/21
El Thu, 11 Mar 2021 12:03:23 +0100, Cecil Westerhof escribió:

> Ed Cryer <ecry...@hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> You can get free online Latin textbooks from textkit.com.
>
> And also Greek. :-D

...if you can get access. Part of the signing up process is waiting for
somebody to reply to an email request for a code.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Paul Carmichael

Jun 7, 2021, 5:54:34 AM6/7/21
El Thu, 11 Mar 2021 18:08:16 +0100, Cecil Westerhof escribió:

>>> When I do a lookup, I get several times:
>>> 401 Unauthorized Error: Type of user was not specified.
>>>
>>> But at a certain moment it works. Gremlins I suppose.
>>>

>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> Download the package. There's a Windows version and a Mac version;
>> https://d.iogen.es/d/download.html
>
> Sadly I am on Linux.

"Packages for Linux

Minimum system requirement: Ubuntu 12.04, Fedora 21 or Debian 8."

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Paul Carmichael

Jun 7, 2021, 5:59:22 AM6/7/21
Just installed it. It says I have to go off and find some databases.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Paul Carmichael

Jun 7, 2021, 6:31:17 AM6/7/21
El Mon, 07 Jun 2021 09:52:02 +0000, Paul Carmichael escribió:

> El Thu, 11 Mar 2021 12:03:23 +0100, Cecil Westerhof escribió:
>
>> Ed Cryer <ecry...@hotmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> You can get free online Latin textbooks from textkit.com.
>>
>> And also Greek. :-D
>

> ...if you can get access. Part of the signing up process is waiting for
> somebody to reply to an email request for a code.

Whilst I'm waiting for my code, a quick question that you've all heard
many times. I know I could look it up, but this is my way of jumping in
here. I started to learn from D'ooge quite some time ago. I was quite
enjoying it and have no recollection of why I stopped. I have recently
started learning again, but just using Wheelock's.

The question: The D'ooge I have is OCR'd and poor quality. Is it worth
finding a printed copy and using it alongside Wheelock's?

Incidentally, I'm not new to inflexion. As I live in Spain, my day to day
language is Spanish and I've learned quite a bit of German, which is
heavily inflected.

Let the stoning begin :-)

PS: Just looked up D'ooge on Amazon. Kindle version 49c, hardback 25.29€
or paperback 5.98€.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Ed Cryer

Jun 7, 2021, 1:57:59 PM6/7/21
Let’s see how far you’ve progressed before making recommendations.

Responde Latine.
Quot dies sunt in mense Junio?

Edus

--
Ed

Paul Carmichael

Jun 8, 2021, 5:55:59 AM6/8/21
El Mon, 07 Jun 2021 18:57:58 +0100, Ed Cryer escribió:

> Paul Carmichael <wibble...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> PS: Just looked up D'ooge on Amazon. Kindle version 49c, hardback
>> 25.29€
>> or paperback 5.98€.

6€. Should arrive tomorrow.

> Responde Latine.
> Quot dies sunt in mense Junio?

30.

Truth is, I immediately saw "cuántos días hay en (el mes de) junio".

I just noticed that I was here some years ago and had a run in with a
rather obnoxious person. I feel that person may be a respected
contributor here, in which case I may well decline to partake of this
forum. I'll lurk though :-) Perhaps I'll return in disguise later.

Thanks anyway.

--
Paul.

Ed Cryer

Jun 8, 2021, 8:02:52 AM6/8/21
Thanks for corroborating my theory that Castilian is most like Latin.

This NG’s regulars have diminished greatly recently. Perhaps your persona
desagradable has left.

--
Ed

Paul Carmichael

Jun 8, 2021, 9:48:38 AM6/8/21
El Tue, 08 Jun 2021 13:02:51 +0100, Ed Cryer escribió:

> Paul Carmichael <wibble...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> 6€. Should arrive tomorrow.
>>

>>> Responde Latine.
>>> Quot dies sunt in mense Junio?
>>
>> 30.
>>
>> Truth is, I immediately saw "cuántos días hay en (el mes de) junio".
>>
>> I just noticed that I was here some years ago and had a run in with a
>> rather obnoxious person. I feel that person may be a respected
>> contributor here, in which case I may well decline to partake of this
>> forum. I'll lurk though :-) Perhaps I'll return in disguise later.
>>
>> Thanks anyway.
>>

> Thanks for corroborating my theory that Castilian is most like Latin.

Vocabulary wise, it's pretty close. I'd say the grammar's not so close.
Very little declension in Spanish. German, on the other hand...

> This NG’s regulars have diminished greatly recently. Perhaps your
> persona desagradable has left.

I'll come back when I feel a little more confident. I find the language
fascinating. Perhaps because I'm scientific (and ex programmer). After I
see something written in Latin, then the English or Spanish version, the
latter just looks so clumsy.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Paul Carmichael

Jun 9, 2021, 10:05:12 AM6/9/21
El Tue, 08 Jun 2021 09:55:57 +0000, Paul Carmichael escribió:

> El Mon, 07 Jun 2021 18:57:58 +0100, Ed Cryer escribió:
>
>> Paul Carmichael <wibble...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> PS: Just looked up D'ooge on Amazon. Kindle version 49c, hardback
>>> 25.29€
>>> or paperback 5.98€.
>
> 6€. Should arrive tomorrow.

And it did.

The preface mentions illustrations. There aren't any.

Lots of mistakes and bad English.

Circumflexes instead of macrons (even though the preface states that
macrons will be used).

Apostrophes instead of accents (so in between letters instead of over).

Basically, it's a printout of the crappy OCRd digital version. Supposed
to have been edited in 2019.

I could have printed it out myself. At least I'd have got the pictures.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Paul Carmichael

Jun 9, 2021, 10:28:19 AM6/9/21
It gets worse. All references to page numbers - guess what - yup, refer
to the original book, so totally meaningless. So, "learn the vocab on
page bla bla" doesn't work. And the entire index is useless.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Ed Cryer

Jun 10, 2021, 7:49:31 AM6/10/21
Return it to the Amazon seller, telling him all this, get your money
back; and then try here;
https://archive.org/details/latinforbeginner00doogrich/page/n25/mode/2up

Ed

Paul Carmichael

Jun 10, 2021, 10:49:35 AM6/10/21
El Thu, 10 Jun 2021 12:48:28 +0100, Ed Cryer escribió:

> Paul Carmichael wrote:

<D'ooge paperback from Amazon>

>>> Basically, it's a printout of the crappy OCRd digital version.
>>> Supposed to have been edited in 2019.
<snip>

> Return it to the Amazon seller, telling him all this, get your money
> back; and then try here;
> https://archive.org/details/latinforbeginner00doogrich/page/n25/mode/2up

Heh. Cheers. Have downloaded that.

I knew I'd used this stuff before so I went hunting on old disc drives and found this:

<http://185.219.27.69:1961/latin/Captura%20de%20pantalla%20de%202021-06-10%2015-37-14.png>

Will have to have a dig through it.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Jim Killock

Jun 15, 2021, 10:24:54 AM6/15/21
Also digitised properly here:

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/18251

philo

Jul 5, 2021, 3:46:18 PM7/5/21
Hope you don't mind a dumb joke.

Unfortunately, I learned Latin from a 1957 dictionary, so what I know is rather outdated.